Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I guess I get the honor of the first reply.

Thanks for the kind words. When I'm dining nightly on lobster, I'll think of you at home eating tough Texas Longhorn beef.

Hot off the presses from Mike Wengelar at KVUE:

Quote:
Hi Joe,
The schedule call for the end of June, but that is based on perfect weather conditions for the tower crew to construct the tower. The actual steel starts to rise above the trees hopefully the week of March 24th. The schedule still looks like June, but shoot me an email later and I will be happy to give you any breaking news regarding the schedule.

Yes, KLRU will be on our new tower with their DT antenna and the analog will remain on our old one until their lease expires in 2010 or whenever the FCC tells us to turn off the old NTSC stuff. Their transmitting equipment arrived today and installation has already begun.

Everything looks good for June, but stay tune and keep in touch.

Best Regards,

Mike Wenglar
Director of Engineering
KVUE Television Inc.
From this I gather

-- KLRU is using the KVUE tower even as we suspected.
-- a June "start" date is optimistic -- assuming we continue to have the rain we have been having lately
-- This fits with the July/August time frame that Dusty Granberry of KEYE/CBS and David Kuipers of PBS/KLRU have reported.
-- things are progressing

Later

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCA Television Service Information (DTV306/7 and ITC222)
post #3 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Can you FEDEX me some of that tasty Maine/New Englan Lobster? You have a good point there. :D

I find it funny how when it rains/fogs in the least, all construction in all of Austin is halted. Case in point: I35/Ben White. If it sprinkles, that construction site is a ghost town. Maybe I can understand, b/c of dirt shifting issues. But the tower... come on. As long as it's not windy, they should be able to toss that steel right up there!!! Just my uninformed, "I want HDTV yesterday" opinion. Heheheh
post #4 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 08:37 AM

Joe,

Thanks for the thread and all of the help you have given us!

You could give us a going away present by checking with your TWC sources about ESPN HD! :D

Best of luck! Do check in from time to time. If it wasn't for you, I'd missed the Superbowl! Sniff, Sniff.

JA
post #5 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

*grin*

I have tried to check with my source at TW (shall we call him "TWeep Throat"?)....

H/she hasn't been able to help -- from what h/she says, negotiations with ESPN are going on at a national level. This is good news -- it means that ESPN-HD will probably be rolled out on a national level rather than at a local here and a local there.

From the programming forum, I found these Time Warner related announcements:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...18#post1964818

Quote:
Here's the latest from Time Warner in LA today (3/7):

Unfortunately, we will not be launching ESPN in high definition on the March 30, 2003. However, we will be broadcasting ESPN in high definition in the coming months. Please visit http://www.accesstimewarner.com as it comes available.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Time Warner Cable
(888)TW-CABLE
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...10#post1969310

Ken H (AVS Forum HDTV Moderator)
Quote:
I can't comment on everything I know, but I'll tell you what I can. Some of it is public knowledge, other info is from sources who wish to be anonymous.

There have been ongoing discussions between ESPN & every provider they currently are available on, regarding carriage of ESPN-HD.

In the DBS area, all my sources say Dish Network is a done deal and will be available from the March 30th inception date, baring technical issues. DirecTV is another matter. I believe they will carry it, but I don't know when. I also believe anything is still possible, including the March 30th date.

For cable:
"...it will be available through more than half the major cable operators when it launches March 30, said Sean Bratches, ESPN's executive vice president, affiliate sales and marketing. He said deals are in place with several smaller cable systems and agreements are close to being completed with the majority of the majors. The deals are part of larger agreements that offer operators future price breaks on affiliate fees for the main ESPN network in exchange for carrying a larger number of ESPN properties. Those additional properties include ESPN HD and Spanish-language network ESPN Deportes as well as interactive services rolled out in the last two years."
Ken went on to say:

Quote:
To my knowledge there are no public announcements from any provider. It's too much of a coincidence for this to be anything but a ESPN requirement.

One of two things will happen, either there will be one big press release or a bunch of individual ones. In any event it won't be too much longer.

There are several posts over in the programming forum that are also worth reading.

The long and the short of it is that while we may not see ESPN-HD right away we probably will soon. There isn't too much we can do to push Time Warner, except to request ESPN-HD locally. You could call AOL Time Warner's invester relations number at 1-866-INFO-AOL or email them at AOLTimeWarnerIR@aol.com -- Comcast users seem to be taking this approach, but I'm not sure how far it will get us. Unfortunately, with a conglomerate like AOL-Time Warner, there isn't too much that can be done on a local level to push them.

Joe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 11:16 AM

Will there be a separate thread for San Antonio? I have not heard a peep from that thread for several weeks. I think it was called Big Three in SA? I cannot even find it! (or maybe I dont know how)
For DR Joe: Best of everthing in yor new location! I decided a long time ago that Tx is for me! I was born in NYC in 29, left it in 50 and hung my hat here in the mid 80s to loaf in the sun. I can get lobster here at HEB but I can't Tiptoe through snow sleet, frozen salty slush, brave the Nor'easters etc etc. In truth, there ain't no perfect place, and Ihave been pretty happy everywhere I have ever parked with my family
post #7 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Robert, thank you for assuming stewardship of this thread.
post #8 of 1149 Old 03-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Robert, Chris; thanks for taking over the thread, this has been a great source of information. DrJoe, thanks again for all the good information and enjoy the lobster. That and sub 100 degrees August's.

Has anyone heard more on Fox "HD" on TW? Last I'd heard was March 1st but unless I'm missing something that didn't happen. I'd love to catch "24" in Widescreen.

Oh, and looks like the championship game from the San Antonio NCAA basketball tournament bracket will be in HD, hopefully I'll catch my Horns in HD!
post #9 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Here you go: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=137205

I found it by doing a search in the Local HDTV Forum, and searching for "San Antonio".

Quote:
Originally posted by paulbehnke
Will there be a separate thread for San Antonio? I have not heard a peep from that thread for several weeks. I think it was called Big Three in SA? I cannot even find it! (or maybe I dont know how)
post #10 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Has anyone with a TWC HDTV box done the unplug/re-plugin thing so that the box will search for new HD channels? Can anyone try it (Chris?)? Maybe that will tell us if FOX or any other HD channels for that matter, have gone live on TWC.

Other than that I have no new info.
post #11 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Just did the unplug/replug thing last night while trying to get HBO-HD to not break up (signal strength problems), and I didn't see any new channels near KVUE-HD or KEYE-HD.
post #12 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Actually, strike that:

Channel 1501: KTBC-DT.
post #13 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I have it (1501) today too.

Joe

post #14 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Updated on the list....

Chris/Joe - thanks for checking!
post #15 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 07:48 AM

Rob...Thanks but within a hour of my ? the site was reactivated...first time since Feb 27th! Guess I am impatient. I tried the search by using "Big Three.. etc but I guess I fed the computer too much junk and got no match.
post #16 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Paul,
A couple of things may have happened:

1) you didn't have your thread history set to go far enough back.

2) The thread really was inactive, but somebody had bookmarked it and was able therefore able to access and finally posted to it again, thus making it active again. I think really old threads are accessible as long as you have the #? Just speculation on my part though. Glad you found it!!

If you happen to come across any info that my be helpful on this thread, please let us know.
post #17 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 08:49 AM

Good to see KTBC-DT listed in the TW guide. However, as of about 11am I'm getting no picture or sound on the channel, is that the case for everyone?

Also, since this thread contains information about Waco, San Antonio, and other central Texas areas, I think perhaps the thread title should reflect that. Just a suggestion.

post #18 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 09:07 AM

Agree...would help "newbees"
post #19 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good point. We're trying to keep the theme of the original thread going... so I have now changed it. :D
post #20 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

As far as the title goes, maybe so... but...

When I started the Austin/San Antonio/Waco thread, I was very ambitious. I had hope that folks in Southern Austin could pull in San Antonio stations (of which there have been no reports of success), just as Northern Austin can pull in Waco. I had also hoped for more "action" from folks in San Antonio and Waco. It turned out that the information regarding San Antonio's HDTV market has had very little application to Austinites, and that San Antonio folks have mostly stuck to the "Big Three" thread (one other suggestion for Paul is to "subscribe" to it -- that way every time there is a reply to it you receive an email notification of it) -- getting info on San Antonio issues has been quite a problem. There really haven't been many responses from Waco. If you go back and look at the just closed Austin/San Antonio/Waco thread, perhaps one post out of 25 was from a San Antonio or Waco person -- hence my suggestion to Robert that he make the title of the new thread the "Official Austin HDTV Thread".

Perhaps a title like "Official Central Texas HDTV Thread" would be slightly more appropriate. Of course, no matter what the title of the thread is, folks from San Antonio and Waco, and information regarding their local stations, are very welcome.

edit in: Of course, you know that didn't change the thread title -- just the title of the first post. I'm not sure how you go about changing the thread title -- maybe drop the administration a note.

Later

Joe

post #21 of 1149 Old 03-12-2003, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Dr Joe,
You are right. I never noticed that the thread name didn't change.

Before I wrote my last post, I waivered between keeping it "Austin ONLY" and making it for all. And after thinking about it for a while, I just figured it wouldn't hurt to have it "open" to all, since that is the way the thread originally was. It didn't seem to cause any confusion or stray topics.

Well... I'm leaving the thread title what it is. If Waco/SA people stop by and chime in... cool. Otherwise, SA people have a perfectly good thread going, and the Waco folks can start one. :)
post #22 of 1149 Old 03-13-2003, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Does anyone in N. Austin have luck picking up the high-power CBS-DT station in Waco? I've not given it a shot yet b/c it will mean moving a bunch of sutff in my attic so I can rotate my antenna to that direction.

I'm sure people have, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it for a while, so I cannot remember
post #23 of 1149 Old 03-13-2003, 04:53 PM

Yes, it is certainly possible, I have done it in the past. At the moment I can't quite get maximum strength, though, I believe because my antenna rotator doesn't actually rotate 360 degrees and it appears I am couple of degrees off from getting the best reception. Either that or they have reduced power or I am just picking up the signal worse than I used to. I'm still going with my antenna is just out of position. Bottom line is that you should be able to pick it up with a decent outdoor antenna. I can also pick up NBC-DT out of Temple/Belton.

post #24 of 1149 Old 03-14-2003, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertCooper
Does anyone in N. Austin have luck picking up the high-power CBS-DT station in Waco? I've not given it a shot yet b/c it will mean moving a bunch of sutff in my attic so I can rotate my antenna to that direction.

I'm sure people have, but I haven't seen anyone talk about it for a while, so I cannot remember
Robert,

I live near Round Rock hospital and pick it Waco CBS fine on most nights with a RS U-75 antenna in my attic. It has periods of signal drop-out on some nights depending on the weather, but most of the time it comes in fine.

With my antenna pointing at Waco, I still get KXAN from the backside with decent signal strength so I don't need to get a rotor. I can't wait for KEYE to up its signal so I can turn the antenna towards Austin and get really good signal for CBS!

Tony
TV: Vizio M702i-B3
Sound: Vizio S5451w Sound Bar
Remote: Harmony One
post #25 of 1149 Old 03-14-2003, 11:36 AM

Saw this on another forum and thought it would be a good FYI item for us. Here's the NCAA schedule for next week! Can't imagine why KEYE DT won't carry these games on TWC. I'm pumped. This off a press release.

"Coverage will include 12 High Definition games starting with first-round action from Birmingham, Ala., on Friday, March 21 (four games) and Sunday, March 23 (two games), as well as South Region action in San Antonio, Friday, March 28 (two games) and Sunday, March 30 (one game). The first eight games will be regionalized broadcasts, while the South Region final in San Antonio, the two national semi-final games and the National Championship Game will be national broadcasts."

Hopefully the local Horns will be included. Better start making the Guacamole dip!

JA
post #26 of 1149 Old 03-14-2003, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. I will try this weekend. I just cannot consciously invite people over for the spectacle that is: The Masters in HD -- if KEYE-DT is a bit too flakey for my tastes.

Hopefully CBS Waco will be a little more solid. With such a big antenna, I didn't think it would be that much of a problem. Maybe I'm doing something wrong??

Quote:
Originally posted by tony_ansley
Robert,

I live near Round Rock hospital and pick it Waco CBS fine on most nights with a RS U-75 antenna in my attic. It has periods of signal drop-out on some nights depending on the weather, but most of the time it comes in fine.

With my antenna pointing at Waco, I still get KXAN from the backside with decent signal strength so I don't need to get a rotor. I can't wait for KEYE to up its signal so I can turn the antenna towards Austin and get really good signal for CBS!
post #27 of 1149 Old 03-15-2003, 01:59 PM

After adjusting my antenna, I am getting solid reception out of Waco again, in the 70s from KWTX-DT (CBS) on my signal strength meter. This is from NW Austin. Of course I'm now getting 90-100 on KEYE-DT, so pointing toward Waco doesn't get me anything I can't get out of Austin.

post #28 of 1149 Old 03-16-2003, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

With UT getting the #1 seed in the South and playing in Birmingham for the first two rounds, that means that every game they play in the tournament will be in high definition. Just in case you guys didn't already know that.
post #29 of 1149 Old 03-16-2003, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertCooper
Can you FEDEX me some of that tasty Maine/New Englan Lobster? You have a good point there. :D

I find it funny how when it rains/fogs in the least, all construction in all of Austin is halted. Case in point: I35/Ben White. If it sprinkles, that construction site is a ghost town. Maybe I can understand, b/c of dirt shifting issues. But the tower... come on. As long as it's not windy, they should be able to toss that steel right up there!!! Just my uninformed, "I want HDTV yesterday" opinion. Heheheh
Rob,
Before you commit an egregious error and show your upended tutu, you may want to visit the actual construction site as the guest of one of the parties involved if they will have you after what you've just spouted above. Remember?? Facts, facts, facts. Stacking a tower is a very tedious business, because of a lot of factors, which (sheesh) you may want to discuss with someone who has more info on the subject than you.

Smags

"THEE" RF source.
post #30 of 1149 Old 03-16-2003, 05:43 PM

I hadn't had the chance to check all the details yet, but that would would be incredible! Gosh, looks like I'll have lots of guests for the games!
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page