Grand Junction, CO - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 409 Old 09-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the site, I am a novice (always had cable) what is a rotor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 409 Old 09-07-2009, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A rotor is a little motor that lets your rotate your antenna so that you can point it right at the broadcast tower. You might want to try a directional antenna pointed at the KREX tower without a rotor. The other stations' signals might be strong enough to work.
post #363 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke910 View Post

I am also having trouble with KREX. I recently switched to Direct TV and the installer was able to get all of the local stations on my HD DVR except KREX. He was back today and moved the antenna up higher on my house. He checked the signal strength and it is only about 30%, all the other locals are 95% or better. He told me I could get another antenna. My question is does anyone have a suggestion for a better antenna?

I have written multiple emails to KREX and their engineer concerning NO SIGNAL ACQUIRED on my Directv receiver.
I get all the other channels at 60%+ in the local area. NBC, ABC, FOX, and PBS all great on an expensive amp'd inside antenna... and I never have to adjust it. CBS-KREX? I have no idea. The engineer says adjust the antenna, something is interfering, wants me to quiz my local neighborhood about what they can pick up.... I refuse to get an outdoor antenna just to pick up the single local channel I have never been able to pick up at all... not even a hint of being able to receive it. I live in Palisade, and have a clear view of the valley, there is NOTHING around me that would interfere. I just simply stopped watching CBS... if KREX does not want to fix their problems in the valley so be it.
post #364 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleithaus View Post

I have written multiple emails to KREX and their engineer concerning NO SIGNAL ACQUIRED on my Directv receiver.
I get all the other channels at 60%+ in the local area. NBC, ABC, FOX, and PBS all great on an expensive amp'd inside antenna... and I never have to adjust it. CBS-KREX? I have no idea. The engineer says adjust the antenna, something is interfering, wants me to quiz my local neighborhood about what they can pick up.... I refuse to get an outdoor antenna just to pick up the single local channel I have never been able to pick up at all... not even a hint of being able to receive it. I live in Palisade, and have a clear view of the valley, there is NOTHING around me that would interfere. I just simply stopped watching CBS... if KREX does not want to fix their problems in the valley so be it.

It's just bad luck that your indoor antenna sits in a blind spot for KREX. Despite plentiful signal available outdoors, how much of that gets indoors depends upon construction materials and other blockages, just like cell-phone coverage. An outdoor antenna would overcome those blockages, but the suggestion to move your indoor antenna left/right/up/down looking for a KREX "hot-spot" inside is valid.
post #365 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Unfortunately, KREX is operating digitally on channel 2. Stations on channel 2 are probably the hardest to receive of any channel, due to needing enormous antennas just to have a hope of getting the signal. KREX is even worse, operating at only 0.8 kW on channel 2.

If you want KREX, you're likely going to need an outdoor antenna. I can't see an indoor antenna working well for that signal at all.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #366 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 08:11 AM

The engineer didn't mention 4-2? At least you can watch KREX on a strong subchannel in standard definition.

Since connecting an internet ready PC to my TV, I'm increasingly bypassing KREX, KRMJ and RMPBS whether they're working or not, and streaming shows from the CBS website, the PBS website and Charly Rose's website among others. The local signals are gradually becoming irrelevant.
post #367 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Molnar View Post

It's just bad luck that your indoor antenna sits in a blind spot for KREX. Despite plentiful signal available outdoors, how much of that gets indoors depends upon construction materials and other blockages, just like cell-phone coverage. An outdoor antenna would overcome those blockages, but the suggestion to move your indoor antenna left/right/up/down looking for a KREX "hot-spot" inside is valid.

Huh... Well, I did move the antenna around the room. Up/down/left/right and I found a hot spot for everything but CBS. Now I have 90+ on everything EXCEPT CBS. Still zero. Not even a hint of a signal. I have reset my receiver more than once. Nothing has changed in months... I just don't understand how I can have 90+ on everything but CBS. I really don't understand how CBS can permit this situation to continue. Seriously, you should not require an outdoor antenna to pick up local stations.... especially, and one more time... when you can pick up EVERYTHING ELSE! I am just not willing to invest in one with no certainty that it would actually pick up a signal.

Will CBS reimburse me when the OUTDOOR antenna does not work? Will Radio Shack give me my money back on an antenna that does not work after I have already banged it around? Will any local installer work with me to determine the best antenna? I doubt it.
post #368 of 409 Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleithaus View Post

Huh... Well, I did move the antenna around the room. Up/down/left/right and I found a hot spot for everything but CBS. Now I have 90+ on everything EXCEPT CBS. Still zero. Not even a hint of a signal. I have reset my receiver more than once. Nothing has changed in months... I just don't understand how I can have 90+ on everything but CBS. I really don't understand how CBS can permit this situation to continue. Seriously, you should not require an outdoor antenna to pick up local stations.... especially, and one more time... when you can pick up EVERYTHING ELSE! I am just not willing to invest in one with no certainty that it would actually pick up a signal.

Will CBS reimburse me when the OUTDOOR antenna does not work? Will Radio Shack give me my money back on an antenna that does not work after I have already banged it around? Will any local installer work with me to determine the best antenna? I doubt it.

As Trip has pointed out, KREX's digital spectrum makes reception difficult, even with an expensive amp'd indoor antenna. The best solution for viewers not wanting an outdoor antenna is for KREX to upgrade their transmission to a suitable frequency and discard their current transmitter and antenna. Time will tell if KREX can survive without over-the-air viewers with problematic reception indoors.
post #369 of 409 Old 09-23-2009, 07:42 PM

I agree about not watching KREX because of their signal problems. I have moved my antenna around everywhere I can reach with a 15 ft cable. I have found one place in my TV room that get me enough signal to watch a show. Unfortunately, the signal is heavily digitized, and it requires cables stretched across the room from my A/V area.

This means only one thing: I will not watch KREX for anything in which I am not willing to drag the antenna across the room, which mean every show except Broncos games. Sorry KREX, but if I cannot easily get your signal less than 5 miles from your broadcast tower (its a lot closer than any of the other towers), you have problems. Especially when, in the words of dleithaus, I can easily pick up EVERYTHING ELSE.

I only hope someone at KREX reads these threads.
post #370 of 409 Old 09-23-2009, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

KREX also has a problem with distorted audio. Ever since they went local with HD amonth or so back, there is level dependent static in both channels. I have called at least five times, left messages with the engineer etc. Bottom line is KREX doesn't give a crap. The static also appears on Bresnan feeds, BTW.

But man does their new building and news set look nice!
post #371 of 409 Old 10-12-2009, 07:20 PM

Why is it ALWAYS something with KREX? Digital distortion, audio clipping, no HD, a new giant five on all programming and now 5.1 is so weak during prime time even my $120 rooftop antenna (which I had to buy two years ago to get 5.1 at all - all other channels come in with a small indoor antenna) can't get a signal. The fire was almost two years ago now and they still can't get it right...

People are starting to notice - there's even clips on youtube now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO8inChwAgM

Calling KREX is a complete waste of time - the engineer does not seem to care anymore, he just tells me about the fire, the PBS building, the move, the equipments failures, the cooling problems and how many miles of cable are in the building...he does not actually address any of the problems.

KREX has a monopoly on all CBS program in GJ - so I don't think it's asking too much for a clean picture, strong signal or the removal of that giant five.

The Youtube clip mentions an advertiser boycott by some kids at mesa state - but is light on details. I doubt that will work, but if advertisers received enough calls that would pressure KREX (one would hope).

If 5.1 isn't strong enough for me to watch Letterman in HD tonight I'll start calling myself. Here what is posted next to the youtube clip:

"KREX is a CBS affiliate in Colorado that suffers constant technical issues - poor image and sound quality, low signal strength on HD 5.1 due to several SD sub channels, In October 2009, new intrusive branding on top all programming began . The station burned down in January 2008 - was rebuilt and now is plagued with problems they acknowledge they either can not or will not address. A boycott of local advertisers is being organized spearheaded by students at Mesa State College.

If you would like to help please contact:
KREX: 970-242-5000 or Hoak Media Corporation Phone: 972-960-4848

Current local advertisers:
Denver air connection
Twin crossings furniture
Rockslide Brewery
Hospice and Palliative Care of Western Colorado
The Sleep Factory
Interior Resource
Precision Printing
ACS
Mor Storage Sales
Americas Mattress
Harbert Lumber
Fuoco Motor Co
Best Appliance and Electronics"
post #372 of 409 Old 10-17-2009, 04:43 AM

G1273 -- Thanks for the link.

I have written yet one more letter to Philip Mowbray.
Somehow I do not find it "odd" at all that the street I live on in Palisade does not pick up KREX. No response from "Phil". Not that I expected one. Does anyone have some exact email addresses for individuals in Hoak Media and/or CBS corporate and/or the FCC?

Mr. Mowbray,

I expected that when KREX got its transmitter fully operational that I would be able to pick up KREX.
With all other local stations -- ABC, FOX, PBS, and NBC -- broadcasting in HD-Digital, I can get these stations at 90-100% signal strength.
Yes, really.... 90-100% for everything but KREX.
Still NOTHING, NO SIGNAL AT ALL, NOT EVEN A HINT OF A SIGNAL, from KREX.
I tried an outdoor antenna.
STILL Nothing on signal. No signal from on the roof? Using a signal meter?
I refuse to spend another dime on this problem.

I have polled my neighbors. Two of them have Dish, so it is not a point with them.
The others do NOT receive KREX over any antenna.
I guess they are not Broncos fans, because it does not seem to be an issue with them.
I applied for a waiver from Direct TV so I could get a west coast feed of CBS.
CBS denied this waiver.

I am still in the same position as I was early this year.
NO KREX.
NO SUNDAY FOOTBALL ON CBS.

Really, what does it take?
All I want is to get local CBS or a national feed.

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Philip Mowbray wrote:

2/20/09

Do any of your neighbors get CBS? It seems a little odd to have one pocket that has a clear view of the transmitter that cannot receive the signal.

Please let me know about the neighbors.

Thanks
post #373 of 409 Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's an email I sent last month. The subject was

"Where do you have to live to get KREX in HD?"

I get no signal at all at 1st and Orchard, and an unusable pixilated signal downtown that comes and goes. All other digital signals come in perfectly. NBC's signal went to 100% lately and is rock solid. I can watch CBS in SD on 4-2, but this is 2009! Why did you spend all that insurance money on a beautiful new building and an HD ready news set and forget that what's really most important to your viewers is that they be able to view your product. What you're selling is a broadcast signal, and to put it honestly, your signal stinks.

This is funny: "At News Channel 5, we realize the key to serving you better is listening to your feedback. We're listening! Please contact the appropriate department by mail, email, or the phone number listed below."

Really?

I have been complaining about audio distortion on 5.1 and 4.2 for months. I have left several messages with programming, on Phil Mobray's voicemail, with Keira and with whomever answers the phone. I have never had a call back and the problem persists. I think it's pathetic that a CBS affiliate can put out such a horrendously weak video signal AND distorted audio, and completely ignore your public. If you think we'll just go away you're right. I know that your frequency makes it harder to get a strong signal out there, but it's not like you didn't see it coming years ago. BTW, if anyone cares, the only time the distortion is NOT present is during live newscasts. The distortion comes through on your Bresnan feed as well.It is level dependent. My guess is that something in the audio chain is being overdriven.

When KREX first went HD I contacted your GM - i think her name was Carla - about garbled and unbalanced audio. She responded to me immediately, contacted Rich Adams in Texas and had the problem resolved in a week and followed up with me to make sure the problem was resolved. She was very professional. Maybe you should get her back.

I'm pretty much giving up on CBS. Please email me if you get your act together.

PS Here's link to a thread about GJ TV stations in the hugely popular AVS forum. It has pretty much turned into a KREX bashing thread. Enjoy! http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17235274

He called me back and told me nobody at the studio can hear the distortion (big surprise), and

"As I mentioned, there are pockets in the Valley where our signal originating on Hillcrest does not penetrate due to terrain or some other physical barrier - areas in Fruita, Palisade, and Orchard Mesa are among those. That is why some receive KREY (4.2) in standard definition. KREY is attached to the KFQX signal broadcasting from Blackridge and is intended for Montrose but some in the Grand Junction area pick it up better than 5.1."

He completely ignored the fact that I told him my one receive point has a rooftop directional antenna pointing right at the tower, which is about 1/4 mile away with no obstructions, and that my other receive point is in downtown Grand Junction on the second story of a commercial building.

There should be a law against pretending to be a TV station.
post #374 of 409 Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

KKCO still has no HD due to moving equipment to their new facility. I was told maybe later today.
post #375 of 409 Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Sent to the FCC first, then copies sent to CBS corporate.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm

Federal Communications Commission
Consumer & Governmental Affairs Bureau
Consumer Complaints
445 12th Street SW
Washington, D.C. 20554

October 25, 2009

This is a formal complaint concerning continuing reception problems with KREX-CBS in Grand Junction, Colorado.

I cannot receive any signal from KREX-CBS in Grand Junction, Colorado. I receive all other HD-digital local broadcasters at 90-100% signal strength with an indoor antenna. I had a local antenna installer come out and check the signal strength for the local broadcasters from my roof. KREX-CBS? 0-5% strength. All others? 95-100%.

For my location, using antennaweb.org:
KRMJ-DT 17.1 PBS GRAND JUNCTION, CO 253° 19.418 miles
KJCT-DT 8.1 ABC GRAND JUNCTION, CO 105° 8.07 miles
KKCO-DT 11.1 NBC GRAND JUNCTION, CO 253° 19.412 miles
KFQX-DT 5.1 FOX GRAND JUNCTION, CO 253° 19.515 miles
KREX-DT 2.1 CBS GRAND JUNCTION, CO 255° 9.72 miles

I have written multiple letters to KREX-CBS and their local engineer. The engineer supplied the normal reasons I would have difficulty receiving KREX. I have no obstructions and clear view of the transmission tower at my address.

My neighbors do not pick up KREX-CBS.
More local complaints?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=17370695

Sincerely,
post #376 of 409 Old 10-25-2009, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I read somewhere recently that the elimination of terrestrial HDTV is where the industry is headed longterm. Maybe KREX is just ahead of the curve on that. I can get an almost usable signal downtown (66 to 60 on a Dish 722) using an amplified antenna from Monoprice pointed right at the tower. Unplug the power or move the antenna 2 degrees and KREX goes away whilst everything else remains.
post #377 of 409 Old 10-29-2009, 04:59 PM

What gets me is living in Ridgway, I'm in Denver's DMA and unable to watch GJ local news and weather on Dish. I could care less about what's happening in Denver. Frustrating...
post #378 of 409 Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

There is something wrong with the sound on 5.1 during the Broncos game. The announcers sound hollow and out of phase. 4.2 sounds fine.
post #379 of 409 Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Frustration set in last week when I realized that the Superbowl was on CBS. Nothing has changed with the terrestrial signal on KREX -- zero signal from my roof. CBS would not grant me a waiver for a west coast feed on Direct TV. No Superbowl?? Multiple contacts with Direct TV would not get them to turn on CBS just for one day.

Even worse, further investigation revealed more ugly truths about "local programming". I started typing in zip codes for the surrounding area, and discovered that just 18 miles east of me, DeBeque, CO gets DENVER locals. WHAT? DeBeque is over 180 miles from Denver -- so a little town gets Denver locals and I am stuck in the GJ area with nothing? I am sure it is due to local contracts that Direct TV does not want to negotiate. Of course, all this just made me more angry.

The conclusion? I dumped Direct TV. I was a loyal customer since 1995... and there was nothing they could offer me that could make me stay. No Superbowl? Good Bye. Bresnan has all the HD channels I had on Direct, and the locals. It is also less expensive and while the DVR provided is a bit more primitive on the interface side, it will be fine. (nothing has ever matched Microsoft's interface for Ultimate TV box anyway!). Direct TV had a definite jump on the HD programming side, but that advantage has faded. Too bad. I would never have changed if I could have watched the Superbowl. I do NOT miss CBS--cept on Superbowl Sunday!

I blame local CBS and KREX for not providing a proper terrestrial signal as they are obligated to do. I blame the engineering staff at KREX for not addressing these issues. I blame Direct TV for not negotiating a local GJ contract to show the local stations. I blame Direct TV for not pushing on the networks for waivers when evidence exists that signals are not sufficient locally --CBS was the only one I did not have. I blame the FCC and their rule making requiring these silly regs about locals and allowing local stations to say whether you can get another feed or not. I blame Direct TV for making me hopping mad that po-dunk towns toward Denver get local Denver stations, when they are not local in any sense to Denver.

The end.
As a Colts fan, let me say, "Go Saints!"
post #380 of 409 Old 02-06-2010, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll get the Superbowl, complete with messed up DD 5.1, (three months it has been messed up but KREX really couldn't care less) lockups and pixelization from the weak signal, and macroblocking and motion artifacts from their limited bandwidth/multiple subchannels.
post #381 of 409 Old 02-06-2010, 01:17 PM

If it is an consolation, KREX *says* they are completely HD on their news broadcast --that I watched for the first time last night-- as if it was something that they thought of... Personally, comparing the Bresnan cable feed to the other HD locals I think that KREX is not broadcasting in 1080i or 720p "full on" HD or the cameras they use in their news room are not set up properly. I will have to continue comparing, but the other Bresnan HD locals look better than KREX. Why am I not surprised?

I suppose that Bresnan corrects the other problems you observe, but I will let you know over time!

KREX SUX. Nothing will ever change that sentiment.
post #382 of 409 Old 02-08-2010, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

KREX local news is in 1080i HD. It actually looks very good to me. I couldn't get KREX to come in without breakups so I watched the game at a friend's house who has cable.
post #383 of 409 Old 02-09-2010, 05:17 PM

KRMJ 18-1 is broadcasting in 1080i HD in primetime.

Subchannels 18-2 and 18-3 are SD and have been there a while.
18-5 is audio only and has also been available for months.

Between primetime programs there might be a few moments of local SD signal on 18-1, this is a glitch that causes my receiver to shut itself off. If 18-1 is in 1080i and my HD receiver is 'stuck' in SD, changing channels to another 1080i station and changing back to 18-1 fixes that problem. I think 18-1 is normally SD during the daytime, up until the Nightly Business Report.
post #384 of 409 Old 02-10-2010, 04:25 PM

dleithaus,
I personally would have "moved" to Debeque. Honestly, DirecTV doesn't care, but they have to honor the contracts. If you "move" and they find out, all they do is turn off the Denver channels because they have to once they know, but if they never find out... They and the GJ stations can't agree to a deal, so anyone outside of Mesa county is thus in the Denver DMA.
Regarding KREX, I am not putting up an antenna just to get it when I get everything else indoors. They're losing my favorite anchor anyway, so I'm not missing anything.
post #385 of 409 Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

KREX-HD is now up on 27-2. 27-1 is KGJT. The signal is very strong at my location, downtown Grand Junction. Now if they could only fix the audio...
post #386 of 409 Old 02-17-2010, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Would someone be willing to share with me what the local stations (minus KRMJ) are doing as far as subchannel lineups? I want to make sure my website's listings are accurate. Here's what I have:

4-1 720p Fox
4-2 480i CBS (KREY)
5-1 1080i CBS
5-2 480i My
5-3 480i CBS (KREG)
8-1 720p ABC
8-2 480i Telemundo
8-3 480i CW+
11-1 1080i NBC
11-2 480i Color bars
27-1 480i My
27-2 1080i CBS

Thanks for any corrections.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #387 of 409 Old 02-17-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Would someone be willing to share with me what the local stations (minus KRMJ) are doing as far as subchannel lineups? I want to make sure my website's listings are accurate. Here's what I have:

4-1 720p Fox
4-2 480i CBS (KREY)
5-1 1080i CBS
5-2 480i My
5-3 480i CBS (KREG)
8-1 720p ABC
8-2 480i Telemundo
8-3 480i CW+
11-1 1080i NBC
11-2 480i Color bars
27-1 480i My
27-2 1080i CBS

Thanks for any corrections.

- Trip

You have everything except:

18-1 720P (sometimes) PBS/KRMJ
18-2 480i V-Me (Spanish language programming
18-3 480i Create
18-5 Audio only
post #388 of 409 Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I said in my original message "minus KRMJ" simply because I assume it to be identical to KRMA in Denver except mapped to 18-1 instead or 6-1.

Anyway, thanks for confirming. 11-2 is still showing only color bars after all this time?

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #389 of 409 Old 02-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

KREX-HD is now up on 27-2. 27-1 is KGJT. The signal is very strong at my location, downtown Grand Junction. Now if they could only fix the audio...

Agree, signal much stronger. Looks good, to tell you the truth, especially in that the HD news looks better than channel 8.
Now if they'd just keep that anchor.....
post #390 of 409 Old 02-20-2010, 09:39 PM

I also re-scanned for OTA channels, and discovered 27-1 and 27-2 pop up. I get both with about 80% reception, much better than the 0% I get on 5-1! Maybe I can stop my boycott of KREX. Thanks for the info, I wouldn't have known to re-scan unless I saw it here!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page