Grand Junction, CO - HDTV - Page 14 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Grand Junction, CO - HDTV

Local HDTV Info and Reception

dleithaus's Avatar dleithaus
05:13 AM Liked: 10
post #391 of 410
02-21-2010 | Posts: 200
So KREX is up on 27 now. A week late for watching the Superbowl. Bresnan is just fine for HD and the locals. I really do not miss my old Direct TV. Sad though that I was forced to change from a system I was perfectly happy with except for the CBS problem.

On another front, I got a call from the FCC regarding my local reception. Told them it was all about KREX and CBS, no other station problems. Too bad they did not call before KREX got it together (at least from what others are saying here), now local management can say everything is fixed. Local management was the problem from the beginning -- unresponsive and dishonest about their original problems. I would have been perfectly happy if they had said "we have a bad-low power setup but are working on it". Instead they act like it is the consumer's problem. Clearly, with all the of the actions I took, costing me time and money, the problem was all theirs.

Glad to hear others have local reception, now you can watch the full spectrum of CBS silliness in the realm of Survivor and Amazing Race.
audiomagnate's Avatar audiomagnate
11:50 AM Liked: 10
post #392 of 410
02-22-2010 | Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleithaus View Post

So KREX is up on 27 now. A week late for watching the Superbowl. Bresnan is just fine for HD and the locals. I really do not miss my old Direct TV. Sad though that I was forced to change from a system I was perfectly happy with except for the CBS problem.

On another front, I got a call from the FCC regarding my local reception. Told them it was all about KREX and CBS, no other station problems. Too bad they did not call before KREX got it together (at least from what others are saying here), now local management can say everything is fixed. Local management was the problem from the beginning -- unresponsive and dishonest about their original problems. I would have been perfectly happy if they had said "we have a bad-low power setup but are working on it". Instead they act like it is the consumer's problem. Clearly, with all the of the actions I took, costing me time and money, the problem was all theirs.

Glad to hear others have local reception, now you can watch the full spectrum of CBS silliness in the realm of Survivor and Amazing Race.

But the sound is still messed up except during the local news broadcasts. I can even hear it on the TV speakers of my kitchen set. Come on guys, listen and complain! Sucked out midrange and a weird tubular "phazey" sound. Also the power of 27-2 seems to have dropped from last week.
06:42 AM Liked: 10
post #393 of 410
04-13-2010 | Posts: 2,194
The sound has been fixed at KREX. They're broadcasting excellent DD 5.1 now on 27.2. The music on Letterman sounded amazing last night. Now if they could only get rid of that annoying "5" bug...
David Rad's Avatar David Rad
12:49 AM Liked: 10
post #394 of 410
09-26-2010 | Posts: 32
Has anyone noticed that KREX HD is missing the center channel sound? It happens on both 5.1 and on 27.7, wheras KREX SD on 4.2 sounds fine.

If you don't have a surround sound system, you will still notice the missing center from the stereo downmix, namely 5.1 will be much quieter than 4.2.

This has been going on for months. (I'm talking about over-the-air reception, can't speak for cable or satellite.)
03:42 PM Liked: 10
post #395 of 410
09-26-2010 | Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rad View Post

Has anyone noticed that KREX HD is missing the center channel sound? It happens on both 5.1 and on 27.7, wheras KREX SD on 4.2 sounds fine.

If you don't have a surround sound system, you will still notice the missing center from the stereo downmix, namely 5.1 will be much quieter than 4.2.

This has been going on for months. (I'm talking about over-the-air reception, can't speak for cable or satellite.)

I have a 4.0 setup and there is no rear channel output either on the Broncos game. They're just sending out plain old stereo. KREX's engineering department is completely inept and management is beyond clueless. They have no idea how to operate their Dolby 5.1 equipment.
09:10 PM Liked: 10
post #396 of 410
10-07-2010 | Posts: 2,194
There's also no metadata coming down for 27.1 or 27.2. I think if more than one person was complaining about how lame KREX engineering dept is we might get something done.
darjeeling's Avatar darjeeling
05:43 PM Liked: 10
post #397 of 410
12-09-2010 | Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

There's also no metadata coming down for 27.1 or 27.2. I think if more than one person was complaining about how lame KREX engineering dept is we might get something done.

I've complained to them doesn't help. Although it is about KREG, and the signal degrading with the slightest bit of bad weather. They don't care. In bad weather their signal degrades more than some of the translators that are near the KREG tower location on Sunlight. What makes it more sad, the translator antennas are pointing away from me. Finally I decided to just complain to the FCC. "If they can't maintain a decent signal why do they even have a license?" is the question I posed to the FCC.
06:03 PM Liked: 10
post #398 of 410
12-09-2010 | Posts: 2,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by darjeeling View Post

I've complained to them doesn't help. Although it is about KREG, and the signal degrading with the slightest bit of bad weather. They don't care. In bad weather their signal degrades more than some of the translators that are near the KREG tower location on Sunlight. What makes it more sad, the translator antennas are pointing away from me. Finally I decided to just complain to the FCC. "If they can't maintain a decent signal why do they even have a license?" is the question I posed to the FCC.

I've been leaving messages for the engineer for years and never had a response. I know they own Dolby 5.1 gear, because they actually had it working properly for a month or two earlier this year. It's one of the smallest DMAs in the country, but that doesn't mean they have to treat their viewers so poorly. I'm going to try one more letter to the GM and then I'm filing a complaint with the FCC and CBS, whom I'm sure doesn't know that these people are doing such a poor job.
08:16 PM Liked: 10
post #399 of 410
12-20-2010 | Posts: 2,194
NO HDTV on KREX-HD (27.2) tonight. So we've gone from HD with DD 5.1 a few months ago to SD Stereo. What's next, black and white?
dleithaus's Avatar dleithaus
11:54 AM Liked: 10
post #400 of 410
01-01-2011 | Posts: 200
Glad I checked back. I was thinking about Direct TV again... still no locals in GJ area for them, but if KREX was working on OTA .... based on the most recent comments, KREX is still problem prone and deaf to complaints if you are OTA.

Guess I will just buy a Tivo for my Bresnan cable service and stick for another year. (The B supplied DVR is not a great one)....
darjeeling's Avatar darjeeling
03:08 PM Liked: 10
post #401 of 410
01-01-2011 | Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post

I've been leaving messages for the engineer for years and never had a response. I know they own Dolby 5.1 gear, because they actually had it working properly for a month or two earlier this year. It's one of the smallest DMAs in the country, but that doesn't mean they have to treat their viewers so poorly. I'm going to try one more letter to the GM and then I'm filing a complaint with the FCC and CBS, whom I'm sure doesn't know that these people are doing such a poor job.

Just an FYI, when filing a complaint with the FCC be very specific. In my first complaint, filed electronically, I just mentioned the Sunlight location and the translators doing a better job than KREG. After filing my complaint I got a form letter back after a few days talking about reception and personal equipment issues and resolving them and told to talk directly to the station for signal issues. It also informed me my case was closed. Well that annoyed me so I opened another case mentioned all of the specific translators that were doing a better job than KREG in actually providing a broadcast signal and how KREX/KREG were unresponsive. It's been about two weeks since the second complaint and no second form letter, so hopefully it was actually read by a human this time and the complaint taken more seriously.
04:53 PM Liked: 10
post #402 of 410
01-03-2011 | Posts: 2,194
Here it is, two weeks later and their HD server (fancy word for DVR) is still down. Beyond pathetic. Why no backup? Why no overnighted replacement? Why does CBS put up with this level of incompetence?
Kate2264's Avatar Kate2264
08:06 PM Liked: 10
post #403 of 410
01-05-2011 | Posts: 1
I just got duped by Direct TV here in Grand Junction... My folks live with us and are about to take off my head since there are no local channels! What is the easiest, cheapest way of getting them? Granted, our TVs are all older (newest one was purchased in 2003).
We live out north of the mall. Is there still no word on getting local on DirectTV? And is there no hope of waivers too?
Yikes, its going to be a bumpy 2 year ride!
Thanks.
08:31 PM Liked: 10
post #404 of 410
01-05-2011 | Posts: 2,194
You can get your locals for free with an antenna. Just connect it to the antenna connector on the back of your DirecTV receiver. Most homes can get all of the locals (many in HD) with an indoor antenna, but it's possible that you may need a rooftop or attic location.
06:24 PM Liked: 10
post #405 of 410
06-10-2011 | Posts: 2,194
KREX is experiencing technical difficulties yet again. The live newscasts sound horrible. It sounds like the microphones are clipping.This has been going on for weeks, and I have been complaining, but because it's KREX, they don't fix the problem or even respond to my emails.
WireJockey's Avatar WireJockey
09:34 AM Liked: 10
post #406 of 410
02-08-2012 | Posts: 264
Trying to decide which service to go with for TV/Inet service. TWC has a good pkg., but most people I know are using DirectTV.
Any and all advice welcome
sonywaist's Avatar sonywaist
10:35 AM Liked: 10
post #407 of 410
06-17-2012 | Posts: 107
Broadcast channel 11-2 is now Memorable Entertainment Television (MeTV) with classic TV re-runs.
11:21 PM Liked: 10
post #408 of 410
03-23-2013 | Posts: 107
Is everyone still alive and happy?

Maranatha Broadcasting Corporation (MBC Grand) is running a standard definition test pattern on channel 22-1.

MBC Grand owns 6 local radio stations.
04:08 PM Liked: 10
post #409 of 410
04-15-2014 | Posts: 2,194
There is a new OTA movie channel coming...KREX still has audio problems in their studio.
09:33 AM Liked: 10
post #410 of 410
Today | Posts: 107
Is everyone still alive and happy?

Broadcast channel 20.1 is KGBY-DT showing COZI TV network programming in 720p HD.

22.1 is MOVIES! TV network programming, wrong aspect ratio SD windowboxed on my TV.

25.0 analog broadcast is also MOVIES! network.

Telemundo 11.3 is now 720p HD.

Titan TV does not show these recent changes

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread