Grand Junction, CO - HDTV - Page 15 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 438 Old 09-09-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 189
What model TV???

BTW: "Overload" problems originate FIRST with excessive Gain in the Preamp....which results in "Spurious" signals all across the TV Bands thereby Desensitizing Weak Channel Reception by the TV Tuner. It ALSO causes problems by SECONDARY "Overloading" (i.e. Desensitizing Weak Channel Reception) within the TV Tuner.....

Which stations are you having problems receiving before & after removing 1byone's Preamp???

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-09-2016 at 02:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 438 Old 09-09-2016, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
What model TV???

BTW: "Overload" problems originate FIRST with excessive Gain in the Preamp....which results in "Spurious" signals all across the TV Bands thereby Desensitizing Weak Channel Reception by the TV Tuner. It ALSO causes problems by SECONDARY "Overloading" (i.e. Desensitizing Weak Channel Reception) within the TV Tuner.....

Which stations are you having problems receiving before & after removing 1byone's Preamp???
I don't have the 1byone. I just ordered it. I'm using the directv one linked earlier. I ordered the 1x1 thinking it might help the problem. I do, however, have an old radioshack 15-1634 omni antenna I never hooked up because I didn't know you could hook up an antenna without the amp. So I just went up and tried it. It's WAY worse than the antenna DTV gave me. I checked channel 8.1 and 11.1's signal and they went from being 40 down to 20. And errors galore. Couldn't watch 15 seconds of tv without it breaking up. So back to the roof I go to take it down.

The TV is a Sony bravia xbr810c in the 65 inch model.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
post #423 of 438 Old 09-09-2016, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott81425 View Post

Here is a pic of the splitter I have. I think it's the variety you're describing.

Why is anyone calling that a switch? It's just a plain old 4-way splitter with DC pass on port 1.

I looked at your TV Fool report. I'd try the omni antenna you've ordered without any preamp and see if it works. I'd replace the 4-way splitter with a CM-3414 distribution amp. The problem with omni antennas is that they have no rejection of reflections that you may have in your environment. If you can't receive all the stations that TV Fool lists as "LOS" then you likely have reflection (multipath) problems and will require a directional antenna. The antenna needs to be mounted outdoors. Indoors generates too many reflections to find one location where it will receive all your stations.

From their web site:

Quote:
360° Omni-directional Reception - Receives signals from all directions. No need for huge outdoor antenna with remote control to change the direction for better reception. The reception ability and materials are far beyond Yagi antennas.
That last part is just a marketing lie. There's no way it's better than a directional antenna and the 60 mile range is complete marketing hype. Antennas are not rated in miles. The specifications are so vague that I can't tell if it'll work on low VHF. Chances are that it is very poor on low VHF but KREX on low VHF is very strong so it may work in spite of itself.

post #424 of 438 Old 09-09-2016, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1877
thread edited.

ALWAYS follow the sticky note directions even if you THINK they don't apply.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #425 of 438 Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaveras View Post
Why is anyone calling that a switch? It's just a plain old 4-way splitter with DC pass on port 1.

I looked at your TV Fool report. I'd try the omni antenna you've ordered without any preamp and see if it works. I'd replace the 4-way splitter with a CM-3414 distribution amp. The problem with omni antennas is that they have no rejection of reflections that you may have in your environment. If you can't receive all the stations that TV Fool lists as "LOS" then you likely have reflection (multipath) problems and will require a directional antenna. The antenna needs to be mounted outdoors. Indoors generates too many reflections to find one location where it will receive all your stations.

From their web site:

That last part is just a marketing lie. There's no way it's better than a directional antenna and the 60 mile range is complete marketing hype. Antennas are not rated in miles. The specifications are so vague that I can't tell if it'll work on low VHF. Chances are that it is very poor on low VHF but KREX on low VHF is very strong so it may work in spite of itself.
If I went with that 3414, could I install it where that DTV splitter is, and put the power injector inside? All my wiring to all my tv's is right there.

post #426 of 438 Old 09-10-2016, 02:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, you COULD install the CM3414 in place of the "Green" 4-Way Splitter....OR buy the lower cost CM3410 and insert it on the Input of the "Green" Splitter. Both have Low Noise and high resistance to Overload...the Cable Loss between the Antenna and the DistroAmp can also help to prevent Overload:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B001FY0B90

Either DistroAmp can be powered via a Separate 12 VDC Input (labeled "PWR IN")....OR even better, via the Output Port labeled "PWR", using a Power Insertion Module and 115VAC-to-12 VDC Power Supply located next to one of your TVs. Since that particular Coax run is carrying DC Power as well as RF Signals, there MUST be DC Continuity all the way from the Power Supply to the DistroAmp, hence any RF Splitters on this particular run must have DC PASS on the port passing DC....this is very rare for typical CATV Splitters and is very common for SAT Splitters.

BTW: I still don't know what "DirecTV Supplied" Antenna you are ACTUALLY using....I didn't see a link to the Antenna.....

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-10-2016 at 12:36 PM.
post #427 of 438 Old 09-10-2016, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott81425 View Post
If I went with that 3414, could I install it where that DTV splitter is, and put the power injector inside? All my wiring to all my tv's is right there.

I don't know if it is rated for outdoor usage. The instructions don't say. If I was going to try it outside I'd wrap the connectors with electrical sealing tape to keep the water out and then wrap that with black tape for UV protection.

See this for details:

http://static.dxengineering.com/pdf/...ax-techtip.pdf
post #428 of 438 Old 09-10-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Channel Master website says that CM3410 is "Weather-Sealed":
http://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna..._p/cm-3410.htm

Be sure to "Weather-Seal" the connector boots by squirting them full of non-conductive Silicone Sealer [Avoid most RTV products, which are usually corrosive "Acid Cured"] The fol. is ONE example, there are probably others that are close to the same specs in a larger, less expensive package:
http://www.gcelectronics.com/order/D...20Adhesive.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/GC-Electronic.../dp/B004SPJN6K
https://www.altex.com/GC-Waldom-Elec...838C10576.aspx

Last edited by holl_ands; 09-10-2016 at 01:02 PM.
post #429 of 438 Old 09-10-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, you COULD install the CM3414 in place of the "Green" 4-Way Splitter....OR buy the lower cost CM3410 and insert it on the Input of the "Green" Splitter. Both have Low Noise and high resistance to Overload...the Cable Loss between the Antenna and the DistroAmp can also help to prevent Overload:
https://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste.../dp/B001FY0B90

Either DistroAmp can be powered via a Separate 12 VDC Input (labeled "PWR IN")....OR even better, via the Output Port labeled "PWR", using a Power Insertion Module and 115VAC-to-12 VDC Power Supply located next to one of your TVs. Since that particular Coax run is carrying DC Power as well as RF Signals, there MUST be DC Continuity all the way from the Power Supply to the DistroAmp, hence any RF Splitters on this particular run must have DC PASS on the port passing DC....this is very rare for typical CATV Splitters and is very common for SAT Splitters.

BTW: I still don't know what "DirecTV Supplied" Antenna you are ACTUALLY using....I didn't see a link to the Antenna.....
Sorry, I didn't notice you had edited the post with the diy instructions, and such. I think when I first looked at it, you advised getting this antenna and performing surgery to remove the reflector. Or possibly I imagined that. Anyway this looks identical to the antenna I have now, the one DTV provided for me.

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-E.../dp/B000GIT002

post #430 of 438 Old 09-13-2016, 04:02 PM

Holy cow, you guys were not kidding when you said to not use the pre amp with this thing. Got the 1x1 antenna today, put it on the pole, and hooked it into the TV. Only got a signal strength of about 45, but no errors. I got a similar signal strength with the old antenna, but always had lots of errors. Now I have none. I though 45 signal, I can do better so I hooked up the power adapter. NOPE. Got like 10 signal, tons of errors. So I unhooked that. Everything seems all hunky dory now though.

post #431 of 438 Old 09-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Channel scan results without amplifier- 27 digital 2 analog stations. With amplifier- 2 digital 0 analog.

post #432 of 438 Old 09-13-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What model TV???

I do still get occasional breakups and pixelating/audio drops on some stations. I'll take notes tomorrow and see where the actual issue is. Does the signal meter on my tv mean anything? My signals don't seem to go over 50, but my signal to noise ratios are very high. Is that good? Should I ditch this antenna and go with a different one?

post #433 of 438 Old 09-14-2016, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

No comment until you update Results so we know WHICH stations you still have problems....
post #434 of 438 Old 09-14-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
No comment until you update Results so we know WHICH stations you still have problems....
Sound on RMPBS, channel 18-1, is hit or miss. But I'm not sure that's related to my setup. I also get pixelating and audio dropping on 11-1, KKCO. I always get an audio drop after my tv tunes the station. Picture comes on, audio comes on, audio drops out. Audio returns. Tv is watchable. I experience occasional audio drop outs, but it is certainly not unwatchable. I didn't really check any of the channels I am not really interested in. I'll post my tv's signal diagnostic results as well, if that helps. In the format: channel, signal strength, errors, signal to noise ratio.

4.1 52 0 271
8.1 51 0 294
8.2 51 0 294
11.1 42 14 281
18.1 44 0 281
27.2 39 0 271

According to the TV, 27.2 (local cbs) is my lowest signal. I did not notice any issues but full disclosure, Ellen was on. I didn't watch that long. Will probably know more on football Sunday.

post #435 of 438 Old 09-16-2016, 02:17 PM

Didn't realize the Thursday night game was on CBS. Watched it all last night without issue. Still getting pixelating and audio drop outs on 11 though, but at this point I don't know what else to try.

post #436 of 438 Old 10-22-2016, 06:23 PM

Ok should've updated this sooner, but forgot. Thanks to a little help from antennas direct, I got my setup working. Went with a clearstream 2v assembled without the reflector. Hooked into a 4 port distribution amplifier, and it's been working quite well. Get way more channels than I did before. And up until a few days ago, no issues. But now I'm having a slight issue with channel 22, a marquee movies affiliate. I like to watch it at bedtime. It worked fine until a couple days ago. Now it drops audio. It ALWAYS does it right after tuning to that channel. ALWAYS. I was watching it's signal on my tv's signal strength. It's usually around 60. Drops to 0. Then back to normal. Does it on all my tv's too. Any idea what's going on there? It's only that channel so I don't suspect the splitter.

post #437 of 438 Old 02-08-2017, 07:42 PM

Hey, it's me again. After all being well for a while, I'm having issues with channel 5 again. And occasionally 11. Still have the 2V. It's running into just a cheap 2 way splitter now, an antronix I believe. 2v without reflector, to splitter, to 2 TVs. Lose channel 5 every day. Usually when it goes it goes on both TVs. That transmitter is only 5 miles away, but it's also low powered. I even talked to the engineer and all he said was everyone had issues. Any input from my friends here?

post #438 of 438 Old Today, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also don't get channel 5 even with a Channel Master 4228 8-bay antenna in the attic pointed west, either with the reflector screen attached, or removed to make it bi-directional.

Is channel 22's aspect ratio wrong on your TV's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception