Gilead, Maine reception help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-08-2016, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Gilead, Maine reception help

I live in the western mountains of maine and have multiple mts to the south and less so to the east as well as trees (no leaves right now!!!) in front of my house in that direction (general direction of where stations are transmitted from)

so this is a link to my location and possible channel reception from tvfool....well it wont let me put a url in here so these are my coordinates lat 44.42 long -70.91

here is what I have tried and the results:
I made a 4 bay bow tie antenna with coathangers and copper along with a reflector behind it from wire fencing
I mounted it on my deck on a ~20 ' mast and have about 70 ft of coax cable (leftover from Direct TV install) running directly to TV with no connectors or splitters and I can get ABC 8 most of the time NBC 6 some times and CBS 13 very rarely and never get PBS 10 or FOX 23.

Yesterday I bought a Winegard LNA-200 Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier
and this somewhat improved reception so that ABC, NBC and PBS would come in...but good weather today so not sure how reliable signals will be and PBS had pixilation some

I could move the antenna to the peak of the house which would be another 20' higher

I was considering adding another 4 bay bowtie to see if that would help as you can see from my station analysis there are 2 directions to point to.--figuring I could rig it up so that one points more south and the other more south-east
am also considering buying one of these but really don’t want to spend the money if it wont help:
Xtreme Signal HDB8X-NI 8-Bay VHF/UHF HDTV Bowtie Antenna

or this for even more money:
8 Element Bowtie Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna - 70 Mile Range from antenna direct on amazon

any thoughts appreciated...would really like to be able to get FOX 23 and CBS 13 out of Portland on a consistent basis (football fan) just don’t know if it is worth :

a. just try moving the 4 bay to the peak of the house adding ~20 ft in height
b. making/adding another 4 bay to create an 8 bay and build it so I can have one pointed south one more easterly? and mounting this up higher
c. biting the bullet and buying one of those 8 bay deals (I am a true blood yankee and we are known for our frugal nature !!!)
thanks for any input
Mainer55
(it says I can not post links so not sure how I am going to put my TVFool report link in here...tried posting a screen shot as well)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1366146  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-09-2016, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You need to post several times before posting links are allowed.

The TVFool Report you posted and one I made with your coordinates are vastly different. I recommend you create a new one using the following directions: http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=14508

Make sure to post the URL from the radar plot, taken from either the address bar or as listed near the top of the plot. It provides clickable links for each station that provides additional useful information.

You might also consider posting your request on the forum at TVFool.com. That forum is dedicated to helping people with OTA reception.
post #3 of 4 Old 04-10-2016, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
txs for your reply...cant PM you as have not had enough posts nor insert links
For some reason moderators have yet to approve my account on tvfool (2 weeks) so cant post there.
It was suggested I post in the HDTV Technical forum which i did....you can follow thread here:
by googling this:
25-hdtv-technical/2394914-gilead-maine-antenna-reception-help

yeah I had the wrong coordinates..... corrected in one of my last posts in above thread
if you have any other input let me know !! txs
post #4 of 4 Old 04-10-2016, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This is the link to the other thread: Gilead Maine antenna/reception help

Your TV Fool report at 10 feet should be: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...51348126cf97b9

Your TV Fool report at 20 feet should be: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...513487fb360766

Your TV Fool report at 30 feet should be: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...513476a598755f

The results are similar until you approach 150 feet and then gets better, but the results are never good. So more height does not get you much.

Here's a breakdown of your channels:

Call Sign-Real-Net-NM(db) - Magn
W04BS-D 4 PBS 28.2 98 degrees
WMTW-DT 8 ABC 9.9 184
WCBB-DT 10 PBS 8.0 127
WPFO-DT 23 Fox -3.2 127
W03AM-D 3 PBS -8.0 166
WCSH-DT 44 NBC -9.7 180
WBME-DT 38 CBS -11.9 163

You might try something like the Antennas Direct DB8e: https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...V-Antenna.html (it's probably the best gain UHF antenna available) - but there are no guarantees and it's about $150 (not cheap). If you go this route see if you can buy the Antenna from Walmart or Amazon or somewhere were you can return it easily if it doesn't help. I'd probably aim it at 153 degrees to see if it can pick up the UHF stations from 127 to 180 degrees.

You'd also need a VHF antenna aimed in the same direction for ABC & PBS. Something like this: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476 ($35)

Or maybe you can just build one to see if it will work.

Amplifiers are useful only when you have enough signal to work with.

I read the other thread. The advice given is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page