Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #451 of 1263 Old 01-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer75 View Post

The interesting thing is the antenna is a UHF only antenna, yet it picks up CBS 12 great and a decent job on NBC 6.

Those channels are UHF. KSBY DT is on 15 and KCOY-DT is on 19. The digital TV signal carries a "false" channel number.

It is possible that KSBY and KCOY will switch back to their old analog VHF channels after the digital transition (Feb 2009).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1263 Old 01-23-2007, 04:39 PM

He's actually talking about the analog stations I bet -- That's my experience. I get analog 6 and 12 just fine with my UHF only setup. These UHF antennas get some reception in the VHF range, especially the high range.

matt
post #453 of 1263 Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormzer View Post

He's actually talking about the analog stations I bet -- That's my experience. I get analog 6 and 12 just fine with my UHF only setup. These UHF antennas get some reception in the VHF range, especially the high range.

You're right, I was referring to the analog stations. That's why I said NBC 6 instead of NBC 6.1. A minor difference that's easy to overlook, sorry if my first statement was ambiguous.
post #454 of 1263 Old 01-24-2007, 10:03 AM

I have a new setup now and am getting some pretty good results with KEYT-DT. I have set up two downleads from my two antennas to my equipment. I have separate analog and digital coax in (I'm using an HTPC to record/watch tv). So, the 91XG which I have pointed at Santa Barbara is connected through my CM7777 preamp to my digital antenna input. Then I have a separate coax connecting my 75R to my analog input. The 75R is pointed at the towers on cuesta ridge.

With this setup I'm getting 80% signal from KEYT-DT, 100% KCOY-DT and 100% KSBY-DT. All from the 91xg. This leaves only PBS 16 to come in from the 75R/analog setup. I'm pretty happy with this setup.

matt
post #455 of 1263 Old 01-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Does anybody know if Comcast broadcasts QAM local channels in-the-clear? I can pick up some things like Discovery HD, UHD, TNTHD, ESPN HD, but I haven't been able to find any of the locals. (In Lompoc/Vandenberg Village here).
post #456 of 1263 Old 01-31-2007, 01:07 AM

I am so sick of charter for many reasons and I am thinking of switching to DishNetwork. What I am curious about is what kind of local HD channels Dish has. It is obvious that they don't have KEYT in HD, but do they have the rest? Also, if they don't have locals in HD, do you at least get a non-local HD feed for those channels?
post #457 of 1263 Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 AM

Oh..one more thing....if Dish doesn't have HD local channels does Directv? If not...does anyone know when either of those two companies are going to get them? thanks.
post #458 of 1263 Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

No HD Locals or Distants for us from D* or E*. Best hope is D* in the near future. (They said locals by year end 2006 previously, buy obviously missed.)

We are stuck with Charter.
post #459 of 1263 Old 01-31-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

Does anybody know if Comcast broadcasts QAM local channels in-the-clear? I can pick up some things like Discovery HD, UHD, TNTHD, ESPN HD, but I haven't been able to find any of the locals. (In Lompoc/Vandenberg Village here).

Well I've mapped out most of the digital channels I've been able to receive:

83-49 NBA TV
89-8 HBO Signature
92-5 ?
94-13 ?
100-6 Fox HD (KKFX-DT)
102-1 InHD
102-2 ESPN2HD
105-1 ESPN HD
105-2 Music HD
108-1 Discovery Theater HD
109-1 TNT HD
109-2 Golf Channel HD
116-5 Universal HD

Since I can get KKFX-DT, I would think I'd be able to get at the very least KCOY-HD also. Anybody have any ideas? The superbowl is coming up and it looks like this will be the only way to get it in HD.
post #460 of 1263 Old 02-07-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix96 View Post

Well I've mapped out most of the digital channels I've been able to receive:

83-49 NBA TV
89-8 HBO Signature
92-5 ?
94-13 ?
100-6 Fox HD (KKFX-DT)
102-1 InHD
102-2 ESPN2HD
105-1 ESPN HD
105-2 Music HD
108-1 Discovery Theater HD
109-1 TNT HD
109-2 Golf Channel HD
116-5 Universal HD

Since I can get KKFX-DT, I would think I'd be able to get at the very least KCOY-HD also. Anybody have any ideas? The superbowl is coming up and it looks like this will be the only way to get it in HD.

No super bowl in HD. Thanks a lot KCOY!
post #461 of 1263 Old 02-10-2007, 08:00 PM

Any word out there as to the possibility of someday getting KEYT-HD from Charter?
post #462 of 1263 Old 02-11-2007, 04:34 PM

We are new to HDTV. We bought a 46" Samsung LCD for the family room in late December and a 32" Vizio for the bedroom 2 weeks ago.

Early in January we dropped std Comcast for DirectTV. I asked them to install the $50 antenna for local HD OTA then, but they didn't, saying it didn't work with the HR-20 receiver. I asked them again and they said it would only pick up KCOY, nothing else.

I enjoy some of the new HD channels, but I mostly watch programs on the major networks, so having an HDTV has been pretty disappointing.

What kind of antennas are you guys using to pick up KCOY, KEYT, and KSBY (and PBS?) in HD? Where do you buy them? Where do you mount them and how are they connected to the TVs?
post #463 of 1263 Old 02-11-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanjowood View Post

We are new to HDTV. We bought a 46" Samsung LCD for the family room in late December and a 32" Vizio for the bedroom 2 weeks ago.

Early in January we dropped std Comcast for DirectTV. I asked them to install the $50 antenna for local HD OTA then, but they didn't, saying it didn't work with the HR-20 receiver. I asked them again and they said it would only pick up KCOY, nothing else.

I enjoy some of the new HD channels, but I mostly watch programs on the major networks, so having an HDTV has been pretty disappointing.

What kind of antennas are you guys using to pick up KCOY, KEYT, and KSBY (and PBS?) in HD? Where do you buy them? Where do you mount them and how are they connected to the TVs?

Go to http://www.antennaweb.org, where you can enter your address and the site will tell you what type of antenna you'll need to receive the channels you want. Then you can get an antenna from any good electronics store (Best Buy and Circuit City carry them locally). There are a variety of types - indoor, outdoor, etc. Obviously an outdoor roof-mounted antenna should give you the best reception.

To receive HD signals from an OTA antenna, you'll need an ATSC tuner. The HR20 does include an ATSC tuner, so it should work. Check out this forum for a lot of information on the HR20:
http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112

The other option is to connect the antenna directly to your TV. If your Samsung LCD is the LN-S4692D, the LN-S4695D, or the LN-S4696, it has a built in ATSC tuner. Your Vizio might also; the L32HDTV does. The disadvantage of connecting directly to the TV is that you'll have to switch input modes on the TV to go between satellite and off-the-air programming, instead of having the OTA programming integrated in the satellite receiver's channel guide.
post #464 of 1263 Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 PM

Hello.. Well, KEYT is finally broadcasting HD over the air. I noticed it yesterday. Looks pretty good and it seems that they have cranked up the power a bit as I have not noticed any drop outs or pixelation, which I had while they were testing. Of course much of their programing is still analog, as is their in house stuff such as news, etc.
You may soon see it available via COX and Comcast, I'll belt. It has been a long wait.
JIM
post #465 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 10:06 AM

Well if this is true then yes it has been a long wait for some HD content on KEYT. Does anybody know when Charter might pick up this feed here in SLO? Do you think I can get it OTA with an indoor HD antenna? I've been waiting a long time to get LOST and Grey's Anatomy in HD. I live in an apartment complex so a roof mounted antenna isn't a possibility What did you mean when you said most of their programing is analog...does that include the prime time shows? Also, can anybody in SLO actually pick up KEYT OTA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwitt View Post

Hello.. Well, KEYT is finally broadcasting HD over the air. I noticed it yesterday. Looks pretty good and it seems that they have cranked up the power a bit as I have not noticed any drop outs or pixelation, which I had while they were testing. Of course much of their programing is still analog, as is their in house stuff such as news, etc.
You may soon see it available via COX and Comcast, I'll belt. It has been a long wait.
JIM

post #466 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
It's good that everyone should soon be getting KEYT in HD, although as a Cox customer in Goleta, I think I'd rather stick with the current arrangement (getting KABC-HD instead). Their news in HD is pretty cool, and far more watchable than anything more local. Also, showing syndicated shows in HD (like Jeopardy and Wheel) needs HD recording and playback capabilities that KEYT probably doesn't have.
post #467 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:

JIM

Well, that's better than nothing. At the moment the only local I'm able to get in HD is KKFX - hopefully KEYT will be available on Comcast QAM soon.
post #468 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emund View Post

Well if this is true then yes it has been a long wait for some HD content on KEYT. Does anybody know when Charter might pick up this feed here in SLO? Do you think I can get it OTA with an indoor HD antenna? I've been waiting a long time to get LOST and Grey's Anatomy in HD. I live in an apartment complex so a roof mounted antenna isn't a possibility What did you mean when you said most of their programing is analog...does that include the prime time shows? Also, can anybody in SLO actually pick up KEYT OTA?

To clarify, in the past, KEYT's digital transmission was their regular analog 4:3 signal visually stretched to a wide screen format. It was low res, but a little better than what I was getting via D*.
Very recently, they have been transmitting an unstretched HD version from the ABC network. It has the "ABC HD" icon in the bottom right coroner. In the past they did not have this feed. It is not stretched to fit as before. It looks pretty good, but not as good as say, NBC's Jay Leno via D*.
That all said, if it is a HD program it looks good, if it is not HD but sourced via the digital NBC feed, it looks much better than KEYT's old analog signal. If it is sourced locally, say via KEYT's own cameras, it looks as poor as before. I assume that that will change very soon as they buy some cameras, etc.
They are still testing or adjusting through the day as sometimes the stretch mode comes back for a few minutes. They are also adjusting the audio volume, which has gotten better also.
SLO??? I don't think so, unless you live on top of Cuesta or somewhere that gives you line of sight with Santa Ynez Peak. Even then, you would need a high gain antenna outdoors.
Hang in there, the reason KEYT hasn't been available on cable is that it didn't have the HD feed to pass on. It does now, so it should be on cable soon and on D* as soon as D* gets its act together... If that is even possible.
Hope this helps, JIM
post #469 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Thanks for clarifying. So the stretch you are seeing at times during testing is the HD Stretched out to full screen correct? Also, this may sound stupid, but what does d* stand for? dish?

Quote:

To clarify, in the past, KEYT's digital transmission was their regular analog 4:3 signal visually stretched to a wide screen format. It was low res, but a little better than what I was getting via D*.
Very recently, they have been transmitting an unstretched HD version from the ABC network. It has the "ABC HD" icon in the bottom right coroner. In the past they did not have this feed. It is not stretched to fit as before. It looks pretty good, but not as good as say, NBC's Jay Leno via D*.
That all said, if it is a HD program it looks good, if it is not HD but sourced via the digital NBC feed, it looks much better than KEYT's old analog signal. If it is sourced locally, say via KEYT's own cameras, it looks as poor as before. I assume that that will change very soon as they buy some cameras, etc.
They are still testing or adjusting through the day as sometimes the stretch mode comes back for a few minutes. They are also adjusting the audio volume, which has gotten better also.
SLO??? I don't think so, unless you live on top of Cuesta or somewhere that gives you line of sight with Santa Ynez Peak. Even then, you would need a high gain antenna outdoors.
Hang in there, the reason KEYT hasn't been available on cable is that it didn't have the HD feed to pass on. It does now, so it should be on cable soon and on D* as soon as D* gets its act together... If that is even possible.
Hope this helps, JIM

post #470 of 1263 Old 02-14-2007, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emund View Post

Thanks for clarifying. So the stretch you are seeing at times during testing is the HD Stretched out to full screen correct? Also, this may sound stupid, but what does d* stand for? dish?

Nope, the stretch I refered to is analog 4:3 square tv screen stretched out to wide screen which makes everything look very wide. The HD is perfect, full wide screen. D* is Directv for me.
I just watched "LOST" in HD. They have it together, it looked great.
JIM
post #471 of 1263 Old 02-15-2007, 07:58 PM

That is great news, I can't wait until Charter gets the feed. I wonder if I should call them and let them know about this. Can't wait for HD ABC shows as I they have some of the better programming on TV, and it really bites watching the analog feed on my new Samsung LCD.
post #472 of 1263 Old 02-16-2007, 11:15 PM

KEYT still has occasional glitches, but I think it is something on their side, not lack of signal strength. There are far more near commercial breaks, so I think they are having some issues still switching between HD network programming and commercials and the local non-HD commercials. They are broadcasting in 1280x720x60p, so it will never be quite as sharp as NBC which uses 1920x1080x60i (though in some ways the lower res is preferable since it isn't interlaced).
post #473 of 1263 Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_HTPC View Post

KEYT still has occasional glitches, but I think it is something on their side, not lack of signal strength. There are far more near commercial breaks, so I think they are having some issues still switching between HD network programming and commercials and the local non-HD commercials. They are broadcasting in 1280x720x60p, so it will never be quite as sharp as NBC which uses 1920x1080x60i (though in some ways the lower res is preferable since it isn't interlaced).

I don't care what it is as long as it is better than the junk that is coming through on Channel 3 on charter right now. I checked the KEYT website for contact information to ask about the lead time for feeds to cable companies, but only came up with a phone number, no email info. Does anyone have any contact info for any of the techs there at KEYT?
post #474 of 1263 Old 02-19-2007, 04:58 PM

I've tried calling them several times...gotten thru to the receptionist...then transfered to somebodies voicemail. It's been a different voicemail each time and I have never received a call back. It sure seems like they don't give a damn.

Marshall Kruse
post #475 of 1263 Old 02-19-2007, 06:19 PM

That is good news about KEYT-HD. After all these years, it seems they are finally getting their act together. Looking forward to receiving their HD feed via Comcast. Although they probably have the weakest lineup, ABC does have a few good shows which should look great in HD. Currently receiving Ch 3 via cable and NOTHING could be worse! Keep the faith guys! We should have a contest -- who will get it first, *d or Comcast? I'll put my $$ on Comcast.

Bis spaeter,

"Here I am...
The only HD boy in Lompoc"
post #476 of 1263 Old 02-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkruse View Post

I've tried calling them several times...gotten thru to the receptionist...then transfered to somebodies voicemail. It's been a different voicemail each time and I have never received a call back. It sure seems like they don't give a damn.

Well I'm sure someone will post once they find out something. I'm sending an email through to Charter to see if I get a response (I never have). I'm sure Comcast and Charter would go online simultaneously.

Also, aren't the Academy Awards on ABC this Sunday? What better of a way could you debut HD than to do it in time for the awards right?
post #477 of 1263 Old 02-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Anyone with a QAM tuner in Santa Barbara (Cox) try searching for channels? I seem to only find two:

83-1 : KSBY-HD
84-4 : FOX-HD

If you have a QAM tuner in this area, please list your results. Thanks!
post #478 of 1263 Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM

Living in SLO by the airport I installed MANT950 from Circuit City 5' above my roof and had nothing but problems locking in a signal pointed at Santa Maria Tower (KCOT 12-1) 35 miles away. KSBY 6-1 at 7 miles away was always strong at 90%. The MANT950 is not a Mid. or Long range antenna. After a lot of time up and down a ladder adjusting the MANT950 and reading the AVS Forums I finally realized I had made a mistake.
I then found solidsignalcom. At this site, up in the upper right corner is a red button Called (Antenna Help). After clicking on it and filling in all the info there Tech Support recommended a CM7777 preamp and a DB-4 antenna. Last Weekend I installed both and I'm getting, 92% KCOY-DT and 90% KSBY-DT, both rock solid.
You may ask why a person goes through all of this. The answer is I left Charter, DirecTV has no HD Locals in the SLO area and Santa Barbara blocks all alternate feed from L.A. This may change in 2008 but as for right now I'm locked in for two years. I will say that OTA has not been as free as I would like but NBC and CBS HD is way COOL and my HD10-250 loves it.

Zap of SLO
post #479 of 1263 Old 02-26-2007, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Are the (4) network HDTV "Locals" ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX (some actually retransmitted from L.A. by contractural agreement) that Cox Cable Santa Barbara makes available in HDTV with their addressable Set-Top-Boxes, also available/viewable with an Unencrypted "In the Clear" QAM Tuner such as those built into many HDTV's W/O a CableCard?

Murray Kerdman
post #480 of 1263 Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 PM

I upgraded my software and now I get:

50: MSNBC
83-1: KSBY-HD (NBC)
83-2: KCOY-HD (CBS)
84-4: FOX-HD

Still no ABC or PBS..