Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 1262 Old 05-25-2005, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsbgaucho View Post

City... I'm in Goleta now, planning to move hopefully downtown or the Mesa, but still within the city of SB.

No problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 11:22 AM

I have come across a problem. I'm not sure about the cause, but I think it's the cable box's fault.

I have a SA 8300 HDDVR. Last night, I tried to use only a brand-new HDMI cable to connect the 8300 to my HDTV. When I turned the 8300 on, the default station of 715 (discoveryHD) was fine. I was able to change channels in the HD stations fine. My problem arose when I went to a non-HD channel. The 8300 didn't output a signal. Then, when I went back to the 700's (HD channels), the box still didn't output a signal. The only way to get a picture was to plug in component cables again.

Any thoughts, or other comments? I can provide more details if needed.
Thanks!
post #93 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 01:17 PM

I think you might have to set it up so HDMI can pass 480 signals. This is just a guess though.

I use component with my 8300.

I also have another problem with the 8300, that is getting worse as time goes on. Sometimes when changing channels from a nonHD channel to an HD channel, the signal does not get converted to 1080i. It stays at 480p and the picture is always jarbaled and stays that way. If I turn off the TV and box for like 5 seconds the 1080i signal goes through and I see marvelous HD. If I turn off and on right away or even 3 or 4 seconds it stays as jarbaled 480p. It is quite frustrating. This used to never happen when I first got it. Now it is happening all the time.

I almost always use upconvert1.
post #94 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post

I think you might have to set it up so HDMI can pass 480 signals. This is just a guess though.

I use component with my 8300.

How do I set up HDMI to pass 480 signals? I have the cable box in pass-through mode so it should already be doing that.
post #95 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiucsb View Post

How do I set up HDMI to pass 480 signals? I have the cable box in pass-through mode so it should already be doing that.

I remember when I first got my 8300 a few months back I had to tell the 8300 what signals my TV could accept. I was on the phone with a tech when I did this. Give them a call. I think you have to hold the setup button on the 8300 to start this.
post #96 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 05:18 PM

I setup my TV recently and what you do is power down the 8300HD, hold down the Guide and Info buttons and power the 8300HD back up. Select HD setup when the setup screen comes up and select the Advanced setup. Follow directions to tell your 8300HD if the picture you are seeing on the TV is good or bad. At the end, the 8300HD will be setup to output the appropriate 480i, 480p, 480i widescreen, 480p widescreen, 720p and 1080i signals.

What TV do you have?
post #97 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracula View Post

What TV do you have?

Thanks for the help. I haven't tried the initial setup yet. Assumed things would work fine. I have a Samsung HLR-5067W. It has an HDMI input (no DVI) and 2 component. I would like the component for DVD and xbox.
post #98 of 1262 Old 05-26-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help. I haven't tried the initial setup yet. Assumed things would work fine. I have a Samsung HLR-5067W. It has an HDMI input (no DVI) and 2 component. I would like the component for DVD and xbox.

I also have a Samsung, TX-R3079WH the SlimFit for my bedroom cabinet. I have a lot of trouble with the HDMI interface.

See my postings in the threads below:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=534963

and

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=540909

I would be interested in how your Samsung works with the 8300HD and its HDMI interface.

Thanks
post #99 of 1262 Old 05-27-2005, 04:59 PM

Don't feel alone- I'm also arm wrestling with the SA8300 via HDMI to a Samsung HLP5063W. The Samsung definitely doesn't like the transition fron SD to HD occasionally. I even have got the "Samsung green screen of death" a few times, requiring a hard TV reboot. Sucks. I'm watching mostly via component now.

Definitely play with the 8300 setup wizard. I think you really want to only enable a single prefered SD and HD output format. I'm not near the TV right now, but I was able to eventually smooth out the shannel switching and have the TV auto jump to 16:9.

Its about time for someone to ask KEYT about the HD status again. Three more weeks and their "in the Spring" forecast is history.... grrr.
post #100 of 1262 Old 05-27-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holazola View Post

Don't feel alone- I'm also arm wrestling with the SA8300 via HDMI to a Samsung HLP5063W. The Samsung definitely doesn't like the transition fron SD to HD occasionally. I even have got the "Samsung green screen of death" a few times, requiring a hard TV reboot. Sucks. I'm watching mostly via component now.

Definitely play with the 8300 setup wizard. I think you really want to only enable a single prefered SD and HD output format. I'm not near the TV right now, but I was able to eventually smooth out the shannel switching and have the TV auto jump to 16:9.

Its about time for someone to ask KEYT about the HD status again. Three more weeks and their "in the Spring" forecast is history.... grrr.

My problem is not the picture itself but the lack of a picture. You seem to be implying that the 8300HD is to blame. I had a Sony 27HS420 TV and the HDMI connection worked flawlessly with the 8300HD. I traded the Sony in for the Samsung SlimFit because I could get 16:9 aspect ratio and 30" in my bedroom cabinet.

The problem is that the Samsung TV does not communicate properly the HDCP protocol when it is turned off and on and the 8300HD stops sending video to the HDMI interface. The Sony unit never had that problem.
post #101 of 1262 Old 06-01-2005, 11:01 AM

Holazola,
I too saw the "Samsung green screen of death". I didn't know that was a common phenomenon. Can you or anyone write more about that? It's pretty frustrating to have an HDMI to HDMI connection and have major errors. I want to have pass-thru, because I believe (no proof) that the TV will do a better job of image processing that the 8300. Also, pass-thru changes the channels quicker!
post #102 of 1262 Old 06-02-2005, 01:44 PM

Hi fellow Santa Barbara residents,

I have a few questions about Cox cable service...

I just got a Samsung HLR5067 and am getting Cox cable via cablecard. I'm supposing most of my problems are with the cablecard, but I have two major gripes about my service.

First of all, my TV seems to randomly lose all of its TV signals (standard, premium, HD, etc). Turning off the TV doesn't help, and resetting the cablecard doesn't work. The only thing that seems to work is to just wait it out, and the channels will eventually come back. This sucks, because I can be watching something, and all of a sudden my TV will go blank and I get that dreaded "weak or no signal" message popup.

Next, if I ever try to 'reorganize' my channels (under the cablecard setup screen) I'll have to retry *many* times until the cablecard decideds to play nice and lets the TV list all of the channels. Otherwise I'll have some pseudo-random selection of channels (1-70, 200-300, etc), as if the cablecard cannot receive groups of signals. Note this isn't a problem unless I'm resetting the cablecard or taking it out, etc because the TV remembers the channels once they are found.

My other probelm is the TV Guide feature that comes with the TV. It doesn't work! I've waited the prescribed amount of time 4x, tried different zipcodes, and I still don't see any channels listed... I don't know what the deal is with that, even Samsung doesn't know why it doesn't work. Of course, Cox has no idea what I'm talking about.

Maybe I'm just going to have to suck it up and get a STB, along with another remote to worry about! Ugh.

Does anybody have similar issues with Cox as I do? Any advice? Thanks!
post #103 of 1262 Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 PM

DeeW,
Welcome to the crazy world of HDTV and Cox. I don't have a cable card (I have an 8300), so I can't comment about those problems.

I haven't tried the TV Guide feature at all because I didn't see a need for it. The STB has its own guide. Why did you want it?

Have you ever just let the 5067 search for signals via coax? Mine found channels like 107-31 and 107-33 etc. Does anyone have a comment on that?
post #104 of 1262 Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM

easy fix... go with Directv hehe You'd think Cox in Santa Barbara wouldn't be so primitive, seeing as though Cox San Diego is about as far ahead of everyone in the Country else when it comes to new advancements. Guess Cox doesn't like to share

post #105 of 1262 Old 06-02-2005, 03:52 PM

by the way, this is a TOTAL off-topic question that has NOTHING to do with TVs or hdtv or anything electronic... any of you guys know of any big, old abandoned buildings around SB? I'm talking just the walls, windows broken or not there at all, rusted, etc... I'm a photographer and trying to find an abandoned building somewhere around here to do some photography in.

If you have any suggestions, email them to me at chris@chrisaustin.us thanks!

post #106 of 1262 Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM

Yes - the corner of Anacapa and Ortega. A couple of them are abandoned next to a new development on Anacapa.
post #107 of 1262 Old 06-18-2005, 11:30 PM

I am moving to SB this month. Any recs on HD? What is better COX or DirecTV? Can you get DirecTV HD feeds from LA? Thanks in advance.
J
post #108 of 1262 Old 06-20-2005, 07:52 PM

DTV is way better than Cox. At this time there are no ABC or COX HD channels. I don't see any in the very near future either.
post #109 of 1262 Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 AM

j_aragon and dracula,

If you read through this thread Cox does have HD and the channels listed have not changed since last time I posted.

From D*, I believe you will not be able to get out of the area network HD channels either. You would need waivers from our locals.
post #110 of 1262 Old 06-21-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post

j_aragon and dracula,

If you read through this thread Cox does have HD and the channels listed have not changed since last time I posted.

From D*, I believe you will not be able to get out of the area network HD channels either. You would need waivers from our locals.

Sounds like waivers are very hard to come by. Is the COX digital signal decent? Is the reception for D* solid in the foothills of SB?
J
post #111 of 1262 Old 06-21-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_aragon View Post

Sounds like waivers are very hard to come by. Is the COX digital signal decent? Is the reception for D* solid in the foothills of SB?
J

Yes the Cox signal is good. I don't live in the foothills so I don't know.
post #112 of 1262 Old 06-30-2005, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Holazola,
I too saw the "Samsung green screen of death". I didn't know that was a common phenomenon. Can you or anyone write more about that? It's pretty frustrating to have an HDMI to HDMI connection and have major errors. I want to have pass-thru, because I believe (no proof) that the TV will do a better job of image processing that the 8300. Also, pass-thru changes the channels quicker!

I have just reviewed this thread and have found that other people with Samsung HDTVs also have problems with the SA8300HD. I have returned my SlimFit Samsung because it is unacceptable to have the best interface (HDMI) not work properly.

As I said in one of my earlier posts, the SA8300HD worked beautifully with a Sony 27" HDTV (27HS420) which I have returned when I found out about the SlimFit.

I am now waiting for LG to come out with their 30" slim unit (LG30FS1D) in August.
post #113 of 1262 Old 07-11-2005, 10:09 AM

i have all the distant networks through Directv from both LA and NYC.... CBS, ABC, Fox and NBC. Its great having two choices of when to watch things, or to be able to tivo prime-time shows at 5pm-8pm instead of 8pm-11pm

I had to request waivers but since the reception OTA in SB is so bad, it was pretty easy to get them. Through Cox I believe you can only get NBC and CBS in HD right now.

post #114 of 1262 Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM

how did you request the waivers?
post #115 of 1262 Old 07-15-2005, 12:55 PM

Does anybody have an idea when Cox will decide to put KKFX and TNT-HD on for Santa Barbara? Could bandwidth be holding them back?

I know that KKFX is broadcasting in HD, which, incidentally leads me to ask, what kind of antenna would you need to pick that up from SB?

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #116 of 1262 Old 07-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

KCOY-DT is also broadcasting in Santa Maria. Don't know whats holding Cox back, but Charter here in SLO county is almost as bad. Im waiting for TNT-HD too.

To check on antennas try

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Address.aspx
post #117 of 1262 Old 07-15-2005, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmedina View Post

Does anybody have an idea when Cox will decide to put KKFX and TNT-HD on for Santa Barbara? Could bandwidth be holding them back?

I know that KKFX is broadcasting in HD, which, incidentally leads me to ask, what kind of antenna would you need to pick that up from SB?

KKFX is NOT in HD over the air. KCOY is multi-casting the Fox signal on their Digital signal (shows up as 12-2 on my receiver). It may be confusing since many guides assume if a signal is digital, they will do HD, but kkxf does not broadcast over the air in HD. Now, they may be able to supply a HD signal to a cable company, I dunno
post #118 of 1262 Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

That is very interesting! I assumed they were both broadcasting on different frequencies.

OK. No assumtions just facts:

Charter cable in SLO county (or at least Cayucos) has two network HD channels:

782 = KCOY
781 = KKFX

Both present network HD content in full HD. All local content and network SD is upconverted and pillarboxed.
post #119 of 1262 Old 07-26-2005, 03:52 PM

Update:

Last night on the SA 8300 HD box, I saw KKFX on the program guide listed as Ch. 711. It had no programming, but the slot was there. Could an HD KKFX be in the works for us Cox subscribers???

Dave
-ey ho, let's go
post #120 of 1262 Old 07-26-2005, 03:55 PM

I saw on my 8300 channel guide that there was a channel #711 listed!?! There were no programs in the timetable. when I typed 711 into the remote, it tuned to the channel but acted like it was a PPV channel. Anyone else see this? Can we hope FOX HD is very soon to be here?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page