Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 41 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1201 of 1272 Old 08-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The ClearStream people say this:
Quote:
Can I install an antenna in my Attic?

A: Yes you can, but keep this in mind. One layer of asphalt shingles + roof felt + ¾" plywood roof deck = 50% reduction in signal strength. Plus if you have metal or aluminum backed insulation in the walls or under the roof the signal will be most likely blocked. You'll have to remove the insulation or install the antenna in a different place. Although the antenna is inside, you'll still need to make sure that the narrow end points toward the transmitter of the TV station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1272 Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM

Yep. As I stated before, I'm in a condo, so that's my best option other than my patio which has a lot less elevation plus buildings in the way. They aim through the flat side which is just wood siding, no insulation or roofing, no metal sheathing.

-David
post #1203 of 1272 Old 10-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Cox, Goleta

Is anybody else concerned that there is still no deal for TWC Sportsnet (the new Lakers' channel) with Cox? Preseason game one is tonight, and I'll be pretty ticked if Cox doesn't pony up the money to carry the Laker games, but I continue to subsidize channels in languages I neither understand nor speak. I wish Congress would get its act together and mandate a la carte pricing for cable and satellite providers. Yes, there will be a lot of channels that suddenly are losing money and have to fold, but I highly doubt the channels most people watch would be affected and my cable bill would go down. Also, has anybody else noticed how poorly KEYT HD handles the handoff between local and network programming in HD? There's a crackle and the image gets grainy (SD upscaling most likely) whenever the local weather is cut in with GMA, then another crackle when GMA/network programming resumes. It's very distracting and loud.
post #1204 of 1272 Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Charter (San Luis Obispo county)

TimeWarner Sports HD and TimeWarner Deportes HD are now available on channel 787 and 788.
post #1205 of 1272 Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I noticed Silicon Dust's website no longer shows channel lineups for Santa Barbara zipcodes:

http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:93101#lineup_4029407

Because my Cox Starter subscription doesn't allow me to have a free cable box, I can't access mapped channel numbers. So I used Silicon Dust's website to determine what the physical channels are.

Does anyone know if there are alternative websites where I can get physical channel numbers?

p.s. I just noticed KKFX on 50-5 is no longer 720p and is now 480i. 104-11 is also KKFX and is still 480i. Strange!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1206 of 1272 Old 11-26-2012, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrogin View Post

I noticed Silicon Dust's website no longer shows channel lineups for Santa Barbara zipcodes:
http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/lineup_web/US:93101#lineup_4029407
Because my Cox Starter subscription doesn't allow me to have a free cable box, I can't access mapped channel numbers. So I used Silicon Dust's website to determine what the physical channels are.
Does anyone know if there are alternative websites where I can get physical channel numbers?
p.s. I just noticed KKFX on 50-5 is no longer 720p and is now 480i. 104-11 is also KKFX and is still 480i. Strange!

the silicondust lineup server is being worked on major upgrades so it has been off and on for the last few weeks.
post #1207 of 1272 Old 11-27-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the heads up kevin120.

p.s. I noticed KKFX (FOX) on 50-5 for Cox Cable Santa Barbara is back to normal at 720p again.

post #1208 of 1272 Old 11-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Anyone with Cox Essential know if you ESPN comes in HD? I currently only get cable internet from cox, but have the cable hooked up to the TV and am getting ABC, NBC, and CBS in HD, but now that FOX moved to 50-5 is "Not Available" ... I was pretty sad when they did that. I am debating signing up for Starter, but If Essential has ESPN in HD that might sway me. I still doubt I will do either now that football is drawing to a close (I do need to calculate my total bar tab from going out to watch the Niners games at Hollister Brew Co. or various other places through out the course of the year to see if I actually spent more money there then on cable).

Thanks
post #1209 of 1272 Old 11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the current lineup for Cox TV Santa Barbara:

http://ww2.cox.com/wcm/en/residential/datasheet/santabarbara/channellineup_sb.pdf

Its says the Essential TV package has both ESPN and ESPN2 in HD.

post #1210 of 1272 Old 11-28-2012, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Cox TV Santa Barbara ....

Would anyone be able to tell me what the *physical* channels are for the following?

TBS HD
CNN HD
Lifetime HD
MSNBC HD
Spike HD
Weather Channel HD
TruTV HD

The above appear to be newly upgraded to HD for Cox Starter Package subscribers.

post #1211 of 1272 Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Anyone have this setup yet?
Quote:
X1 Moves West to Silicon Valley

Dec 7, 2012
By Marcien Jenckes, Senior Vice President & General Manager of Video Services, Comcast Cable in TV

One way we’re redefining how people can experience entertainment is with our X1 Platform. It’s unlike any other video service that exists today — it makes the TV viewing experience smarter, richer and more personalized. Every member of the family can enjoy its sleek and intuitive user interface, easy-to-navigate guide, apps and On Demand recommendations. It even turns an iPhone into a gesture-driven remote control. If you don’t have X1 in your home, we’ve created a video so you can see how X1 transforms the experience on the living room big-screen TV.

Throughout 2012, we’ve been rolling out X1 to more markets. After we first trialed X1 in Augusta, GA, we introduced it earlier this year in Boston, our first major market launch. Since then we’ve added Atlanta and Chattanooga, TN. And now, we’re pleased to begin offering X1 west of the Mississippi, starting in many of our California markets. The San Francisco Bay area, Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and Santa Barbara are our latest markets where X1 is now available.

There’s no question people are changing how they watch and interact with TV. We want more entertainment and information, personalized for us, that’s readily accessible at our fingertips. With this in mind, we look forward to further expanding the rollout of X1 to more families in more areas during the months ahead.

Tags : X1, X1 Platform, XFINITY TV

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/x1-moves-west-to-silicon-valley
post #1212 of 1272 Old 12-10-2012, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Comcast in Santa Barbara? Since Cox has the local monopoly for CATV, I'm assuming X1 is an internet-based service using a Comcast set-top box ... sort of like using Cox internet as the delivery infrastructure and having a WDTV or Roku box to access programming provided by Netflix. Only in this case X1 customers in Santa Barbara would use a Comcast box.

Is this very far off the mark? Or is X1 really a CATV service?

post #1213 of 1272 Old 12-10-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Comcast used to be in Santa Maria, but now that I think about it they sold it off a year or so ago if I'm not mistaken, so disregard, doesn't apply. smile.gif

It is a technology that will very likely be used by most all major cable companies in the near future though.
post #1214 of 1272 Old 12-10-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

But it's interesting how the Comcast press release mentions Santa Barbara (probably means the county). That's why I was guessing X1 is an internet-based service. I did a little Googling and some refer to X1 as IPTV, another indicator it's internet-based. If that's really true, then my question would be whether X1 is available only to Comcast customers or also to others with different Internet Service Providers.

post #1215 of 1272 Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM

KEYT (ABC) is now broadcasting in SLO! This has been a long time coming. The KEYT signal coming from the broadcast tower down in Santa Barbara is just too weak for SLO pickup. I am aware of one extreme case where an antenna in SLO could pick it up. KEYT knew this and so they applied for an FCC license to have a low power digital repeater on top of Cuesta Ridge. That was years ago, yet the signal never came. We'll last night I rescanned for digital channels and it's up!

If you live in SLO and get your TV via antenna, have your TV rescan for digital channels. It's located on virtual channels 3.1 and 3.2 (physical channel 31).
post #1216 of 1272 Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks! Good news indeed. Will have to rescan in the morning to see how it looks.
post #1217 of 1272 Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 AM

Did two scans on my Dish box and antenna, nothing showed up for KEYT. Live in a weird kind of antenna shadow anyway, so wasn't expecting any miracles. We get KSBY and KCOY easily enough.
post #1218 of 1272 Old 01-16-2013, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of KEYT, now that the station has been sold by Smith Broadcasting to News Press & Gazette Co (no relation to the horrible Santa Barbara News Press) it looks like KEYT will finally be using HD cameras in their news broadcasts:

http://www.noozhawk.com/article/santa_barbara_keyt_news_owners_plan_expansion_rebranding/

post #1219 of 1272 Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM

Anyone had both Charter and Direct TV over the past few years? How did the picture quality compare? My Charter commitment is ending soon and I'm thinking of alternatives.

I'm in SLO and I get all the OTA stations in excellent quality, including KCOY. Also, thanks Freezer75 for posting that the K57BC repeater (KEYT) in SLO is online!
post #1220 of 1272 Old 02-13-2013, 03:50 PM

I'm curious as to what gear you are using to be able to pickup the ABC station in SLO. I'm in SLO near Laguna Lake using a DIY 4 bay bowtie in an east facing window. I can easily pick up NBC, CW, CBS and FOX and even on one occasion I was able to get 4 KCET stations but I can't seem to get them back after moving the antenna around. I've never seen the ABC station even when pointing the antenna directly at the Cuesta Grade.
post #1221 of 1272 Old 02-28-2013, 05:27 PM

Sorry about the late reply, I haven't checked this thread in a while. Im in central SLO and have a cheapie $19.95 antenna from Monoprice -- the little rectangular boxy one that is screwed into the wall and pointed out a window.

I have it facing southeast so I can get KCOY and KKFX. The antenna is definitely directional but the KEYT repeater comes in very well while facing the back of the antenna. Im using the antenna with a small preamp. I can't remember if the preamp came with the antenna or with the Hauppauge tuner I use on my computer. It seems to really help reception of KCOY and KKFX. I think the KSBY signal overloads the preamp since whenever I switch to KSBY, reception stutters for several minutes and then settles down.

I'm using Charter on the TV now but leave OTA connected to my computer. I just checked KEYT and its still coming in great. I should also note that I have three antennas from when all TVs were OTA and even rabbit ears worked better in a different room. Each of the antennas seem to be very sensitive to their specific location. Happy signal hunting and good luck!
post #1222 of 1272 Old 03-05-2013, 11:11 AM

Thank you for your reply. It looks like I'm in the shadow of Madonna but the good news is that I've been able to get the KEYT repeater in my bedroom directly above the living room, though not very reliably. Yet.

I also found a sweet spot in my living room where I can catch the KCET signals a bit more reliably with only a RCA loop and ears. I think that with some new DIY antennas I may have a shot at the available channels without an amp. Multipath and 113 degree difference in transmitter angles are pretty tricky obstacles for my location so I guess I'm in for some trial and error.
post #1223 of 1272 Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM

KCAL 9 with QAM tuner on Charter.
Its been frustrating as a Dodger fan DirecTV customer as we are in the Dodger TV market (MLB TV blackout zone) but cannot get KCAL through DirecTV. As a Charter internet customer, I hooked the internet cable to my QAM tuner and was pleased to find KCAL on Channel 76.2.
Although not HD, it appears to be a better picture than the analog channel 9 offered by Charter, and is better than nothing.
post #1224 of 1272 Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 AM

We should be in the Oakland/ SF market since we are closer. Love to watch Nor-cal games instead. Never understood blackout/market areas.
post #1225 of 1272 Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM

Baja, the MLB blackout rules are simply absurd. Various LAA, LAD, SFG, and A's games are blacked out (inconsistently it seems). Why in hell anyone assumes that we can just drive four or five hours to a ballpark on a given day just makes NO sense.

I'm about ready to cut the cord entirely and go back to listening on an AM radio, like my grandpa used to.

And get off my lawn.
baja7475 likes this.
post #1226 of 1272 Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM

karrank%, lol

I kind of cheat the system. My Dad lives up north in a dead radio area, so he's pays the 20 bucks for mlb radio. So I just login under his name so I can at least listen to A's on the internet and once in a while catch a free mlbtv internet game.
karrank% likes this.
post #1227 of 1272 Old 06-28-2013, 06:13 PM

Disney Jr HD now active on channel 727 on charter.
post #1228 of 1272 Old 08-27-2013, 09:22 AM

ESPN Goal-line/Buzzer Beater HD is now on channel 833 on Charter in San Luis Obispo County.
post #1229 of 1272 Old 10-26-2013, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just read my Charter bill and KSBY's CW sub-channel will be added in HD on channel 780 on December 17th! Other additions include CLOO and Fusion, and removals are G4 and SOAPnet.
baja7475 likes this.
post #1230 of 1272 Old 10-26-2013, 09:04 PM

Just FYI - KSBY's CW subchannel has been in HD over the air for months now.
baja7475 likes this.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page