Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1261 of 1277 Old 07-03-2014, 09:04 AM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Is anyone else getting pixellation on KSBY lately? The news was blocky and Hannibal last night was almost unwatchable. It's not happening on other channels...wondering if anyone else is seeing anything?
I'm in Arroyo Grande and am seeing pixelation on KSBY and CW as well. I just hooked my OTA antenna back up to my HDHomerun Dual, which is used by Windows Media Center to feed an XBMC frontend. The pixelation looks similar to the screen shots a few posts above. The signal strength is pretty much 100% at all times for KSBY. I also get KEYT from the SLO/Cuesta Ridge repeater (31) and KCOY/KKFX from SM as well. Those channels look perfect even though their signal strength is weaker. I'd say the pixelation occurs once or twice a minute, just enough to be annoying. I have my antenna in the attic, which isn't ideal, but didn't want to mount it outside unless I was pretty confident that I needed to. Anyone else still seeing occasional pixelation on KSBY?
giant25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1262 of 1277 Old 07-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
I'm in Arroyo Grande and am seeing pixelation on KSBY and CW as well. I just hooked my OTA antenna back up to my HDHomerun Dual, which is used by Windows Media Center to feed an XBMC frontend. The pixelation looks similar to the screen shots a few posts above. The signal strength is pretty much 100% at all times for KSBY. I also get KEYT from the SLO/Cuesta Ridge repeater (31) and KCOY/KKFX from SM as well. Those channels look perfect even though their signal strength is weaker. I'd say the pixelation occurs once or twice a minute, just enough to be annoying. I have my antenna in the attic, which isn't ideal, but didn't want to mount it outside unless I was pretty confident that I needed to. Anyone else still seeing occasional pixelation on KSBY?
I'm still getting pixelation on ksby, not as bad as last month. I have charter.
baja7475 is offline  
post #1263 of 1277 Old 07-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
san luis obispo county (charter)

Digital transition happened last night on schedule. The only errors i saw was on series recordings on broadcast channels. Easy fix, change the channel option to hd only on the series manager.
baja7475 is offline  
post #1264 of 1277 Old 07-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Did the digital transition complete in AG/Grover Beach today as scheduled? I only have Charter Internet, so I can't tell for sure. I've been getting slow internet speeds during peak hours (2 to 3 Mbps down at 8-11pm) and Charter said this should be resolved when the digital transition completes. I've been patient (slow speeds in pm since May).......
giant25 is offline  
post #1265 of 1277 Old 07-30-2014, 08:02 AM
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
Did the digital transition complete in AG/Grover Beach today as scheduled? I only have Charter Internet, so I can't tell for sure. I've been getting slow internet speeds during peak hours (2 to 3 Mbps down at 8-11pm) and Charter said this should be resolved when the digital transition completes. I've been patient (slow speeds in pm since May).......

I heard it takes a while. Faster speeds by Sept or Oct. I know they are testing it, because i have gotten 60 a couple of times in the last week or so.
baja7475 is offline  
post #1266 of 1277 Old 07-31-2014, 07:36 AM
Member
 
karrank%'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We have noticed slower speeds in the early evening/after dinner hours. I live in Grover, and the transition happened right on schedule, 29th I think it was.

We'd stopped bothering with subscription TV until that happened.

We had to rescan, and lost everything except strictly OTA stuff. Back to screwing with antennas again, going to experiment with our little monoprice, (an exterior placement). Any current advice on that subject would be appreciated.
karrank% is offline  
post #1267 of 1277 Old 07-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
We have noticed slower speeds in the early evening/after dinner hours. I live in Grover, and the transition happened right on schedule, 29th I think it was.

We'd stopped bothering with subscription TV until that happened.

We had to rescan, and lost everything except strictly OTA stuff. Back to screwing with antennas again, going to experiment with our little monoprice, (an exterior placement). Any current advice on that subject would be appreciated.
I'm on Charter node GB209 if you wanted to compare. I'm very disappointed that I'm still getting 3 Mbps download speeds at night even after the transition. I know baja mentioned it might take a while, but that wasn't what I was told by Charter. They've been stringing me along for a few months now avoiding slow speeds in our area with no compensation yet for these issues.

So are you looking to go strictly OTA? That's where I'm headed. You should consider a directional external antenna pointed at Cuesta ridge where KSBY and KEYT (repeater) are located, and you'll likely get KCOY/KKFX from Santa Maria as well. I think KCET is available as well, but haven't yet looked into it. You can check out antennaweb.org or tvfool.com for more info.
giant25 is offline  
post #1268 of 1277 Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Member
 
karrank%'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
I'm on Charter node GB209 if you wanted to compare. I'm very disappointed that I'm still getting 3 Mbps download speeds at night even after the transition. I know baja mentioned it might take a while, but that wasn't what I was told by Charter. They've been stringing me along for a few months now avoiding slow speeds in our area with no compensation yet for these issues.

So are you looking to go strictly OTA? That's where I'm headed. You should consider a directional external antenna pointed at Cuesta ridge where KSBY and KEYT (repeater) are located, and you'll likely get KCOY/KKFX from Santa Maria as well. I think KCET is available as well, but haven't yet looked into it. You can check out antennaweb.org or tvfool.com for more info.
Yeah, I'm considering the antenna thingy, just not very enthusiastically. Seems like a lot of work for maybe four channels. Three of them come in well enough with the indoor. No KEYT, and KSBY spotty enough to bother the wife. Me, all those stations could disappear tomorrow & I wouldn't notice, much less care.

I mean, can you imagine waiting for some clown to shout at you what the weather's going to be before the day starts and after it's done? Senseless.

Regarding the speeds, I haven't measured anything recently, just seemed to slow down a bit around dinnertime (Streaming MLB on our Roku can get a little funky), nothing disastrous.
karrank% is offline  
post #1269 of 1277 Old 07-31-2014, 09:59 AM
Senior Member
 
rc05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hey! Dave Hovde is the best!
rc05 is offline  
post #1270 of 1277 Old 07-31-2014, 10:25 AM
Member
 
karrank%'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 View Post
Hey! Dave Hovde is the best!
More of a grouse about others waiting for info to be received via squawkbox instead of just retrieving it at their convenience.

But if the shoe fits...

And interesting that you figured I was talking about Hovde!

Last edited by karrank%; 07-31-2014 at 10:30 AM.
karrank% is offline  
post #1271 of 1277 Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Senior Member
 
baja7475's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atascadero
Posts: 401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Charter (San Luis Obispo county)

The SEC and the SEC alternate channel just showed up on my guide. Channels 867 and 868.
baja7475 is offline  
post #1272 of 1277 Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
Yeah, I'm considering the antenna thingy, just not very enthusiastically. Seems like a lot of work for maybe four channels. Three of them come in well enough with the indoor. No KEYT, and KSBY spotty enough to bother the wife. Me, all those stations could disappear tomorrow & I wouldn't notice, much less care.

I mean, can you imagine waiting for some clown to shout at you what the weather's going to be before the day starts and after it's done? Senseless.

Regarding the speeds, I haven't measured anything recently, just seemed to slow down a bit around dinnertime (Streaming MLB on our Roku can get a little funky), nothing disastrous.


I was finally able to speak to a local tech in the Arroyo Grande/Grover Beach area and they mentioned that they recently migrated to 16-channel bonding to alleviate congestion on the node here. I have seen a huge difference, with download speeds now staying at 30 Mbps all evening. No 60 Meg Spectrum sightings yet, but no worries here.


With regards to the pixilation on KSBY: I am only seeing the dropouts/pixilation on my HDHomerun box. It does appear something within the signal is causing it, as I just received a newer version of the HDHomerun box from the vendor and I see the same signal quality drops. However, with this new model, the error handling is much better and the pixilation is less noticeable. I also hooked this antenna straight into my Samsung TV tuner and do not see any dropouts, suggesting that the error correction is superior on the TV. Anyone else have an HDHomerun or other TV tuner that can check out KSBY?
giant25 is offline  
post #1273 of 1277 Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Senior Member
 
rc05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Posts: 365
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Ok, I just got settled back in SLO and I'm loving the new channels! I'll check one more time tonight, but it looks like the pixelation on KSBY was resolved over the summer! Unfortunately, I just noticed that KEYT, KSBY, KCOY, and KKFX are all marked as copy-once (meaning I can't mark commercials or move the files to different computers). I don't think it's on the station ends, since it's all of them. I'm trying to reach out to Charter, but I'm not expecting much from them.
rc05 is offline  
post #1274 of 1277 Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have a CableCARD with Charter? I currently only have Charter internet and was considering getting an HDHomerun Prime with a CableCARD for just the local channels if it's cheap enough (using XBMC/Kodi). I'm wondering how much it costs for just the locals or if that is even possible (I don't want the $26/mo basic package, was hoping under $10/mo or so). Anyone?
giant25 is offline  
post #1275 of 1277 Old 09-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Member
 
karrank%'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
Does anyone have a CableCARD with Charter? I currently only have Charter internet and was considering getting an HDHomerun Prime with a CableCARD for just the local channels if it's cheap enough (using XBMC/Kodi). I'm wondering how much it costs for just the locals or if that is even possible (I don't want the $26/mo basic package, was hoping under $10/mo or so). Anyone?
There's a $26 basic package? I've just been looking and can't find that anywhere!

-and sorry, no cable card.Just the internet service right now. Thinking of adding TV service to catch the playoffs, but looks like they want to charge extra monthly fee for a set top box.

Grrr.
karrank% is offline  
post #1276 of 1277 Old 09-30-2014, 08:39 AM
Member
 
Terry78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: California
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Try free OTA for your needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
Does anyone have a CableCARD with Charter? I currently only have Charter internet and was considering getting an HDHomerun Prime with a CableCARD for just the local channels if it's cheap enough (using XBMC/Kodi). I'm wondering how much it costs for just the locals or if that is even possible (I don't want the $26/mo basic package, was hoping under $10/mo or so). Anyone?
Charter doesn't have anything close to that price, I think the best you could do is about $59 for the basic package.

Depending on your location, you should try free over-the-air TV. All the major networks and PBS (KCET) are available in SLO and reception is excellent (depending on your specific location). Using a Terk indoor antenna in a kitchen cabinet, we get ABC, RetroTV, NBC, CW, CBS, Fox, 4 KCET channels, and 8 to 10 Spanish channels.
A couple years ago, we used to have a simple old rabbit-ears antenna in another room and received all the majors with it. Maybe you could borrow one, or a different antenna, from someone to test reception at your location. Until then, check out tvfool.com for a map of your stations. It's good, but I just noticed that they don't have a couple of our stations listed.

Good luck! Be aware that some indoor antennas are very sensitive to positioning -- so even a slight direction rotation may result in a distant station coming in or not.
Terry78 is offline  
post #1277 of 1277 Old 09-30-2014, 09:16 PM
Member
 
giant25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry78 View Post
Charter doesn't have anything close to that price, I think the best you could do is about $59 for the basic package.

Depending on your location, you should try free over-the-air TV. All the major networks and PBS (KCET) are available in SLO and reception is excellent (depending on your specific location). Using a Terk indoor antenna in a kitchen cabinet, we get ABC, RetroTV, NBC, CW, CBS, Fox, 4 KCET channels, and 8 to 10 Spanish channels.
A couple years ago, we used to have a simple old rabbit-ears antenna in another room and received all the majors with it. Maybe you could borrow one, or a different antenna, from someone to test reception at your location. Until then, check out tvfool.com for a map of your stations. It's good, but I just noticed that they don't have a couple of our stations listed.

Good luck! Be aware that some indoor antennas are very sensitive to positioning -- so even a slight direction rotation may result in a distant station coming in or not.


Thanks for the reply. I have an outdoor antenna (omni) in my attic that I was thinking of moving outdoors to improve my signal. I've been using OTA feeding an HDHomerun Dual that plays nicely with XBMC and the server.wmc/pvr.wmc plugins. The signal here in Arroyo Grande can be tricky, so I thought I'd ask about cheap cable and get an HDHomerun Prime with CableCARD, but looks like there's no cheap monthly plan. With the antenna I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, and CW, but I notice pixilation sometimes. I might even get a directional antenna since a neighbor is doing that with success right now, where he also gets PBS in addition to the networks above.


I have Dish Network but am looking to cut the cord with XBMC on a Raspberry Pi. The video quality on the Pi is perfect, I just wish the Pi had a bit more horsepower. I tried XBMC on the Amazon Fire TV and it is blazing fast. It doesn't deinterlace mpeg-2 properly, though, which makes sports look terrible and is a deal breaker for now. Maybe the upcoming Android TV will finally be the answer, as the Pi is decent but limited.
giant25 is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off