Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2015, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
I figured you were talking about the Roamio OTA $300 lifetime, saw that last week. I dumped Dish earlier this year, haven't looked back. For anyone else reading, the Roamio OTA appears to be the same as the entry level Roamio DVR but without cable support. I thought about getting one of those and adding a Mini for a second room. The Kodi (formerly XBMC) solution is nice/flexible/free, but you kinda have stay on top of it sometimes to keep it all fluid (I have a Win 7 PC with WMC doing the recordings and then a Chromebox and Raspberry Pi for my frontends, along with Harmony Remotes). There are alot of moving parts, might be nice to try Roamio someday...
OK-- found an old rabbit ears antenna and a spare 15' cable. Mounted to an outside eave, and bring in KSBY, CW, KCOY, and KKFX rock solid, no issues. Still no KEYT,

Two things--

Tivo MLB app causes copyright error message upon switch to live TV. Power cycle is only "fix" atm.

Also,my model seems to have a CableCard port, but Tivo says it's not supported--however, over at TivoCommunity, there are rumors of a simple hardware hack/workaround, something I'm not interested in doing for multiple reasons.

ok, three things--Plex is supposed to be arriving in June. I don't have a huge media library, but it's something I could see value in.

TLDR--we're in. with all our other home entertainment options, paying for Dish is just cray-cray. One might well call our purchase of a Roamio OTA nuts as well, considering only four solid channels, but I think it'll pay for itself before the end of the year, ETA: most important feature?--ease of use. Gui and intuitive menus make it easy to like

Last edited by karrank%; 05-25-2015 at 09:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
OK-- found an old rabbit ears antenna and a spare 15' cable. Mounted to an outside eave, and bring in KSBY, CW, KCOY, and KKFX rock solid, no issues. Still no KEYT,

Two things--

Tivo MLB app causes copyright error message upon switch to live TV. Power cycle is only "fix" atm.

Also,my model seems to have a CableCard port, but Tivo says it's not supported--however, over at TivoCommunity, there are rumors of a simple hardware hack/workaround, something I'm not interested in doing for multiple reasons.

ok, three things--Plex is supposed to be arriving in June. I don't have a huge media library, but it's something I could see value in.

TLDR--we're in. with all our other home entertainment options, paying for Dish is just cray-cray. One might well call our purchase of a Roamio OTA nuts as well, considering only four solid channels, but I think it'll pay for itself before the end of the year, ETA: most important feature?--ease of use. Gui and intuitive menus make it easy to like
Are you looking for KEYT on channel 31 (the repeater in SLO on Cuesta Ridge)? I'm in Arroyo Grande and I can KEYT from there with an outdoor antenna mounted in my attic. I also get KSBY from that location, and KCOY/KKFX from Santa Maria (I think you can get KCOY/KKFX from Cuesta Ridge now too, but I haven't rescanned for it. I'm using an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4 pointed at Santa Maria KCOY. It's strong enough to pick up all of the SLO stations (KEYT, KSBY, and PBS) all on the backside of the antenna. Funny enough, when I point the antenna at SLO, I get all of the SLO channels very easily, but KCOY/KKFX gets weak, hence why I point at Santa Maria. I might not need to do this anymore with the KCOY/KKFX repeater now in SLO, we'll see.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant25 View Post
Are you looking for KEYT on channel 31 (the repeater in SLO on Cuesta Ridge)? I'm in Arroyo Grande and I can KEYT from there with an outdoor antenna mounted in my attic. I also get KSBY from that location, and KCOY/KKFX from Santa Maria (I think you can get KCOY/KKFX from Cuesta Ridge now too, but I haven't rescanned for it. I'm using an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4 pointed at Santa Maria KCOY. It's strong enough to pick up all of the SLO stations (KEYT, KSBY, and PBS) all on the backside of the antenna. Funny enough, when I point the antenna at SLO, I get all of the SLO channels very easily, but KCOY/KKFX gets weak, hence why I point at Santa Maria. I might not need to do this anymore with the KCOY/KKFX repeater now in SLO, we'll see.
Don't understand the question, sorry. just stuck the rabbit ears out on the eave, one ear about 352 degrees --almost true north I reckon-- and the other not quite 180 degrees oppo. Plugged into the Roamio and then performed channel scan, the only useful ones that came up were KCOY, KSBY, CW, and KKFX.

ETA: I mean, I understand if we're talking about KEYT, 3-1, yes. otherwise...

Last edited by karrank%; 06-02-2015 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sportsnet LA Charter

For those with Charter and who care the Dodgers Channel will be on Charter CH 773 starting Tuesday June 9. No talk of extra cost....Yet!
Old 06-06-2015, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5455 View Post
For those with Charter and who care the Dodgers Channel will be on Charter CH 773 starting Tuesday June 9. No talk of extra cost....Yet!
I couldn't find the details, initial reports had SNLA only in certain LA basin areas. Interesting.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:28 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrank% View Post
I couldn't find the details, initial reports had SNLA only in certain LA basin areas. Interesting.
It was on True Blue LA web page and others. Here is the link

http://www.truebluela.com/2015/6/4/8...ers-television

BTW I reset my DVR and the channel is up and running here in Grover Beach.
karrank% likes this.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:19 AM

Anybody lose ksby this weekend?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Their transmitter was hit by lightning and was taken out. KCOY/KKFX went down on Charter too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE=rc05;35903810]Their transmitter was hit by lightning and was taken out. KCOY/KKFX went down on Charter too.
Had to unplug the Roamio, its antenna input was HOT to the touch. Yikes. After a few minutes of cooling down (I like to think of it as teaching the device a lesson about who's really the master) everything returned to normal.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:44 AM

For those who are getting OTA channels, a new transmitter is going up - of all places - on the Pismo Beach ridge.

It will be broadcasting on physical channel 12, and called K12QZ-D. Some sites indicate virtual channel 17. Low power = 0.3kw

I still have not been able to find anything concerning what the content is.

FCC info:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=185210

Last edited by kenstuart; 07-28-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstuart View Post
For those who are getting OTA channels, a new transmitter is going up - of all places - on the Pismo Beach ridge.

It will be broadcasting on physical channel 12, and called K12QZ-D. Some sites indicate virtual channel 17. Low power = 0.3kw

I still have not been able to find anything concerning what the content is.

FCC info:

https://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=185210
Thanks for the heads up. I'm all for more TV stations in our area. As I read the FCC info this is for two broadcast signals, one on top of Cuesta ridge at .3kw, the second on Pismo Beach ridge at 2.98kw. And both broadcasting on physical channel 12. I'm surprised the FCC would allow two signals so close together on the same physical channel, that will lead to interference patterns in areas.

The application was filed by "MJT Digital TV Inc." but I can't find much info about them. I did find a court document from Fresno that listed "Family Stations" as the parent company MJT. According to LinkedIn Family Stations Inc. is a Christian TV broadcaster in Oakland CA. So I'm assuming it will be a religious TV station... but that's just a guess.

Either way, don't expect to see a new channel anytime soon. KKFX filed for their digital permit on Cuesta ridge probably 4+ years before the station went live.