Santa Barbara, CA; Santa Maria, CA; San Luis Obispo, CA - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 1272 Old 10-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The purpose of SHEVRA was politics as usual. In return for strengthening the monopoly (by eliminating access to "distant networks") of the local network franchisees (e.g KEYT). The politicians (e.g Lois Capps) got favorable coverage at election time from the local network stations. All this was done under the "spin" of "give those of us in "unserved" areas an opportunity to receive HD".

Welcome to the real world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1272 Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM

Let's say.. I wanna ditch the whole MOXI thing and utilize my cableCARD slot and TiVo.. how can this be done, and what would it take?
post #183 of 1272 Old 10-13-2005, 10:20 PM

='|
post #184 of 1272 Old 10-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

I don't think there is a CableCard HD Tivo yet. So, you are stuck with your Moxi for a while. Did you finally convince Charter to give you a CableCard? If you would consider a non-Tivo, look at this

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-D2chYoH...00&I=158HDD250
post #185 of 1272 Old 10-20-2005, 08:23 PM

Not to change the subject but I noticed tonight that KSBY is broadcasting over the air in HD
I know they had been feeding some cable systems with an HD feed but tonight's prime time show showed up on 6.2 in HD. I am interested how sports will look.
post #186 of 1272 Old 10-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthompso105 View Post

Not to change the subject but I noticed tonight that KSBY is broadcasting over the air in HD
I know they had been feeding some cable systems with an HD feed but tonight's prime time show showed up on 6.2 in HD. I am interested how sports will look.

I found out a little over a month ago that they were well within a month or so from brining HD to their line up. Now if Charter will pick it up?
post #187 of 1272 Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Hopefully Comcast of Lompoc, also. They still haven't straightened out the Fox situation ( which we were to have before the Superbowl ). Really enjoying watching my beloved White Sox in stunning KKFX SD. NBC has some great stuff on prime-time HD which I am looking forward to seeing. Glad to see some of it showing up on TNT-HD. If anyone in Lompoc reads this thread, please post something!!

bis spaeter

... Here I am ... The Only HD Boy in Lompoc .....
post #188 of 1272 Old 10-25-2005, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

HDinPaso,

You might find this thread interesting:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=594916

It tells how one Charter customer was able to get a Cable Card. See post #23
post #189 of 1272 Old 10-25-2005, 11:25 AM

What is with the weird Fox bug on their HD programming. Where only the FO are in the corner of the screen. I find it distracting. It is local or a national bug? I haven't watched much baseball but don't remember it being there when I have. Just with the HD programming.
post #190 of 1272 Old 10-26-2005, 04:20 PM

Don't know, goman. The KKFX feed was actually working in Lompoc a couple of months ago for a couple weeks before permanently crapping out. That oversized "bug" appeared most of the time. Since you are experiencing it, maybe it has something to do with the KKFX feed. When I talked to the engineer at KKFX, I was told they were sending out their signal in "780p" -- thought it was 720 p -- never got that clarifed...could have something to do with it. Glad you are at least receiving it. How's the quality? Comcast says " our equipment is functioning" (so why am I still getting it in 480i?) -- so you might give KKFX a call or e-mail. Good luck to you and ***GO SOX***

... here I am, the only HD boy in Lompoc...
post #191 of 1272 Old 10-27-2005, 07:43 PM

What is with the weird Fox bug on their HD programming. Where only the FO are in the corner of the screen. I find it distracting. It is local or a national bug? I haven't watched much baseball but don't remember it being there when I have. Just with the HD programming.

My theory is that broadcasts where only the FO in FOX appears in the lower right-hand corner is due to a 4:3 digital image (not 16:9 HD) is being blown up (by Cox?) to fill the 16:9 screen thus cutting off part of the logo. The programs I've seen the FO on don't seem to be in HD but in good 4:3 digital. Just my guess.
post #192 of 1272 Old 10-30-2005, 07:59 PM

Does anyone else have terrible compression errors (I guess that's what they are) when watching 712 (CBS)? It's especially horrible during football and lots of movement? I don't see this on discover HD or ESPN HD. Although, ESPN HD has wierd green blocks that sort of flash before the football is snapped.
post #193 of 1272 Old 10-31-2005, 09:03 AM

uiucsb- yes in live sports I have seen those compression errors you are talking about. Except the US Open. I don't remeber them then. Maybe because most of the background is static.

But I do remember bad breakup during the College Basketball Final Four and obviously with Football.
post #194 of 1272 Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I want to pay for and watch/record NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD on COX in Santa Barbara using a My-HD QAM-256 PCI Capture Card in my PC.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD are "in the clear" (unscrambled) on COX in Santa Barbara?

Thanks in advance.

Murray Kerdman
post #195 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerdman View Post

I want to pay for and watch/record NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD on COX in Santa Barbara using a My-HD QAM-256 PCI Capture Card in my PC.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD are "in the clear" (unscrambled) on COX in Santa Barbara?

Thanks in advance.

They are. I can tune all three channels using my Fusion5 HDTV tuner card.
post #196 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8 View Post

They are. I can tune all three channels using my Fusion5 HDTV tuner card.

Cool!

While I uinderstood that Cox SB broadcasted NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD (networks only), the Cox website only lists the following HD channels:

706 KSBY (NBC) HD
715 Discovery HD Theatre
720 ESPN HD
731 INHD1
732 INHD2
740 HBO HD
750 Showtime HD

Which (5) HD channels are in the clear for your Fusion5 HDTV tuner card to view/record?

Murray Kerdman
post #197 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Cool!

While I uinderstood that Cox SB broadcasted NBC-HD, CBS-HD and FOX-HD (networks only), the Cox website only lists the following HD channels:

706 KSBY (NBC) HD
715 Discovery HD Theatre
720 ESPN HD
731 INHD1
732 INHD2
740 HBO HD
750 Showtime HD

Which (5) HD channels are in the clear for your Fusion5 HDTV tuner card to view/record?

I can tune NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and Universal HD. It might be possible to receive some of the others, but the Fusion software is pretty picky about detecting QAM channels.
post #198 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 209
My wife is from Santa Barbara and I was there three weeks ago for a wedding. While there, I set up my sister-in-law's plasma with the Cox SA 8300. Believe it or not, Cox set it up using the RF so my sister-in-law was not watching HD for 8 months and thought she was. Anyway, after setting it up for them, I noticed the artifacts on the CBS SEC game, Florida-LSU I think. They were much much worse than what I see here on our CBS affiliate in Philadelphia which does not multicast. I believe your CBS affiliate multicasts. If that is the case, what you were seeing was due to the bit starving of the HD signal by your affiliate and is why I am so dead set against multicasting. Complain to them about it. It can't hurt although it will most likely fall on deaf ears.
post #199 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe8 View Post

I can tune NBC-HD, CBS-HD, FOX-HD, and Universal HD. It might be possible to receive some of the others, but the Fusion software is pretty picky about detecting QAM channels.

Thanks!

I called Cox and they swore that nothing HD was in the clear.

How do you find the PQ of the HD recordings that you make with your Fusion card?

Murray Kerdman
post #200 of 1272 Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks!

I called Cox and they swore that nothing HD was in the clear.

How do you find the PQ of the HD recordings that you make with your Fusion card?

I'm quite happy with the PQ.
post #201 of 1272 Old 11-06-2005, 04:49 PM

In watching today's football games on KCOY-DT over the air, it seemed more pixalated (a word? I dunno) than usual. In looking at the posts about CBS broadcasts in another area of the board, I saw no complaints. I was wondering if folks getting KCOY via cable see the same thing, or does KCOY put out a better signal to local cable. I was also wondering if they give cable a DD 5.1 sound. I only get a digital stereo signal for audio from any KCOY broadcast.
post #202 of 1272 Old 11-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

KCOY and KKFX were both very broken up during the HD football games today. Pretty much unwatchable. Even the sound was distorted. "pixalated" is being kind. Maybe you got a better picture than I saw on Charter cable.

I have noticed problems the last couple of days, but just checked a few minutes ago and KCOY looked OK. (But they were not doing HD, just upconverts of SD)
post #203 of 1272 Old 11-08-2005, 11:23 AM

Happy to announce that about a week ago KKFX showed up in HD on Comcast. I didn't catch much of the games on Sunday, but did catch the end of the 2nd game. I did notice that the "bug" on the other HD programs during prime time did not appear and I found the picture and sound absolutely fantastic! A few periodic artifacts and mild tiling. The tiling, however, has always been more of a problem on KCOY-HD, although it has significantly improved. I noticed it more during the BB season, and during dimly lighted scenes on the prime-time shows during the week. Anyway, 2 down and 2 to go (NBC and ABC) Maybe early next year????

bis spaeter...

"Here I am -- the only HD boy in Lompoc..."
post #204 of 1272 Old 11-13-2005, 04:56 PM

I was all ready to commend KCOY for doing a better job today's football game, it had a lot fewer breakups or picalations. But alas, it looks like their digital signal on Ch 19 went off-air around 3:30. It's still off as I write this. I doubt it is my equipment, I am still getting KSBY's digital signal via my antenna.

The only person I know of getting HD over the air in Oceano... ;-)
post #205 of 1272 Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 PM

I left the house about 2:30 -- KCOY and KKFX were both brilliant on Comcast. Got home a couple of hours later -- both channels functioning. Must have been their OTA signals -- did it ever come back on? Curious -- can you get KKFX-HD or are they still cable-only? Nice location to get 3 networks OTA == we won't even mentinon KEYT ( oops -- I mentioned it! ) LOL.

Both channels did go dark sometime after primetime on Friday, however, for a couple of hours. Don't know what that was all about -- all other Comcast HD was perfect. Keep the faith!

bis spaeter...

"Here I am, the only HD boy in Lompoc..."
post #206 of 1272 Old 11-14-2005, 05:30 PM

KCOY's OTA digital signal came back up sometime during the day today, dunno when, had to do that pesky work thing...
KKFX has no HD transmitter, they do come in on 12.2 in SD, multicasting on KCOY's digital signal
post #207 of 1272 Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM

Hi all,

I recently acquired an HDTV, and whenever I watch KCOY on channel 12 (the non-HD channel in S.B.), there is a little white spot/mark at the top left of the screen. It only appears on KCOY and not on other channels...strange.

Anyone else seeing this white mark?

Thank you!
post #208 of 1272 Old 12-03-2005, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky2 View Post

Hi all,

I recently acquired an HDTV, and whenever I watch KCOY on channel 12 (the non-HD channel in S.B.), there is a little white spot/mark at the top left of the screen. It only appears on KCOY and not on other channels...strange.

Anyone else seeing this white mark?

Thank you!

I connected an antenna to my NTSC card and verified that a white spot/mark does exist. It looks like a capital T tipped to the right "-|" I have attached two screen captures showing the mark. The signal quality isn't the best, but the mark is there.

Hope that helps.

-Frank
LL
LL
post #209 of 1272 Old 12-04-2005, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I was all ready to commend KCOY for doing a better job today's football game, it had a lot fewer breakups or picalations. But alas, it looks like their digital signal on Ch 19 went off-air around 3:30. It's still off as I write this. I doubt it is my equipment, I am still getting KSBY's digital signal via my antenna.

The only person I know of getting HD over the air in Oceano... ;-)

Well Oceano sure but I'm getting OTA in Grover Beach . At least I was until I checked today and KCOY 19 isn't broadcasting, still getting NBC's 15-1 so I wonder if it is their equipment, anyone else having trouble with KCOY's HD channel?
post #210 of 1272 Old 12-04-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinfan View Post

Well Oceano sure but I'm getting OTA in Grover Beach . At least I was until I checked today and KCOY 19 isn't broadcasting, still getting NBC's 15-1 so I wonder if it is their equipment, anyone else having trouble with KCOY's HD channel?

I just checked KCOY OTA (12.1) and it available, with over 80% signal strength with my cheap antenna, in Nipomo.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page