Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1105 Old 09-16-2005, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys

Before a few years back I posted to this thread. Now I moved 8 miles out west of Midland...out M-20. Before I could get in 2-3 channels with my old Jensen non-powered antenna (WNEM, etc). I bought a new HDTV receiver - the radio shack one that was on clearance (after ebaying the last one for an $80 profit a few years back).

Do I have any hope of getting in the HD channels out here on M-20? We live in a Bi-level so the living room is about 12 feet above ground. The Jensen doesn't cut it at all. I was going to try picking up the Silver Sensor clone.

Antenna web says I need a medium directional antenna...the nearest HD station is 30.6 miles. I was hoping our additional height would help out more.

Anyone have experience with HD reception out here on M-20? Technically, we are still Midland...we are between 8 mile and 9-mile. Will the Silver Sensor or the Zenith ZHDTV1 do it? I read reviews of people getting their signal from 30-50 miles out with it...

Funny note, I tried hooking up the cable coax instead...it is hooked up to the old owner's satellite dish and Charter cable. I got 49% strength on almost all channels but a lot of noise. =(

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1105 Old 09-19-2005, 06:47 PM

Fox 66
FYI we are building a new tower and installng HD equipment, but do not expect it to be up until end of the year...depends on weather and equipment delivery. Also working on a deal with Comcast, but nothing final yet.
WRacer
Regional Manager

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #363 of 1105 Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the post WRacer!
I'm assuming that the FCC has granted a constrution permit for WSMH (ch 16) at 1000kw, and that the Canadian interference issue has been cleared up.

I'm looking forward to Fox HD in 2006.
post #364 of 1105 Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Yes, thanks very much for the post WRacer! Glad to get some good news on you guys.

Keep us informed, if you can...and thanks again!
post #365 of 1105 Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 PM

All,

I just purchase a new Sony HDTV with built-in tuner. I subscribe to dish network, but am looking to add an antenna that will pick up the local stations broadcasting in HD. I live in Saginaw Twp, almost in Freeland. I'm not an AV whiz, so I need some direction. Antenna type, what can I expect as far as stations, dialing in the tuner, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance and feel free to email me direct.

Thanks ~ Patrick
post #366 of 1105 Old 09-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I had luck getting most channels in with the Radio Shack 1880 antenna. NBC (WEYI?) continues to elude me most of the time, but if I am careful (and oddly point the antenna downward a little) I can get it at about 72% and it works for a while.

Most of my testing was during the thunderstorms/rain in the past few days, I will play with it a little more this weekend.

I'm also considering a silver sensor clone instead of the Radioshack 1880, any feedback on which is better?

Radioshack 1880:

Without the powered boost I don't get anything, I fear that an unpowered silver sensor would be the same.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #367 of 1105 Old 09-24-2005, 05:18 PM

Greenmonkey,
I am 5 miles north of US 10, off Jefferson, so probably a bit further than you from the stations except for PBS. I am using a Silver Sensor and pull in ABC, CBS and PBS. NBC eludes me with this antenna. It is however not amplified and I have not tried it with a pre-amp. Antennaweb will recommend a medium directional for anyone in the 4864x zipcodes.
post #368 of 1105 Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM

I live in Midland just below US-10 between Jefferson and Eastman. I have a small yagi type from Radio Shack mounted on my roof aimed directly at WJRT's tower. I can only pick up WJRT-HD, WNEM-DT, and sometimes WEYI-HD.

I also have a Channel Master 4228 with a pre-amp and rotor that gives me WJRT-HD, WEYI-HD, WDCP-HD & DT. When I turn it south to Lansing, I can get WLNS-HD (which is CBS) consistantly after dark, and I have been able to tune into WSYM (FOX) and WLAJ (ABC), but only when conditions are right.

I was thinking of moving it higher, but now WJRT-HD and WEYI-HD are on Charter cable. Hopefully they will work out a deal with WSMH-HD and WNEM if they ever move into the 21st century.
post #369 of 1105 Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 AM

Ok, I'm way over my head in this forum, but I thought I would try anyway. I'm looking to place an antenna to draw my local HD stations. I have a Sony HDTV with the internal receiver. I went to anntennaweb and have pasted the results:

* yellow - uhf WSMH-DT 16 FOX FLINT MI TBD 182° 17.9 16
* yellow - uhf WNEM-DT 5.1 CBS BAY CITY MI 99° 12.0 22
* yellow - uhf WJRT-DT 12.1 ABC FLINT MI 182° 17.3 36
* yellow - uhf WDCQ-DT 15.1 PBS BAD AXE MI 85° 21.6 15
* yellow - uhf WAQP-DT 49.1 TBN SAGINAW MI TBD 182° 17.9 48
* green - uhf WEYI-DT 25.1 NBC SAGINAW MI 141° 25.7 30

What antenna shouild I purchase and install? The sattion numbers listed, are they tuned simply by changing the channel on the tv?

Sorry for the simplicity, bt it's all new to me. Thanks in advance!!

Patrick
post #370 of 1105 Old 10-02-2005, 05:41 AM

Kudos to such a great thread. I'm in Frankenmuth and new to the area. Our house is an old sixties ranch, and has one of those gigantic antennas with a rotor, which I think is original equipment. With the advent of HD, it has gone from obsolete to critical.

As suggested in the thread, I tried the Lansing channels. To my pleasant surprise, they all come in with strong signals (70-90%) at least equivalent to the Flint and Saginaw channels. From what I saw last night, it looks like they have more HD programming than my "locals." I also can save a couple bucks a month by dropping local channels from Dish Network (not HD, but a much better picture than analog OTA).

Thanks for your input, everyone.
post #371 of 1105 Old 10-03-2005, 09:12 AM

This is probably a basic question from self-proclaimed newbie, but I thought I would ask it anyway.

I have DishNetwork with an HD receiver and have read some posts here that discuss "moving" to receive other market locals. As I am in Saginaw, would "moving" allow me to receive local HD programming through Dish without an external antenna? Or, am I forced to place in antenna for local reception in HD. Today, I receive Saginaw/Midland/Flint locals through Dish, but have never seen an HD broadcast using them.

Thanks,
Patrick
post #372 of 1105 Old 10-03-2005, 08:58 PM

Someone can correct this if necessary, but DISH will allow you to pick up a network HD feed if your local station is o&o (owned and operated) by the network. I think that you are qualified to request ABC because WJRT is o&o by ABC.

I have heard of other people who live in M/B/S but "moved" to Detroit so they could get CBS in HD, because WNEM does not do HD. It seems to work fine. The only thing to consider is that it puts you in the Detroit market and you take a chance to be blacked out for some of the sports. For example, a couple of years back, the RedWings played nationally on ESPN-HD, but it was blacked out in Detroit because it was also carried by Fox sports but not in HD.

The only "move" that will get you all the network locals on a dish in the Eastern time zone that I am aware of would be to New York. All you need is a viable local address. Just call DISH and "move". Go to their web site and plug in your new address. When it gives you the New York locals, request them. Once you have the locals, you might have to call them again to request the HD feeds. The DISH customer service people seemed very eager to help.
post #373 of 1105 Old 10-21-2005, 10:20 AM

Quakeman, I'm in Clio and the only Lansing station I can consistently pick up is CBS 6-1. What type of equipment are you using? Are you able to pull Fox from Lansing?
post #374 of 1105 Old 10-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Does anyone have any experience with Charter and cable cards in their HDTV? I've heard some horror stories, but it seems to be very company dependent. I plan to get an HDTV once the FP Panny's are in stock again and I'd prefer to get a cable card not a box.
post #375 of 1105 Old 10-21-2005, 01:13 PM

Well, I'm in the stages of moving out to Clio. I know I'm going to lose some stations, probably some Lansing and Detroit. Has anyone heard about 66 going HD yet? I think someone mention ed December. I hope I don't lose too many stations. Anyone in Clio? What stations do you get?
post #376 of 1105 Old 10-26-2005, 12:22 PM

I live in Clio and with an 8bay bow tie I can consistently get the following in HD.

ABC 12-1
NBC 25-2, 3 and 4 I think it is
CBS 6-1 and 23-1 Lansing
All Detroit stations except Fox (Can only get it early morning, then lose it)
Various PBS.

So Fox is the only major station I can't get HD, and I'm still working on that one. I also had read about Fox 66 (16-1) going HD late this year, early next year. Hopefully just in time for the Superbowl!
post #377 of 1105 Old 10-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Is the Superbowl on FOX in 2006? I thought it was on FOX in 2005. This is not important, but the only time I have seen the Lions in HD is the "highlights" on ESPN, rare at best. I think they might even look better in Analog.
post #378 of 1105 Old 10-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubey View Post

I live in Clio and with an 8bay bow tie I can consistently get the following in HD.

ABC 12-1
NBC 25-2, 3 and 4 I think it is
CBS 6-1 and 23-1 Lansing
All Detroit stations except Fox (Can only get it early morning, then lose it)
Various PBS.

So Fox is the only major station I can't get HD, and I'm still working on that one. I also had read about Fox 66 (16-1) going HD late this year, early next year. Hopefully just in time for the Superbowl!

So there is still hope. I know on the house, there is a old 70's still antenna. I have the big radio shack one on the current house. I will see the difference.

It's kinda funny moving to a area that doesn't provide cable. I not old enough to remeber when I couldn't get cable.
post #379 of 1105 Old 11-01-2005, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapone View Post

So there is still hope. I know on the house, there is a old 70's still antenna. I have the big radio shack one on the current house. I will see the difference.

It's kinda funny moving to a area that doesn't provide cable. I not old enough to remeber when I couldn't get cable.

You can get cable in Clio..., maybe I'm not understanding your post.
post #380 of 1105 Old 11-01-2005, 09:05 AM

Quote:

You can get cable in Clio..., maybe I'm not understanding your post.

I'm actually in Thetford Twp now. I'm on the other side of Vienna that doesn't have Cable as of yet. Sorry I didn't post that earlier.
post #381 of 1105 Old 11-04-2005, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quakeman, I'm in Clio and the only Lansing station I can consistently pick up is CBS 6-1. What type of equipment are you using? Are you able to pull Fox from Lansing?

I've got a huge antennae on the roof with a rotor. We're also on a bit of a hill facing south. The control box looks like something out of about 1972. It was probably cutting edge high tech back then. The previous owner told me he used it to get FM radio from Detroit.

I can get all the Lansing channels if the weather conditions are right. Channel 6 (CBS) always comes in great, which makes up for Channel 5's current limitations. Channel 47 (Fox) and Channel 53 (ABC) are much more spotty. If the weather is clear, I can get a pretty strong signal at night. I was able to watch some of the baseball postseason in HD. Sunday football games are much tougher to get.

I already get the Flint and Delta PBS affiliates, so I have not bothered with Lansing's. Also, Channel 25 has good HD, so I have not tried to get 10. I have not tried the UPN channel either (since Star Trek went away, there's not much point).
post #382 of 1105 Old 11-04-2005, 06:18 AM

I just noticed last night that I get HiDef PBS on Charter cable in Midland. I get it on channel 105.1 with my PC based QAM decoder. I think it is WDCQ, but I'm not sure. It had their fancy Q in the lower right hand corner.
post #383 of 1105 Old 11-04-2005, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

In general, if you are within 45 miles of a transmitting tower you can pick up a UHF station, providing you have a decent 'line of sight'. Of course, a few stations are very weak. I do get all lansing digital stations, loud and clear, from 30-40 miles. In most cases, you will need a very good UHF ant. and a roter plus, just maybe, a pre-amp to assist.
post #384 of 1105 Old 11-04-2005, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
In case some of you don't read the Lansing thread I thought I'd post this here. Gary Bliev from WKAR posted this:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdeals
First I've heard of a WB station in Saginaw. NBC 25 airs WB on a subchannel in SD, are they planning on a second transmitter/channel? That would be great with the Pistons in HD. I can't quite get their signal out of Detroit. NBC25 airs the pistons on their subchannel, but only in SD.

The construction permit has been issued for ANALOG television to Barryton Michigan Corporation (from Barryton Michigan LLC, from Acme Broadcasting). Call letters assigned are WBSF, channel assigned is 46, with 1,600kW ERP from a tower north east of Saginaw, Michigan.

Antenna proposed is directional, Lansing is outside of the Grade-B 64dBu predicted coverage contour.

There is NO digital channel assignment paired with that analog channel. The construction permit expires 10/1/2007. WBSF will have to partipate in the FCC's round three to select a digital channel assignment.

Speaking of channel assignments, WJBK in Detroit picked 7 as their DT channel after the transition. I guess they aren't worried about co-channel interference from or to WOOD-DT on 7 in Grand Rapids.

post #385 of 1105 Old 11-05-2005, 06:29 AM

More info on WBSF (WB Saginaw Flint) is available here:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?facid=82627

I would assume they will air the exact same thing coming from NBC25 subchannel 2. The good news is a few years when they are up and running in digital we will have a source for WB (Network programming and Pistons and more sports to come) in HD for those that can't quite get the Detroit station.

Their coverage looks good, especially if it stays the same when they go digital:

post #386 of 1105 Old 11-05-2005, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 73
I don't know the inner workings of the company that is operating this station, but it would seem to me a bad investment to put up an analog system in this day and age when some small stations are killing their analog feed. They already have cable and SAT carriage so they are hitting a big chunk of the market, is it simply to comply with GOV requirements they are putting up an analog station?

Since they don't even have a digital channel assigned it will be some time before they are up and running in DT, perhaps they'll be another WNEM and not do HD. It will be interesting to see how they proceed.
post #387 of 1105 Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 AM

Any word on WSMH 66 yet? Their website still has nothing.
post #388 of 1105 Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakeman View Post

Any word on WSMH 66 yet? Their website still has nothing.

We're building a new tower now, but weather is against us. Now trying to get on by Spring.

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #389 of 1105 Old 11-20-2005, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRacer View Post

We're building a new tower now, but weather is against us. Now trying to get on by Spring.

Is there any word about having Comcast broadcast fox66 before the tower is finish. There goes my Lions game in HD.
post #390 of 1105 Old 11-20-2005, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRacer View Post

Except for a little wind over the last 10 days, this has been a good fall. (Just kidding).

What is the deal with WEYI lately? NO HD! Not even any digital some nights. Even when it is working, it has become an adventure to see if it comes back on after a commercial.

How is NBC doing the 3-D thing on Monday evening? Will WEYI bother with it?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page