Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1105 Old 09-29-2006, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagoona View Post

From what I understand, although they are located in the same area, WSMH transmits at a much lower power than WJRT to avoid Canadian interference. I couldn't get WSMH for a few days until I tilted my indoor antenna upwards at about a 45 degree angle; now I can get it most of the time.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1105 Old 09-30-2006, 09:46 AM

Hey I'm not complaining anymore.....just living my happy life of bliss with FOX HD. However, since I had a few minutes I thought I'd ask if anyone has heard anything regarding the CW or Fox Sports Detroit possibly being in HD. I know they are in HD somewhere or somehow (like Detroit or if you have the Dish Network), but just not on Comcast or the Flint area.

If anyone is wondering, I'm not really wanting the CW in HD for the Gilmore Girls (haha) more so if they have Piston games this winter....

Any info would be really appreciated. Thanks!
post #633 of 1105 Old 09-30-2006, 02:26 PM

Does anybody have any word about what Charter's plans are with regard to WSMH?
post #634 of 1105 Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidity View Post

Does anybody have any word about what Charter's plans are with regard to WSMH?

Don't hold your breath! Charter is one of the only major outlets to not sign a retransmission agreement for the HD signal. It's avalable on satellite and of course with an antenna.

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #635 of 1105 Old 10-02-2006, 11:15 PM

Why does that not suprise me. . . . bunch of savages in this town. I guess that means i have to spring for the extra-big antenna, eh? Thanks for the info though.
post #636 of 1105 Old 10-03-2006, 11:52 AM

WRacer,
Where is WSMH-DT Available on Satellite?
post #637 of 1105 Old 10-07-2006, 08:28 AM

Recently connected a Samsung 451 QAM capable digital receiver to my Comcast Cable out of Pt Austin. After scanning for stations I am now receiving the following. CBS ch 5 Bay City on ch 59; ABC Ch 12 Flint on ch 60.1 with 2 sub chn on 60.3 and 60.4;NBC ch 25 Saginaw on ch 60.2; TNT HD on ch 65.1 and Finally ESPN2 HD on ch 65.2. All of the above digital channels are listed by Comcast at 231 and above.
Picture quality is great on the 50" Sony lcd projection set. Tiger ball game last night was beautiful on the ESPN ch.
No Fox out of Flint yet but hope they soon become available.
post #638 of 1105 Old 10-09-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaller View Post

WRacer,
Where is WSMH-DT Available on Satellite?

We have an agreement with the satellite companies...not sure if and when it will be on.

Jim Wright
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #639 of 1105 Old 10-10-2006, 08:31 AM

Still no luck picking up WSMH, even though I can get all the other Flint/Saginaw stations. Luckily, I can turn my antenna around to face south and get Fox 2 from Detroit.
post #640 of 1105 Old 10-10-2006, 09:10 AM

WSMH was not broadcasting in HD during the Lions game and part of the Cowboys/Eagles game. Anyone know what was happening? I guess the big question is, will the Tigers be on in HD tonight?
post #641 of 1105 Old 10-10-2006, 02:06 PM

Maybe WRacer was on to something. Directv has announced that the Flint/Saginaw HD stations are in the next group to be available from D*. An AT-9 Dish and an MPEG4 capable receiver will be necessary to receive these.
post #642 of 1105 Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCityHD View Post

WSMH was not broadcasting in HD during the Lions game and part of the Cowboys/Eagles game. Anyone know what was happening? I guess the big question is, will the Tigers be on in HD tonight?

Fox lost their HD feed system wide for about an hour so we had to switch to our upconverted feed.

Jim Wright
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #643 of 1105 Old 10-14-2006, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRacer View Post

Fox lost their HD feed system wide for about an hour so we had to switch to our upconverted feed.

Thanks for the info
post #644 of 1105 Old 10-15-2006, 11:42 AM

What is this "flip the switch" crap? The Lions game on WNEM isn't in HD right now. Why do they have to "flip the switch"? Why not leave the damn switch on, geez.
post #645 of 1105 Old 10-15-2006, 12:07 PM

not hd
post #646 of 1105 Old 10-15-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck44 View Post

not hd

Yeah, lol, just discovered that CBS isn't broadcasting this game in HD. Well, still wondering about the flip the switch business since they forget to flip it often.
post #647 of 1105 Old 10-22-2006, 12:35 PM

Why aren't we in HD today??? Fox has it listed as HD. Help me out here Racer!!!!
post #648 of 1105 Old 10-22-2006, 09:35 PM

The Lions were in HD from Fox 2 in Detroit
post #649 of 1105 Old 10-22-2006, 10:27 PM

WSMH had the World Series game in HD tonight.
post #650 of 1105 Old 10-27-2006, 12:22 PM

Just wanted to say that it was awesome to watch the Tigers in HD last night (even if it wasn't awesome to watch the outcome). Glad to see that Fox is available in digital HD now, and "The Tube" is just an added bonus.

For anyone else wondering about geographical signals, I'm in Lennon (near Durand, or more generally, between Flint and Lansing), and I get CBS ch5, CBS ch6 (sometimes), ABC ch12 (very strong), PBS 19, NBC ch25 (I think), the CW ch25.2, TCT ch48, and Fox 66.1/Tube 66.2.
post #651 of 1105 Old 11-05-2006, 11:01 PM

I have a couple of questions about Charter Cable in Midland.

1. Has anyone been able to get them to install their HD DVR? They were advertising it a while back, and now they have stopped. When I call, I get several different answers from "we will put you on our waiting list" to we don't offer that service in Midland.

2. Do they broadcast HD signals that can be picked up with a QAM tuner? Since I have been getting what seems to be a run around about their DVR, I was checking into the TIVO Series 3. It has a QAM tuner and I wonder what HD stations it might pick up if I just hook it up to the basic cable.

If anyone has the answer(s), please pass them along.
post #652 of 1105 Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM

If Charter in Midland is similar to Charter in Fenton, you will be able to pick up several local HD stations (some with subchannels, some without, and NOT FOX) and whatever people are currently watching on the "In-Demand" service (which for some reason is in the clear). All cable HD content (ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD, etc.) is scrambled.
post #653 of 1105 Old 11-07-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidity View Post

If Charter in Midland is similar to Charter in Fenton, you will be able to pick up several local HD stations (some with subchannels, some without, and NOT FOX) and whatever people are currently watching on the "In-Demand" service (which for some reason is in the clear). All cable HD content (ESPN-HD, Discovery-HD, etc.) is scrambled.

Thanks for getting back to me.
I noticed that I have a QAM capable tuner on a small LCD HD set, and hooked it up. It has an automatic channel scan. What was interesting is that I scanned for stations on Monday and again on Tuesday. I received a lot more "hits" on Tuesday, including Showtime, and several that were showing movies that I have not had time to ID yet. As I was looking through them, there was "Flicka", some Wesley Snipes movie, and at least two different episodes of Starwars.

I also got WJRT, WEYI and WNEM and the Bad Axe PBS station in HD. You are right about FOX, but I was able to get that when I hooked up my antenna. Now I have to decide if I want to use the antenna to get the locals plus FOX or the cable and pick up Showtime etc and miss out on FOX

I received a total of 66 hits tonight, but most of them were the digital music stations.
post #654 of 1105 Old 11-08-2006, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr View Post

Thanks for getting back to me.
I noticed that I have a QAM capable tuner on a small LCD HD set, and hooked it up. It has an automatic channel scan. What was interesting is that I scanned for stations on Monday and again on Tuesday. I received a lot more "hits" on Tuesday, including Showtime, and several that were showing movies that I have not had time to ID yet. As I was looking through them, there was "Flicka", some Wesley Snipes movie, and at least two different episodes of Starwars.

I also got WJRT, WEYI and WNEM and the Bad Axe PBS station in HD. You are right about FOX, but I was able to get that when I hooked up my antenna. Now I have to decide if I want to use the antenna to get the locals plus FOX or the cable and pick up Showtime etc and miss out on FOX

I received a total of 66 hits tonight, but most of them were the digital music stations.

Yup

Midland is mostly digital music stations, NBC, ABC, & PBS. You might have gotten Showtime on a free showtime weekend or something?

I had a QAM tuner hooked up, but I ditched charter due to my anger with having no service for almost a whole month and moved to Dish. I still have Charter for cable modem though, no other choices

BTW:
With the Dish HD-DVR I can pick up ABC/NBC using my amped Radio Shack antenna (top floor of my bi-level house). I get about 72-82 signal strength. They have a tendency to cut out sometimes in the daytime but work very well at night with almost no dropouts. I'm 32-36 miles away from the towers, waaaay out on M-20 near 9-mile.

I could barely pull in a stable signal with my LG LST-3510A and my Radio Shack clearance special OTA tuner...antenna had to be in a very specific spot for each channel and balanced on the windowsill. The Dish DVR has a much better OTA antenna.

Just thought I'd point it out for other Midland-area dwellers. If you're a long way out and had no luck with OTA before, I'd recommend trying a newer HD tuner like the Dish Vip622 DVR.

"I believe that only scientists can understand the universe. It is not so much that I have confidence in scientists being right, but that I have so much in nonscientists being wrong." - Isaac Asimov
post #655 of 1105 Old 11-09-2006, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyr View Post

What was interesting is that I scanned for stations on Monday and again on Tuesday. I received a lot more "hits" on Tuesday, including Showtime, and several that were showing movies that I have not had time to ID yet. As I was looking through them, there was "Flicka", some Wesley Snipes movie, and at least two different episodes of Starwars.

These channels that you picked up were the OnDemand content that people were watching at the time. If more people are using OnDemand at the time you scan, the more channels you pick up. Obviously this isn't right because somebody could be watching a pay movie and you could pick it up with your QAM tuner for free (shhh... don't tell Charter about this ).
post #656 of 1105 Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagoona View Post

These channels that you picked up were the OnDemand content that people were watching at the time. If more people are using OnDemand at the time you scan, the more channels you pick up. Obviously this isn't right because somebody could be watching a pay movie and you could pick it up with your QAM tuner for free (shhh... don't tell Charter about this ).

There is some content on those channels that are not family friendly. I told Charter and they have no freakin clue what to do. So, enjoy your On Demand. I don't think it's going anywhere. To be honest, I don't think that Charter totally understands the QAM dynamics.
post #657 of 1105 Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 AM

Has anyone on Comcast been able to receive FSN HD yet? They supposedly are on Comcast now as they have stated such on the Red Wings game the other day.
post #658 of 1105 Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post

BTW:
With the Dish HD-DVR I can pick up ABC/NBC using my amped Radio Shack antenna (top floor of my bi-level house). I get about 72-82 signal strength. They have a tendency to cut out sometimes in the daytime but work very well at night with almost no dropouts. I'm 32-36 miles away from the towers, waaaay out on M-20 near 9-mile.

I could barely pull in a stable signal with my LG LST-3510A and my Radio Shack clearance special OTA tuner...antenna had to be in a very specific spot for each channel and balanced on the windowsill. The Dish DVR has a much better OTA antenna.

Just thought I'd point it out for other Midland-area dwellers. If you're a long way out and had no luck with OTA before, I'd recommend trying a newer HD tuner like the Dish Vip622 DVR.

Have you tried WWTV from Cadilac lately? They apparently boosted their signal last week. My brother in Northeast Midland is now receiving them with a solid mid 90 signal using Directv DTC-200 receiver. He does have a 70' tower though.

John
post #659 of 1105 Old 11-15-2006, 06:51 PM

I have it here in Flint comcast on channel 201 (FSN HD)
post #660 of 1105 Old 11-21-2006, 07:45 AM

So FSN Detroit is available in HD now? The last time I checked they were one of the only FSN networks to not offer an HD channel. Well, that's great news. FSN HD is probably my most wanted channel. However, being a Charter subscriber I don't expect to get the channel anytime soon. I'm sick of tired of Charter being wayyyyy behind Comcast in terms of offering new channels and services.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page