Seattle, WA - Comcast - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #271 of 16083 Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is run over the same cable. The 5100 acts as the tuner to the cable that you plug it into, and it can tune analog, digital, and HDTV channels. Your other TVs would only tune the analog channels.

alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 16083 Old 08-08-2003, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Same line. The digital channels are placed on the upper end of the frequency.

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
post #273 of 16083 Old 08-08-2003, 03:55 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally posted by Al Shing
I noticed before they re-aired it at 9PM that they said it was being aired in "Widescreen", while Soundstage was being aired in "High-Definition".

Would that explain the difference in quality between some of these programs?

Yes, it did not look like HD because is wasn't. KCTS HD channel broadcasts a mix of HD and SD Widescreen material, such as tonight's Soundstage is HD but the following program Spartans is not.
Check Titan TV or KCTS's own HD site to determine when they have actual HD programming coming on.
post #274 of 16083 Old 08-08-2003, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by curtisb
Yes, it did not look like HD because is wasn't. KCTS HD channel broadcasts a mix of HD and SD Widescreen material, such as tonight's Soundstage is HD but the following program Spartans is not.
Check Titan TV or KCTS's own HD site to determine when they have actual HD programming coming on.

KCTS's web site doesn't actually spell out that Spartans is not an HD program.

I pretty much don't understand KCTS's programming strategy. They should have only HD stuff on the KCTSH channel, and put all the non-HD stuff on the KCTSD channel. They surely must have enough programming so they don't showing the same thing every day on KCTSH. Today's schedule is practically the same as yesterday's with a couple of exceptions. It's not like they are new at this HD stuff. They've been on for a number of years.

I guess I'm not surprised the channel is going to hell in a handbasket if this is the thinking.
post #275 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For nearly two years I've been getting all the Seattle area digital broadcasts OTA without any problems, but obviously I can't get Fox Sports Northwest and ESPN in HD OTA. As baseball season is getting to the games that really count and football season is just around the corner, I want to have as many HD games as I can get.

We've had digital cable from AT&T and now Comcast for the last 18 months while waiting for HD content over cable to become worthwhile. Our Motorola digital STBs are older and don't even have so much as S-Video out, let alone component and HD capability. Now that there's a little more available, what will I have to do and what's the least I'm going to have to pay?

Thanks,

Tim
post #276 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
We've had digital cable from AT&T and now Comcast for the last 18 months while waiting for HD content over cable to become worthwhile. Our Motorola digital STBs are older and don't even have so much as S-Video out, let alone component and HD capability. Now that there's a little more available, what will I have to do and what's the least I'm going to have to pay?

Since you have digital cable and an HDTV, all you have to do is call Comcast and have them bring you an HD cable box. They will come out and hook you up for free. There is no additional cost per month, and you will get ESPN HD for the baseball and football games, as well as the remaining six Mariners games on FSNHD.

Basically, you will be getting an HD cable box and HD programming for no additional cost over the cost of digital cable.
post #277 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

First KOMO, and now KING-5. Last night KING-5 showed an ad touting all their great HDTV programming. Like the KOMO ads, at the end it emphasizes that you can get HDTV for free.

Further evidence for the conspiracy/collusion theory - all local stations are acting together in a well-organized plan to put the screws to Comcast.
post #278 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the tip, Al. I'll be giving them a call on Monday for sure to get an appointment set up.

I really feel for those here who can't get KOMO-DT and KING-DT OTA and really have no choice but Comcast. It does seem mighty odd that they're both making a big deal about HDTV being free via OTA, and at the same time not allowing Comcast to distribute it to those who can't get it OTA. I'm not sure what they fear except that Comcast may be able to leverage that programming by selling advertising that KOMO and KING wouldn't benefit from. If that's what's holding things up, then Comcast certainly shares the responsibility of things not getting done.

The sooner all local DT is available via Comcast the better, I think. It's definitely not as seamless to have to switch between OTA and cable programming. The only question would be how much that affects how many more commercials we'll have to work around.

Cheers,

Tim
post #279 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Since you have digital cable and an HDTV, all you have to do is call Comcast and have them bring you an HD cable box. They will come out and hook you up for free.

I've been told you can also go to a local Comcast store and pick up a DCT5100 and install the box yourself. I didn't do that. instead , they sent a tech who had never hooked up a component TV. He couldn't get it to work and would not let me help him. Finally, he stepped outside to call his supervisor (cell didn't work inside my house). That's when I found out he had one of the component output cables hooked up to one of the analog audio output channels. Doh! I fixed it myself and had it running before he finished his phone call. Also, he was totally confused by the optical connector. Did that for him as well.

One thing you may really liek (I do) is that the S-Video output along with the Component is also active and avaible on all of the channels. I use that signal to feed my PVR.

Good luck!
post #280 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tluxon
I'm not sure what they fear except that Comcast may be able to leverage that programming by selling advertising that KOMO and KING wouldn't benefit from. If that's what's holding things up, then Comcast certainly shares the responsibility of things not getting done.

Given that Comcast has had HD locals up & running in almost every other major market for some time now - one can only conclude that it's the Seattle local stations who are holding things up here. Seems to me they're all working together to force Comcast to pay more for their local HD signals (at least more than Comcast is paying in other cities).
post #281 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jameskollar

One thing you may really liek (I do) is that the S-Video output along with the Component is also active and avaible on all of the channels. I use that signal to feed my PVR.

Good luck!

Oh, that would be sa-weeeeeeet. I get so tired of having to switch my HIRD-E86 between 1080i out and 480i out to record on the Replay.

Thanks for the tip - I've found that I usually know more about installation than the techs that get sent out for either cable or phone stuff. I'll swing by Comcast on the way home tomorrow and see if I can get the HD box. Do I have to buy it in lieu of paying rent or will they just swap it with my older digital box?
post #282 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 09:31 PM

They'll just swap it out for your old box. However, they won't let you pick up the box at their store. They make you set up an appointment for one of their experts to come out and hook it up for you. I ended up hooking it up myself while "the expert" watched.
post #283 of 16083 Old 08-10-2003, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seatlsteve
They'll just swap it out for your old box. However, they won't let you pick up the box at their store. They make you set up an appointment for one of their experts to come out and hook it up for you. I ended up hooking it up myself while "the expert" watched.

That was my understanding. It's because they want to physically verify that you actually have an HDTV before giving you an HD box. Otherwise everyone would be picking one up at the store in order to get the Dolby Digital capability.

I can't imagine they are getting these in en masse anymore because everyone is going to be looking for HD PVR units in a few months. The DCT 5100 is nearly obsolete already, only after a year.
post #284 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Al Shing
I can't imagine they are getting these in en masse anymore because everyone is going to be looking for HD PVR units in a few months. The DCT 5100 is nearly obsolete already, only after a year.

What HD PVR units? In order to do that with comcast you'd need an HD PVR box that ran on their system, at least with the premiums.

If they are indeed running the locals (all ONE of them at this point) as QAM 256 and in the clear then you'd need a box that did that. I don't know of any HD pvr boxes coming out tht do that. But I could be wrong.
post #285 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
What HD PVR units? In order to do that with comcast you'd need an HD PVR box that ran on their system, at least with the premiums.

If they are indeed running the locals (all ONE of them at this point) as QAM 256 and in the clear then you'd need a box that did that. I don't know of any HD pvr boxes coming out tht do that. But I could be wrong.

I have read somewhere on AVS that the DCT6200 is an HD PVR that is scheduled to be released late this summer.
post #286 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The DCT 6200 is optionally an HD PVR, while the DCT6208 has it as a standard feature.

See http://www.cedmagazine.com/ced/2003/0803/ID1_08.pdf
post #287 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the link. I notice that it says the 6200 will replace the 5100. I've been wanting to time-shift HD from the first time I had it a couple years ago. If it makes a difference, I'd choose to forego a couple months of ESPN and Fox Sports Northwest games in HD if it would mean a more painless transition to time-shifting HD with a 620X. Do you think it would make a difference, or should I just go ahead with the 5100 and try to upgrade to the 620X when it becomes available?
post #288 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you think it would make a difference, or should I just go ahead with the 5100 and try to upgrade to the 620X when it becomes available?

Go for it! Two things: Don't expect a HD PVR soon. They're still experimenting with it on the East Coast (I think that's right) and they're using SA boxes, not MOT.

Second, you just rent the box. You don't own it. IMO, I'm sure they'll swap it.

Didn't know you couldn't pick up a DCT5100 at the store. Another thing the tech guy told me that was wrong
post #289 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I was told I could pick up a DCT5100 at the store by the CSR on the phone. But when it came time to place an order, that turned out to be wrong. There was no way they would let me install my own. I was interested in Mariners baseball in HD. But then I decided to wait for Comcast to pick up the locals in Seattle. I hope they do it while I am still alive.

Dave
post #290 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want ESPN HD now I wouldn't bother waiting for them to rollout new boxes. They won't necessarily do it the moment they are available. It would only take a couple minutes for them to replace the box. Of course you have to wait for them to show up that one extra time, but who knows how long til new boxes come out.

And as for them doing the installation, I had my cables ready ahead of time so all that needed to be done was plug the box in. I think they just want someone there to confirm you have an HD set before they hand over one of the more expensive boxes.

-Rob
post #291 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, people shouldn't be waiting to upgrade to HD capabilities. Everyone who upgrades increases the number of people who have HD on cable, which might mean something to those holdout local channels.

Certainly wouldn't hurt to let the cable company know they are doing something right for a change.
post #292 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

My wife just let me know that she set up an appointment. They want to charge us $16 for the box with no monthly fees and $15 for "Home Theater Access" to get dolby digital. Why would they charge me for that? You'd think I'd be able to just hook an optical audio cable up to the box myself and get dolby digital, wouldn't you?
post #293 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 03:09 PM

I picked up the following post from the espnhd.com forum. I can't vouch for its accuracy:

"Brian,

Thank you for your letter (and your business).

ESPN HD just launched Aug 4 on ch 176. KOMO 4 and KCTS PBS WILL LAUNCH Aug 28.

We continue to negotiate with BELO and are very close to "signing" KING5 and KONG6. We have also been working with KCPQ Fox and UPN. I feel confident these negotiations will allow Comcast to launch by EOY.

There is a lot more additions planned including 2 "new" channels for Hi def in the Fall, plus VOD for the HOLIDAYS.

Stay tuned.

Thanks again."

The email is apparently from a local Comcast executive by the name of Rick Germano (Rick_Germano@cable.comcast.com)

I suspect the two new channels are the in demand HD channels (check out inhd.com). Comcast is a part-owner of In Demand.

Again, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this info - I'm just passing along something I found elsewhere
post #294 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well the tidbit about KOMO is interesting even though the dates mentioned for KCTS and ESPN are wrong. I did read a similar quote somewhere (most likely earlier in this thread) from a Comcast rep saying they were very close to a deal with one of the locals, maybe they were referring to KOMO. I would like to get at least one of them soon and hope that would pressure the others into getting a deal done.

-Rob
post #295 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 04:37 PM

my experience when ordering COMCAST HD:
I was specifically told you could not pick up the 5100 at their store
I was told there was a promotional offer for free installation
My first bill had a credit for the installation fee ($16 or so)
My first bill had a charge for a "home theater access fee" ($15)
I called and complained adamantly that $15 was not FREE and they finally caved and gave me a credit.
the tech wasn't very knowledgeable, he knew what component cables were though! but the digital 5.1 threw him off...
post #296 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know anything about a "home theater access fee". There is an entry in my bill labeled "HDTV Access" but it's $0.00 for now. Looks like they're ready to start billing any time though.

Could be the HT Access Fee is absorbed into my digital cable package, or is just something they added later and can't refit into the "old-timers" bills. Is it a one-time charge or monthly?
post #297 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 06:54 PM

it's supposedly a one time only installation fee
post #298 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Do they give you a toslink cable? Could that be the cost?

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
post #299 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tivolicious
Do they give you a toslink cable? Could that be the cost?

The only cable that they gave me was a combined component/analog audio cable. It is rolled up in my closet gathering dust. The installer kept telling me what a great "composite" cable it was.
post #300 of 16083 Old 08-11-2003, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have the first recorded (at least that's what the tech said) "dead" 5100 box in the seattle area. I lost HD last week, and cable altogther died on saturday....the box just was toast!

it was replaced today, and now I get KCTS HD - too bad there's no HD on it tonite I did get to watch some of the game on espnhd...looked great!

Cheers,

Rich
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page