Seattle, WA - Comcast - Page 115 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3421 of 16083 Old 09-23-2004, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No, but to be honest I only watch football on ABC and it's not so noticeable with football.

I have zero faith of getting ESPN2. Looks like Comcast has totally abandoned HDTV for in demand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Originally posted by artseattle
Besides the CBS debacle, I think the next most irritating thing is the problem with sound synchronization. I watched a few minutes of "The Mountain," and the sound was way off. ABC-KOMO is often off and so is PBS. Is this the state of the art?

KOMO reported last year that the 5.1 sound contributed to the difficulty. However, I think KING looks pretty good with its new 5.1 sound.

What are others observing? Am I the only one bothered by this?

Sound synchronization is a problem with a lot of HD. The problem is not necessarily with Comcast.

BTW, I forget if I said this in this thread, but I suspect Comcast will get KIRO when KIRO finally gets the ability to do local commercials in their HD feed. Until then, they probably don't really want many people watching them in HD.
post #3423 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom_Oliver
I have zero faith of getting ESPN2. Looks like Comcast has totally abandoned HDTV for in demand.

I get that feeling too, and in demand has quickly wore out its welcome for me, except for catching American Chopper.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #3424 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM

I wouldn't mind getting TNT-HD. NBC can't be bothered to broadcast NASCAR in it (much less widescreen digital like FOX did for theirs) and while not a big NASCAR fan, it does make it more enjoyable.

And I would not mind catching the old HD Law and Order episodes broadcast before Comcast gave us NBC HD.
post #3425 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 10:26 AM

I agree that the 5.1 sound quality is amazing. I just don't understand why there are so many dropouts. My home theater equipment goes nuts when it "drops back in". Is it just that the technology is too new to be consistant, or are they just not paying as much attention to it because in SD TV, a sound dropout is a minor thing.
post #3426 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom_Oliver,

I disagree about ESPN2. Sure, Comcast takes a long time for some channels, and they are concentrating on the VOD and 6412s now, but getting ESPN2 isn't until sometime in January.

It has been three months since nationally Comcast added DiscoveryHD. Last week they added the two NFL Network GOTW shows in HD. I think we are all hoping for HDNET/Movies, and for TNT-HD and BravoHD+ in varying degrees. I don't know about any of those any time soon, but I would be really peeved if ESPN2 didn't come on.

I think the Magic 8 Ball did see ESPN2 HD in Comcast's future, did it not?

Rich N.
post #3427 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

hey any of you guys DLP, and/or X1 owners?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=450363

"the one who has the most fun wins."
post #3428 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 PM

I'm not sure about the NFL Network or other pay channels, but basically the only HD channel they've added in almost a year is Discovery HD. I'm sure some day we'll get ESPN2, just like CBS, but I'm not sure if I'll still be alive when it happens.

Quote:

Originally posted by raidbuck
Tom_Oliver,

I disagree about ESPN2. Sure, Comcast takes a long time for some channels, and they are concentrating on the VOD and 6412s now, but getting ESPN2 isn't until sometime in January.

It has been three months since nationally Comcast added DiscoveryHD. Last week they added the two NFL Network GOTW shows in HD. I think we are all hoping for HDNET/Movies, and for TNT-HD and BravoHD+ in varying degrees. I don't know about any of those any time soon, but I would be really peeved if ESPN2 didn't come on.

I think the Magic 8 Ball did see ESPN2 HD in Comcast's future, did it not?

Rich N.

post #3429 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by raidbuck
Last week they added the two NFL Network GOTW shows in HD.

Those don't seem to be available in HD in Seattle.
post #3430 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by billymac

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=450363

DLP owner for several months. Watched ER, had no problems with brightness, my only problems have been audio amplification when going from SD to HD. Picture qualtiy has been great on available true HD channels, I compare DLP with plasma every time I am in stores and have never been disappointed in my choice.
post #3431 of 16083 Old 09-24-2004, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I compare DLP with plasma every time I am in stores and have never been disappointed in my choice.

And it's going to get even better. The xHD3 DLP chip is just around the corner (for rear projection only) which will have true native HD resolution (1920x1080p vs 1280x720p in the current chips). The constrast ratio of the newest chips is better than 3000:1. Older units have a contrast ratio of 1500:1.

I'm waiting for the newer chip before replacing my direct view HD set. By the time this new set is out and at a reasonable price (< $4000) I expect I'll have a DCT 6412 with new Microsoft Guide and a JVC30K to offload HD content for "permanent" storage. Hope this is possible before Xmas. If not, I'll wait...
post #3432 of 16083 Old 09-25-2004, 09:42 AM

[quote]Originally posted by jameskollar
[b]And it's going to get even better. The xHD3 DLP chip is just around the corner (for rear projection only) which will have true native HD resolution (1920x1080p vs 1280x720p in the current chips). The constrast ratio of the newest chips is better than 3000:1. Older units have a contrast ratio of 1500:1.

I know things always get better, but dammit a guy would never get anything if always waiting for the next improvement. I will be envious but still feel very lucky to have my current choice. The price difference certainly favors DLP and the quality is there also.
post #3433 of 16083 Old 09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Originally posted by billymac

Yeah, a satisified X1 owner here, but I've given up on ER years ago! LOST looked all right on the X1 a few days ago, though.

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #3434 of 16083 Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

nodog2

I agree! I would have bought a DLP over a year ago but the wife said NO WAY! You see, she's smarter than me. I finally wore her down, took her to a Best Buy store and showed her several DLPs. To say the least, she was impressed! Just this month she finally broke down and said OK but I better not ask to upgrade the set for a very long time (doesn't she understand that you constantly have to upgrade! )

So I started my research, found out about the xHD3, and decided that's what I really want. It's not availbale yet Neither is the 6412 or HD DVD's, two things that I really, really want. So, I wait...
post #3435 of 16083 Old 09-25-2004, 12:11 PM

Why would anyone want to get a DLP when you can get a Panasonic TH-50PHD6UY Plasma ?

post #3436 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
50" is just TOO small! 100-120" screen is where it's @

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #3437 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

djmattyb:

Uh, 50" DLP costs significantly less than a 50" HD plasma. Maybe that's a reason.

Fix a plasma? I don't think the glass panel can be fixed. The DLP has 4 basic parts (mirror assembly, circuit board, light assembly, color wheel) that are all fixable/replaceable. That might be a reason.

In some instances maybe the plasma has a better picture, but there are benefits to DLP. And although I'm not sure how much an issue burn-in might be, it isn't any issue with DLP.

Rich N.
post #3438 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

djmattyb:

I looked up the Pana unit you mentioned. It seems to be one of the better ones. Saw it priced at $4600 and above. It has no speakers (thats ok with me) but can be an add on for $400. Digital input (DVI) is available only as an add on card for another $200. It also cannot do native 1920x1080p nor does any other plasma that I know of. The DLPs I've seen have built in speakers/amps and digital inputs. Keep that in mind when doing a price comparison.

Other specifications such as contrast, 3:2 Pulldown, etc. are comparable between DLP and the Pana Plasma.

Current 50" DLPS go for < $3000. The only adavantage I can see to plasma is the form factor, but again I don't really care bout that since wall mount would not work for me. Oh yeah, I'd need to buy a stand for the plasma at $300.

Except for the "coolness" factor, I don't know why anyone would buy a plasma over a DLP, especially when the new native 1080p sets come out.
post #3439 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jameskollar
nodog2

So I started my research, found out about the xHD3, and decided that's what I really want. It's not availbale yet Neither is the 6412 or HD DVD's, two things that I really, really want. So, I wait...

DOES ANYONE THINK ITS REMOTELY POSSIBLE THAT AN UPGRADE TO THE XHD3 WOULD BE POSSIBLE?? SURE WOULD BE NICE, I'D HAVE TO SEE IF IT WOULD BE WORTH THE COST AS RIGHT NOW I AM DELIGHTED WITH MY DLP PICTURE (SAMMY 56")
post #3440 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I DON'T KNOW - BUT IT MIGHT BE NICE TO GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC, WHICH I BELIEVE WAS SEATTLE/COMCAST - NOT DLP PROJECTORS!!!

NO, I'M NOT SHOUTING - REALLY!!!!
post #3441 of 16083 Old 09-26-2004, 09:38 PM

Back on topic. Where do most of us set the comcast box for watching football? Tonight I set the box for 480p to watch ESPNHD Sunday night football and didn't notice any change in picture quality (Quite Good) from previously setting it at 720p. Anyone else use 480p rather than 720p? Thanks. PS: Maybe it'll make a difference for Monday night football as ABC uses 720p.
post #3442 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 04:03 AM

I'm currently receiving analog-only cable (my bill says "limited" cable plus "expanded" cable and it costs $40/month). I've just purchased an EDTV and would like to upgrade my cable service. I initially thought I'd have to upgrade to digital cable, but on Comcast's website, they offer a service called "High Definition Television for Analog Customers" for $6.75/month. What exactly does this get me? What will I be missing out on by not having digital cable? What is the model of the cable box that I will be getting?

There's actually a similar service named "High Definition Television for Digital Customers". That only costs $5/month, but I assume that in order to be eligible for this service, I would also have to have digital cable, and the cheapest digital cable package seems to be $52/month for "Digital Classic". Is there any cheaper digital cable package out there? Perhaps one that's not advertised but that they will give you if you ask for it by name? Also, is the cable box I would receive for the "High Definition Television for Digital Customers" service any different than the cable box for the "High Definition Television for Analog Customers" service?

[rant]
I'm pretty sure that these are popular, basic, FAQ-level questions I'm posing, but sheesh, 173 pages?? How are people supposed to weed out this type of information so that the same questions are not asked over and over again?
[/rant]
post #3443 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jliem
I'm currently receiving analog-only cable (my bill says "limited" cable plus "expanded" cable and it costs $40/month). I've just purchased an EDTV and would like to upgrade my cable service. I initially thought I'd have to upgrade to digital cable, but on Comcast's website, they offer a service called "High Definition Television for Analog Customers" for $6.75/month. What exactly does this get me? What will I be missing out on by not having digital cable? What is the model of the cable box that I will be getting?

It should get you the locals in HD (except for KIRO, which doesn't have an agreement with Comcast yet). I believe it also gives you access to any premium channels which are offereing in HD that you've otherwise subscribed to. I believe this is actually just the cost of the HD box, so if you're already renting a box for that set it might not be that much more than what you're paying now.

I believe there's also one for a few bucks more ($5 maybe) that I'm going to have to look into, that will get yoy ESPN-HD and the two channels INHD channels, and possibly Discovery in HD.

BTW, if you want DVI, make sure you let them know. They apparently have some older boxes kicking around that don't do DVI. Same with Firewire.
post #3444 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by footballnut
Back on topic. Where do most of us set the comcast box for watching football? Tonight I set the box for 480p to watch ESPNHD Sunday night football and didn't notice any change in picture quality (Quite Good) from previously setting it at 720p. Anyone else use 480p rather than 720p? Thanks. PS: Maybe it'll make a difference for Monday night football as ABC uses 720p.

I think it depends mostly on your display, & it may also be that your not picky enough.... At first on my EDTV Panny Plasma, I initially didn't see too much difference between 480p & the others. This was me just getting used to "Plasma Shock". Now after viewing many HD programs of varying, quality, 480p has nothing on 720 or 1080. Its better than analog, but can't be compared to the other 2.

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #3445 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jliem

There's actually a similar service named "High Definition Television for Digital Customers". That only costs $5/month, but I assume that in order to be eligible for this service, I would also have to have digital cable, and the cheapest digital cable package seems to be $52/month for "Digital Classic". Is there any cheaper digital cable package out there? Perhaps one that's not advertised but that they will give you if you ask for it by name? Also, is the cable box I would receive for the "High Definition Television for Digital Customers" service any different than the cable box for the "High Definition Television for Analog Customers" service?

[rant]
I'm pretty sure that these are popular, basic, FAQ-level questions I'm posing, but sheesh, 173 pages?? How are people supposed to weed out this type of information so that the same questions are not asked over and over again?
[/rant]

I mainly use DirecTV, but went with Comcast for HD local channels. My bill says I have 'Limited Cable Service' ($12.30 minus a $6.31 discount), plus a $6.75 fee for 'Advanced Set Top Receiver and Remote'. When it was first installed I got every channel Comcast offers. Several months later I was informed of an audit on their end and now I basically just get basic analog cable -- with just local channels in HDTV (this is what I was supposed to get from the start). When my 6 month promotion ends I will probably ditch Comcast all together and just do over-the-air for locals. I have not been very impressed with Comcast. It looks like effective January 1, 2005 the basic analog cable package will be $29.99 a month. That's ridiculous.
post #3446 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsamans
IIt looks like effective January 1, 2005 the basic analog cable package will be $29.99 a month. That's ridiculous.

What are you basing that on?

BTW, you'd better make sure you can get all the channels you want OTA. I was mainly looking for a second source for HD, since my MyHD card cannot record and watch something else at the same time. But Comcast does allow me to pull in some other minor channels (mainly 9 and 11).
post #3447 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by jimre
I DON'T KNOW - BUT IT MIGHT BE NICE TO GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC, WHICH I BELIEVE WAS SEATTLE/COMCAST - NOT DLP PROJECTORS!!!

NO, I'M NOT SHOUTING - REALLY!!!!

Ouch!! Oooooh. You're right - I'm sorry.
post #3448 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Karyk
What are you basing that on?

BTW, you'd better make sure you can get all the channels you want OTA. I was mainly looking for a second source for HD, since my MyHD card cannot record and watch something else at the same time. But Comcast does allow me to pull in some other minor channels (mainly 9 and 11).

I got that price off the Comcast webpage HERE -- that's the 'introductory offer,' the fine print says "Effective January 1, 2005, regular monthly rate for Basic Cable, currently $27.74/mo. - $44.99/mo., depending on area applies."

I'm up on the Sammamish plateau which should be pretty good for OTA, just a matter of getting a decent antenna on the roof. It will be a good fall project at any rate. No pun intended
post #3449 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jsamans
I got that price off the Comcast webpage HERE -- that's the 'introductory offer,' the fine print says "Effective January 1, 2005, regular monthly rate for Basic Cable, currently $27.74/mo. - $44.99/mo., depending on area applies."

I'm up on the Sammamish plateau which should be pretty good for OTA, just a matter of getting a decent antenna on the roof. It will be a good fall project at any rate. No pun intended

That's basic cable. The cheap stuff is limited basic, and something you can't even find on their web page (although apparently you can for some localities outside of Washington).
post #3450 of 16083 Old 09-27-2004, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Karyk
BTW, if you want DVI, make sure you let them know. They apparently have some older boxes kicking around that don't do DVI. Same with Firewire.

Yes, I will want a DVI output from the box. Is there a specific model of cable box I should ask for? Perhaps the Motorola 6200?

And will the box be different if I'm still going to stick with analog vs. if I upgrade to digital cable?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page