Seattle, WA - Comcast - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
post #451 of 16103 Old 09-02-2003, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is Comcast going to show the whole ABC HDTV lineup? The ad in the paper mentions like 8 shows and leaves it right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 16103 Old 09-02-2003, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by simmike
Is Comcast going to show the whole ABC HDTV lineup? The ad in the paper mentions like 8 shows and leaves it right there.

Yes, they are just rebroadcasting the KOMO HD signal.
post #453 of 16103 Old 09-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
Yeah that delay/lag in the audio was pretty annoying last night for NYPD Blue.. it's not that much off, but just enough to notice it..

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #454 of 16103 Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a thread I started about the lack of Comcast carrying KIRO-DT, among other Cox Television-owned stations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...postid=2626506
post #455 of 16103 Old 09-03-2003, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have been seeing the same lag on Komo, and have been playing with the 5100's audio settings, and it seems to get better with the no compression, light compression settings compared to the heavy compression settings, the volumn also gets louder with no compression too.....
post #456 of 16103 Old 09-03-2003, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
yep, that's fine for analog audio, but i'm using digital....those settings don't affect the digital output...

Honestly, tonite the audio lag on george lopez didn't seem to be too bad...

Rich
post #457 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 12:16 AM

Drew Carey had nasty sync issues. Instant flip! I never watch crappy network channels anyways. Hope it's better tommorow though!!!!!! Even though the sync doesn't matter during football I guess.
post #458 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 02:46 PM

Regarding the lip-sync issue, I received this promising response from KOMO:

Hello Michael -

Yes, we are well aware of the lip-sync problems with some ABC network
programs. We are working with their engineers to try to identify where in
the system things are not right.

We are seeing sync problems only when KOMO takes the second network
satellite feed that contains HDTV with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. This feed is
not used during the none-HDTV programming. Local programming...NW Afternoon,
Channel 4 News, and the normal analog network satellite feed are not
affected.

I have personal experience with this issue. I two DTV receivers...one is a
HiPix computer card receiver, the second is an early generation Panasonic
receiver. There are times, ususally during a network movie, when the HiPix
audio is delayed enough to be very distracting. At the same time, the
Panasonic receiver is close enough that any delay is not readily noticed. I
do not see sync problems on other stations. I don't know if there is any
connection, but KOMO is the only station that I am aware of that is
transmitting DD 5.1.

We know of at least one receiver that has had audio decoding software
problems. The first generation Samsung DTV receivers (I beleive the model
number is SIR-151) have had problems that were corrected by an update of the
firmware.

Rest assured, we are working to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Best regards,

Don WIlkinson
Fisher Communications
KOMO-TV, KOMO-DT
post #459 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 02:47 PM

Is everyone seeing KOMO on channel 104? My 5100 refuses to tune to channel 104 and I couldn't find KOMO-HD on any other channels.

I'm located in Ravenna.

alex
post #460 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 02:58 PM

Works for me on 104. I also get the sync problem. Thanks for the post about them addressing it!
post #461 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 03:00 PM

BTW there is a post in the main group about FOX getting added to Comcast in some markets. Any word about Seattle?
post #462 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 03:02 PM

Unfortunately I just had Dishnet installed after learning that Comcast didn't provide service in my area (NE Tacoma / South Fed Way). Two weeks after having it installed I've now found that Comcast has just become available in my area with high definition... argh!

I may be biting the bullet and subscribing to Comcast while still paying for Dishnet. My apartment location doesn't allow me to receive any sort of HD signal from Dishnet or DirectTV.

I purchased a Samsung HLN437W in anticipation of HD, only to find I couldn't have it.

As I understand it, I can get all Monday night football in HD, along with ESPN and PBS. I'm not interested in HBO and Showtime.

So, what kind of content can I expect to see on ESPN HD? Is Sportscenter in HD? What % of their broadcast is in HD?

What the hell do I want PBS in HD for?

Why don't they offer Discovery HD, or HDNet?

What can we expect in the near (before the end of the year) future in the Seattle area? I would assume the other local stations (KING, etc) would want to jump on board ASAP with KOMO being in HD... right?

Oh - and the Mariners games... even though the season is almost done.

What is the approximate cost of setup / ongoing monthly? Do you get a price break for also having Internet access through them?

Sorry about all the questions, but I've talked to Comcast three times and haven't gotten satisfaction.

Good..... Bad..... I'm the guy with the gun.
"Theater in the Thicket" dedicated build thread
post #463 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 03:23 PM

ESPN is pretty lame imho. None of the off field programming is in HD format like Sportscenter. They have some new Playmaker series I'm not interested in that is in HDTV format. Why ESPN is getting into that kind of programming is beyond me. The have had some football games in HD format and they looked great, but it's really, really rare when I turn it on and see anything in HD format. Worse is they stretch all the none HDTV format stuff so it looks pretty horrible and the volume for me is very LOUD. They have a lot of work to do before this is interesting for other than the occasional game they broadcast. There is a schedule on their site http://espn.go.com/espnhd/schedule.html. You'll notice there is not much in HDTV format and half of it is the Playmaker thing.

I'm sure it will be better in six months or so, but it's nothing to get excited about today.

Having said that I just switched from DirecTV to Comcast and I've been pretty happy so far. Kind of cool to come home and suddenly channels like KOMO and ESPNHD are available without me having to do a thing.
post #464 of 16103 Old 09-04-2003, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Wetmore
Is everyone seeing KOMO on channel 104? My 5100 refuses to tune to channel 104 and I couldn't find KOMO-HD on any other channels.

I'm located in Ravenna.

alex

Alex, I'm in W.Seattle and had to call tech support and have them push a signal to the box. 1-3 minutes later I got the station, Hope this helps.
This is also why I am lurking here so much, so I can see when a new station shows up, so if it doesn't show on my box, I can give em a call again... You know, once bitten......
post #465 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I emailed Comcast and got the following info on new locals:
Quote:

Thank you for your letter. Here is the status of Comcast's HD offerings:
KOMO (ABC) HD was added Aug 28 (still working on channel number)

KIRO (CBS) has been under discussion for over 18 months. There are little or no CBS stations nationwide allowing any cable operator carriage of CBS HD Signal.

KING 5 (NBC) and KONG 6 are owned be Belo and we are very close to a deal to allow Comcast to launch their HD feeds.

KCPQ (Fox) and UPN are also in contract negotiations with us. We expect "permission for carriage" by the end of the year.

KCTS (PBS) HD was added the week of August 4.

Comcast will also be adding two new exclusive HD channels this fall. Plus our new video on demand project in time for the holidays.

Stay tuned...

Rick Germano
SVP - NW Region

post #466 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the info, Joe. It'll be great to have KING--I wish we could get KIRO, though. There are some great shows on CBS in HD.

It'll be great to have InHD and InHD2 this fall (no doubt these are the 2 "exclusive HD channels" of which he's speaking. I'd really like to be able to turn on HD (anything at all in HD) 24 hours a day. Let's hope we'll get those 2 channels as soon as Sept 15th, but you can never tell, I suppose.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Anderpants
post #467 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm also disappointed with the apparent lack of progress with KIRO. CBS seems to have the highest percentage of HD during prime time, so KIRO is a big gap in our coverage. An absent KIRO will be particularly painful when the Super Bowl is broadcast on CBS in January.

KIRO is not owned by CBS (they're owned by Cox Communications) so I hoped that KIRO might come on board like some of the other CBS affiliates. However, Cox owns stations in several markets (not all are CBS affiliates) and none of those stations have reached agreement with Comcast to allow HD carriage, so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I also assume that the two exclusive new HD stations are the two new INHD stations. The only thing that bothers me is that the Comcast launch of INHD is supposed to be on September 15 and Mr. Germano's email (dated September 4) was silent as to what the stations will be and when we will get them. Everybody knows that Comcast plans to launch INHD across most of their systems on September 15, so there doesn't seem to be any reason for Mr. Germano to play coy with us unless he doesn't know when he will be ready to launch them here in Seattle.

Hopefully, I'm just being paranoid. However, we had two months of "coming soon" for KCTS, so I am not hopeful that Comcast will be more nimble with INHD. In fairness, they did get ESPNHD fairly quickly after that agreement was signed, so hopefully Comcast will prove me wrong.
post #468 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by stewc

Moto5100 FAQ published by Miatasm (see the HDTV hardware forum) -- he is a Comcast tech who really knows his stuff! -- Stew

I have never stated that I am a Comcast Tech....

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #469 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your letter. Here is the status of Comcast's HD offerings:

KIRO (CBS) has been under discussion for over 18 months. There are little or no CBS stations nationwide allowing any cable operator carriage of CBS HD Signal.

Stay tuned...

Rick Germano
SVP - NW Region

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...little or no CBS stations nationwide allowing any cable operator carriage of CBS HD Signal." ???

This guy is either grossly misinformed or greatly stretching the truth.

First, there are the many TimeWarner and other cable systems (Cablevision, for example) that DO carry CBS all over the U.S.

Secondly, Comcast has MANY independently owned CBS affiliates who have agreed to let Comcast carry their CBS HD signals: Atlanta, Washington, D.C./Northern Virginia, Central Pennsylvania area, Nashville, TN, Knoxville, TN and Chattanooga, TN, Little Rock, AR, Tampa, FL and even more. Plus, one CBS O&O is carried on Comcast, in Chicago (pursuant to a contract dating back to AT&T Broadband).

As to CBS carriage, he apparently has little idea what he is talking about. Maybe he thought you were some poor boob who knows nothing and would just believe whatever he might decide to say.

Moreover, he did not say why the hold up has been 18 months.

I am not saying the 18 months is Comcast's fault, but maybe you should contact KIRO (or Cox Television) to get its perspective. Cox has not yet allowed Comcast carriage of ANY of its stations' digital signals. However, the inaccuracy of a Comcast regional VP's representation regarding CBS carriage on cable operators does make one think twice about simply accepting Comcast's version of what is going on.
post #470 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

I'm not sure of this maybe you can inform me better, but aren't the only Cable Co's carrying CBS, the one's where the local CBS stations are independantly owned. Meaning, that where CBS station are owned by CBS National, those areas are not getting CBS on Cable. If so, wouldn't this mean that CBS is the one holding out, and causing most of the delays. I think it is going to get harder for CBS to negotiate, when the Cable Co's have agreements with all of the HD channels except for CBS. Philly region has just recently launched ESPN, Fox EDTV (9/5, just in time for Eagles football), and InHD 1&2 are on the way 9/15.

I hope CBS comes around soon. They are the only one making me keep my OTA decoder.

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #471 of 16103 Old 09-05-2003, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jhachey
The only thing that bothers me is that the Comcast launch of INHD is supposed to be on September 15 and Mr. Germano's email (dated September 4) was silent as to what the stations will be and when we will get them. Everybody knows that Comcast plans to launch INHD across most of their systems on September 15, so there doesn't seem to be any reason for Mr. Germano to play coy with us unless he doesn't know when he will be ready to launch them here in Seattle.

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that, because did you also notice how he says in the email that they are still working on the channel number for KOMO? Obviously we know the channel number since it's currently airing. The previous email from him that was posted in this thread also had a similar error about PBS and the fact that he didn't know the launch date but it was already on the air at the time.

If I were a betting man, I'd say we'll get the two INHD channels on the 15th along with the rest of the upgraded Comcast markets around the country.

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #472 of 16103 Old 09-07-2003, 05:56 PM

I've got Comcast coming out in a couple of days to do my 'install' for HD. Amazingly, I had a relatively easy time convincing the rep on the phone that all I wanted was the locals in HD (PBS and KOMO) and that I didn't need digital cable to accomplish this. They were initially hostile, but I mentioned that all I require is Basic cable and that I didn't want SHOHD or HBOHD (get these through Dish already). They are charging me $5.10 per month for the Motorola STB, and the usual $16 'Home Theater Access' setup fee...

Was anyone able to get them to just drop off the STB and leave you alone? I have an X1 front projector and a complicated setup where my components are all in a server closet, so I can just imagine the look on their faces when they walk through the door.

Visit the Red-Meadow Theater!
post #473 of 16103 Old 09-07-2003, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

My stuff isn't in a closet, but I also have an X1 projector. When I had the guy come out he pretty much let me handle it. I tried to have as much possible already hooked up so that he got the idea that I already had it planned out. He was probably gone in 10 minutes. I think the main thing they are concerned about is that they want someone there to see that it works. Even if the guy knows his stuff I wouldn't expect him to see my setup and know what was going where.

-Rob
post #474 of 16103 Old 09-07-2003, 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by CoolCanuck
I've got Comcast coming out in a couple of days to do my 'install' for HD. Amazingly, I had a relatively easy time convincing the rep on the phone that all I wanted was the locals in HD (PBS and KOMO) and that I didn't need digital cable to accomplish this. They were initially hostile, but I mentioned that all I require is Basic cable and that I didn't want SHOHD or HBOHD (get these through Dish already). They are charging me $5.10 per month for the Motorola STB, and the usual $16 'Home Theater Access' setup fee...

So you are getting real analog cable plus HDTV? That's interesting, since I've always thought analog cable looks better than the digital cable picture, and from what I've read the digital cable picture quality on the 5100 sucks even worse than the old STB's.

Did you just connect the cable in series from the wall to your analog source then the 5100?
post #475 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by CoolCanuck

Was anyone able to get them to just drop off the STB and leave you alone? I have an X1 front projector and a complicated setup where my components are all in a server closet, so I can just imagine the look on their faces when they walk through the door.

That was my experience as well. I will be paying 18(ish) bucks per month for their OTA relay service.

Cheers,
Steve

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
post #476 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by analog8
from what I've read the digital cable picture quality on the 5100 sucks even worse than the old STB's.

I guess I'm the exception to the rule, but the 5100 made *all* of my channels look MUCH better. I'm thinking that this is primarily the result of going from a composite only output on the old box to s-video out on the new box (I'm only running HD channels through the component outputs), but it made a big difference that the whole family noticed right away.

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #477 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

You can have a digital box and still get the plain analog signal, you just bypass the box. Both of my cable boxes have an RF Bypass on the back that gets activated with the A/B button. If you have an RF Bypass installed all you have to do is hit that button and it will bypass the cable box and use your tv's tuner.

If the RF Bypass isn't installed then you just go to the store and pick up a cable splitter. I use a splitter so I can record something from the cable box and still watch something else on the tv. I don't do it for picture quality because the tuner in the cable box is stronger than the one in my tv.

-Rob
post #478 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Roto
... If the RF Bypass isn't installed then you just go to the store and pick up a cable splitter. I use a splitter so I can record something from the cable box and still watch something else on the tv. I don't do it for picture quality because the tuner in the cable box is stronger than the one in my tv.

When I tried to do this using a splitter, I lost my hdtv channels. Could this be due to the splitter reducing my signal strength? Maybe I will try using a RF Bypass instead.

Mark
post #479 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by markhs
When I tried to do this using a splitter, I lost my hdtv channels. Could this be due to the splitter reducing my signal strength? Maybe I will try using a RF Bypass instead.

Do you know what the bandwidth is of your splitter? I use one of those expensive 2GHz splitters that you can buy at Good Guys for my first split to the 5100. If you're using a cheap 400MHz splitter from Radio Shack, it might be stripping off the signal.
post #480 of 16103 Old 09-08-2003, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Hello Fello Seattlelites! Newbie here but an relative oldie now over on HTF.

Well I just thought I'd join in on this nice little discussion especially since I work for Comcast and like to think I'm one of the few around here. At anyrate I'm waiting on confirmation as to whether INHD will actually launch this month as soon as I hear I'll let you all know.

There are so many cool things on there way in the very near future even including the 6000 & 6200 series DCT's. I'm really happy that once Comcast took over they started fullfilling everything AT&T promised years ago and doing it as quickly as they are.

We have and still are spending ton's of money going through the entire state and upgrading all areas to be able to recieve the same services while at the same time getting HDTV content on air as well as aggressively move towards launching VOD by years end.

I'll try to keep you as informed as I can as I can get the info which unfortunately can be harder for me working here that it seems it can be for some of you as customers.

Friends dont let friends watch Pan & Scan!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page