Liked: 11
ah, ty
post #5223 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Most of my channels above 119 are out at the moment (but strangely, not all). No message, just a blank screen.

Now they seem to be intermittent. Some "once were lost, but now are found". No 173, 663, 664, or 665, but 180 has returned.

If there's a general outage, now would be a good time for a Comcast message.

(11:40AM -- everything seems to have returned.)
post #5224 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Weil
I live in Kent and have analog expanded basic with the Motorola 6200 non DVR HD box for $6.75 per month and receive 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 119, 173, and 180 in addition to 2 thru 99 and VOD. For random short periods 663, 664, and 665 also come in clear. My provider is the Comcast Auburn office. sam

Thank you very much.

I knew I had read somewhere that someone had this combination.

My sister-in-law's scenario is complicated by the fact that the condo association provides the expanded basic analog cable, so, unless someone adds services beyond that, they do not have an individual account with Comcast. The apartment building my father lives in has exactly the same arrangement.

The next challenge will be to see if the existing, 30-year-old inside wiring will pass the digital HD signals successfully or not. I have no idea how or where the cable splitting is done to feed multiple living units and two rooms within each living unit.

Anyone have HD working in an older MDU (multiple dwelling unit) environment?

Dave
post #5225 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 01:31 PM

I had two anomalies while watching Lost (recorded on the 6412) last night - however, both were of the video / audio "freeze, jump" variety rather than the silent "audio dropout only" type of problems. I wouldn't be surprised if these are due to network broadcast issues (or maybe something in the Comcast network or on the 6412 itself). The two times were at approx 22 minutes and 41 minutes into Lost.

I also had the "FF stuck" problem again after FF'ing through the last set of commercials on CSI:NY ... very irritating. It happens about once every 2-3 weeks. The usual "unplug power" reset had to be performed (I didn't want to wait for the "slow FF" to finish to the end of the show). On a side note, CSI:NY didn't have any freezes or audio dropouts.

The next KOMO show I'll be watching is Desperate Housewives on Sunday, so it will be some good data points to see if there's any problems (audio dropouts or video / audio freezes) on other shows (other channels) before then.

Cliff
post #5226 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 03:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by cliffg
I had two anomalies while watching Lost (recorded on the 6412) last night - however, both were of the video / audio "freeze, jump" variety rather than the silent "audio dropout only" type of problems. I wouldn't be surprised if these are due to network broadcast issues (or maybe something in the Comcast network or on the 6412 itself). The two times were at approx 22 minutes and 41 minutes into Lost.
Cliff

I watch via OTA, have not watched Lost yet, hope to do so in the next couple of days, will post what I find. I did however watch Alias last night and had one dropout right near the beginning, and then 2 more near the end, one on a commercial right before the show came on, and the other in the show. Don't have exact times. Could have been others during commericals but was fast forwarding over those.
post #5227 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 03:24 PM

I noticed them in "Lost" as well. There were two sets of about three or four glitches each in quick succession.
post #5228 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Cliff

Yep, I also had the audio/video glitches during "Lost" on my HR10-250 DirecTivo recording KOMO-DT. I hope the KOMO engineering team can solve these problems soon.
post #5229 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I also had the "FF stuck" problem again after FF'ing through the last set of commercials on CSI:NY ... very irritating. It happens about once every 2-3 weeks. The usual "unplug power" reset had to be performed (I didn't want to wait for the "slow FF" to finish to the end of the show). On a side note, CSI:NY didn't have any freezes or audio dropouts.

The next KOMO show I'll be watching is Desperate Housewives on Sunday, so it will be some good data points to see if there's any problems (audio dropouts or video / audio freezes) on other shows (other channels) before then.

Cliff

I saw the two picture freezes when watching live, as well. It is really difficult to tell where it is coming from. The HD programming is fed by satellite...a separate satellite feed from the analog programs. There have been interference issues on the HD feed, but that has been considerably reduced in recent weeks/months.

KOMO has a Trivini streamscope to evaluate the transport stream, but they have to catch it doing something in order to get a clue as to the problem.

Don

Don Wilkinson
Fisher Communications, Inc.
KOMO-TV, KOMO-DT
post #5230 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Don Wilkinson
I saw the two picture freezes when watching live, as well. It is really difficult to tell where it is coming from. The HD programming is fed by satellite...a separate satellite feed from the analog programs. There have been interference issues on the HD feed, but that has been considerably reduced in recent weeks/months.

I didn't notice any picture freezes, but I lost audio for 3 or 4 seconds at one point during LOST last night. It wasn't lenghty enough to flip up/down a channel. If it helps you, Don, my SIR-T151 is upgraded to the Broadcast Flag compatible firmware. (I can't find a way to view the actual version number.)

Also, I neglected to mention yesterday, that I haven't seen these problems on my WinTV-D card.
post #5231 of 16078 Old 05-19-2005, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by pastiche
I didn't notice any picture freezes, but I lost audio for 3 or 4 seconds at one point during LOST last night. It wasn't lenghty enough to flip up/down a channel. If it helps you, Don, my SIR-T151 is upgraded to the Broadcast Flag compatible firmware. (I can't find a way to view the actual version number.)

Also, I neglected to mention yesterday, that I haven't seen these problems on my WinTV-D card.

I don't see it on my HiPix card either. However, the HiPix tends to drift out of lip-sync over a long period of time. It come right back in if I tune away then right back to 4-1.

Strange.

Early on there was one evening where the HiPix had no audio and the T160 had normal sound.

The guys are continuing to refine the HD video path. They recently installed a new rack of ABC satellite receiving equipment.

It is an extremely complicated process when you mix local digital HDTV and network HDTV with embedded DD5.1 though routing and production switchers. It would be a lot simpler to patch the HD right through to the transmitter. I am always amazed that it works as well as it does.

Don

Don Wilkinson
Fisher Communications, Inc.
KOMO-TV, KOMO-DT
post #5232 of 16078 Old 05-20-2005, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Don Wilkinson
It is an extremely complicated process when you mix local digital HDTV and network HDTV with embedded DD5.1 though routing and production switchers. It would be a lot simpler to patch the HD right through to the transmitter. I am always amazed that it works as well as it does.

I can't even begin to imagine just how complicated. But thanks for the effort you put into it and the equal effort you put into helping us get the most out of it.
post #5233 of 16078 Old 05-22-2005, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I just set up my sister-in-law's Samsung SIR-T451 QAM STB (HD tuner). Interesting that the outer box specifies QAM but the owner's manual says ATSC/8VSB only, no cable support.

The bad news: We got several HD locals okay, after adding 10 db of gain right out of the wall (offset partially by about 7 db in a 1:4 splitter). Before that most were pixelating heavily. So she gets KOMO-DT, KING-DT, KONG-DT, KCTS-DT (all 4 sub channels), KCPQ-DT, KTWB-DT all fine. KIRO-DT barely comes in, flashing on, pixelating, flashing off, and so on. Tried attenuating, to no avail, just goes away completely.

The good news?: I saw digital versions of many of the Comcast analog channels, including main locals, and other known analog cable channels. About 30 or so channels in all. BUT, they appeared heavily compressed and had motion and heavy picture change artifacts, looking much like an SA TiVo recording at Basic quality. I would say they have some adjusting to do to bring these up to snuff. Compared to SD local channels I receive from DirecTV, the Comcast digitized locals were pretty bad. Here's hoping they will continue to tweak and improve them. I left the list of channels numbers (for the digitized analogs) behind, but I think they were mostly in the low 70's, with ten subchannels for each main channel number.

I guess we get to call Comcast out to see if they can get a usable signal delivered to the condo.

Dave
post #5234 of 16078 Old 05-23-2005, 01:06 PM

Budget_HT
Check your reception again as on Saturday, there was a lot of pixelation that went away on Sunday. They randomly have bad reception and one day doesn't count. sam
post #5235 of 16078 Old 05-23-2005, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weil View Post

Budget_HT
Check your reception again as on Saturday, there was a lot of pixelation that went away on Sunday. They randomly have bad reception and one day doesn't count. sam

Sam,

Thanks for the info. Actually, I did not get the HD tuner until Sunday morning, so everything digital I saw was on Sunday. But, I will have her check again tonight.

Dave
post #5236 of 16078 Old 05-24-2005, 11:08 PM

I'm curious how much everyone here that has a second DVR is paying for it. I was quoted a price from a Comcast rep, but I'd like to find out if there are different rates.

Thanks!
post #5237 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumertalks View Post

I'm curious how much everyone here that has a second DVR is paying for it. I was quoted a price from a Comcast rep, but I'd like to find out if there are different rates.

Thanks!

i believe its additional 14.99 .... 10 for HD receiver and 5 for the DVR service ... at least that how they nickel and dime you in the explanation.
post #5238 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 10:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffg View Post

Cliff

Little late, but finally got around to watching last week's Lost that I recorded to my Dish DVR 942 via OTA and I had the same issues at the same time. Just throwing it out there for tracking. Those were the only 2 times I had issues.
post #5239 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_e_l View Post

i believe its additional 14.99 .... 10 for HD receiver and 5 for the DVR service ... at least that how they nickel and dime you in the explanation.

Their prices are easy to understand:
$5 extra for any extra box
+ $5 for an advanced box (aka HD)
+ $5 for the PVR service (per box)

That's why it would cost you an extra $5 for a standard receiver, $10 for a 6200 and $15 for a 6412.

-eric
post #5240 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I was quoted $15.95 and I wanted to make sure that was the rate everyone got, it did seem high. I guess the other rental fee is built into the plan fee.

post #5241 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 PM

I've been wondering myself - my sat dish trade-in discount just quit, and my Comcast bill is now almost $150 ... time to take a look at what I'm paying for and what I can get rid of.

I have a line item charge for "DVR Service", $9.95, and "DVR Additional Outlet", $15.05. Everything else is "Silver Package", which I'll probably change, Basic Cable (Limited and Expanded), Hi Speed Internet, a measly $1.61 service discount (which I assume is for having both TV and Internet), and various taxes.

$25 for two 6412 boxes seems a little high, but maybe it's in line and reasonable with everything else ....

Cliff
post #5242 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 01:32 PM

Quote:

I've been wondering myself - my sat dish trade-in discount just quit, and my Comcast bill is now almost $150 ... time to take a look at what I'm paying for and what I can get rid of.

Wow, that's about as high as it goes. It's $99.95 for everything, and $42.95 for HSI ($45.95 if you rent the modem, I do), so that's $145.90. Taxes would take it just over $150, so if you don't have the full package, I'd look into it!
post #5243 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 01:37 PM

Quote:

[snip] a measly $1.61 service discount (which I assume is for having both TV and Internet), and various taxes.
[snip]
Cliff

The multi-product discount for HSI and TV is $10/month. The discount should show up as a line item on the High Speed Internet (mine is $42.95/mo because I own my own cable modem, I think the price w/ modem rental is $45.95/mo)
post #5244 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 07:26 PM

I just finished watching the American Experience program about the Patty Hearst kidnapping on KCTS-HD, and was surprised to hear a large number of audible "pops" throughout the program. Anyone else hear this? Was this replicated OTA, or was this just Comcast?
post #5245 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 09:34 PM

Didn't experience it with that channel but tonight on Lost channel 104 was horrible. The video actually froze at about 17 minutes into the show and then the audio began dropping until I had to change the channel to 4. I am very unhappy with the reception that I have been receiving ever since swithching to Comcast. I was contacted by a Comcast supervisor and I told him about the problems. He has called and left a message checking up on the status of the signal and I returned his call leaving a message int he process. No resolution as of yet. I'[m afraid I will have to go back to Directv. I have the supervisor's phone number if anyone wants it.
post #5246 of 16078 Old 05-25-2005, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior34 View Post

Didn't experience it with that channel but tonight on Lost channel 104 was horrible. The video actually froze at about 17 minutes into the show and then the audio began dropping until I had to change the channel to 4. I am very unhappy with the reception that I have been receiving ever since swithching to Comcast. I was contacted by a Comcast supervisor and I told him about the problems. He has called and left a message checking up on the status of the signal and I returned his call leaving a message int he process. No resolution as of yet. I'[m afraid I will have to go back to Directv. I have the supervisor's phone number if anyone wants it.

It wasn't just Comcast .... I had similar problems with video freezes and audio cutouts during "Lost" with HR10-250 HD DirecTivo and over-the-air KOMO-DT. I wish KOMO could solve their continuing network issues.
post #5247 of 16078 Old 05-26-2005, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by litzdog911 View Post

It wasn't just Comcast .... I had similar problems with video freezes and audio cutouts during "Lost" with HR10-250 HD DirecTivo and over-the-air KOMO-DT. I wish KOMO could solve their continuing network issues.

I agree. I watch HD programming on many stations and KOMO has consistently been the worst with audio/video jumps/drops on almost every single episode of Lost this season, in addition to some other shows I watch. I do appreciate that the KOMO engineers are working on the problem, but taking over six months to solve a problem that other stations don't seem to have is horribly irresponsible for a major TV station. To have such errors (and even worse ones at that) during the season finale time-frame is simply inexcusable. As a result, I actually have begun taping several of the ABC shows I like on a VCR as well as my DCT-6412 so I can catch the audio I missed during the HD shows. If KOMO can't reliably broadcast in HD, they should stop doing so and simply simulcast digital versions of shows on the HD channel. This would be more enjoyable to me than worrying about which piece of critical dialog I'll miss each time I watch an episode of Lost.
post #5248 of 16078 Old 05-26-2005, 12:41 AM

Good to know that the OTA people have the same problem, no offense. I will tell the Comcast supervisor when I talk to him again. Thanks Much
post #5249 of 16078 Old 05-26-2005, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayX View Post

IIf KOMO can't reliably broadcast in HD, they should stop doing so and simply simulcast digital versions of shows on the HD channel. .

I certainly hope they don't take this advice. I don't watch lost, but the few shows I watch on KOMO have been much better, if not perfect, of late. But forcing people to watch SD is a really bad idea.
post #5250 of 16078 Old 05-26-2005, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelee View Post

I just finished watching the American Experience program about the Patty Hearst kidnapping on KCTS-HD, and was surprised to hear a large number of audible "pops" throughout the program. Anyone else hear this? Was this replicated OTA, or was this just Comcast?

I noticed that yesterday on several programs recorded from 108. The pops sounded like static on a poor AM radio transmission.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page