Seattle, WA - Comcast - Page 19 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #541 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Al Shing
"-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, May 12, 2003 11:18 AM
To: Receptionist, Tnw; Hachey, Joe
Cc: Woon, Teresa
Subject: RE: WB22 HDTV

Joe,

Comcast, formerly AT &T can start carrying our HDTV anytime they wish. We have had discussions w/them about fiber connectivity, they may elect to run a fiber connection to our studio or simply just pull our HDTV signals off air, you know the old saying, if you build it they will come, well we built it, now the ball is in the cable and satellites companies ballparks to get the signal and put it on their systems, the truth is they do not have the required bandwidth to make good HDTV without re-compressing the signal and further degrading it, so really when they figure out a way to either drop some channels to make room for broadcast HDTV or they invent a new HDTV compression/coding scheme that allows the cable and satellite companies to rebroadcast our HD without making a mess out of it will be the day you start to see us on local cable in HD.

Appreciate your interest.

Michael Z. Goodman
Director of Engineering Tribune Television Northwest
1813 Westlake Ave. North
Seattle, WA 98109"

I think we've discussed this before. The statement from this guy is blatantly false on several counts:

1. Comcast obviously has the bandwidth - this hasn't stopped them from adding KOMO-HD, KCTS-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.

2. FOX digital isn't HD in the first place. It's 480p, not high-definition. Don't make us laugh by talking about "good quality HDTV".

3. Comcast, so far anyway, is not re-compressing anyone's HD signals. They are simply re-modulating the original bitstream onto their QAM-256 transport. No new magical compression scheme is required.

Whatever the real reasons for Comcast not carrying FOX digital, it's NOT any of the lame excuses this guy is spewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Isn't that just a form letter that FOX affilliates are sending out? I swear I've seen that letter on these forums from various locations, one even from a receptionist...off to do a search "the ball is in their court"

Edit, well I guess it was all in this thread. There are letters nearly identical to that all from channels 13 and 22.

-Rob
post #543 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jimre
1. Comcast obviously has the bandwidth - this hasn't stopped them from adding KOMO-HD, KCTS-HD, ESPN-HD, etc.

If they are having to remove PPV channels in order to add INHD and INHD2, it seems like there is a bandwidth issue of some kind.
post #544 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Comcast's bandwdith is finite, certainly. Existing channels may have to be dropped or shuffled to add ANY new channel (HD or otherwise) to their lineup. But there's no question Comcast could easily add KCPQ and KTWB digital if there was demand. Perhaps the real problem is few Comcast subscribers care about those channels. Apparently we all prefer to see more shopping and religious channels :-)
post #545 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I guess nobody wants to see the Seahawks or other NFC games in Fox Widescreen this year. Certainly nobody wants to see Smallville or Gilmore Girls in HD.
post #546 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Apparently we all prefer to see more shopping and religious channels :-)

Well will now bow our heads in a moment of silent reflection for the special value of the day being sold out....

Capre orbis Terrarum
post #547 of 16120 Old 09-11-2003, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Comcast's bandwdith is finite, certainly. Existing channels may have to be dropped or shuffled to add ANY new channel (HD or otherwise) to their lineup. But there's no question Comcast could easily add KCPQ and KTWB digital if there was demand. Perhaps the real problem is few Comcast subscribers care about those channels. Apparently we all prefer to see more shopping and religious channels :-)

Their badwidth is finite, but I think they need to do a serious audit of what they carry. IMHO there is a lot of junk up there.

When people SEE HD they get it. People are happy with plain old low bitrate cable or poor analog video becuase they don't know better. They don't know that better than DVD quality is possible for some stuff and close to DVD quality is possible for most of it. They accept a crappy picture because that's what they expect.

I belive one day folks will get it. It'll just take time. Untill then the early adopter kool-aid drinkers like us need to keep pusing them to up the quality bar.
post #548 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

What is the proper person or department to complain to or request from about what channels are carried? When I call a CSR to check HDTV locals availability, and decline to sign up for Comcast's service because those locals are not available, does this data get entered for review, or does it just disappear into the void? Between all the crap channels (that I suspect might be paying to be carried) and lack of HD content, I'd like to be able to express my opinion to someone who cares about the data, even if my data point is just compiled into a pile with a million other opinions.

--Mike
post #549 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry for me not having read the whole thread and may be asking the obvious. A friend of mine is having standard cable from Comcast, he has a dandy set but never heard of HDTV programming. I wonder if she can rent the HDTV converter for those non-PPV HDTV channels? What is the cost? Any programming cost? Will Comcast eventually provide all local channels in HDTV? Thanks.
post #550 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Llamas: Unfortunately without an account there is no way for the rep to note your discontent, but I can tell you most reps like I do pass info along as to high request amounts for things.

Unfortunately this is how the Catholics & Mormons and Little Grandma's who like QVC also get there channels on the air.

As a cable company you have to even things out to please everyone you cant just cater to one group of people we have to cater to everyone and offer a variety of programming choice due to that.

I'm not trying to be a badguy here but look at it this way to, believe it or not even the shopping channels have HDTV feeds OTA so be careful what you ask for As for the rest of the locals I have gotten it on good authority that most except for CBS due to there own little temper tantrums in negotiations will be online within the next 2 months ie. KING, KONG, KCPQ, KTWB, & KSTW.

So in short I know you've all been waiting awhile for these but the wait is coming to a close.

Tuquet: Your friend could get HD with standard cable. They'd be looking at $5.10 for the box per month addtl on there bill and a 1 time $15.99 fee to have the box brought out.

This will only get them KOMO, KCTS, and ESPN. To get the INHD1&2 coming out 10/1 they would need to upgrade to the digital classic teir which would be an addtl 5.99 a month and include the box fee so in reality only end up being .89 more than just renting the box and this will also add roughly 15 digital channels, PPV access, and the Music Choice service. Clearly the better deal.

Jeremy

Friends dont let friends watch Pan & Scan!
post #551 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 03:52 PM
BJM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jhachey
I'm also disappointed with the apparent lack of progress with KIRO. CBS seems to have the highest percentage of HD during prime time, so KIRO is a big gap in our coverage. An absent KIRO will be particularly painful when the Super Bowl is broadcast on CBS in January.

Are you sure about this jhachey? I thought that the Superbowl was going to be on ABC since Monday Night Football is. With talk of InHD1 & 2 coming Oct. 1, VOD soon, 6200 and 6208 soon, and most of the other locals (except KIRO) by end of year I was just about to pull the trigger on going with Comcast rather than OTA but no Superbowl in HD would be a serious bummer as I've already told friends and co-workers to get ready to watch it on my 9' wide screen.

I've never paid any attention to what channel the Superbowl has been on in the past. The closest thing an Internet search provided was this site that says ABC has broadcast the Superbowl for the last 6 years. I could also not find anything about it on either the ABC or CBS site.

Could you let us know where your getting your info for the Superbowl being on CBS this year? A link would be appreciated. Any chance that ESPN will have it too in HD since Comcast has that or maybe even InHD?

This really bites. Thanks a lot KIRO

Brent

...... There is no spoon
post #552 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

I believe that the Superbowl will be on FOX this year....I'm pretty sure that it rotates from FOX & ABC each year. But I could be wrong....I know that FOX was hoping to get their true HD feed up before then. I could be wrong though....

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #553 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeremyfr. As for Super Bowl, I think they will resolve all issues by then, not to worry about who is going to show it.
post #554 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by tuquet
Thanks Jeremyfr. As for Super Bowl, I think they will resolve all issues by then, not to worry about who is going to show it.

I hope you are right. A lot of people were feeling the same way a year ago this time, and progress has been VERY slow.

Dave
post #555 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

As for KIRO I think and before I say this yes I know there are many areas/cable companies including ours that carry CBS HD, but honestly I think alot of this had to do with CBS's big agreement recently with Direct TV for carriage of there feed.

I think CBS is really trying to play hardball now that they as well as others realize the profitability of HDTV. I think the markets/companys that already have them had easier times getting them as it was still early in the game people were unsure and it was in a very early state of infancy.

But these are all just my thoughts as I'm obviously not high enough up the food chain to be sitting at the negotiation table between Cox (not cable)/CBS/Comcast for carriage of the HD feed from KIRO in our market.

post #556 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by BJM:
Could you let us know where your getting your info for the Superbowl being on CBS this year? A link would be appreciated. Any chance that ESPN will have it too in HD since Comcast has that or maybe even InHD?

Check out:

http://ww2.nfl.com/tvradio/cbs.html

Quote:

Highlighted by Super Bowl XXXVIII on Feb. 1, 2004 from Houston, the CBS Television Network announces its 2003 NFL broadcast schedule.

The CBS Television Network will broadcast a total of 111 games during its 17 weeks of regular-season coverage of the NFL's American Football Conference. The regular season schedule is followed by a full postseason slate including an AFC Wild Card playoff game on Jan. 4, 2004, two divisional playoff games on Jan. 10 and 11, the AFC Championship game on Jan. 18 and Super Bowl XXXVIII on Feb. 1. CBS Sports' coverage of Super Bowl XXXVIII marks the 15th time the Network has broadcast the Super Bowl with the last being 2001 when the Baltimore Ravens defeated the New York Giants in Tampa, Fla.

post #557 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:33 PM
BJM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremyfr
As for the rest of the locals I have gotten it on good authority that most except for CBS due to there own little temper tantrums in negotiations will be online within the next 2 months ie. KING, KONG, KCPQ, KTWB, & KSTW.

So in short I know you've all been waiting awhile for these but the wait is coming to a close.

Tuquet: Your friend could get HD with standard cable. They'd be looking at $5.10 for the box per month addtl on there bill and a 1 time $15.99 fee to have the box brought out.

This will only get them KOMO, KCTS, and ESPN. To get the INHD1&2 coming out 10/1 they would need to upgrade to the digital classic teir which would be an addtl 5.99 a month and include the box fee so in reality only end up being .89 more than just renting the box and this will also add roughly 15 digital channels, PPV access, and the Music Choice service. Clearly the better deal.

Jeremy

Jeremy, Awesome news about the locals! Your presence in this thread has been invaluable. I haven't posted in this thread much but have followed it since its beginning.

Comcast's web site lists digital classic as $11.99/month not $5.99/month. If that includes the $5.10 box fee then that's $6.89 more than just getting the box for the locals, not $.89. Which is it?

Also if you're just getting the box for $5.10 for the locals and not getting the digital package is it still the Moto5100? There's a post a ways back in this thread where somebody said if you do get the box only for the locals it's another box than the 5100. Enlighten us?

Thanks,
Brent

...... There is no spoon
post #558 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:38 PM
BJM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jhachey
Check out:

http://ww2.nfl.com/tvradio/cbs.html

Thanks man. That really does bite though for Comcast and their users.

Brent

...... There is no spoon
post #559 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

BJM thanks for pointing that out I apologize it is 11.99 for digital classic on top of standard cable. And yes the box is included but you HAVE!! to ask for HDTV access we dont just give out 5100's on every install you have to say I have an HDTV and I want an HDTV box otherwise yes they will bring out a regular off the shelf Moto DCT2000.

I hope this clears things up and sorry I screwed up on the pricing I work Help Desk not Sales

post #560 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:44 PM
BJM
Advanced Member

Thanks Jeremy.

Brent

...... There is no spoon
post #561 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 04:57 PM

Does the Digital Classic tier also get you the M's games on Fox?
post #562 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Advanced Member

The M's games on 100 are available with Standard Cable and HDTV box no digital buythrough required.

post #563 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The M's games on 100 are available with Standard Cable and HDTV box no digital buythrough required.

That's not what I was told when called to ask (CSR). I was told to get Mariners you had to subscribe to a digital package, and that you could NOT get Mariners with just Basic cable and the rented HDTV box.

Dave
post #564 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Then he was mistaken you have to only have Standard which includes FSNW and inturn if you have a 5100 access to the M's games on 100 its a non encrypted channel so you just have to have the DCT to get it.

post #565 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Theres a difference between Basic and Standard, Basic gives you locals with discovery and Public Interest/education channels nothing like espn, fsnw etc so no you couldn't get the Mariners with Basic but with Standard which is all the analog channels then yes you can get the M's in HD with it.

Jeremy

post #566 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Theres a difference between Basic and Standard, Basic gives you locals with discovery and Public Interest/education channels nothing like espn, fsnw etc so no you couldn't get the Mariners with Basic but with Standard which is all the analog channels then yes you can get the M's in HD with it.

Jeremy

Thank you for the clarification.

Dave
post #567 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I just want to throw out a thanks to Jeremy for putting up with all our bellyaching and getting us the inside dope /wrt Comcast.
post #568 of 16120 Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks guys I'm glad I can be of such help, hopefully I can help change your minds about us and the people that work here

post #569 of 16120 Old 09-13-2003, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Without wading through 28 pages (!) of posts, what is the current and near future list of HD channels available?

I am about to buy a HDTV tube (Sony or Tosh) and I need as much data as possible to "sell" this to the wife.

If the industry REALLY wanted to increase the sale of HD sets, equiopment and services then they need target the right audience: THE WIFE. With that in mind, their priority should be getting QVC, Lifetime, E! and the Style Network on HD (not even sure if many of them are broadcasting their signals in HD, but I think you get my point.) If I could show my wife the crisp clarity of that CZ diamond on QVC, or the EXACT color and texture of Jennifer Aniston's hair on E! she would be on board in a SECOND.

She could care less about seeing the sweat on the brow of Edgar Martinez.

Just a thought.
post #570 of 16120 Old 09-13-2003, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Ok heres the Current List Through Comcast

Chl 100 - Mariners HDTV - 1080i
Chl 104 - KOMO HD - 720p but the box will upconvert to 1080i - 24 hours
Chl 108 - KCTS HD - 1080i - 5pm - 12am
Chl 109 - KCTS Digital Simulcast - 480p - 24hours
Chl 110 - KCTS Kids Digital - 480p - 12am - 5pm
Chl 112 - KCTS Learns Digital - 480p - 12am - 5pm
Chl 173 - ESPN HD - 1080i - 24hours
Chl 549 - HBO HD - 1080i - 24hours
Chl 574 - Showtime HD - 1080i - 24hours
Chl 664 - INHD 1 - 1080i - 24hours - coming 10/1
Chl 665 - INHD 2 - 1080i - 24hours - coming 10/1

Channels planned to be online in the next few months
Contracts are done with most just waiting on launch dates.

KING HD - NBC
KONG HD - Independent
KSTW HD - UPN
KCPQ HD - FOX
KTWB HD - Warner Bros Television

Ongoing negotiations
KIRO/CBS
Discovery HD
STARZ HD when they decide launch date
HDNET - unsure of this one but I do believe we are working on it unless its a dish only thing like INHD is a cable only thing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page