Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #631 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thats a nice little website will have to add it to my favorites, when I was visiting HDnets website yesterday it seems they repeat the same program over and over I'll be it different subject in each episode but still it seems they kind of lack a variety of content compared to INHD.

Jeremy

Friends dont let friends watch Pan & Scan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 05:35 PM

When will we be getting the latest Software & Firmware Updates:

S/W Ver: 51.20 - 1040
Firmware: 08 (02.50)

Will these updates address the picture quality issues?
post #633 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

good question to my knowledge its already on the box's hence the addition of the 4:3 override fuction in the system menu.

post #634 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 06:13 PM

Nope, my DCT5100 isn't up-to-date

Software Ver: 50.00 - 1078
Firmware: 08 (2.48)

I live in the Kent/SEATAC area.
post #635 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

I'll check mine tonight to make sure and if thats the case then I'll see what I can do, where do you live??

also looking at miatasm's site about the 5100 the version numbers can differ from area to area and still be the same firmware/software.

if you press power and then the menu button do you have 4:3 override listed if so you have the newest software.

post #636 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by brvheart
I've been watching InHD down here in the Bay Area for about a week, and believe me, you won't be dissapointed.

I just looked at the lineup ofr InHD and was wodnering: you have to pay per day or per show for this stuff? Sure, it's HD but BFD, looking at the schedule I don't see anything I'd pay a premium for. I expected to see a-list films in HD but all I see is waht appears to be a wattered down mutated offspring of DiscoveryHD and HDNet.
post #637 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I just looked at the lineup ofr InHD and was wodnering: you have to pay per day or per show for this stuff? Sure, it's HD but BFD, looking at the schedule I don't see anything I'd pay a premium for. I expected to see a-list films in HD but all I see is waht appears to be a wattered down mutated offspring of DiscoveryHD and HDNet.

These are NOT PPV channels but linear cable channels available to anyone who has the digital classic and above cable packages there is no extra charge for these channels.

post #638 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 10:38 PM

Hooray! More KOMO ABC-HD with audio sync issues tonight during the airing of Lethal Weapon!

Regardless of whether this is a Comcast or KOMO problem (or some combination) you would think that Comcast would be aware of the problem and get this resolved for their customers...Don't know about everyone else, but I find this channel unwatchable in its current state which is a shame given how good the PQ can be.

Visit the Red-Meadow Theater!
post #639 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

How can Comcast fix a problem that is resulting from ABC???? We have no control over them, there satellite that gives there feed to KOMO or anything else that has to do with it. All we have control of is making sure that the signal is on from KOMO to the customer, any other issues farther up the line we cannot do anything about. I understand the frustration I'm quite sick of this problem myself but unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it.

post #640 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 11:41 PM

So what you are saying Jeremy, is that Comcast does not really care if the channels they are charging customers for are watchable or not? Just that there is a signal being retransmitted. (Note that I am not talking about the quality of the content of the channels).

>>How can Comcast fix a problem that is resulting from ABC????
They can't necessarily, but if this is a KOMO-DT problem (not ABC proper), then you would think that some intelligent Seattle area Comcast employee could pick up a phone and talk to the people over at KOMO and at least apply some pressure to have them fix it.

Or everyone can just point fingers at everyone else....
It's called being proactive. I've already sent my email to KOMO about the problem. What has Comcast done?

Visit the Red-Meadow Theater!
post #641 of 16093 Old 09-21-2003, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremyfr
How can Comcast fix a problem that is resulting from ABC???? We have no control over them, there satellite that gives there feed to KOMO or anything else that has to do with it. All we have control of is making sure that the signal is on from KOMO to the customer, any other issues farther up the line we cannot do anything about. I understand the frustration I'm quite sick of this problem myself but unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it.

It all depends on what you guys are doing with the signal. Ar eyou only remodulating it? Then it cannot be your fault at all, other than perhaps a problem with the DCT.

If you're remuxing it to didle the psip tables or something then it could very well be an issue at the comcast headend. Who knows?

But, since I've been reading about this issue from OTA viewers ever since ABC started HD feeds I'm willing to bet this is a problem at the point of origin.
post #642 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 12:04 AM
Advanced Member

Yes Comcast only modulates the channel......it was a problem here in Philly and it took many e-mails from end users, and I am positive Comcast was involved in talking with the Broadcasters in getting the problems resolved but it didn't happen overnight. I think it was an ongoing problem for at least a couple of months on & off.

CoolCanuck,

This will not happen overnight....I don't think Jeremy was poining fingers he was just merely stating that from his position that the problem was not being caused by Comcast so your efforts should be focused on the source of the problem, not the middleman (Comcast).

I'm assuming your last question was sarcastic, because I don't think that you honestly believe that Jeremy will be able to answer it. So I will redirect, What hasn't Comcast Done? They brought you the channel, they are not charging you for it (over the price of regular digital), and you, me & Jeremy have no idea who @ Comcast is talking to KOMO about the situation...

Sure Comcast can put pressure on KOMO to fix it, but the point is you don't know if they haven't already? You did what you could, sent an e-mail to KOMO.

I suggest that the rest of the users do the same. Please post KOMO's e-mail address, CoolCanuck....

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #643 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 12:21 AM
Advanced Member

I'm sorry I know I must have come accross wrong in my response and I apologize but theres only so much I can do I'm a CSR a very knowledgeable CSR I'd like to think but nothing more. I'm not an area V.P. or anything like that. I am quite sure that we have approached KOMO regarding this issue and they have as I'm sure told everyone else thats questioned the issue told us they are working on it. They know the problem is there its there ballgame to fix it. It's not like Comcast can go hey fix your stuff or we're pulling your feed's! Comcast is very big yes, and we have alot of influence yes again but.....there once again is only so much we can do.

If anyone would like to email KOMO regarding this you can do so at Tips@KOMO4NEWS.com

Also Miatasm thanks for your help and great info you also put in its too bad you live in Philly I'd love to have coffee with ya one night and shoot the sh**.

post #644 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 12:26 AM

Quote:

if you press power and then the menu button do you have 4:3 override listed if so you have the newest software.

The 4:3 override has been there at least since June.
post #645 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 02:43 AM
Advanced Member

I checked my box tonight shows 50.00 1070 and firmware 08 or 2.5 which seems to be consistent with what miatasm has on his site except for he shows latest in Philly to be 51.20 but the other firmware numbers match. So it may be numbered differently here in the Seattle region.

post #646 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Miatasm: when did you guys get your last software update in Philly on the 5100's?? Our's was around 4-5 months ago does this corespond with yours?

post #647 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 09:38 AM

Thought Comcast subscribers in Kitsap would be interested in a tidbit I got from a service call over the weekend. My 5100 was not tuning to HDTV, specifically HBO HD and ESPN HD. A signal sent to the box fixed that problem, but get this: SHO, HBO, and ESPN are the ONLY HD channels we will be able to get until Comcast runs a new fiber optic cable across the sound. Until then we are an island, and very little of the Seattle Comcast info applies to us.

The tech said the permits were in place, but there was only a small window during the year when the work could actually be done. He (of course) didn't know when it would be done.

I'm feeling 'bait and switched' right now, since I was told when I signed up that PBS was already online, KOMO in the next week, and the other locals by start of new season. Seems to have been untrue.

Jeremyfr, do you have contacts who can let us know when the fiber will be installed? If a short time, I may wait. If longer, or undetermined, is there a way to back out of the deal? I was very specific about my interest in HD content.
post #648 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 12:39 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry I know I must have come accross wrong in my response and I apologize but theres only so much I can do I'm a CSR a very knowledgeable CSR I'd like to think but nothing more. I'm not an area V.P. or anything like that.

Jeremy,

I'd like to offer a bit of friendly but free advice, so take it for what's it worth. I also sincerely hope that this doesn't come across the wrong way, so I apologize in advance if it does or if it does not apply in this case.

Does Comcast know you are posting in these forums and that you are letting people know you work for the company in your posts? The reason I'm asking is that most (if not all) large corporations have a policy that says basically you are prohibited from "communicating in a public forum about (your employer's) business operations, products or services unless expressly authorized to do so." This is why you always see the same people in the news media representing a company in regards to any statements or releases of information (I believe Steve Kipp is the Comcast media rep). The reason companies do this is to keep any potential (and usually unintentional) liabilities from occurring due to the wrong information being said in a public forum (and without company knowledge), and which is implied that the company endorses it due to it originating from a company employee.

While I know we all appreciate your information and efforts, I'm hoping that you are not inadvertently jeopardizing your job in any way. Perhaps Comcast is different in their policies, but I just thought I'd try to point this out in a friendly manner before things could potentially get ugly. All of these factors contribute to why we may have never seen a Comcast employee posting in this thread in the past.

If you discover you are indeed prohibited from posting here, I'm sure we would all understand why, and would respect you not wanting to lose your job, despite wanting to assist us as well as you are trying to do.

Hope this may help,

Dan

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #649 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 12:49 PM

Jeremy--

Regarding Dan's post above--I've actually thought the same thing. I have a few friends that work for Xbox, and I know that they are not permitted to post, even when they see things posted that are blatantly false and they can directly refute. Just check up on it, and be safe.

Having said that, I know that I've taken some shots at Comcast, and that the aggravation level is pretty high here, but be aware that your help is genuinely appreciated. What you're doing here is very cool, and I hope you can keep it up.

Thanks, man.

Andy

Xbox Live Gamertag: Anderpants
post #650 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Andy & Dan: Thank you both for your concern, with Comcast they care about "propietary" information i.e. what is not and does not need to be known publicly. The information that I choose to divulge is not what is considered "propietary" Most of the stuff I've said or talked about has been released by Comcast in other forms i.e. advertisements etc. The rest is the same info I'd be able to tell you if you had called in and I took your call.

My supervisor and many other people I work with know I'm a "hometheater nut" and most in the office call me the "HDTV God" and they are fully aware I post on this and HTF.

Trust me it may not seem like I do so but I try to be very careful in what I post and I am one person who try's to make sure that he has the most accurate information regarding things. I'm wrong sometimes but who isnt?? hehe and when I am I admit it and move on.

Once again I appreciate your concern and I'm glad I've been able to help you all out and if big IF it becomes a concern with my employment I will cease to post but as a regular person.

Dr Benson: I have not heard anything about that but I can definately speak with some people in my office regarding the lineup in Kitsap and find out what they say.

Jeremy

post #651 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

It would figure that the home theater nut at the cable company works on the Internet services side.

-Rob
post #652 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 02:52 PM

Jeremy,

I'm glad that you've discussed things with your supervisor regarding the posts. Once again a small tidbit of free advice, just make sure that you aren't signing anything (such as an acknowledgement form to adhere to company policies) that may directly contradict what your supervisor is advising you that they *think* is correct. Speaking from past personal experience working in a large corporation, it is the written company policy (as you usually have to sign to acknowledge to uphold on an annual basis) that will most likely hold up in any potential conflicts/disputes, despite what you may have been directed to do by a supervisor, unfortunately. As Andy stated, you may want to double check just to be safe. A simple misunderstanding is not worth your job IMHO.

Hopefully I'm wrong in this case, but I'd be really surprised if a company the size of Comcast has a policy that is much different than what's been outlined. Many times, what seems to be a trivial issue is not taken so lightly by the powers that be.

I'll move on to other topics from here on out. Sorry if I've been a bit of a downer in these last two posts, but I would just hate to have you post that you are no longer with Comcast due to something as simple as trying to help us all out.

Dan

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #653 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It would figure that the home theater nut at the cable company works on the Internet services side.

hehe I was a "computer geek" long before I became a "hometheater nut" and have years upon years of computer experience including 3 years as a network administrator for a local school district while I was in High School.

post #654 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Well I spoke to a friend today who has DVI and one of our HD box's, he told me upon hooking it up through DVI he was able to get a picture but not an HDTV signal so in some way the DVI out is working, now I'm wondering if it may be a conflict in DVI standards that hes able to get pic but not HDTV.

Reading Miatasm's Site on the 5100 (great job by the way) I see that it is a DVI-D out and I've noticed there are several standards for DVI do most HDTV's accept a DVI-D input.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance in this question DVI is something I really haven't delven into yet or done alot of research on. hehe I never claimed to know everything.

post #655 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Well I spoke to a friend today who has DVI and one of our HD box's, he told me upon hooking it up through DVI he was able to get a picture but not an HDTV signal so in some way the DVI out is working, now I'm wondering if it may be a conflict in DVI standards that hes able to get pic but not HDTV.

Reading Miatasm's Site on the 5100 (great job by the way) I see that it is a DVI-D out and I've noticed there are several standards for DVI do most HDTV's accept a DVI-D input.

I have a Samsung DLP TV, with DVI input. But I couldn't find what DVD standard it meets; nor could I find what standard my DVI DVD player meets. So, I suspect it doesn't matter.

Please let me know if you need a guinea pig for that DVI enabled cable box!

Mike
post #656 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Please let me know if you need a guinea pig for that DVI enabled cable box!

I might take you up on that I'd like to see if I could get it working.

post #657 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Why would they need a beta tester for DVI?

DVI will be enabled via a Firmware update (for the boxes that have the connector which all new ones since 2/03 do).....Its not something that needs to be tested first. Its not like DVI is some new prototype product that has never been seen or used before. It is standardized. When Motorola/Comcast is ready to activate it, they will and everyone will get it enabled at the same time, regionally of course.

I know you were speaking hypothetically, weren't you?

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
post #658 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Regarding KOMO sound problem:

FWIW - here's the guy at KOMO I conversed with via email. He was certainly interested in trying to help solve my problem with KOMO sound. Oddly it seemed to go away when I upgraded the firmware on my STB. Give him a try:

DonW@fisherbroadcasting.com

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #659 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Why would they need a beta tester for DVI?

He was just saying if I wanted to try my box on a DVI tv I could bring it over. A friend of mine here at work said that he had hooked his DVI up the other night and was getting a picture not a very good one but a pic none the less so I was wondering if the DVI is enabled but takes some toying around with to get it working is all hehe just wanted to play with the box. I know its useless since its not enabled in firm ware though mine does show it as installed so I dont know.

post #660 of 16093 Old 09-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

BTW due to welcome concern from other members I changed my signature a little theres still a link to email though if you have any questions.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page