Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 16083 Old 09-27-2003, 08:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me elaborate on my answer...The 6208 will have 2 video tuners, these are not included in the count of the Cable Modem & Out Of Band Controller tuners(see the FAQ for more info). I do not know the full functionality of the tuners yet, like whether you will be able to record two different channels at the same time onto the HDD in the box. Or you will just be able to watch one while recording another. Only time will tell....

Motorola High Definition STB Information Pages redesigned 5/12/04 Hope you like it....

Just added to the FAQ:
Defining the Black Bars from the DCT Setup

CATV Drop Losses(excel speadsheet download)

DCT Diagnostics information

I never saved anything for the swin back......-----Ethan Hawk - Gattaca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 16083 Old 09-27-2003, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
re: VO...

I've purchased 2 tv's from VO in the past 10 years...a Magnavox 25" TV (and vcr), and a 20" sony WEGA...both experiences were good..but I didnt' deal with the salesmen in any capacity other than telling them what I wanted (Had done my homework prior to entering the store).

So, the extra mile? 91 days after I bought the vcr from them (this was several years ago), the vcr broke (90 day warranty). VO replaced the vcr, even though it was out of warranty.

Other than that, they seem ok.

Rich
post #723 of 16083 Old 09-27-2003, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks Bokskter....good to know.
Appreciate your comments.
post #724 of 16083 Old 09-27-2003, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Video Only

I bought my 48 in. HDTV from the Southcenter store last December. They delivered it and took my old TV away for a nominal fee ($35 something).

After a week or so, the TV developed a weird problem with moving, streaky vertical lines going through red areas, such as the info field in the Comcast digital cable guide. This happened with every source, including DVDs and HD.

I called Video Only, and they set up a swap out of the TV, but I had to pay for redelivery. They brought me a brand new one, manufactured in December, 2002, and wheeled out the bad one. The new one has been fine to date.

They sold me the TV basically for the sale price of $1499 without sales tax. It was a couple of hundred less than anywhere else at the time.
post #725 of 16083 Old 09-27-2003, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I would be very comfortable recommending Video Only, as I have to many folks in my extended family.

I have purchased several TVs and one HD-ready TV from Video Only, along with VCRs, DVD players, a DV camcorder and a HTIB DD 5.1 audio/video system. The HD-ready TV developed problems after I had it for a month or so and was replaced immediately with no hesitation on their part.

When buying my first HDTV and my first DVD player, they helped me understand progressive scan DVD and convinced me to buy the PS DVD player. They helped me buy the right choices before I even understood what the right choices were. The Kenwood HTIB A/V receiver turns out to have enough optical and coax inputs for my 2 HDTV tuners, 1 DVD player and 2 DirecTiVo units. Again, I was provided capabilities and sufficient capacity that I did not fully understand until later.

That said, I am not impressed with some of their more recent sales folks. I have been shopping at their flagship store in Tukwila, WA, and I deal with long term salesmen and in one case the owner (who maintains his office at that site and can be found in the showroom at times).

Bottom line for me: If they have the product I want, I will buy it there. I always get the best price there, and I usually get a lower price than their initial asking price--at least on the bigger ticket items.

Dave
post #726 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 12:56 AM
AVS Special Member

My only VO experience:

I opt for delivery. They tell me the guys will show up in the evening with a truck, dolly and TV.

One guy shows in his pickup with no dolly to deliver a 52" RPTV up three flights of stairs and then asks for me to help even though I told them specifically i was unable to do so due to a respritory infection that made anything other than walking and buying TVs a strain.

Then, when I stiff the guy for 50% (I did half the work) he gets all pissed and threatens to call the cops. I offer him my phone after which he leaves.

That was about 1993 from the Bellevue store across from magnolia HiFi.

No more VO for me.
post #727 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sastimac
My new DVD recorder requires Guide Plus before I can select anything other than the analog channels. I got the feature up and running two weeks ago and it looked good. Through the digital box, I could use the DVD timer to switch between digital channels and the guide looked good.

Then I went for a two week vacation. When I returned, the channel info was blank. The DVD recorder CSR said to go through the set-up procedure. I did. Now the guide says it can't find data.

I'm caught between the DVD mfg (Philips), GemStar (Guide Plus), and Comcast. Each say it's the others problem. I'm an electrical engineer. A little info on how the Guide Plus data is transmitter would really help isolate the failure point. Can anyone help?

Same problem here I've discovered that there's a compatibility problem with our DCT5100's Override 480p & Guide+ When Override is set to 480p, Guide+ fails. When set to 480i, it seems to be loading listings?!? I dunno ... 3-hours and still empty listings?!?

How long did it take for your Guide+ to fully populate, and does it list the premium channels?
post #728 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 07:08 AM

After several hours a couple of channels appeared. It took overnight for the full data dump.Three weeks ago, I didn't get the HD channels.

I'll check my 5100 settings, but don't think it will help. After calling all the local stations, I learned the Guide Plus+ signal is sent over channel four, KOMO. I send a coax feed AND a VHS feed into the recorder. This way the Guide Plus+ signal bypassess the digital decoder box. After about an hour or so, I get a "no signal found" type display. Do you get some, or all, of the channels but not the show information?

Because of my location, I don't have over the air signals. I'm about to send the recorder to the service center for repair. There isn't much else to try.

Anyone want to buy a DVDR80?
post #729 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by sastimac
... After calling all the local stations, I learned the Guide Plus+ signal is sent over channel four, KOMO. I send a coax feed AND a VHS feed into the recorder. This way the Guide Plus+ signal bypassess the digital decoder box. After about an hour or so, I get a "no signal found" type display. Do you get some, or all, of the channels but not the show information?

I'm not bypassing the DCT5100. My cable feed: Wall Jack > DCT5100 > Video Tape Recorder > DVDR80 > Yamaha AV > Plasma ...

UPDATE: Almost all channels & listings populated. I'm missing 2-NWCN, 53-FX ... more. There seems to be no reasoning why some channels DO & DON'T get into the guide. It doesn't matter whether or not the channels are HD

If you want to use the Guide Plus+ feature, downgrade your DCT5100's Override to 480i.

I'm not going to use Guide Plus+, and restore my Override to 480p. I'll turn it back on the night before, I need to do Timer Recordings. I've e-mailed Philips, requesting this as one of the fixes in upcoming firmware updates.

If you're selling it, how much? FYI: The DVDR90 will have a built-in hard drive.
post #730 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does Comcast need to do anything to my cable drops to make them HDTV ready? I ask, because my friend has Comcast digital, and and old Toshibad 4:3. I want to take my HIDEF box over to his house to see what his PQ lookd like.
post #731 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremyfr
... what kind of problems have you been having??

I FEEL LIKE A VOLLEY BALL BEING PASSED TO/FROM TRUCK ROLLS - LINE TECHS - CUSTOMER RETENTION - BILLING - REPAIR - HIGH SPEED INTERNET - 3H Cable - City Cable Commissioner ... endless loop I don't know what you can do, but you don't want to get involved with this mess. Thanks anyway.
post #732 of 16083 Old 09-28-2003, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Video Only has been great for me and my son. He just bought a 27" TV and found it wouldn't fit in his car when they brought it out. The salesman unpacked the TV and loaded it in the car. Not a big deal bought he could have made my son do it. This was after the store had closed for the evening. They seem to want their customers to be happy no matter what.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #733 of 16083 Old 09-29-2003, 12:18 AM

New to this thread as well as HD (Got our box installed today). Chiming in because of the Video Only references.

When I was doing research on a new TV, I had my sights set on a Samsung DLP. Hoping to do some price comparison I went to my local VO (Tacoma) and asked the sales rep if they carried the Samsungs. He told me no and asked why I was interested in the DLPs. I told him I was originally looking at a plasma TV, but after doing some research (on these forums), I was concerned about burn-in and the fact that if anything went wrong with a plasma, it was pretty much unrepairable.

He then asked me if it was Magnolia Hi-Fi who told me that about plasmas. He then told me with a straight face that plasma TVs do not get burn-in. I walked out after that.

I'm sure this was just an over-zealous salesman, but I just thought I'd share my last VO experience.

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #734 of 16083 Old 09-29-2003, 09:44 AM

GREAT NEWS!!!!.......Oh My God......WHAT?????

- The only channel I USED to watch was NBATV.

- The perfect compliment to the NBA in-demand package.

- 24/7 HDTV NBA programming.

- 5 HD games per week

- EVERYONE in the states gets it except Comcast subscribers Now?

- Why oh Why does Comcast suck so bad!!!!!!

NBA TV signed today with COX, Cablevision, and Time Warner. It's been availibe on Dish and DirectTV all along.

I have been waiting patiently for about a year now for Comcast to give me this channel BACK, that I had. Let me guess.....another MF'ing money issue for them.....or wait.....how bout not enough bandwith to pick it up?

Please tell me who I can write about this B.S.
post #735 of 16083 Old 09-29-2003, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by biz_qwik
GREAT NEWS!!!!.......Oh My God......WHAT?????

- The only channel I USED to watch was NBATV.

- The perfect compliment to the NBA in-demand package.

- 24/7 HDTV NBA programming.

- 5 HD games per week

- EVERYONE in the states gets it except Comcast subscribers Now?

- Why oh Why does Comcast suck so bad!!!!!!

NBA TV signed today with COX, Cablevision, and Time Warner. It's been availibe on Dish and DirectTV all along.

I have been waiting patiently for about a year now for Comcast to give me this channel BACK, that I had. Let me guess.....another MF'ing money issue for them.....or wait.....how bout not enough bandwith to pick it up?

Please tell me who I can write about this B.S.

Well why didn't you say so!

Jeremy can you "flip that switch" also. Thanks!

See, that wasn't that hard.

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
post #736 of 16083 Old 09-29-2003, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by r0bErT4u
I'm not bypassing the DCT5100. My cable feed: Wall Jack > DCT5100 > Video Tape Recorder > DVDR80 > Yamaha AV > Plasma ...

UPDATE: Almost all channels & listings populated. I'm missing 2-NWCN, 53-FX ... more. There seems to be no reasoning why some channels DO & DON'T get into the guide. It doesn't matter whether or not the channels are HD

If you want to use the Guide Plus+ feature, downgrade your DCT5100's Override to 480i.

I'm not going to use Guide Plus+, and restore my Override to 480p. I'll turn it back on the night before, I need to do Timer Recordings. I've e-mailed Philips, requesting this as one of the fixes in upcoming firmware updates.

If you're selling it, how much? FYI: The DVDR90 will have a built-in hard drive.

Good to hear you got most of the chanels. For the others, go to the SETUP function. The chanels may be turned off. Some of mine were until I manual turned them ON.

I'm on travel to Taiwan and will give Guide Plus+ another try when I get back. If it doesn't work, I'll send it to the Philips service center. Maybe I'm unlucky and have a busted recorder.
post #737 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 12:21 AM

Question for anyone in the Tacoma area. Is anyone able to get OTA HD signals in Tacoma?

Assuming I can get an OTA signal, I need to purchase a seperate HD box and an antenna, correct?

Any suggestions on a box and antenna?

Oh...and I tried to read this thread, but with 37 pages it got a bit tiresome. Can someone explain exactly why Comcast only has a handful of stations available in HD while stations like CBS, WB and NBC are broadcasting programs in HD?

"my credenza allows me to conceal tech geekiness...while giving a euro cabinet furniture impression... " - jaybrubin
post #738 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mpestrada74
Question for anyone in the Tacoma area. Is anyone able to get OTA HD signals in Tacoma?

Assuming I can get an OTA signal, I need to purchase a seperate HD box and an antenna, correct?

Any suggestions on a box and antenna?

Oh...and I tried to read this thread, but with 37 pages it got a bit tiresome. Can someone explain exactly why Comcast only has a handful of stations available in HD while stations like CBS, WB and NBC are broadcasting programs in HD?

Click Over Here & Enter Your ZipCode >>>--> http://www.hdtvpub.com/
post #739 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mpestrada74

Sure - I'll summarize for you: MONEY. Those stations and Comcast are still negotiating how much Comcast should pay to carry their HD signal (it ain't free).
post #740 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 08:41 AM

Questions from down the road in Portland ...

We are just about to get Comcast HD, supposedly on 10/8.

1) Do you need to sign up for any certain level of service to get HD via Comcast? For example, could I stay on my $12/month basic cable and just get the locals via HD? Obviously, if I want to get other stations (like ESPN-HD), I'd have to sign up for a package that has those stations. Or do you have to sign up for at least the cheapest digital cable package?

2) If I do sign up for digital cable, do I get the full standard/analog cable on other TVs in my house (i.e. - my 3rd and 4th TVs) for "free" where I don't have a digital box?

3) What is the additional cost for getting the HD stations, beyond the cost for the package that you are signed up for? Is it just $6 (or something like that) to rent the HD box?

4) When the Comcast HD-PVR comes, will I just have to take my other box back to Comcast and have them give me a PVR box?

And finally (sorry) ...

5) In the meantime, before the PVR box comes, does anyone have experience recording Comcast HD onto a regular TiVo or Replay PVR (I have an old series 1 TiVo)? Obviously, it won't record in HD quality, but will it still record widescreen material in the best possible quality? If so, does it crop the sides of the widescreen or does it do black bars on the top and bottom?

Thanks for answers to any or all of my questions ... just a bit excited to be getting HD (if you can't tell) ...

Go Huskies!
post #741 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

marshdom,

1) I believe that you can rent a digital cable box on top of the basic package to get the HD local channels. The number that comes to mind is $5, but I could be incorrect.
2) Yes, all of the channels below 100 are analog and are available to any TV or VCR without requiring a cable box.
3) When I got the HD channels, my monthly cost didn't go up at all over the base digital cable package that I already had.
4) I would imagine that Comcast would deliver the PVR and install it, but time will tell.
5) The HD channels appear on my TiVo letterboxed. The PQ is still pretty good, but nowhere near HD. TiVo has been pretty good about adding the HD channels to their lineup as they are added by Comcast.

Hope this helps.
post #742 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Marshdom:

1.) Yes you can get HD access with only the Basic cable. The HD Box will run $5.10 per month additional. It will give you access to the HD channels but have no guide functionallity or access to anything else aside from your basic cable and HD channels.

2.) Yes you do not pay anything extra to have the Standard cable on any other TV in the house that is cable ready and on an "active" jack.

3.) there is no additional charge for HD access but some HD channels require a minimum digital buy through to get, i.e. INHD requires you subscribe to Digital Classic or above.

4.) Like any box the PVR box would be delivered and professionally setup by a Comcast installation technician

mpestrada74: Current plans are to have nearly all the local affiliates HD feed up by end of year. Exception here is CBS due to ongoing negotiations between Comcast/Viacom. But slated for the next few months is KING,KONG,KTWB,KSTW,KCPQ.

Jeremy

Friends dont let friends watch Pan & Scan!
post #743 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Is INHD up and running yet? I haven't turned on the 5100 box in a couple weeks? Tomorrow was supposed to be day 1, but havn't heard much lately...thankx
post #744 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 11:08 AM

Quote:

4.) Like any box the PVR box would be delivered and professionally setup by a Comcast installation technician
Jeremy

Jeremy:

I think it's great that Comcast is going to offer PVR enabled STB!

Is there some way that we can pick up STBs and install them ourselves? When I ordered the DCT-5100 this summer, the 'technician' basically handed me the box and left. I had to hook it up, search the AVS forum to figure out how to configure the box and call customer service when I found channels that weren't working. AND I paid $15 for this ... He didn't even know the difference between composite and component cables.

Mark
post #745 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Current plans are to have nearly all the local affiliates HD feed up by end of year. Exception here is CBS due to ongoing negotiations between Comcast/Viacom.

Jeremy,

Seattle's CBS affiliate is not owned by Viacom. It is independently owned by Cox. So you will see KIRO in HD when Comcast and Cox reach an agreement-- it has nothing to do with Viacom.

Cox also owns S.F.'s Fox affiliate, Atlanta's ABC affiliate and Pittsburgh's NBC affiliate, none of which are being carried by Comcast.

For whatever reasons, Comcast and Cox have been unable to reach an agreement regarding carriage of the digitals of these channels to date. My best bet would be that, if and when it does happen, Seattle, S.F., Atlanta and Pittsburgh will all see these channels appear in our respective lineups at the same time based on a "global" deal between Cox Television and Comcast.
post #746 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 11:57 AM

drewba & Jeremy,

Thanks for your replies ... very helpful.

drewba ... glad to hear that Comcast HD works with your old TiVo ... I had been worried about that. Obviously it is heresy to record HD at non-HD quality, but at least it will be good quality and letterboxed.

Now what are the chances that our Portland roll-out will happen as scheduled on 10/8 ... can't wait!
post #747 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 12:31 PM

SonomaSearcher,

Do you, by chance, know who owns the Portland, OR CBS (KOIN) and FOX (KPTV) affiliates? I checked both of their websites, but did not find ownership information. It sounds as if both will NOT be carried by Comcast at the outset ... wondering if either (or both) could be due to the Cox issue you mentioned. And if either or both are O&O by the network, does that hurt our outlook for getting them via Comcast (it sounds like it does for at least CBS)?

Jeremy,

This is probably beyond your reach, but any insights on Portland? Doesn't sound like we'll have ID-HD at launch, in addition to CBS and FOX. Any contacts down here that could give you insight on their status?

Sorry to hijack this Seattle thread for Portland ...
post #748 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 01:23 PM

I'll second Markhs' thoughts and go one further: When the Motorola 6x PVRs are available, make them available first to AVS participants. Just give them to us- don't bother to install. We will actually read the manual (which the techs don't seem to have the time to do), and get the box set up correctly for HD. For 'free rent' on the box, I'd even be willing to provide some email or Forum support for end-users and your techs. How about it?

Even for the 5100, I, too, found that 'delivered and professionally installed' was a joke- both techs involved admitted they hadn't read anything about the box. They didn't know about the cables- I had to connect the component outputs and figure out that they needed to go to the progressive inputs on my HDTV, no matter how the box was set. I was told that the optical audio carried only 'supplemental information', not sound (though I already had it working), etc. For this I paid thirty bucks.
post #749 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 01:30 PM

My favorite Comcast installation experience: Tech came over and stared at my projection screen (wondering where the TV was), and then proceeded to try to run coax cable from the 5100 box to my projector (an X1 which incidentally doesn't even have a coax input). 'Ummmm....I think we're gonna want to try the component/vga connections for HD'. The installation fee is a joke since we all end up doing it ourselves. I did mine while he ran downstairs to go get some extra long coax.

Visit the Red-Meadow Theater!
post #750 of 16083 Old 09-30-2003, 01:56 PM

Yeah, my receiver only switches S-Video, so I use a Zektor switch for component video and digital audio (it can switch up to 4 sources). I had everything ready for him to hook up, but he couldn't understand why I had "only 4 wires instead of 5" (Essentially, I had the 3 component video cables plus the optical all ready to go.)
I tried to explain it all, but he didn't really want to hear it. He refused to use my cabling, and wanted to run "All 5 wires" to my TV. He said that the cables he had were "of much higher quality than most". He hooked everything up, and wondered why the sound didn't work. (I have my TV speakers turned off.) After he left, I had to completely re-cable everything, turn off my TV speakers, reset the box to the proper audio output, etc.

And yes, I paid the $15-16 "Home Theater Access" fee as well.

Xbox Live Gamertag: Anderpants
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page