Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #121 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Makes me happy that the house I bought 30 years ago happens to be high enough in elevation to receive very HD channel available today in the greater Seattle area.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Al Shing
KOMO 4 ran a spot this morning espousing their *FREE* HD channel. Just put up a UHF antenna and ...uhem... an HD receiver and you can get free HD on Channel 38.

I'm not sure who they are tweaking on the nose with this ad, but I have my guesses. Perhaps this means that the channel won't be free on Comcast, if and when they get it.

I think, by law, Comcast is not allowed to charge for OTA signals. It is the reason that I pay only $12 for my basic-basic cable.

Cheers,
Steve

A musing or too much?
I wonder what that a*^ is thinking today.
post #123 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

leewalk, I'm in Issaquah, south of 90, near the zoo. I can't get reception here, and I think you might have more mountain between you and the towers than I do.

brvheart, Cable and DSL yes, HDTV the same as anywhere else in the area (meaning no locals).

--Mike
post #124 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tivolicious
I think, by law, Comcast is not allowed to charge for OTA signals. It is the reason that I pay only $12 for my basic-basic cable.

Cheers,
Steve

Wait a minute - so you are paying $12 for those free basic channels that Comcast is forbidden by law to charge for?

Seriously, there probably aren't enough HD subs out there to pay for whatever fee Comcast needs to pay to carry KOMO, even if they did make it a pay tier, so the solution is to not carry the channel at all.

Somebody - KOMO or Comcast, needs to get off the snide and change their stance, or this will be a Mexican standoff for years. And neither side wants that to happen.
post #125 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Al Shing
Somebody - KOMO or Comcast, needs to get off the snide and change their stance, or this will be a Mexican standoff for years. And neither side wants that to happen.

Talk to KOMO. And the others. They spent big bucks upgrading to support HD and they don't se why they should give their valuable bits to Comcast for nothing. If they could find a way to make you pay for the OTA broadcasts they would. They know that HD is the cable guys big stick against satellite and do not udnerstand why they should hand ove rthis competitive advantage to cable for nothing.

I'm not saying I agree with them, that's just the way it is. In my view they would win by just handing it over. The more people see their advertising the better. The more people who can get HD: the faster the transition will happen.
post #126 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ianken
They spent big bucks upgrading to support HD and they don't se why they should give their valuable bits to Comcast for nothing. .

For starters let's try "they" were given the damn spectrum for nothing.

The FCC needs to step in and say, "if you can't the signal via rabbit ears, sat is allowed to sell out of market to you." That should get both sides to the table pretty quickly, and if it doesn't, who cares; we could get it via sat.

Cheers,
Steve

A musing or too much?
post #127 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by leewalk
Larry,
Can you tell if I have a chance at OTA HDTV reception? I'm in Issaquah, on Sunset Ct NW near the intersection of Sunset Way and Newport Way.

You LOS looks bad. The shoulder of Tiger Mountain is blocking your path pretty severely. I would consider cable or SAT.

Larry

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #128 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Alex Wetmore
Larry:

I'm also in the Greenlake/Roosevelt area and would be interested in your analysis. I mapped it myself (using TopoUSA) and things looked pretty bad.

I'm near 5th ave NE and NE 63rd Ave.

There is a hill directly south of me (in the way of the towers going to Queen Anne).

alex

Your LOS looks pretty good - did you consider the height of the towers when you did your topo analysis? That hill does not interfere except with the BASE of the towers. The actual transmission comes from a point about 800 feet up from the ground.

Larry

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #129 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I'm really getting sick of the problems in Shoreline with the Mariners HD broadcasts on Comcast. I don't think they've had a single one yet that didn't have major problems at the beginning of the game. Right now it's breaking up like crazy and is completely unwatchable.

-Rob
post #130 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 07:17 PM

First time now during these M's games that I am getting the picture breaking up in a rythmic manner.

For those of you who experienced this in the past, did this issue get fixed as the game went on, or should I go enjoy the evening doing something else?
post #131 of 16090 Old 07-09-2003, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

I just switched back in the 3rd inning and it looks better. Looks like an occasional breakup, but obviously someone's working on it. Every game so far for me has started with some problem and was fixed by the end. You'd think after they fixed it the first time that would be it.

-Rob
post #132 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM

Guess I've been lucky since we've never had problems with any of the baseball broadcasts. In Redmond.

Last night, we joked and have started calling the HD broadcasts, "The Ichiro Show" ...

Mike
post #133 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
re: KOMO's spot on their "free" HD channel. Put something on there worth tuning to and I will! No HD fireworks on the 4th and seemingly endless reruns of George Lopez (although I don't think it's that bad of a show overall). Yes, I know it's ABC, but I still prefer CBS lineup over ABC, if only for CSI. Love those exteriors shots of Vegas!

Blu Ray... 3-D TV... 4K... I Like New STUFF!!!

post #134 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
LOL@poppa...

Yep, it definately feels like the Ichiro show...they train the cameras on him sooo much...

Cheers,

Rich
post #135 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by boykster
LOL@poppa...

Yep, it definately feels like the Ichiro show...they train the cameras on him sooo much...

Cheers,

Rich

Anybody know if they are still piping the all the M's home games to Japan (via NHK) like they were in his first season? That would probably explain the high level of "Ichi-rocity".

Capre orbis Terrarum
post #136 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by generationxwing
Anybody know if they are still piping the all the M's home games to Japan (via NHK) like they were in his first season? That would probably explain the high level of "Ichi-rocity".

Yep - Fox Sports NW explained this on their post-game show the other night. The only reason any M's games are produced in HD at all is for broadcast in the Japanese market. Also notice the background logo on the instant replays is "NHKsports". So it's no wonder this telecast is "all Ichiro, all the time". This also explains why 1) the HD games are a seemingly random subset of those telecast on Fox Sports NW, and 2) why the pictures seldom match what the (english) announcers are talking about. No doubt the HD pictures match the Japanese announcers perfectly.
post #137 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Sigh...just turned it on and AGAIN it's breaking up like crazy. They didn't get it fixed til about halfway into the game last night. How the heck do they screw it up overnight? Quit turning the knobs over there!

-Rob
post #138 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 PM

Roto, Are you subscribing to the other 2 HD channels from Comcast?
post #139 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes and they look fine. The Mariners game cleared up around the 3rd or 4th inning again just like last night.

-Rob
post #140 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I had the same trouble as Roto for the first game....I rarely start watching the games at the beginning (usually check in ~ 5th inning), so I can't corroborate his troubles.

Since game1, I haven't seen any troubles...

Rich
post #141 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by generationxwing

Yep. I suspect Fox/Comcast is just leeching off the NHK feed.
post #142 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by quarque
Your LOS looks pretty good - did you consider the height of the towers when you did your topo analysis? That hill does not interfere except with the BASE of the towers. The actual transmission comes from a point about 800 feet up from the ground.

Larry

I didn't. I didn't know the height of the towers, the webpage that I found just gave their locations.

When we first moved here I tried using an attic antenna (I can't easily get on the roof) to get OTA regular TV and we couldn't get anything. I haven't tried an OTA 8VSB tuner because I didn't want to drop the money on something that I didn't think I would use.

A roof antenna isn't easily possible right now, but I might give the attic one another try.

alex
post #143 of 16090 Old 07-10-2003, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My OTA analog reception is terrible but my OTA digital is great. It is worth the try.

Dave
post #144 of 16090 Old 07-11-2003, 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by boykster
I had the same trouble as Roto for the first game....I rarely start watching the games at the beginning (usually check in ~ 5th inning), so I can't corroborate his troubles.

Since game1, I haven't seen any troubles...

Rich

I watched last night's game, from first to last miserable pitch, and had zero problems -- beautiful picture. That makes it 2-for-2 perfect b'casts for me. So the problem must be at the "substation" level, no?

wish the All-Star game was on in HD...

stew
post #145 of 16090 Old 07-14-2003, 12:47 PM

Has anyone tried sending comments/concerns to this address:

HDTV_Feedback@cable.comcast.com

www.respectcopyrights.org

Try to look at the forest rather than focus on the trees, or waste hours upon hours critiquing minutia on the tree itself
post #146 of 16090 Old 07-15-2003, 09:50 AM

I just got my first Comcast bill after upgrading to the digital package (for the Mariners feed). even though I was quoted free installation there is a $14.99 "Home Theater Access Fee" that they are refusing to credit me. Supposedly it's a fee they charge when installing the Motorola DCT5100. $14.99 is not free.... I don't get it? why quote free installation if it isn't free? they don't seem to have any answers either..

hey, I just waited on hold for 10 minutes and they came back to me and credited my account the $14.99. ok then!

fyi, those doing this upgrade in the future, you will be charged this fee, it wasn't a mistake... the mistake was that they told me the installation would be free.
post #147 of 16090 Old 07-15-2003, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the warning!

Dave
post #148 of 16090 Old 07-15-2003, 11:32 AM

Good info Doug. Thanks.

Alex- I lived on the north end of Greenlake for a year (rental house) a couple of months ago. I had an attic install--it worked very well. I received all of the OTA stuff flawlessly. I had an initial problem with PBS and multipath--Dave was helping me out with that--but it ended up resolving itself. Give the attic install a try--it may work out very well for you.

Anyway, I'm right on Roosevelt and in multipath-hell right now. I need Comcast to offer locals soon, or I might go insane watching analog cable. Aaargh!

Andy

Xbox Live Gamertag: Anderpants
post #149 of 16090 Old 07-15-2003, 12:50 PM

We are much closer to Roosevelt (5 blocks) than the north end of Greenlake. North end of Greenlake should be great since you can see QA from there.

We're likely going to be moving in the next few months, so I'll wait and see how OTA looks after moving.

alex
post #150 of 16090 Old 07-15-2003, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I can't wait for the day when this isn't the "Official Mariners on HD via Comcast thread." It's not that I don't like the Ms; I just like Jennifer Garner in a bikini sooooo much more. "

Cheers,
Steve

A musing or too much?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page