Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #15061 of 16093 Old 08-18-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally got the myDVR activation to work via the web. The problem had nothing to do with my browser, OS, or PC. The problem was that I had created my Comcast ID using a NON-comcast email address - something that has always worked until now (with Fancast listings, etc). But for MyDVR you can't log in with just any valid Comcast ID - you MUST use your original "comcast.net" email address.

As I found, if you log in with a Comcast ID that has a non-Comcast email address, their javascript goes into an infinite loop, until it eventually terminates with a "stack overflow" error (IE) or "web page is still busy" error (Firefox). Wow - what crappy error handling code!

It seems to be working now - I successfully scheduled a show to record. One thing I'll test - the "real" comcast email address may have only been needed for activation - perhaps you can use any Comcast ID to schedule shows once activation is finished. That certainly seems to be the case on the iPhone app, where it worked just fine even though I logged in with my non-Comcast Comcast ID.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15062 of 16093 Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

It appears both the iPhone app and the MyDVR web page require your comcast.net user ID, not just any old Comcast ID. Apparently my iPhone app worked because I had downloaded & logged into that app a long time ago using my comcast.net address (in anticipation of using MyDVR someday).

I guess Comcast's purpose here is to restrict MyDVR only to customers with BOTH cable TV and high-speed internet subscriptions. Just having a cable subscription and Comcast's DVR is not enough. You can still create a "Comcast ID" without using (or having) a Comcast.net email address, but as I found - that ID won't work for MyDVR.
post #15063 of 16093 Old 08-18-2010, 06:53 PM

A28 here today in Wallingford.
post #15064 of 16093 Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM

so much for believing anything that Comcast says...
post #15065 of 16093 Old 08-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Liked: 11
I'm live near Cottage Lake, north of Redmond. Noticed a firmware update to 22.65 from 22.35 on Wednesday on the DCX3400. Menus were slightly changed. Does that normally come with the A28 update? When scanning recorded programs, the commands are very slow. I tried to activate the My DVR on the website last night. I entered my zip code (98077) and got the wrong TV listings (no channel 103). I tried a Redmond zip code and got the option of King County Digital among others so I selected that. It says it will take 24 hours to set up. I think since we get our feed from Redmond, this is the right one to select. Tried checking the My DVR this morning and got the "Please Wait".
post #15066 of 16093 Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm enjoying the new A28 guide here in Seattle. I just ran into a glitch. I tried to program myDVR from my computer to record the Mariners game (I know) against the Yankees today on 627 FSNHD. The game wasn't listed. It just said "off-air." The SD version on 30 was listed. Interestingly, when I got home and flipped to channel 30, the new guide prompted me to switch to 627.

Art in Seattle
post #15067 of 16093 Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Got My DVR Manager on the computer to work but TV listings appear to be eastern time zone.
post #15068 of 16093 Old 08-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelFreak View Post

OK, tried adding 15.1 and 15.2 both using QAM64 or QAM256. None of those four options worked or showed a signal. Anyone have any idea what's going on with the NBC feed? I thought they were mandated by the FCC to provide clear QAM signals of the local channels?

OK, so I break down and get Comcast to give me the basic cable package so they will come out and remove the trap/filter on my line. DONE.

Go back to the HD Homerun software on my Windows 7 Mediacenter PC and re-scan for the newly added channels. Yeah, the autoscan doesn't find anything on 21-2 (expected location of KINGDT channel per Silicon Dust website at http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_2961289).

Absolutely nothing found during the scan at this location. I then "force" the addition through MediaCenter by adding the channel manually - and voila! It's there. What the hell?!?

But, that confirms that Comcast has placed the channel in an area that is being filtered/trapped in violation of FCC regulations (someone please chime in here if I am wrong) and even when the trap was released, the autoscan feature could not find the channel.

Anyone have ANY idea how this wierdness could happen?
post #15069 of 16093 Old 08-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
RE: KING 5.1 and UNISPORTS 5.2. Bellingham without a box. When 5.1 & .2 suddenly appeared at 15.---- I thought it very weird. Then when I checked with neighbors and found them in the correct place I really thought it weird-er. 2 different Sony sets...Adding digital channels didn't work. I had to do a complete re-scan and 5.1 &.2 were back to where they belong. Also, the same happened with 2.1 (58.8) it finally remapped to its proper place. Digital tuners are direct from the Twilight Zone...good luck!
post #15070 of 16093 Old 08-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelFreak View Post

OK, so I break down and get Comcast to give me the basic cable package so they will come out and remove the trap/filter on my line. DONE.

Go back to the HD Homerun software on my Windows 7 Mediacenter PC and re-scan for the newly added channels. Yeah, the autoscan doesn't find anything on 21-2 (expected location of KINGDT channel per Silicon Dust website at http://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun...lineup_2961289).

Absolutely nothing found during the scan at this location. I then "force" the addition through MediaCenter by adding the channel manually - and voila! It's there. What the hell?!?

But, that confirms that Comcast has placed the channel in an area that is being filtered/trapped in violation of FCC regulations (someone please chime in here if I am wrong) and even when the trap was released, the autoscan feature could not find the channel.

Anyone have ANY idea how this wierdness could happen?

(You can substitue for Comcast)

OK, here's the deal. With a few minor exceptions Comcast isn't obligated to carry squat. Not even locals. However, if Comcast carries even one local then they must carry them all. If Comcast carries any channel at all in analog then they must carry all locals that they carry in analog. Stay with me, it gets even more fun.

Comcast is not obligated to pay the local broadcaster for their signal. The local broadcaster is allowed to ask (demand?) a payment of some sort for the use of their signal. If the broadcaster chooses to ask for a payment of some sort then all provisions of the so called 'must carry' go right out the window and they become just another program provider. I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine that might include any provision that they not 'trap' or otherwise encumber a signal.

For the record, I don't know if KING has made any play to get payed for their signal.
post #15071 of 16093 Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschall View Post

(You can substitue for Comcast)

OK, here's the deal. With a few minor exceptions Comcast isn't obligated to carry squat. Not even locals. However, if Comcast carries even one local then they must carry them all. If Comcast carries any channel at all in analog then they must carry all locals that they carry in analog. Stay with me, it gets even more fun.

Comcast is not obligated to pay the local broadcaster for their signal. The local broadcaster is allowed to ask (demand?) a payment of some sort for the use of their signal. If the broadcaster chooses to ask for a payment of some sort then all provisions of the so called 'must carry' go right out the window and they become just another program provider. I don't know for a fact, but I'd imagine that might include any provision that they not 'trap' or otherwise encumber a signal.

For the record, I don't know if KING has made any play to get payed for their signal.

All of which so beautifully illustrates how carefully the needs of the public have been considered in this joke of a regulatory scheme... - especially maddening in light of the common practice of local governments routinely granting cable companies exclusive monopolies to "serve" (and I use that term with all appropriate sarcasm...) the community, therby depriving the customer of any choice in terms of cable provider notwithstanding issues of lack of carriage, rates, etc... Quite the racket...
post #15072 of 16093 Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

All of that sounds very reasonable to me. (I know others will disagree, because after all everyone knows that cable companies can't ever do anything right.)
post #15073 of 16093 Old 08-25-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tai4de2 View Post

(I know others will disagree, because after all everyone knows that cable companies can't ever do anything right.)

Quite to the contrary, they serve their own interests quite well indeed - and in so doing, they get that part right just about every time...
post #15074 of 16093 Old 08-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I think it's safe to say that there was some negotiating. NWCN didn't end up on Channel 2 by accident.
post #15075 of 16093 Old 08-28-2010, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Comcast is now letterboxing the Fox baseball games on KCPQ Ch 13. Fox is doing baseball graphics that violate 4:3 safe title, meaning the usual center cut of the HD signal for SD crops the upper right score box. This week, Comcast Seattle started letterboxing the SD feed. You see all the graphics that way, but the picture is considerably smaller. I wonder how that's going over with viewers who have 4:3 sets. It's unclear whether Fox's NFL games will be handled the same way this season.
post #15076 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post

... I wonder how that's going over with viewers who have 4:3 sets. ...

No doubt they will blame Comcast for KCPQ's production decision.
post #15077 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Comcast is now letterboxing the Fox baseball games on KCPQ Ch 13. Fox is doing baseball graphics that violate 4:3 safe title, meaning the usual center cut of the HD signal for SD crops the upper right score box. This week, Comcast Seattle started letterboxing the SD feed. You see all the graphics that way, but the picture is considerably smaller. I wonder how that's going over with viewers who have 4:3 sets. It's unclear whether Fox's NFL games will be handled the same way this season.

KCPQ isn't letterboxing their own SD feed? They used to provide 2 separate feeds to Comcast. Haven't talked to their engineer lately, though, so I don't know if that continues.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #15078 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre View Post

No doubt they will blame Comcast for KCPQ's production decision.

Actually, it's a network decision, not KCPQ's. Fox appears to have decided that sports should be viewed in 16:9, even on 4:3 sets. Comcast was center cutting baseball on KCPQ until this week, meaning the score box was cut in half.
post #15079 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually, it's a network decision, not KCPQ's. Fox appears to have decided that sports should be viewed in 16:9, even on 4:3 sets. Comcast was center cutting baseball on KCPQ until this week, meaning the score box was cut in half.

Whoever. My point is - there's nothing Comcast can do to fix this. They can either choose to cut off part of the picture, or letterbox it. They can't change the show's production decisions.
post #15080 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre View Post

Whoever. My point is - there's nothing Comcast can do to fix this. They can either choose to cut off part of the picture, or letterbox it. They can't change the show's production decisions.

Why do you think I am blaming Comcast? I'm not. In fact, Comcast's part in this is passive.

It appears Comcast finally implemented AFD in this area. Active Format Descriptor is a signal sent by the source (Fox) which instructs reception equipment to use a specific format - center cut or letterbox or zoom or whatever. AFD means the end user doesn't have to worry about the format of the program. His set will show it in the "proper" way without any user intervention. Fox uses AFD and its splicer system means KCPQ passes that data along to the distributors. Time Warner and DirecTV do not process AFD. Comcast does, but not everywhere yet. Until this week, Ch 13 on Comcast center cut baseball and cut off the score box. This week, the baseball game was letterboxed.

I'm not sure why your post mentions "fixing" this. It's not something that is broken. When Fox made the decision to move graphics out of the 4:3 safe area, that meant center cut would no longer work.

My post had two purposes:

1. This is a significant development in TV production. Fox is the first network to abandon center cut when downconverting to 4:3. And a change at Comcast meant viewers here can now see the program the way Fox intended.

2. I am curious about the public reaction. Baseball is not a big draw in Seattle these days. But, the Seahawks attract huge audiences, most of whom have 4:3 sets. Are they going to be happy with a smaller, letterboxed image? This change had to come at some point. I'm surprised it came so soon, though. I thought it would be later when a significant majority of sets were 16:9.

EDIT: One more thought here. While graphics have moved into the 16:9 area, which is good when watching on a 16:9 set, they are also larger than they used to be. I suspect that was done so that they'd still be easy to read on the smaller 4:3 letterboxed image. So, in the end, I'm not sure how much of an improvement this is for HD viewers. (Well, I guess it would be a win-win for those who prefer big graphics. )
post #15081 of 16093 Old 08-29-2010, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artshotwell View Post

KCPQ isn't letterboxing their own SD feed? They used to provide 2 separate feeds to Comcast.

I doubt they are doing this themselves. I believe KCPQ was one of the few stations that maintained a separate SD feed to Comcast after the DTV conversion, although I don't know if that is still being done. But, I think Q13 would need to invest capital to process AFD as part of the analog output. Why bother if Comcast is already doing it for them?
post #15082 of 16093 Old 08-30-2010, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why do you think I am blaming Comcast?

Good grief. Why do you think that I think that YOU'RE blaming Comcast? I'm not. I'm simply forecasting the public reaction.

Quote:

2. I am curious about the public reaction.

And that's what I was trying to comment on - the public reaction, which will be to blame Comcast (rather than FOX, or KCPQ, or whoever actually makes production decisions).

Quote:

I'm not sure why your post mentions "fixing" this.

Because I believe the public reaction will be that this is "broken".

I actually agree with everything you've said - and I further predict that someone will make an angry post here in this forum during football season to complain about "Comcast's decision" to letterbox the Seahawks games.
post #15083 of 16093 Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 AM

Wow, been forever since I posted in this thread, haven't had comcast cable since 2006 or something

Anyways, I was hoping somebody in here could help me out with a question that Comcast(Xfinity) can't because it appears they're morons.

Does digital starter have ESPN/ESPN2/FSN ? Need to add cable again for football season, but need to make sure I get the right package. I asked comcast reps online and they said "We don't have a channel lineup now that we're Xfinity and things are changing". Yes, that makes sense, I want to sign up for your service and you can't tell me what channels I'd get.. GREAT!

Also, can somebody confirm it is $7 more or something like that if you want HD?

Oh, one last thing.. anybody know the best number to call to try and get a deal on service. Is there a local number, or do I just call the fun toll free # on their site?

Thanks a lot
post #15084 of 16093 Old 08-30-2010, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Binaural --

Digital Starter includes FSN, ESPN, and ESPN2. HD is an additional $8/month. Call 1-800-COMCAST.
post #15085 of 16093 Old 08-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Thanks wareagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post

Binaural --

Digital Starter includes FSN, ESPN, and ESPN2. HD is an additional $8/month. Call 1-800-COMCAST.

post #15086 of 16093 Old 08-30-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Binaural --

Here's a link to the entire list, for all levels. I hope you can view it:
http://www.comcast.com/Customers/Clu...nt=1&CGID=2829
post #15087 of 16093 Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It looks like Fox letterboxing for 4:3 is not just sports. Glee is letterboxed on KCPQ tonight.
post #15088 of 16093 Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
In the Public Notices section of this morning's Seattle Times (page 3 of the sports section) Comcast announced that we will be getting HDNet (on channel 707) and Ovation (on channel 202, presumably in SD) on October 1.

Also, AnyRoom DVR service is also coming October 1.

Also, lots of small price increases...
post #15089 of 16093 Old 09-01-2010, 09:08 PM

I live in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle and currently have Comcast. I am ready to kick this service to the curb. The HD quality is absolutely abysmal. ANY movie/channel with ANY amount of movement, especially horizontal movement across the frame results in horrific pixilation.

I can play a Blu-ray disc, any DVD and the image is rock solid, absolutely pristine. Watch the exact same movie on Comcast and the image absolutely sucks. And I am paying EXTRA for this level of quality.

I had DirecTV for years and left for Comcast only due to moving. At this point I cannot stand the Comcast HD quality, especially for the amount they are charging me per month (my Internet is already off of Comcast, so leaving Comcast has no impact on my Internet). During the years I had DirecTV it NEVER had image quality as poor as Comcast. In looking at some displays in a local Satellite store Dish appears to have a few advantages over DirecTV.

So the questions I have are:
  1. Is anyone else seeing abysmal HD quality on Comcast in the Seattle area?
  2. Has anyone compared the new Xfinity service to traditional Comcast, is Xfinity any better?
  3. Opinions of Dish versus DirecTV?
  4. Has anyone recently moved from Comcast to Dish or DirecTV, and if so is the HD quality any better?

In the checking I have done so far, Dish, or even DirecTV would be less expensive per month for at minimum the same channel lineup and in fact more channels/options than Comcast provides.

To my mind it is criminal how much Comcast is charging me per month to start with, it is an outright felony to charge this and deliver such abject crummy quality.

Thanks!
post #15090 of 16093 Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlewis View Post

I live in the Beacon Hill area of Seattle and currently have Comcast. I am ready to kick this service to the curb. The HD quality is absolutely abysmal. ANY movie/channel with ANY amount of movement, especially horizontal movement across the frame results in horrific pixilation.

I can play a Blu-ray disc, any DVD and the image is rock solid, absolutely pristine. Watch the exact same movie on Comcast and the image absolutely sucks. And I am paying EXTRA for this level of quality.

I had DirecTV for years and left for Comcast only due to moving. At this point I cannot stand the Comcast HD quality, especially for the amount they are charging me per month (my Internet is already off of Comcast, so leaving Comcast has no impact on my Internet). During the years I had DirecTV it NEVER had image quality as poor as Comcast. In looking at some displays in a local Satellite store Dish appears to have a few advantages over DirecTV.

So the questions I have are:
  1. Is anyone else seeing abysmal HD quality on Comcast in the Seattle area?
  2. Has anyone compared the new Xfinity service to traditional Comcast, is Xfinity any better?
  3. Opinions of Dish versus DirecTV?
  4. Has anyone recently moved from Comcast to Dish or DirecTV, and if so is the HD quality any better?

In the checking I have done so far, Dish, or even DirecTV would be less expensive per month for at minimum the same channel lineup and in fact more channels/options than Comcast provides.

To my mind it is criminal how much Comcast is charging me per month to start with, it is an outright felony to charge this and deliver such abject crummy quality.

Thanks!

When you say "watch a movie on Comcast" - are you actually watching some movie channel/network? Or are you talking about OnDemand movies?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page