Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #15241 of 16093 Old 12-23-2010, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi gang

Hoping someone can answer a quick (sorta) question for me about Comcast billing.

I currently have the HD Pref Plus XF option and a single cable card for my Tivo. I don't have a cable box or any DTA's, and television is only active in one outlet in my apartment.

On my Comcast bill, there is a charge for 'Digital Additional' for 8 bucks. According to the comcast.com info re the HD Preferred Plus, there are supposed to be 'no HD access fees or HD equipment fees.'

With this in mind, is the Digital Additional fee correct?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15242 of 16093 Old 12-23-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversight View Post

With this in mind, is the Digital Additional fee correct?

Thanks!

The first CableCard should be included in your package (and it sounds like you only use one card).

There used to be a direct link to the Comcast FAQ on CableCard charges, but they've changed the way the pages are accessed.

If you Google:

comcast How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

The first entry should be a link to their FAQ page that you can print out and take with you to their office and try to explain it to a CSR there. I've never had much success getting it fixed over the phone.

This is the text of the FAQ:

"How much will I be charged to use a CableCARD?

There is no charge for the first CableCARD that you use as it is already included in the primary outlet fee. If you have a multi-card device on the same outlet (i.e. TiVo Series 3 or two Digital Cable Tuners connected to the same personal computer), you will be charged an additional regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD.

If additional CableCARDs are needed for other devices that are installed on additional outlets, you will not be charged for the first CableCARD installed on this outlet as the cost is included in the additional outlet fee. In addition to the cost of the digital cable service, you will be charged a regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD on the additional outlet.

**Note: The same pricing schedule will be applicable to additional outlets with multi-CableCARD devices, e.g. no charge for first CableCARD on the third outlet and an additional regulated fee of up to $2.50 for the second CableCARD in addition to the digital service charge.

Disclaimer: Regulated Prices quoted above may not apply in all markets. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to learn more about Regulated Prices for your area."
post #15243 of 16093 Old 12-23-2010, 09:26 PM

Thanks Troublebound. I've also not had much luck talking to the phone reps, or finding much useful info on the comcast site, hence the request for insight.
post #15244 of 16093 Old 12-24-2010, 02:47 PM

You are being over billed if you only have one card and no other leased equipment like a box. Call again, escalate to a supervisor if you need to, or go into a store in person. You should also get creditfor the over billed charges too.

Did you have a leased box and a card at some time? Maybe the charge was not removed when the box was returned?
post #15245 of 16093 Old 12-24-2010, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

The new The XFINITY TV App allows you to change channels using your Iphone. This requires thier hardware, ie dvr box? Why can't this feature be done using a cable card?

A cable card is not a tuner. It can't change channels; it just decrypts whatever channel the tuner is tuned to.

The Xfinity app talks to tuners - specifically, tuners running current Comcast software. That doesn't include your Tivo, Ceton, TV set, or other non-Comcast tuner. Unless someone comes up with an industry-standard protocol for "network channel changing", I wouldn't expect to see this, ever.
post #15246 of 16093 Old 12-24-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oversight View Post

Thanks Troublebound. I've also not had much luck talking to the phone reps, or finding much useful info on the comcast site, hence the request for insight.

If you don't get this overcharge resolved, post on forums.comcast.net and you'll definitely get help.
post #15247 of 16093 Old 12-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Thanks for the help everyone. Called Comcast again today, and he first rep I spoke with was pretty clueless (actually sounded new), so she transferred me to tech support for some reason. Explained it to the TS rep and she was great, picked up on the problem right away. Took care of the billing issue, and issued the credits...which should show on the next bill in theory.

I moved several months ago and transferred my service. In my old place, I just had the cable card for my tivo, no addtl outlets. When I moved, the installer gave some song and dance that they were required to set up a box. I didn't argue it at the time, though shortly afterwards I returned the box to the cable store in Redmond. When the box was checked in, their billing system didn't adjust things correctly, hence the overcharge.
post #15248 of 16093 Old 12-27-2010, 06:48 PM

Sorry if this has been asked before but what is the cheapest comcast package that will work with 2 Tivos with 3 cablecards installed.

BR

I love my TiVos and have returned my DCT3412
post #15249 of 16093 Old 12-28-2010, 06:30 PM

Anyone else been having HD reception issues in the last few days? I'm in Sammamish and it seems to be in the evenings, across all/most HD channels, pixellated/blocky video and stuttering audio. Of course as I'm writing this, it's behaving itself just fine. Oh well.
post #15250 of 16093 Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billc6 View Post

Anyone else been having HD reception issues in the last few days? I'm in Sammamish and it seems to be in the evenings, across all/most HD channels, pixellated/blocky video and stuttering audio. Of course as I'm writing this, it's behaving itself just fine. Oh well.

I'm also in Sammamish and I seemed to be getting a fair bit of pixellation the week before Christmas, but I don't think I've noticed it the past few days.
post #15251 of 16093 Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM

I see lots of posts about King 5 on comcast, but didn't see one that talks about what I'm seeing.

I have a Hauppauge 2250, and am feeding it from my comcast cable. I'm using Windows 7 Media Center. Everything works great except King 5, where I get poor picture quality, drop outs, etc. I ran the Hauppauge digital signal quality tool, and for most channels it is great, but for 5.1 & 5.2 it shows 40 db SNR but lots of errors (both recoverable & unrecoverable). I've tried with an unpowered splitter and with a powered splitter, with no splitter... I'm in north Seattle, zip is 98103.

Any idea what might be wrong or suggestions on what to try?

Thanks,

Mike
post #15252 of 16093 Old 01-01-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplumpe View Post

I see lots of posts about King 5 on comcast, but didn't see one that talks about what I'm seeing.

I have a Hauppauge 2250, and am feeding it from my comcast cable. I'm using Windows 7 Media Center. Everything works great except King 5, where I get poor picture quality, drop outs, etc. I ran the Hauppauge digital signal quality tool, and for most channels it is great, but for 5.1 & 5.2 it shows 40 db SNR but lots of errors (both recoverable & unrecoverable). I've tried with an unpowered splitter and with a powered splitter, with no splitter... I'm in north Seattle, zip is 98103.

Thanks,

Mike

It could just be that Comcast is having trouble with King5's signal right now. I've been having some trouble with pixellation watching the NHL Winter Classic on King5 over the past hour or so. I have had no problems with other channels all week.
post #15253 of 16093 Old 01-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike

I have problems getting KING5 too since it moved to 15-2 on my Hauppauge 2250. I can get it okay on my HDHR although the signal quality on the HDHR is ~85-90% rather than >95% like other channels. The HVR 2250 also has problems on 96 (both when it was KMYQ and whatever it is now, but not as severe as the problems on 15. I thought it might just be my connection since I haven't heard of any widespread problems.
post #15254 of 16093 Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea3 View Post

I have problems getting KING5 too since it moved to 15-2 on my Hauppauge 2250. I can get it okay on my HDHR although the signal quality on the HDHR is ~85-90% rather than >95% like other channels. The HVR 2250 also has problems on 96 (both when it was KMYQ and whatever it is now, but not as severe as the problems on 15. I thought it might just be my connection since I haven't heard of any widespread problems.

Can I say me 3? I have 3 tuner cards that are the same, and two of them pick it up fine in one location in my house and the 3rd doesn't (well it can't consistently, sometimes it can, sometimes it can't). Hasn't really been too much of a problem since my other tuner cards can get it but there seems to something with that station.
post #15255 of 16093 Old 01-02-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

Can I say me 3? I have 3 tuner cards that are the same, and two of them pick it up fine in one location in my house and the 3rd doesn't (well it can't consistently, sometimes it can, sometimes it can't). Hasn't really been too much of a problem since my other tuner cards can get it but there seems to something with that station.

Same here! I have had terrible problems with KING5 for the last couple of months, nearly every show I record will end up with a few seconds at least of pixelation, audio glitches, etc...longer shows (like Sunday night football) sometimes have this a few times during the broadcast. Very frustrating - I like others, thought it was just me, and have gone crazy trying different splitters, boosters, etc. I get ALL the other channels just fine, just KING5 that has this problem. My setup is a HDHR with MythTV...not that it should matter...

Ian
post #15256 of 16093 Old 01-03-2011, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyid View Post

Same here! I have had terrible problems with KING5 for the last couple of months, nearly every show I record will end up with a few seconds at least of pixelation, audio glitches, etc...longer shows (like Sunday night football) sometimes have this a few times during the broadcast. Very frustrating - I like others, thought it was just me, and have gone crazy trying different splitters, boosters, etc. I get ALL the other channels just fine, just KING5 that has this problem. My setup is a HDHR with MythTV...not that it should matter...

Ian

I use mythtv too, and I went through the splitter/booster game as well on the tuner that can't seem to get it consistently and nothing helped. I finaly gave up (it's currently a direct connection to the wall) and just decided that I won't record anything on KING5 on that tuner.
post #15257 of 16093 Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlinux View Post

I use mythtv too, and I went through the splitter/booster game as well on the tuner that can't seem to get it consistently and nothing helped. I finaly gave up (it's currently a direct connection to the wall) and just decided that I won't record anything on KING5 on that tuner.

I used Silcondust HD Homerun- both cards record KING fine for me

The Burger
post #15258 of 16093 Old 01-06-2011, 02:32 PM

For those having issues with 105, have you noticed any issues with 115 or 685? They are on the same frequency at 129 mhz. That is at the very low end.
post #15259 of 16093 Old 01-06-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

For those having issues with 105, have you noticed any issues with 115 or 685? They are on the same frequency at 129 mhz. That is at the very low end.

I never watch 115 and it's been quite a while since I watched anything on 685 (Palladia) either.
post #15260 of 16093 Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Thanks,

Mike
I'm in North Seattle too, could only get SD channels as the HD locals were too weak through Comcast. The Motorola Signal Booster 4-Port BDA-S4 Cable Modem TV HDTV Amplifier (got it from Amazon) saved my butt! Pretty much flawless reception for one HTPC, a VCR and an HDTV with a separate Samsung HD Tuner.
post #15261 of 16093 Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM

Liked: 11
Just realligned my entertainment connections with a new flatscreen and hooked up my outside antenna for a backup in case Comcast goes down. Scanned for over-the-air digital channels and seemed to get most of the ones I expected except for KING 5-1 and 5-2. Everything else came through loud and clear. Didn't get KBTC cause I'm in Woodinville and may be too far away.
post #15262 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 AM

Is there a smaller HDMI receiver box available in the Seattle area other than the Motorola DCH3200. I have a flat screen on the wall and a small shelf below to hold the box, but the DCH3200 is SO big! Need something smaller to look more in place in a bedroom. No need for a DVR if that makes a difference.
post #15263 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyicemaker View Post

Is there a smaller HDMI receiver box available in the Seattle area other than the Motorola DCH3200. I have a flat screen on the wall and a small shelf below to hold the box, but the DCH3200 is SO big! Need something smaller to look more in place in a bedroom. No need for a DVR if that makes a difference.

The DCX3200M and RNG110 might work for you. There is a relatively easy way to get the DCX3200 if you have a need for Multiroom. You're guarenteed to get one as part of the Multiroom setup. It requires a truck roll so you'll need to call Comcast.

The RNG110 is another solution an is slight smaller than the the DCX3200 but not by much. I've had lots of problems with this box but I was an early adopter. I was told that early releases of the boxes were problematic and that later versions work better so you're luck may be better than mine. That said, it's luck of the draw as to what you'll get at the Comcast store.

These boxes are a LOT smaller than the DCH series. As an example, I have one of mine mounted under my kitchen cabinets and am using velcro to hold it in place. Works great.
post #15264 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 11:49 AM

Liked: 11
I haven't really coveted a new HD channel for a while but I started watching the Sundance Channel. They are having a marathon showing of an award winning mini-series "Carlos" this weekend. No HD? Any news on whether Comcast is trying add the HD channel?

Art in Seattle
post #15265 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artseattle View Post

I haven't really coveted a new HD channel for a while but I started watching the Sundance Channel. They are having a marathon showing of an award winning mini-series "Carlos" this weekend. No HD? Any news on whether Comcast is trying add the HD channel?

Comcast carries the Sundance Channel in HD in some areas (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1058081), just not in ours yet.

I'm not hopeful for additional HD channels in the short term. My guess is that we're pretty close to maxed out for channels until Comcast drops all analog (including limited basic) the way they did in Philadelphia. Comcast now carries about 150 HD channels in Philly, giving them real bragging rights for being the HD leader in that market.
post #15266 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

The DCX3200M and RNG110 might work for you. There is a relatively easy way to get the DCX3200 if you have a need for Multiroom. You're guarenteed to get one as part of the Multiroom setup. It requires a truck roll so you'll need to call Comcast.

The RNG110 is another solution an is slight smaller than the the DCX3200 but not by much. I've had lots of problems with this box but I was an early adopter. I was told that early releases of the boxes were problematic and that later versions work better so you're luck may be better than mine. That said, it's luck of the draw as to what you'll get at the Comcast store.

These boxes are a LOT smaller than the DCH series. As an example, I have one of mine mounted under my kitchen cabinets and am using velcro to hold it in place. Works great.

Do these newer boxes work any better or have more features than the old ones? I'm still using a Motorola DCT6200. I don't care about size and I don't really need HDMI right now.
post #15267 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeppurpleman View Post

Do these newer boxes work any better or have more features than the old ones? I'm still using a Motorola DCT6200. I don't care about size and I don't really need HDMI right now.

Arguably a better pic (at least with HDMI) with native resolution. They both lack a front panel display so if you're used to seeing the time or channel, you won't with these boxes. A few other minor diffs in how HDMI is handled but if you're not using HDMI and don't care about multiroom, I personally wouldn't bother with a swap out IMO.
post #15268 of 16093 Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskollar View Post

Arguably a better pic (at least with HDMI) with native resolution. They both lack a front panel display so if you're used to seeing the time or channel, you won't with these boxes. A few other minor diffs in how HDMI is handled but if you're not using HDMI and don't care about multiroom, I personally wouldn't bother with a swap out IMO.

Thanks. I'd miss the front panel display.
post #15269 of 16093 Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

I'm not hopeful for additional HD channels in the short term. My guess is that we're pretty close to maxed out for channels until Comcast drops all analog (including limited basic) the way they did in Philadelphia. Comcast now carries about 150 HD channels in Philly, giving them real bragging rights for being the HD leader in that market.

Is this something on the calendar for the Seattle area, or just a possible future network upgrade?
post #15270 of 16093 Old 01-12-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

My guess is that we're pretty close to maxed out for channels until Comcast drops all analog (including limited basic) the way they did in Philadelphia. Comcast now carries about 150 HD channels in Philly, giving them real bragging rights for being the HD leader in that market.

FWIW, Comcast's headquarters are in Philly.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page