post #15301 of 16083 Old 03-09-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 View Post

Did Comcast do something with this channel? I've always had it, but yesterday it started saying I needed a subscription. I'm using a CableCard and all my other channels seem to be working.

Can you see all the other sports package channels like MLB, NFL network?

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15302 of 16083 Old 03-11-2011, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just read that TV-Japan (digital 245) is currently unencrypted to allow news coverage of the quake. Anyone know what QAM equivalent number is?
post #15303 of 16083 Old 03-11-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangwpark View Post

I just read that TV-Japan (digital 245) is currently unencrypted to allow news coverage of the quake. Anyone know what QAM equivalent number is?

Looks like 96-15.
post #15304 of 16083 Old 03-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Hi everybody, I'm trying to find out if Comcast (Issaquah) has Reelz Network. "The Kennedy's" mini-series was moved from the History Channel (even though they produced it) to Reelz. I can't seem to find it. Any idea?
Thanks, Mike
post #15305 of 16083 Old 04-07-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

No Reelz channel, but the Kennedys is available On Demand.
post #15306 of 16083 Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post

No Reelz channel, but the Kennedys is available On Demand.

I just finished watching episode 7 this afternoon using On Demand and went to start episode 8 and it now says "Free with Subscription" not "Free" any more. I don't know what *subscription* they are talking about but apparently I don't have it. Thanks again Comcast.

update after Xfinity Chat session:
They are "working on it" so it appears it may be just a big F-up on their end. It is supposed to be available within an hour. Don't hold your breath. I will come back later to update.

second update: It still says "Free with Subscription" but when I tried it the episode played without an error message popping up. They sent some "signal" to my box and gave no explanation of what "subscription" it refers to. Oh well... back to the couch.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #15307 of 16083 Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

The 'subscription' generally just means if the channel is part of the package you are paying for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post

I just finished watching episode 7 this afternoon using On Demand and went to start episode 8 and it now says "Free with Subscription" not "Free" any more. I don't know what *subscription* they are talking about but apparently I don't have it. Thanks again Comcast.

update after Xfinity Chat session:
They are "working on it" so it appears it may be just a big F-up on their end. It is supposed to be available within an hour. Don't hold your breath. I will come back later to update.

second update: It still says "Free with Subscription" but when I tried it the episode played without an error message popping up. They sent some "signal" to my box and gave no explanation of what "subscription" it refers to. Oh well... back to the couch.

Main screen turn on. All your base are belong to us.
post #15308 of 16083 Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto View Post

The 'subscription' generally just means if the channel is part of the package you are paying for.

On Demand is not a "channel" and therefore can't be part of some channel package. All other On Demand is either FREE or a fee of a few dollars. The whole thing did not make sense, indicating a big F-up on their part.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #15309 of 16083 Old 04-16-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
On Demand is not a "channel" and therefore can't be part of some channel package. All other On Demand is either FREE or a fee of a few dollars. The whole thing did not make sense, indicating a big F-up on their part.
I don't think you understand how On Demand works. If I don't subscribe to HBO, I can't watch HBO On Demand. So for the particular On Demand channel you are trying to view, you have to have the regular version of the channel in your package to access it.
post #15310 of 16083 Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:

On Demand is not a "channel ..."

Actually, On Demand is a channel. This was a question back in February, but I don't think it was ever answered.

On Demand is a channel. If you are recording 2 items on your DVR, you can not watch something On Demand. I do not have Comcast service at my home, but I recently started spending a lot of time with a close friend that has Comcast.

Anyway, the point I want to make here is ... the 111.x, 112.x, 113.x, & 114.x MUX's on Wave Broadband is reserved for On Demand. While you are still viewing On Demand content, you are taken to another MUX to watch it. I am assuming that it is the same for Comcast.
post #15311 of 16083 Old 04-17-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

OnDemand uses a "pool" of QAM channels, shared among everyone on your neighborhood fiber-optic hub. Whenever someone starts an OnDemand program, it's dynamically assigned to an un-used channel in that pool, and transmitted to your neighborhood on that channel. This is why you used to be able to scan thru QAM channels and see the OnDemand programs your neighbors were watching (they started scrambling these channels a couple years ago, to prevent people doing QAM channel scans from accidentally seeing adult content).

The OnDemand programs themselves can be free, they can be ala-carte pay-per-view, or they can be "free with subscription" (eg, free to HBO subscribers).
post #15312 of 16083 Old 04-17-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi guys,

Hoping someone here can help me out. I am having a heck of a time tuning channel 105 KINGDT (qam 15-3). I have 5 tuners in my SageTV setup, and none of them get any reception on that channel. All others come in just fine. Makes me think something about my setup is filtering that frequency.

Right now, I have the coax out of the wall going to a drop amp (EDA 2200) which then goes to a five way splitter to each tuner. Does something here ring out to you guys as a culprit?

Thanks for any help.
post #15313 of 16083 Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmat06 View Post

Hi guys,

Hoping someone here can help me out. I am having a heck of a time tuning channel 105 KINGDT (qam 15-3). I have 5 tuners in my SageTV setup, and none of them get any reception on that channel. All others come in just fine. Makes me think something about my setup is filtering that frequency.

Right now, I have the coax out of the wall going to a drop amp ) which then goes to a five way splitter to each tuner. Does something here ring out to you guys as a culprit?

Thanks for any help.

I have been having the same problem for at least a week. Right now, KingDT shows up completely blank when I tune to it.

(I am using 2 HDHomerun tuners and BeyondTV software)
post #15314 of 16083 Old 04-17-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt5cuda View Post

I have been having the same problem for at least a week. Right now, KingDT shows up completely blank when I tune to it.

(I am using 2 HDHomerun tuners and BeyondTV software)

Same here, it is a systemic problem with what channels Comcast uses to send KING5 over...they are among the lowest frequency, and thus if you have even somewhat low signal or a few splits, you will have trouble. All the TVs in my house, even with a powered amp that Comcast put in, have trouble getting it from time to time, and my HD Homerun almost ALWAYS has trouble with it You can see for yourself if you are having troubles due to strength if you try the tap where it comes into your house instead of after it's in your house with a bunch of splitters...sad, there's not a lot that can be done about it (especially if you split 8-ways like I do, for my HD-Homeruns and so forth )...

This could EASILY be solved by Comcast if they would broadcast it further up the foodchain, but of course, they don't
post #15315 of 16083 Old 04-18-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre View Post

OnDemand uses a "pool" of QAM channels, shared among everyone on your neighborhood fiber-optic hub. Whenever someone starts an OnDemand program, it's dynamically assigned to an un-used channel in that pool, and transmitted to your neighborhood on that channel. This is why you used to be able to scan thru QAM channels and see the OnDemand programs your neighbors were watching (they started scrambling these channels a couple years ago, to prevent people doing QAM channel scans from accidentally seeing adult content).

The OnDemand programs themselves can be free, they can be ala-carte pay-per-view, or they can be "free with subscription" (eg, free to HBO subscribers).

Ironically, this is the system that I am still able to use today on Wave Broadband. They have not worked on filtering this content (yet ... knock on wood). Jim, I appreciate the clarification to my confusing post above, HA HA!
post #15316 of 16083 Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storyid View Post

Same here, it is a systemic problem with what channels Comcast uses to send KING5 over...they are among the lowest frequency, and thus if you have even somewhat low signal or a few splits, you will have trouble. All the TVs in my house, even with a powered amp that Comcast put in, have trouble getting it from time to time, and my HD Homerun almost ALWAYS has trouble with it You can see for yourself if you are having troubles due to strength if you try the tap where it comes into your house instead of after it's in your house with a bunch of splitters...sad, there's not a lot that can be done about it (especially if you split 8-ways like I do, for my HD-Homeruns and so forth )...

This could EASILY be solved by Comcast if they would broadcast it further up the foodchain, but of course, they don't

I had the same problem a few months ago - unable to tune KINGHD on my HD Homeruns. But then it mysteriously fixed itself and now works fine. It's still on the same MUX, 15-2 in my case. I didn't change anything in my house, either.
post #15317 of 16083 Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM

It looks like my dream of getting BBC HD in time for this years Doctor Who isn't going to happen. I'll have to torrent the damn thing again. Any one know if Comcast in Seattle is going to pick up this channel?
post #15318 of 16083 Old 04-18-2011, 10:05 AM

Per Wiki, it looks like only DISH, Time Warner and COX have it at the moment, and even there, it's hit or miss. Which is better than just NYC, which was the case for some time.

So yeah, I'll just have to wait for the HD torrents like I do with Top Gear.
post #15319 of 16083 Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyid View Post

Same here, it is a systemic problem with what channels Comcast uses to send KING5 over...they are among the lowest frequency, and thus if you have even somewhat low signal or a few splits, you will have trouble. All the TVs in my house, even with a powered amp that Comcast put in, have trouble getting it from time to time, and my HD Homerun almost ALWAYS has trouble with it

You might want to try an amplifier with pots for both Tilt & Gain.

Gain adjusts the relative boost across the amplifier's entire band.

Tilt allows you to adjust high frequency gain in relation to low frequency gain.

Between the two adjustments, you should be able to both amplify adequately and equalize signal strengh across the spectrum.

One other potential issue: cable channel 15 (127 MHz or so) lies within the aviation band. (108-137 MHz) Any bad cable/fittings that would allow any significant ingress on the line could potentially affect reception.

I would look at ANALOG channel 14 and channel 16. If they look relatively clean and crisp, I'd suspect ingress on channel 15. If they look snowy, I'd assume the amplifier to be insufficient or improperly adjusted.
post #15320 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Every one else lose the Travel Channel on clear QAM? I think it was at 116.83 (or 9)
post #15321 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

It looks like my dream of getting BBC HD in time for this years Doctor Who isn't going to happen. I'll have to torrent the damn thing again. Any one know if Comcast in Seattle is going to pick up this channel?

Doctor Who is available in Comcast On-Demand, in HD and 5.1 DD. Good thing, too, because I was going to download it on Playstation Network, but that is down for the count.
post #15322 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Doctor Who is available in Comcast On-Demand, in HD and 5.1 DD. Good thing, too, because I was going to download it on Playstation Network, but that is down for the count.

Thanks for the heads up!

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #15323 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl View Post

Do you know how soon after it airs it shows up?
post #15324 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Do you know how soon after it airs it shows up?

The season premiere was up the next morning.
post #15325 of 16083 Old 04-28-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpoppa206 View Post

Every one else lose the Travel Channel on clear QAM? I think it was at 116.83 (or 9)

Yep, gone. It was only a matter of time: it's not part of limited basic and was always encrypted on the 38-X MUX.
post #15326 of 16083 Old 04-30-2011, 09:58 AM

Anyone else having issues with getting KVOS in the Seattle area since they changed name to ME-TV? It was at virtual channel 12.1, and I assume that stopped working due to the PSIP data changing with the name change. I think it was at either 110-1021 or 117-1021 normally. I did a couple of channel scans and my tv skips 110-1021 and I get a black screen on 117-1021. On my HD-DVR the channel is at 711 Mhz which corresponds to channel 110 but that is the one skipped now. Any ideas?
post #15327 of 16083 Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

Anyone else having issues with getting KVOS in the Seattle area since they changed name to ME-TV? It was at virtual channel 12.1, and I assume that stopped working due to the PSIP data changing with the name change. I think it was at either 110-1021 or 117-1021 normally. I did a couple of channel scans and my tv skips 110-1021 and I get a black screen on 117-1021. On my HD-DVR the channel is at 711 Mhz which corresponds to channel 110 but that is the one skipped now. Any ideas?

I just rescanned on both my receivers.

On my LG (which can't decode PSIP over QAM), KVOS was 110-1021, as expected.

On my RJtech (which can), KVOS is 16-1021, not as expected. (I think the 16 is coming from KONG, which shares the 110-X MUX with KIRO and KVOS.)
post #15328 of 16083 Old 05-01-2011, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 View Post

The exact same experience here (Bham). It seemed to disappear about the same time they encrypted the Travel Channel. However, I did notice reception issues during the past month or so. Sometimes (117.1021) would drop out while watching, or sometimes it would be there and other times it wouldn't. I've had a couple of conversation with the CSRs at Comcast...I didn't know lobotomies were in fashion but they must be judging from those calls. I've also spoken to the KVOS engineer and mentioned the trouble with Comcast. I'll give him another call tomorrow and inform him that the Seattle area Comcast viewers are experiencing the same problem.
post #15329 of 16083 Old 05-01-2011, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levibluewa View Post

The exact same experience here (Bham). It seemed to disappear about the same time they encrypted the Travel Channel. However, I did notice reception issues during the past month or so. Sometimes (117.1021) would drop out while watching, or sometimes it would be there and other times it wouldn't. I've had a couple of conversation with the CSRs at Comcast...I didn't know lobotomies were in fashion but they must be judging from those calls. I've also spoken to the KVOS engineer and mentioned the trouble with Comcast. I'll give him another call tomorrow and inform him that the Seattle area Comcast viewers are experiencing the same problem.

After I posted I noticed that the channel had copyright protection on CCI 0x02 and RC Flag 0x01. I emailed the station manager and he replied quickly but have not rescanned yet. The cci has been removed though, checked through the set-top. The scan takes a while.
post #15330 of 16083 Old 05-02-2011, 10:55 AM

Liked: 11
Capt....I sent you a PM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page