Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #16021 of 16093 Old 12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
How does one go about finding the specific channels that are offered in the various packages? What I'm finding on the Comcast website just lists a sample of the included channels.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16022 of 16093 Old 12-23-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wanted to find out if anyone here within this thread is on the "Wait List" for the X1 DVR/Hardware?

I stopped by the Redmond Office recently and was unaware that there is a long wait list for an appointment to be setup etc. May not be till January until they call to setup an appointment.

Thought I would get some feedback from those that are also waiting...I also have heard that around the Winter Olympics there will be another push/promotion for this device and it may be the X2, but not sure if this is simply a Software update (from X1 to X2) or an actual hardware update. would love for anyone to chime in if they know anything!

Thanks!
post #16023 of 16093 Old 12-23-2013, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I got put on the X1 wait list about five weeks ago. I got an automated email about two weeks ago letting me know that I'm still on the wait list. I phoned Comcast, but they can't tell me how close I am to getting an appointment.

One nice thing when I called in five weeks ago was that Comcast volunteered (I did not have to ask) to waive the installation charge because I had to go on the wait list.

Another thing Comcast told me when I went on the wait list was that they are rolling out the X1 boxes as fast as they can because they want to get all of the legacy boxes out of everybody's homes as soon as they can manage it. Comcast would like to get everyone on a common platform that is easily upgradable via IP protocols.

As to the X2, I have read on other forums that the rollout of the X2 software will happen soon. Apparently the current X1 software offers the option to switch back and forth between the official X1 software and an X2 beta release that is not full-featured. From what I was reading, the worst of the bugs are out of the X2 beta and people seem to prefer it to the X2.

I don't recall reading anything recently about release dates for new hardware.
post #16024 of 16093 Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post

How does one go about finding the specific channels that are offered in the various packages? What I'm finding on the Comcast website just lists a sample of the included channels.
Try this Comcast_LimitedBasicandDigitalEconomyChannelLineups_Oct2013.pdf 26k .pdf file

Since you are posting on a Seattle WA thread, I'm assuming you're in the city limits or close by?
post #16025 of 16093 Old 12-25-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Thanks, that helped. I'm in Auburn which seems to have the same guide info as Seattle.

Regarding the guide data, I noticed that a number of the radio stations like KIRO and NPR show no signal (I can still can tune several music stations) on Windows Media Center even though they still show up on the guide. Since I use HDHR Prime, WMC and extenders for everything now, I'm not able to check against a cablebox to see if those signals are truly available or it's a WMC-related issue. Anyone else experience this?

Jim
post #16026 of 16093 Old 12-25-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Here in Olympia Seattle radio stations show up as channels 964 to 984. Complete with guide info.
post #16027 of 16093 Old 12-25-2013, 02:04 PM

An employee at the Redmond office told me to hold off on getting the new X1 DVR. Apparently it's "not ready for prime time" yet...which is consistent to what I have read on various internet forum. My wife will not tolerate being a beta tester....Anyone on this forum have some glowing (or not so) reports on their experiences with the X1?
post #16028 of 16093 Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM

I'm on the wait list for the X1. I've been following the X1 thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1455102/official-xfinity-x1-stb-thread/1050#post_24116422) and it seems like the X1 interface is reasonably stable these days. Also, people seem to like the X2 preview interface well enough that they've been dumping the X1 software for the X2, which is available for use under one of the guide settings.

If you read far enough back into the thread, "not ready for prime time" was a very accurate description of the X1 Guide a couple of months ago. These days, it sounds like the quirks are manageable.
post #16029 of 16093 Old 12-27-2013, 02:44 PM

Liked: 11
X1\X2 experience is dependent on the reliability of your Comcast connection (and the expertise of the installer you get). Most of the issues being reported also come from having satellite (every room) boxes installed. Apparently the installation of these boxes is tricky.

I'm in Bothell and haven't experienced any where near the issues that have been bantered around on AVS or especially the Comcast site. My signal has been strong and steady. The X2 interface is better than the X1 UI. I've been using it now for several weeks. The X2 UI is what everyone will eventually get. Speculation is that Comcast is going to roll it out just before the Olympics. I'm looking forward to the voice control remote that it will support. I have a Windows phone and they don't have an app on that platform and it's too awkward to use my iPad as a remote.
post #16030 of 16093 Old 01-18-2014, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I thought I'd post this for the benefit of anyone else with Limited Basic & Performance Internet.

For a long time (close to ten years), I had Limited Cable and Performance Internet, totaling $69.85 plus taxes/fees at current prices.

A few weeks ago, I heard about the "Internet Plus" package, which includes Limited Cable, Performance Internet, HBO/HBO Go, and Streampix. I called in and couldn't get the promo rate, but I was able to get the standard rate of $69.95 plus taxes/fees.

Previously, I wasn't being charged for either of my CableCards, although I'm now getting a $2.50 credit for the first (since a converter is normally included for the primary outlet) and a $1.00 charge for the second.

All said and done, I'm paying $1.40 less than I was before, but now I get HBO and Streampix. smile.gif
Ken Blauvelt likes this.
post #16031 of 16093 Old 01-18-2014, 06:58 PM

I do door to door sales and if you're interested in adding Internet Plus or another package please let me know! I'll do my best to help.
post #16032 of 16093 Old 02-10-2014, 07:25 PM

Two questions:

Is there a monthly up-charge when going from the old style box to the X-1?

And, does the X-1 have analog audio output jacks? The last question is because my HD TV is a 10 year old Sony plasma set that that has only one digital input - and that one digital input isn't HDMI - it's the older DVI which is audio only. To use the DVI input with a cable box (or any other source having audio), I can use an HDMI to DVI converter for the video, but for the audio I have to provide a separate analog audio signal from the cable box, using a stereo pair of RCA plug cables from the cable box's analog audio RCA output jacks, to the TV's analog audio RCA input jacks which correspond to the DVI input.

Thanks in advance.
post #16033 of 16093 Old 02-19-2014, 02:51 PM

Anybody here curious about what Time Warner can "bring to the table" when the merger is done? I can tell you that since they have technology that Comcast doesn't ... it won't be going to waste! One thing in particular that I'm excited for is the huge advantage that the Xfinity app will have on the Xbox 360 (and hopefully soon, Xbox One). The TWC app on Xbox 360 & Xbox One actually offers over 300 live channels on it, unlike Comcast's 40+ channels it offers (only on XfinityTV.com, along with mobile apps). With that advantage, you can say goodbye to at least one box in the house (unless you really want a DVR).

To me, a DVR is kinda silly now with how much Comcast has to offer On Demand, not to mention HBO Go, Netflix & Hulu Plus. Thoughts?
post #16034 of 16093 Old 02-19-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalcon2k View Post

Anybody here curious about what Time Warner can "bring to the table" when the merger is done? I can tell you that since they have technology that Comcast doesn't ... it won't be going to waste! One thing in particular that I'm excited for is the huge advantage that the Xfinity app will have on the Xbox 360 (and hopefully soon, Xbox One). The TWC app on Xbox 360 & Xbox One actually offers over 300 live channels on it, unlike Comcast's 40+ channels it offers (only on XfinityTV.com, along with mobile apps). With that advantage, you can say goodbye to at least one box in the house (unless you really want a DVR).

To me, a DVR is kinda silly now with how much Comcast has to offer On Demand, not to mention HBO Go, Netflix & Hulu Plus. Thoughts?

Time Warner Cable has substantially more HD channels than Comcast in most of its markets, and a lot more channels not frequently featured on Comcast. Programming contracts may be extended into Comcast markets eventually, and make those offerings better than what they currently are.

Another unique twist of Time Warner Cable is the new master channel lineup. Every channel is being placed on the same number across its footprint, and the same channel numbers will be used for SD and HD channels. This means that the type of box determines the output, and people don't have to search all over for HD channels. Some Comcast lineups (and old TWC lineups) would stick HD channels all over the place.

Also, TWC has the features of Start Over and Look Back that allow for pausing live TV that could be brought into Comcast.

In many ways, outside of all-digital conversions (which TWC has managed their bandwidth through SDV), and internet speeds (overblown with Comcast's cap and overage policies), TWC is the superior company, IMO.
post #16035 of 16093 Old 02-19-2014, 07:10 PM

Liked: 13
When I hear of a merger between two large companies like Comcast and Time Warner Cable, I tend to think of what happened to the music industry when Clear Channel bought a ton of radio stations and became the leader. It did not make things better.
post #16036 of 16093 Old 02-19-2014, 10:24 PM

The very first thing I thought was that all those Time Warner customers who enjoy HBO GO on their Roku will probably be blocked like all of us Comcast customers.  It still boggles me that Comcast is specifically excluding the Roku from HBO GO activation, even when they allow it on other platforms (Xbox for example).

Or maybe Comcast will remove that stick from their hind end and actually flip whatever switch (I'm pretty sure it's just that simple) to finally allow that.

post #16037 of 16093 Old 02-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post

Two questions:

Is there a monthly up-charge when going from the old style box to the X-1?

And, does the X-1 have analog audio output jacks? The last question is because my HD TV is a 10 year old Sony plasma set that that has only one digital input - and that one digital input isn't HDMI - it's the older DVI which is audio only. To use the DVI input with a cable box (or any other source having audio), I can use an HDMI to DVI converter for the video, but for the audio I have to provide a separate analog audio signal from the cable box, using a stereo pair of RCA plug cables from the cable box's analog audio RCA output jacks, to the TV's analog audio RCA input jacks which correspond to the DVI input.

Thanks in advance.
No - the X1 boxes cost the same as the old boxes. When I ordered my X1 box, the customer service rep told me that Comcast wants to get everybody off the legacy equipment as soon as they can manage (I'm sure it will take a long time) because the X1 is so much easier to update / upgrade / diagnose than the old boxes.

Yes, there are analog jacks. Check out this X1 User's Guide (http://cim-cim-images.cdn2.comcast.net/CTV02/Comcast_CIM_Internal_Ingest_Browse_Videos/10/337/FINAL_2014_Q1_MPK_X1_0114.pdf)

I got my X1 a week ago - a DVR and two satellite boxes. I really love the new interface and at least the DVR box works great (I assume the other boxes work fine - I haven't heard any complaints from my daughter - I just haven't used them myself).
post #16038 of 16093 Old 02-23-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

No - the X1 boxes cost the same as the old boxes. When I ordered my X1 box, the customer service rep told me that Comcast wants to get everybody off the legacy equipment as soon as they can manage (I'm sure it will take a long time) because the X1 is so much easier to update / upgrade / diagnose than the old boxes.

Yes, there are analog jacks. Check out this X1 User's Guide (http://cim-cim-images.cdn2.comcast.net/CTV02/Comcast_CIM_Internal_Ingest_Browse_Videos/10/337/FINAL_2014_Q1_MPK_X1_0114.pdf)

I got my X1 a week ago - a DVR and two satellite boxes. I really love the new interface and at least the DVR box works great (I assume the other boxes work fine - I haven't heard any complaints from my daughter - I just haven't sued them myself).

Thank you!
post #16039 of 16093 Old 03-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Comcast Lynnwood, WA added some high-priced adult channels 805 etc. Was looking into high priced boxing pay-per-view 804 in high-definition for Saturday night. What a waste. Will comcast ever add high definition English beInSport or high-definition Epix?
post #16040 of 16093 Old 03-07-2014, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Anyone know if Comcast Seattle will add FoxSports-2 ?
post #16041 of 16093 Old 03-08-2014, 09:34 AM

Oh I see Comcast will be adding HSN2, lol. I would lke to see FS2 HD and BeIN HD (english) also added, but that's just two, among many that Comcast could add. I would love to see Comcast add HRTV, MAV TV, GoL TV, WFN, Funimation, WGN, CNN International, Fashion TV, Fusion, and what about the subchannels that they still don't have, there's ION Life and Qubo, and Estrella TV. Then's there even more, COZI TV, get TV, Cool TV and Untamed Sports (which we both had), TUFF TV, Hot TV (old classics), Zuus Country, Punch TV, Bounce TV, PBS World.
post #16042 of 16093 Old 03-09-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moresports View Post

Oh I see Comcast will be adding HSN2, lol. I would lke to see FS2 HD and BeIN HD (english) also added, but that's just two, among many that Comcast could add. I would love to see Comcast add HRTV, MAV TV, GoL TV, WFN, Funimation, WGN, CNN International, Fashion TV, Fusion, and what about the subchannels that they still don't have, there's ION Life and Qubo, and Estrella TV. Then's there even more, COZI TV, get TV, Cool TV and Untamed Sports (which we both had), TUFF TV, Hot TV (old classics), Zuus Country, Punch TV, Bounce TV, PBS World.
What about JCTV or whatever it's called now? It's on 22.3 on antenna.
post #16043 of 16093 Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Cool TV and Untamed Sports (which we both had)
We still do.

KVOS THECOOLTV is now KVOS Movies! - Channel 343
KFFV Untamed Sports - Channel 351
post #16044 of 16093 Old 03-12-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalcon2k View Post

What about JCTV or whatever it's called now? It's on 22.3 on antenna.
The major-league Seattle stations (KING, KOMO, KIRO, KCTS, KCPQ, KONG, KZJO, KBTC and KUNS) are in demand enough that Comcast pays "retransmission consent" fees.

As for the other stations that aren't quite in such popular demand with viewers, stations can ask the FCC for "must carry" status. However, when "must carry" status is exercised, the FCC only mandates that cable ops carry the main (.1) channel, not the subchannels.

That is why you only receive KWPX's main channel (33.1 which is 3 or 103 on Comcast) and KTBW's main channel (20.1 which is 20 on Comcast). I imagine KTBW would really like Comcast to carry the other TBN channels (20.2, 20.3, 20.4 and 20.5) but there's really no way to force Comcast to add it to their system unless TBN actually paid some $$ to Comcast to add it.

KWBF 42.1 also is a "must carry" channel, but low-power stations such as KUSE-LP and KRUM-LD are exempt from the FCC "must carry" rules so they don't show up on Comcast at all.

I suspect KFFV pays a portion of their ad revenue to Comcast in order to have all of its subchannels carried on cable. That might be the case with KVOS as well. I presume that if KWPX wanted to pay Comcast a percentage of the stations' ad revenue to Comcast, we'd see ION Life and QUBO on cable.

As for CBUT, whenever Comcast or the previous cable op tried to cancel the channel, they faced letter-writing campaigns and petitions from angry subscribers who wanted at least one channel of Canadian TV.

Comcast actually pays "retransmission consent" fees to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for retransmitting this channel. The contract between Comcast and the CBC prohibits Comcast from "sim-subbing" or "blacking out" any CBUT programming. That's why you see "Jeopardy!" on both CBUT and KOMO, and why the CBC feed of the Olympics wasn't "blacked out" in favor of NBC's coverage.

From the early 1960s through the mid-1980s, there actually were THREE Canadian stations on local cable ops.
post #16045 of 16093 Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM

If you are correct, then I presume that KWPX pays Verizon FIOS and Tacoma's CLICK! to be on their systems. Now I can only speculate as to why they pay those two and not Comcast, is that these systems are further away from their OTA signal, which in turn gives their channels greater reach and probably not as expensive compared to having to pay Comcast.
The major-league Seattle stations (KING, KOMO, KIRO, KCTS, KCPQ, KONG, KZJO, KBTC and KUNS) are in demand enough that Comcast pays "retransmission consent" fees.

As for the other stations that aren't quite in such popular demand with viewers, stations can ask the FCC for "must carry" status. However, when "must carry" status is exercised, the FCC only mandates that cable ops carry the main (.1) channel, not the subchannels.

That is why you only receive KWPX's main channel (33.1 which is 3 or 103 on Comcast) and KTBW's main channel (20.1 which is 20 on Comcast). I imagine KTBW would really like Comcast to carry the other TBN channels (20.2, 20.3, 20.4 and 20.5) but there's really no way to force Comcast to add it to their system unless TBN actually paid some $$ to Comcast to add it.

KWBF 42.1 also is a "must carry" channel, but low-power stations such as KUSE-LP and KRUM-LD are exempt from the FCC "must carry" rules so they don't show up on Comcast at all.

I suspect KFFV pays a portion of their ad revenue to Comcast in order to have all of its subchannels carried on cable. That might be the case with KVOS as well. I presume that if KWPX wanted to pay Comcast a percentage of the stations' ad revenue to Comcast, we'd see ION Life and QUBO on cable.

As for CBUT, whenever Comcast or the previous cable op tried to cancel the channel, they faced letter-writing campaigns and petitions from angry subscribers who wanted at least one channel of Canadian TV.

Comcast actually pays "retransmission consent" fees to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation for retransmitting this channel. The contract between Comcast and the CBC prohibits Comcast from "sim-subbing" or "blacking out" any CBUT programming. That's why you see "Jeopardy!" on both CBUT and KOMO, and why the CBC feed of the Olympics wasn't "blacked out" in favor of NBC's coverage.

From the early 1960s through the mid-1980s, there actually were THREE Canadian stations on local cable ops.[/quote]
post #16046 of 16093 Old 03-13-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

If you are correct, then I presume that KWPX pays Verizon FIOS and Tacoma's CLICK! to be on their systems. Now I can only speculate as to why they pay those two and not Comcast, is that these systems are further away from their OTA signal, which in turn gives their channels greater reach and probably not as expensive compared to having to pay Comcast..
[/quote]

KWPX and KTBW both have very powerful transmitters at very high tower locations. I don't think either station's OTA signal is weak in Frontier/Verizon territory (the northern part of the Eastside) or Click! territory (Tacoma, University Place, Fircrest). If FiOS and Click! are carrying the subchannels for KWPX and KTBW, they either are doing so voluntarily as part of their business model, or are receiving some sort of financial consideration for doing so.

So does FiOS and Click! carry QUBO (33.2), ION Life (33.3), Telemundo (33.7), Church Channel (20.2), JCTV (20.3), Enlace (20.4) and Smile of a Child (20.5)? I am sure many viewers actually might enjoy watching these specialty subchannels. Comcast certainly could add these 7 SD subchannels to their Limited Basic tier without unusual difficulty, but because the FCC doesn't mandate carriage of subchannels, Comcast presumably would like to receive some financial compensation for the "privilege".

Keep in mind that whenever cable and satellite ops are challenged by viewers when OTA broadcast stations are dropped from channel lineups - usually when it's an "out of market" station per the FCC's DMA maps but sometimes when these are OTA subchannels - the cable/satellite ops argue to the FCC and the courts that this is a "Freedom of Speech" issue. Comcast and their peers contend that they have the right to control what OTA stations and cable networks are offered unless forced by the "Must Carry" rule.

This also explains why some cable ops - notably smaller systems in rural areas like Sumas or Point Roberts - don't carry TVW and only offer one C-SPAN channel.

http://cityofsumas.homestead.com/tvchannels.html
http://www.deltacable.com/cabledigitaltv/channelguidepointroberts.aspx#

Sumas runs its own municipal cable system - $36.95 per month for 57 channels, their web site is vague about HD service. The Sumas cable system includes 4 Canadian OTA channels. Sumas does carry KTBW's 20.1, 20.3 and 20.5 (TBN, JCTV and Smile). Even though Sumas is technically within the Seattle DMA, their system does not carry KOMO 4.2 (This), KING 5.2 (Life), KIRO 7.2 (Retro), KCTS 9.2 or 9.3 (Create), or any channels or subchannels of KZJO, KBTC, KWPX, KWBF, KFFV or KUNS.

Point Roberts is serviced by Delta Cablevision (BC) - $35.45 per month for 41 channels, $9.95/month for 13 more "expanded basic" channels, not sure if there is an HD surcharge. The PR system includes 6 Canadian OTA channels. Again, while Point Roberts is technically within the Seattle DMA, their system does not carry KOMO 4.2 (This), KING 5.2 (Life), KIRO 7.2 (Retro), KCTS 9.2 or 9.3 (Create), or any of the various channels or subchannels for KTBW, KZJO, KBTC, KWPX, KWBF, KFFV or KUNS.

This underscores my point: cable ops can justify their channel lineups as "freedom of speech" issues. I am guessing that due to the extremely weak reception of the "must carry" minor-league stations, the FCC doesn't force the Sumas or PR cable two systems to offer those "must carry" stations.

I know this "freedom of speech" issue is counterintuitive, but it's shown up many times in FCC administrative rulings. Both the Sumas and PR cable systems do seem to offer very good "bang for the buck" for the consumer compared to Comcast's regular prices for similar service levels.
post #16047 of 16093 Old 03-13-2014, 08:40 PM

Limited basic customer Seattle here. Where did 112 move to, it uses to be a local public station showed food shows etc. Its now a Spanish station.
TIA.
post #16048 of 16093 Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by synch22 View Post

Limited basic customer Seattle here. Where did 112 move to, it uses to be a local public station showed food shows etc. Its now a Spanish station.
TIA.

That's KCTS Create and they moved it to 336.
post #16049 of 16093 Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidesertforester View Post

Was 112 HD? 336 is not.
post #16050 of 16093 Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidesertforester View Post

Was 112 HD? 336 is not.
AFAIK none of the KCTS sub channels are HD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception