AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#10,722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle /forum/post/12203391

Without an HD box, you must have the cable connected directly to the TV and use the QAM tuner in the TV.

I'm new to this thread and also just got a HD TV last week. I've checked out the comcast site and spoke to three different comcast reps yesterday. Not surprisingly, I got three different versions of reality. I did learn a couple to things however. Seems the "basic" cable provided in the condo I recently moved into is called "landlord basic" and isn't listed among the options on the comcast site. My situation is this: with a direct from the wall coax connection, I get basic cable which includes the local HD channels of which there are 8. To get the other 8 or so, my options seem to be to get the box and "limited basic" for around $20 or just get "limited basic" for around $18 and continue using the direct coax method. I'd like find out if the pq is significant better with the box for $6.50 over the dircect coax connect. Also, are these the only options available? Thanks.

B

#10,723 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatto /forum/post/12223520

I'm new to this thread and also just got a HD TV last week. I've checked out the comcast site and spoke to three different comcast reps yesterday. Not surprisingly, I got three different versions of reality. I did learn a couple to things however. Seems the "basic" cable provided in the condo I recently moved into is called "landlord basic" and isn't listed among the options on the comcast site. My situation is this: with a direct from the wall coax connection, I get basic cable which includes the local HD channels of which there are 8. To get the other 8 or so, my options seem to be to get the box and "limited basic" for around $20 or just get "limited basic" for around $18 and continue using the direct coax method. I'd like find out if the pq is significant better with the box for $6.50 over the dircect coax connect. Also, are these the only options available? Thanks.

B

I'm pretty sure the PQ will be better with the box, because for one thing when they install the box, they'll supply you with component cables, but I swapped those out for HDMI cables which you can get for cheap at [ http://www.monoprice.com ].

As for which package is the one that'll get you the other HD channels, I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head. However, one tip I would give is when/if you're going to call them about getting whatever package, tell them that you're also looking at DirecTV and they'll most likely cut you a deal.

#10,724 ·
here's a potential option for you that seems to provide good value - landlord basic (free to you) + digital classic ($12.99) + HD Box ($6.50). the box will generally be easier to navigate with than the connection straight to the TV and you will gain ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Universal HD, MHD, TNTHD, HD Theater, MOJO w/ FSN events, Versus/Golf Ch HD, and coming soon HistoryHD, A&E HD, USA-HD & Nat Geo HD. Additionally w/ the box you'll get most of the OnDemand content for free including some HD and more to come next year as well as all the SD channels available on the Digi Classic tier.

#10,725 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatto /forum/post/12223520

To get the other 8 or so, my options seem to be to get the box and "limited basic" for around $20 or just get "limited basic" for around $18 and continue using the direct coax method. I'd like find out if the pq is significant better with the box for $6.50 over the dircect coax connect.

Without an HD box you won't get any more channels than the ones you now get, no matter what plan you have, because the others will be encrypted. The quality should be the same either way. If your TV would accept cable cards (doubtful) you would get the all the HD channels included in your plan, even without the box.

#10,726 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 /forum/post/12224115

here's a potential option for you that seems to provide good value - landlord basic (free to you) + digital classic ($12.99) + HD Box ($6.50). the box will generally be easier to navigate with than the connection straight to the TV and you will gain ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, Universal HD, MHD, TNTHD, HD Theater, MOJO w/ FSN events, Versus/Golf Ch HD, and coming soon HistoryHD, A&E HD, USA-HD & Nat Geo HD. Additionally w/ the box you'll get most of the OnDemand content for free including some HD and more to come next year as well as all the SD channels available on the Digi Classic tier.

I didn't think you could go from limited basic to digital classic, I thought they made you buy expanded as well to get digital anything. Anyone else know if this is true?

#10,728 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master843 /forum/post/12225575

I didn't think you could go from limited basic to digital classic, I thought they made you buy expanded as well to get digital anything. Anyone else know if this is true?

he said he had landlord basic, not limited. it can go either way with a condo association - most provide expanded basic (called landlord basic) but it is possible that they only provide limited (called landlord limited). however my reply was based on his use of the term landlord basic.

if he only has landlord limited (channels 2-29 & 75-119) then the extra fee for the expanded part would be $35.65. so, there you go.

#10,729 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 /forum/post/12225864

I have expanded basic cable and a CABLE CARD. If I pay $12.99, will that get me Discovery HD, ESPN HD, etc, and the coming soon HD channels, WITHOUT NEEDING TO RENT (or even use) a cable box?

yes. you'd be going from basically digital starter ($52.25) to digital starter plus digital classic (sorry, the classic part is $14.99 not $12.99 - due to the new prices effective Nov 15th).

#10,730 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 /forum/post/12226956

he said he had landlord basic, not limited. it can go either way with a condo association - most provide expanded basic (called landlord basic) but it is possible that they only provide limited (called landlord limited). however my reply was based on his use of the term landlord basic.

if he only has landlord limited (channels 2-29 & 75-119) then the extra fee for the expanded part would be $35.65. so, there you go.

Thanks jeff28,wareagle and homerjr for all the useful info. Seems that I'll have to go to a set top box to get all the hd channels. (no card slot in set) One of the problems in making an informed decision is the difficulty getting informed through comcast. The website doesn't match the titles and prices of the various packages available. From the feedback here today and the bits of useful info I got on the phone with comcast it seems that I'll either go with digital classic or limited basic, both of which will require the box and seem to be about the same price. I ordered the hdmi cables from monoprice - great prices there. I was hoping to be able to augment the basic (landlord basic) cable package I now have by somehow just adding the remaining 6 or 8 hd channels but that's not a option. Thanks again to all and sorry for being so longwinded.

B

#10,731 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 /forum/post/12227091

yes. you'd be going from basically digital starter ($52.25) to digital starter plus digital classic (sorry, the classic part is $14.99 not $12.99 - due to the new prices effective Nov 15th).

What about on my other new HDTV that does not have a cablecard slot - would I need to rent a box for that to get the non local HD channels unscambled?

#10,732 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff28 /forum/post/12226956

Yeah, what I have provided seems to be expanded basic. I've only had the set a couple of days, but I believe I'm getting 2 thru a hundred and something. (includes all the 30s,40, 50s and 60s too) I'm quite amazed still with the quality of the hd channels. I've just been on the fence as to whether to pay the 6.50 plus the 12.99 I was quoted yesterday to get the remaining hd channels. (Seems that price has gone up since)

B

#10,735 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangwpark /forum/post/12227471

Man alive... my wife called to tell me that we lost power at home, and it's probably not coming back online until midnight. Does that mean that all my DVR recordings are toast? Such was the case when we had MS guide and had a power outage a year ago.

--

Sang

I had a DCT-3416 that twice lost everything after either pulling the plug for a reset, or after a power outage. The other DCT-3416 I have has never lost anything, so I took the suspected one in and traded it in for a DCH-3416.

So the answer is - if you've lost recordings before due to a power outage, it might happen again, but then I would just go trade the box in for a new one.

#10,739 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleAl /forum/post/12227637

I had a DCT-3416 that twice lost everything after either pulling the plug for a reset, or after a power outage. The other DCT-3416 I have has never lost anything, so I took the suspected one in and traded it in for a DCH-3416.

So the answer is - if you've lost recordings before due to a power outage, it might happen again, but then I would just go trade the box in for a new one.

My 3416 inexplicably shut off yesterday for about 45 seconds then came back on i lost nothing Very weird...Also the UW game on 105...is anyon e getting an awful hd picture? All my other HD games look great...this seems to be a problem with the cameras at husky stadium All fsn sd games from there suck Any opinions? WTF, can't they get good cameras?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.