2Likes

post #1591 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jasg:

No the only area that's been firmware upgraded is Everett, and parts of Sno County as the firmware upgrades the box to VOD capabilities.

As your area gets closer to VOD launch you'll see the firmware upgrade hit your box.

Friends dont let friends watch Pan & Scan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 03:57 PM

Liked: 11
Podmon: "... a 15 pin d-sub VGA to component video cable ..."

I can't help much with buying local versus mail-order, but if what you're needing is a component video signal (from the Comcast box) -> VGA (your projector / TV), then you need a component->VGA transcoder for good results. Cable-only solution will result in colors being significantly off (can't remember details - pinkish hues?). Component signals are different than VGA.

I ordered my transcoder from Digital Connection, who I've done business with before. I ended up buying the newest and most expensive transcoder - Key Digital KD-CTCA3, around $280 on the street. The CTCA3 (and similar high-quality transcoders) handle VGA synch signals a little better, resulting in a little more performance (since lower quality transcoders mix some synch information into the RGB signals). My guess is it's only noticeable on front projector CRTs or higher-end TVs, but I like having the best signal I can going in to my projector.

I think there's some transcoders that probably do a decent job for under $100 - Audio Authority, etc.

Hope this helps,

Cliff
post #1593 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 04:11 PM

?!? What firmware/software versions did Comcast push ?!?

Are we getting the latest greatest versions?

Per miatasm as of 12/14/03, "The Latest Version is SW Ver. 51.22 - 2002 & Firmware of 5.03 - (Philadelphia Region). This enabled the "480 Override" function discussed earlier in this FAQ, and includes the first couple of the analog PQ fixes, plus some other minor tweaks to the Guide & Menu system, of which most are unnoticeable."

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremyfr
Jasg:

No the only area that's been firmware upgraded is Everett, and parts of Sno County as the firmware upgrades the box to VOD capabilities.

As your area gets closer to VOD launch you'll see the firmware upgrade hit your box.

post #1594 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

n/m read below post

post #1595 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Good news guys I just heard that they're loading new software to all HD box's for the very problem you're all speaking of, it should be loaded to all western Washington in the few weeks. And it will be the 51.22 - 2002 5.03 so quit complaining now! hehe

post #1596 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Thank you very much!
If you don't mind, I'll keep complaining.
That's your job security

Quote:

Good news guys I just heard that they're loading new software to all HD box's for the very problem you're all speaking of, it should be loaded to all western Washington in the few weeks. And it will be the 51.22 - 2002 5.03 so quit complaining now! hehe

post #1597 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you don't mind, I'll keep complaining.
That's your job security

Hehe not a problem.

post #1598 of 16093 Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 PM

Well looks like the chowderheads at KCPQ kicked on the HD feed midway through "Tru Calling". I think it's been analog since Tuesday, at least.
post #1599 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

But they don't have their upconvert/aspect control stuff working becuase instead of anamophic fake HD we now have fake HD + stretcho-o-vision for the the SD stuff.
post #1600 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ianken
But they don't have their upconvert/aspect control stuff working becuase instead of anamophic fake HD we now have fake HD + stretcho-o-vision for the the SD stuff.

Before they turned on the HD feed of "Tru Calling", I noticed I had to be in "Full" mode on my Toshiba 34HDX82 to "unsqueeze" them, so they must have been transmitting in anamorphic SD since it did fill the screen...

Once the HD feed kicked in, the TV took over and everything was swell.
post #1601 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 11:22 AM

Jeremyfr,

So you are basically tell us that our area of Comcast will be denied the Superbowl in High Definition. That will make it the 2nd year, now!!!

Robert

Quote:

Also I have not heard anything regarding KIRO coming soon and anything to do with negotiations would not be let out to any CSR untill they were complete.

I will of course look into this more but there has not been anything said and no talk of it that I've heard.

post #1602 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like KING cleared up for me last night. Seems for the past week or so it had a lot of glitches and was at its worst on Wednesday night during Ed and The West Wing. No problems for me during ER.

-Rob
post #1603 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by r0bErT4u
Jeremyfr,

So you are basically tell us that our area of Comcast will be denied the Superbowl in High Definition. That will make it the 2nd year, now!!!

Robert

No, he's telling you a CSR having as much information as previously stated is highly unlikely.

Capre orbis Terrarum
post #1604 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The CSR I talked to probably confused Sammamish with Spokane. She probably thought I was asking about KREM-TV, a Belo-owned CBS affiliate that is supposedly coming on-line soon in Spokane! Who knows???
post #1605 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 04:01 PM

A subscriber is recording onto DVD+R, and Comcast's system has one of their many outages/glitches ...

Does Comcast owe the customer a new DVD+R to replace the ruined DVD (ie. coaster)?!?
post #1606 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by r0bErT4u
A subscriber is recording onto DVD+R, and Comcast's system has one of their many outages/glitches ...

Does Comcast owe the customer a new DVD+R to replace the ruined DVD (ie. coaster)?!?

You don't know? Didn't you read the contract fine print before signing up for Comcast?
post #1607 of 16093 Old 01-09-2004, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

If your cable is out for 48+ hours after an ice storm, will they give you a break in the billing if you contact support? This isn't the longest outage I've ever had, but it is the longest in years.
post #1608 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

yes Al they will always give you credit even if its out for 5 minutes

post #1609 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 11:56 AM

I've had Comcast HD for 3 hours now! But I think I already hate the service. I was excited to get cable again as I haven't had service since 1997.

Now, why do I hate it so far?

First, the HD services Pixelize like crazy (except the INHD channels). The installer told me to expect that as it is a common problem and the engineers have no idea how to fix it. Great, why pay extra for this???

Second, the on-screen program is AWFUL/PAINFUL. I do regularly use my brother's Dishnetwork service and the on-screen service is great - showing several hours at one time (vs. Comcast's 1/2 hour). On Dish, the IPG defaults to the channel you're currently viewing (vs. Comcasts' default of Ch. 2). The Dish DOESN'T have ads. When you select INFO, the entire program is blocked out - again, the Dish does not do this.

Third, NO KOMO-ABC in HD.

Fourth, NO KCTS-PBS in HD.

Fifth, NO KSTW-UPN or KIRO-CBS in HD. (This I expected as I've read that negotiations are uderway).

Sixth, the analog channels are fuzzy.

Currently, these are the channels I get: 105, 106, 113, 114, 549, 574, 664, 665. I thought there were more.

Ok, what do I like about it? The channels change superfast when compared to Dish (except from SD to HD - which I think is a function of my TV not the box).

Thanks for listening to my rants...
post #1610 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by mwnorman
I've had Comcast HD for 3 hours now! But I think I already hate the service. I was excited to get cable again as I haven't had service since 1997.

Now, why do I hate it so far?

First, the HD services Pixelize like crazy (except the INHD channels). The installer told me to expect that as it is a common problem and the engineers have no idea how to fix it. Great, why pay extra for this???

Second, the on-screen program is AWFUL/PAINFUL.
Sixth, the analog channels are fuzzy.

Thanks for listening to my rants...

As far as pixelization is concerned you should not have to accept that. Several things to check. First, if you have a splitter before the box, try to remove that if possible. Second, if you have the cable going into a surge protector before going into the box, take that out and go straight into the box if possible. Third, go to one of your problem channels and press Power, then OK within 2 seconds. Go to the Inbound Status screen and observe the settings. If you see Fair or Poor SNR/AGC readings or if the uncorrectable error counts are high (1k plus) then you are having a signal strength issue. Call Comcast for a service visit and stay on top of them as you should not put up with that. The installer likely doesn't know much about HD or didn't want to deal with it.

I agree about the guide, it really sucks unfortunately. Can't believe that TV Guide has its name associated with such crap. However, you should check out the On Demand freebie stuff, as that is pretty nice if you have it in your area.

Good luck.
post #1611 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 12:44 PM

Quote:

You should call for another service call (with a different technician) - this is not "expected". I had this problem and it was determined the signal was to weak to my cable box. A no-charge amplifier was added and no more pixelation on HD. It sounds like you got a rookie installer. The technician who fixed my problem was very knowledgeable about all things HD.
post #1612 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM

On a different subject, what's the deal with KCPQ giving us a stretched image on their digital channel? We need to have the display changed back to OAR (IMHO).
post #1613 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 02:10 PM

Why the hell did 113 switch to the stretch crap! Isn't the NFC game today in fox widescreen - 480p? The seahawks game last week looked fiine to me? The pic is better than 13 but the stretch is bogus. I HATE it. WHY>??
post #1614 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you mean that they aren't in the guide or they just don't come in? Unless Keyport is different you should have 104, 108, 109, 110? (never watch 110, its a PBS kids channel I think). If they're listed but not coming in, then you definitely have a signal problem. And yes, the guide sucks and if you're used to dish, the analog signals look awful. Course, I'm used to analog and I think the dish highly compressed signals for the same channels look awful.
post #1615 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't understand why you wouldn't be getting KOMO-HD on ch 104. This was one of the first local HD channels that Comcast added. Works great, except for the occasional audio/video sync issue.

As for KCTS-HD (ch 108), that station only broadcasts from 5p - 11p every day. That's a KCTS thing, not a Comcast thing.
post #1616 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 02:34 PM

You are right...it must be a low signal problem. HBO/KCPQ - SNR is fair at 31.2. But AGC is good at 52. It looks like it doesn't take much to make it significantly better - INHD SNR is 32.4 but fair and AGC is good at 52 but no Pixelization.

There is one splitter splitting the cable TV and cable modem outside of the house. I've had the cable modem for years so I suspect the installer must have placed the splitter there today when he connected cable television.

If I pull the splitter out of the loop, I'll have no cable modem.

I'll call to see if I can get a 'no cost' amplifier installed...

Thanks!
post #1617 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 02:37 PM

No we do not get KOMO or KCTS.

Channels 104, 108, 109, 110.

They are neither in the guide or available when I key in the channels directly.
post #1618 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 03:15 PM

when i called comcast today i asked about dvr status and the CSR said it was launching in Everett now... i asked again to clarify and was told VOD was launching in Everett now... so, i asked a third time and was told that VOD & DVR were the same - i.e., VOD was using the DVR box...

I believe earlier that JeremyFr said the 6200 was being VOD-enabled, so you don't need the 6208 (the DVR box).

Jeremy - can you clarify DVR status here in WA?
post #1619 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jeremy,

Any clue whether or not Comcast is going to meet the July 1, 2004 OpenCard mandate?

Cheers,
Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I wonder what that a*^ is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1620 of 16093 Old 01-10-2004, 08:51 PM

Mwnorman, please let me know if you find a way to resolve the KOMO/KCPQ issue. Comcast dropped off a 5100 yesterday, and I hooked up in the evening. Digital channels are good except no KOMO and no KCPQ-same as you, I can't direct key or channel up/down to either.

I doubt it's signal strength in my case- previous check by a tech showed excellent signal strength, I use a distribution amp, and all other channels are perfect.

Must be a Kitsap thing- I'm in Vinland area.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page