AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#13,481 ·
i'm in the renton/kennydale area-98056 and have a tivo hd. No new HD channels but i see the listings in the guide, Don't think they have hit my area yet, if anyone knows different, please let me know.

Also has anyone noticed on their Tivo hd's that the music channels are messed up in terms off channel mapping? For example soundscapes is actually on 934 (used to be 932 but i think in the guide now its 933) but shows guide data for a different channel, its seem the channels are all skewed by one. This started after they made changes to the music channels but none of the 900 numbered music channels in the guide actually match their respective music stations

#13,482 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/16328838

Thanks. I managed to do this with a friend's setup so that they could use their digital and get a direct line to the TV to get local HD stations.

The problem, however, is that my Panasonic only has 1 coax input. I suppose I would need to get a switch to pull that method off.

Even the free Comcast Digital Adapter has a video out jack, so you split the incoming COAX to both your digital box and your QAM capable TV. Connect the box via the video jack, same as you connect a DVD player. The COAX jack on the TV is connected straight to the splitter.

You don't need a switch, just a splitter. You switch between input ports the same as you always do, with your TV remote.

#13,484 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 /forum/post/16347239

Even the free Comcast Digital Adapter has a video out jack, so you split the incoming COAX to both your digital box and your QAM capable TV. Connect the box via the video jack, same as you connect a DVD player. The COAX jack on the TV is connected straight to the splitter.

You don't need a switch, just a splitter. You switch between input ports the same as you always do, with your TV remote.

Is the DTA audio line out stereo?

#13,485 ·
Is there any lawsuits addressing the required Comcast DTA box that now kills the use of Picture in Picture (PIP) of most TV's, or the ability of many DVR's to access TV guide information for recordings? A decoder or cablecard box would have sufficed. Instead Comcasts desire to monitor the TV shows being watched in households has led to a sub standard device being used.

#13,486 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnfoot /forum/post/16358953

Is there any lawsuits addressing the required Comcast DTA box that now kills the use of Picture in Picture (PIP) of most TV's, or the ability of many DVR's to access TV guide information for recordings? A decoder or cablecard box would have sufficed. Instead Comcasts desire to monitor the TV shows being watched in households has led to a sub standard device being used.

No need for a tinfoil-hat consipracy theory here - it has nothing to do with "monitoring". Comcast picked the *cheapest possible device* they could give away for free, period. Industry articles put Comcast's per-unit cost for the cheapest cablecard-enabled box at >$100, while it's just around $30 for the DTA.

#13,487 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnfoot /forum/post/16358953

I don't think there will be any lawsuits.

Neither a decoder or a cable card box would make any difference. They would still disable your pip function on your tv. I don't know whatDVR you are talking about that is available other than Tivo.

They do use 1 way cable cards that work on Comcast.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a big comcast supporter. The real problem is All the Video service providers trying to control the market with their rental boxes.

Kind of like Ma bell before it got broke up.

Tv manufacturers have shied away from cable cards after they were first introduced because it became a financial burden it created on tech support.

Most of the problem was the cable card manufacturers producing bad cable cards and cable company tech support that wasn't trained on how to activate cards.

#13,488 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 /forum/post/16347239

Darn it, I was wrong. The cheapo digital adapter only has COAX! What a piece of junk. I think you can rent the cheapest digital box, which has the online guide and On Demand for a couple of bucks per month, so that would be worth it.

#13,489 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777 /forum/post/16360539

Darn it, I was wrong. The cheapo digital adapter only has COAX! What a piece of junk. I think you can rent the cheapest digital box, which has the online guide and On Demand for a couple of bucks per month, so that would be worth it.

Don't need On Demand. I just want my local HD and the analog channels they are getting rid of (there are a bunch on digital channel 116 that are receiving a poor signal...cutting out CNN, Travel Channel, and Animal Planet).

They are most likely going to switch me to the digital starter package, which costs the same. I'll have more HD options, but I lose control with changing channels with my TV remote and I have to pay $6.50 per box.

My parents' ReplayTV lasted them 6 years, I believe. If their HD box were to last that long, in 6 year period I'm paying $468 for the life of that product. Comcast's DVR is $15 a month? That's $180 a year, and $1,080 for 6 years.

#13,491 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/16364149

Don't need On Demand. I just want my local HD and the analog channels they are getting rid of (there are a bunch on digital channel 116 that are receiving a poor signal...cutting out CNN, Travel Channel, and Animal Planet).

They are most likely going to switch me to the digital starter package, which costs the same. I'll have more HD options, but I lose control with changing channels with my TV remote and I have to pay $6.50 per box.

My parents' ReplayTV lasted them 6 years, I believe. If their HD box were to last that long, in 6 year period I'm paying $468 for the life of that product. Comcast's DVR is $15 a month? That's $180 a year, and $1,080 for 6 years.

These analog channels are going away. Get over it. The remaining basic analog channels will likely be gone in a couple years, as well.

Killing off these bandwidth-sucking analog channels is long overdue. Each of these analog channels could be providing 2-3 new HD channels, or a couple extra megabits of internet download speed instead.

#13,492 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwt /forum/post/16364300

if you are receiving digital hd channels why do you need a dtv converter

Because I have more than 1 TV, and not all of them are HD TVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimre /forum/post/16364307

These analog channels are going away. Get over it. The remaining basic analog channels will likely be gone in a couple years, as well.

Killing off these bandwidth-sucking analog channels is long overdue. Each of these analog channels could be providing 2-3 new HD channels, or a couple extra megabits of internet download speed instead.

I'm fine with them killing off the analog channels, as long as they aren't trying to bait-and-switch me. I have more than 3 TVs in my house, so I'm going to have to pay more for those extra DTA boxes. Not to mention I have to have extra remotes for every one of those boxes. If I want to be able to get the encrypted HD and the digital channels my QAM tuner is having difficulty receiving with the service that I'm being forced into, I have to pay extra for the privilege of watching something I'm already paying for as part of my service.

You may be okay with that, but I'm not. Is it really too much to ask for choices with Comcast's "innovations"?

#13,493 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppshooky /forum/post/16364750

Because I have more than 1 TV, and not all of them are HD TVs.

I'm fine with them killing off the analog channels, as long as they aren't trying to bait-and-switch me. I have more than 3 TVs in my house, so I'm going to have to pay more for those extra DTA boxes. Not to mention I have to have extra remotes for every one of those boxes. If I want to be able to get the encrypted HD and the digital channels my QAM tuner is having difficulty receiving that I'm being forced into, I have to pay extra for the privilege of watching something I'm already paying for as part of my service.

You may be okay with that, but I'm not. Is it really too much to ask for choices with Comcast's "innovations"?

These digital to analog boxes will not give you the encrypted channels. You need a regular set top box for that and they probably will not improe yoour qam reception. They are intended for converting the signals to an analog set

#13,494 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwt /forum/post/16364883

These digital to analog boxes will not give you the encrypted channels. You need a regular set top box for that and they probably will not improe yoour qam reception. They are intended for converting the signals to an analog set

I understand that. Again, the DTA boxes would be for the TVs in my house that are not HD TVs.

#13,495 ·

Quote:

Is directv an option for you?

You could get a good deal for the first 6 month to a year.

You seem to be stuck on the monthly box charge.

Look at your total cost over x number of years for rental and service.

#13,497 ·

Quote:

I doubt you would be able to continue getting these after the digital switch in your area. I'm assuming these will no longer be viewable even with ClearQAM (like 99% of the other channels offered by Comcast).

Quote:

You will get one advanced digital tuner box (On Demand, Electronic Program Guide, etc.) with 2 DTA boxes for free. Future boxes will cost more. HD & HD-DVR boxes are still rentable for the listed monthly prices.

Quote:

Just think of the capabilities that the Comcast DVR gives you! If the ReplayTV breaks down, you need to wait weeks upon weeks for a new box, with Comcast's DVR, you'd most likely wait about 24 hours from the initial service call.

#13,498 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ppshooky View Post

Just think of the capabilities that the Comcast DVR gives you! If the ReplayTV breaks down, you need to wait weeks upon weeks for a new box, with Comcast's DVR, you'd most likely wait about 24 hours from the initial service call.

Was the last said sarcastically or were you serious?

Why should any box break down?

sam

#13,499 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weil /forum/post/16377482

Was the last said sarcastically or were you serious? Why should any box break down?

sam

I'm on my third Comcast DVR in 4 (5?) years. First one I swapped when a newer model with DVI outputs became available. Second one I swapped when the hard drive failed (probably the most common failure in most DVRs, including several of my old ReplayTVs).

Free replacement - for either hardware failure or technological obsolesence - is a definite advantage of leasing vs buying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.