AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#13,803 ·
The HDHR is an external device, so you don't have to worry about space/power concerns inside your PC. And since it is external, it can be shared between multiple PCs. The software allows "Dynamic Allocation" between PCs... 1st come, 1st serve... if one PC grabs the 1st tuner, another PC has to use the second. (so you don't blow a recording).

Probably the best reason to get a HDHR is the fantastic software support! Silicon Dust is constantly working to keep this product on the cutting edge with support for multiple media center applications.

I have tried many internal tuners before making the switch over a year and a half ago... and never looked back. I first used my HDHR with MCE2005. Silicon Dust software allowed me to use my HDHR for QAM (when no other tuners could). I now use Vista Media Center, and W7 (RC, b7100), and the HDHR continues to work flawlessly!

I have it installed on a 4-port 100Mbit switch by my 2 HTPCs.

"I feed it Comcastic". I have experimented with the OTA ATSC tuners. It is quite good. But in my location, I cannot get the local FOX network, so I went back to using cable. (local networks only, I don't watch/record SDTV!).

You can use multiple HDHRs in your system. 4 channels at once...

#13,805 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy /forum/post/16859588

Have others noticed an abnormal amount of "herring-bone" interference on CBUT today...

I swapped out a cable card yesterday morning and doing a channel check after the pairing I noticed CBUT looked like a sat feed during a sun storm. Looks okay today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weil /forum/post/16861255

661 is now MSNBC HD, 619 is CBUT HD, and 704 is Comedy HD. I have not checked the others in area 65.

Here in Bellevue 661 is live, but it just notes that whatever channel used to be on 661 is now on 685. 619 and 704 jump to VOD Channel 1 on my TivoHD.

#13,806 ·
They are supposed to be here today, I have Digital Preferred on Vashon Island which is on the list, but I don't see anything yet other then Palladia moved last week.

Beginning tomorrow (*the press release was July 20) the new programming will be available to residential homes and businesses in the following communities:

Everett, Brier, Clearview, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, Black Diamond, Covington, Enumclaw, Maple Valley, Pacific, Bonney Lake, Buckley, Carbonado, Eatonville, Graham, Orting, Roy, South Prairie, Wilkeson, Algona, Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, SeaTac, Tukwila,, Edgewood, Fort Lewis, McChord AFB, Parkland, Puyallup, Sumner, Vashon Island, Arlington, Beverly Lane, Goldbar, Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Monroe, Silver Lake, Snohomish,, Startup, Sultan, Woodscreek, Centralia, Chehalis, Lacey, Lewis County, Mason County, Olympia, Rainier, Rochester, Shelton, Tenino, Thurston County, Tumwater and Yelm.

588 TMC West HD

589 TMC Xtra West HD

619 CBUT HD

621 ESPNU HD

630 NBA TV HD

631 NHL Network HD

632 Big Ten Network HD

633 CBS College Sports HD

634 Tennis Channel HD

635 Outdoor Channel HD

661 MSNBC HD

686 CMT HD

687 VH1 HD

688 MTV HD

689 BET HD

700 MGM HD

701 TCM HD

703 Hallmark Movie Channel HD

704 Comedy Central HD

705 Tru TV HD

706 The Weather Channel HD

543 HBO2 West HD

544 HBO Signature West HD

545 HBO Family West HD

546 HBO Latino West HD

547 HBO Comedy West HD

548 HBO Zone West HD

564 MoreMax West HD

571 Showtime Too West HD

572 Showtime Showcase West HD

573 Showtime Extreme West HD

440 iNDemand Team HD

#13,807 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahills /forum/post/16864345

They are supposed to be here today, I have Digital Preferred on Vashon Island which is on the list, but I don't see anything yet other then Palladia moved last week.

Beginning tomorrow (*the press release was July 20) the new programming will be available to residential homes and businesses in the following communities:

I saw a post on another forum ( http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r216...s~start=80#end ) indicating that the additional channels had arrived in Federal Way.

#13,808 ·
got these and a few more in the 650 series in olympia this morning over 100 hd channels now

Quote:

Everett, Brier, Clearview, Lynnwood, Mill Creek, Mountlake Terrace, Mukilteo, Black Diamond, Covington, Enumclaw, Maple Valley, Pacific, Bonney Lake, Buckley, Carbonado, Eatonville, Graham, Orting, Roy, South Prairie, Wilkeson, Algona, Auburn, Burien, Federal Way, Kent, SeaTac, Tukwila,, Edgewood, Fort Lewis, McChord AFB, Parkland, Puyallup, Sumner, Vashon Island, Arlington, Beverly Lane, Goldbar, Granite Falls, Lake Stevens, Marysville, Monroe, Silver Lake, Snohomish,, Startup, Sultan, Woodscreek, Centralia, Chehalis, Lacey, Lewis County, Mason County, Olympia, Rainier, Rochester, Shelton, Tenino, Thurston County, Tumwater and Yelm.

588 TMC West HD

589 TMC Xtra West HD

619 CBUT HD

621 ESPNU HD

630 NBA TV HD

631 NHL Network HD

632 Big Ten Network HD

633 CBS College Sports HD

634 Tennis Channel HD

635 Outdoor Channel HD

661 MSNBC HD

686 CMT HD

687 VH1 HD

688 MTV HD

689 BET HD

700 MGM HD

701 TCM HD

703 Hallmark Movie Channel HD

704 Comedy Central HD

705 Tru TV HD

706 The Weather Channel HD

543 HBO2 West HD

544 HBO Signature West HD

545 HBO Family West HD

546 HBO Latino West HD

547 HBO Comedy West HD

548 HBO Zone West HD

564 MoreMax West HD

571 Showtime Too West HD

572 Showtime Showcase West HD

573 Showtime Extreme West HD

440 iNDemand Team HD

#13,809 ·
#13,811 ·
Does anyone else have problems with channels 703, 704, 705 and 706. These are part of the new HD channels added this moring. I live in olympia and use a Tivo. I get the guide information; however, when I go to watch those channels (especially comedy central) nothing shows up, just a blank screen. I have family in Lacey, and they are able to watch the channels, so I am not sure why I wouldn't be able to get them, unless they are still working on the olympia area. I don't have any problems with any of the other channels that were added (although I can't check some of the sports ones as I don't subscribe to the sports package).

woops... also not getting 686, 687, 688, 689. (and I do subscribe to the digital starter - so i believe i should be getting them).

#13,813 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 /forum/post/16867683

For the past 2 weeks or so, my DVR has been horrible at recognizing repeats. I have all the series recordings set to only record new episodes, but I'm getting tons of re-runs. It's even recording things that say repeat in the description.

I have had a lot of problems with extra recordings, but my DVR has not recorded any shows actually marked as being repeats.

I read on another thread that the company that supplies guide info to Comcast has been having problems with the data they are sending and that it's supposed to be fixed soon.

#13,814 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeck77 /forum/post/16867683

For the past 2 weeks or so, my DVR has been horrible at recognizing repeats. I have all the series recordings set to only record new episodes, but I'm getting tons of re-runs. It's even recording things that say repeat in the description.

Apparently there's been some change made in the listings that's messed up the handling of series recordings. A remedy is reportedly in work.

#13,815 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarm /forum/post/16860997

The HDHR is an external device, so you don't have to worry about space/power concerns inside your PC. And since it is external, it can be shared between multiple PCs. The software allows "Dynamic Allocation" between PCs... 1st come, 1st serve... if one PC grabs the 1st tuner, another PC has to use the second. (so you don't blow a recording).

Probably the best reason to get a HDHR is the fantastic software support! Silicon Dust is constantly working to keep this product on the cutting edge with support for multiple media center applications.

I have tried many internal tuners before making the switch over a year and a half ago... and never looked back. I first used my HDHR with MCE2005. Silicon Dust software allowed me to use my HDHR for QAM (when no other tuners could). I now use Vista Media Center, and W7 (RC, b7100), and the HDHR continues to work flawlessly!

I have it installed on a 4-port 100Mbit switch by my 2 HTPCs.

"I feed it Comcastic". I have experimented with the OTA ATSC tuners. It is quite good. But in my location, I cannot get the local FOX network, so I went back to using cable. (local networks only, I don't watch/record SDTV!).

You can use multiple HDHRs in your system. 4 channels at once...

Thank you for taking the time to explain the benefit of the HDHR. I have a few followup questions.

First, by using an external tuner is another benefit that you can remove another heat source from inside the box?

Second, I don't know what you mean when you say ". . . I don't watch/record SDTV!"

Third, I need to get an Internet connection to my planned HTPC. I would like to install a draft-N wireless card (if those exist) Is there a simpler suggestion? I don't have an Ethernet cable running to where our TV are located. How do you personally get an Internet connection to your HDHR?

Fourth, you extol the benefits of the HDHR. What are the key drawbacks/limitations?

#13,816 ·
Maybe I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/16868203

Thank you for taking the time to explain the benefit of the HDHR. I have a few followup questions.

First, by using an external tuner is another benefit that you can remove another heat source from inside the box?

Yes.
Quote:
Second, I don't know what you mean when you say ". . . I don't watch/record SDTV!"

I assume this Just means he only watches HDTV channels, no SD channels.
Quote:
Third, I need to get an Internet connection to my planned HTPC. I would like to install a draft-N wireless card (if those exist) Is there a simpler suggestion? I don't have an Ethernet cable running to where our TV are located. How do you personally get an Internet connection to your HDHR?

You can get a wireless N card for your computer. But you need to be running a wireless N network (have a wireless N router/access point or adapter). Other options to get a network connection to your HTPC without running cat 5/6 cable is a wireless game adapter or a powerline adapter.

I don't think the HDHR needs an internet connection. It needs a network connection to the computer that will be viewing from it. So it needs to be on your LAN (but most people's LANs are connected to the Internet). You may want to put the HDhomerun on the same switch as as the HTPC that will use it (if there is just one).
Quote:
Fourth, you extol the benefits of the HDHR. What are the key drawbacks/limitations?

It really does what it supposed to do from what I've heard, so from that perspective there are no cons. However, it needs a network connection with enough bandwidth to support streaming the signals to the PC, and it is on the pricier side - I have 5 QAM/ATSC capable tuner cards and no two of them cost as much as the HDhomerun.

#13,817 ·
I'm back to answer your HDHR questions.

#1 - Not having an internal tuner means less load on your Power Supply and less internal heat (before I got the HDHR, I used an Aver HD160 PCIe TV tuner card that generated quite a bit of heat!).

#2 - Homey don't do SDTV! HD snob here...

#3 - The HDHR doesn't require an internet connection. But you DO need a way to get the "guide info". (I was considering cutting my broadband internet to save $$$. You can connect the HDHR to your PC's network port directly, no crossover cable needed.) Then use dial-up for the guide updates.

#4 - VERY reliable unit. Great software. The only thing that would/could make it better is if the next generation HDHR had tru2way support!

#13,820 ·

Quote:

Just my luck - the communities surrounding mine get the update, but we don't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.