AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#13,824 ·
Olympia has all the new HD channels now.

Does everyone so far like the new DCX3400 DVR? I heard it has a different remote, how does it compare to the old one? Is it as programmable/hackable?

Is the only real difference between the DCX3400 and the old DVR the size of the hard drive?

Watched Daily Show on the HD signal last night. Even though it's not filmed in HD, the difference was staggering. Also, I noted that Comedy Central HD broadcasts a half-hour earlier... weird.

#13,825 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate /forum/post/16874909

Olympia has all the new HD channels now.

Watched Daily Show on the HD signal last night. Even though it's not filmed in HD, the difference was staggering. Also, I noted that Comedy Central HD broadcasts a half-hour earlier... weird.

I also watched the Daily Show at 8PM on 704 and it is on east coast time. Thus, channel 60 aired that show at 11PM.

sam

#13,827 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfisher76 /forum/post/16866389

I get the guide information; however, when I go to watch those channels (especially comedy central) nothing shows up, just a blank screen.

From what I have seen TiVo includes the channels in the lineup if anyone in your same zip code gets the channels, they don't distinguish as much as the cable company does with the specific guide information per customer.

Or you may need to have the card validated and/or paired again. A quick call either way should clear it up.

cm

#13,828 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdagrate /forum/post/16874909

Does everyone so far like the new DCX3400 DVR? I heard it has a different remote, how does it compare to the old one? Is it as programmable/hackable?

Is the only real difference between the DCX3400 and the old DVR the size of the hard drive?

I like it, traded in my 6412 for one. Big difference in the drive space (more than double now that it's at 250 gb). Smaller footprint on the shelf, black case, but the time display is now my new nightlight. If you have trouble sleeping having this in the bedroom will not help.

The remote is one of the new energy-effecient ones so they won't work on the older boxes, and the old remote did not work on the new box right away but then started working randomly. I guess the boxes are backwards compatible that way. Can't program the 30-second skip either that I have seen, it may be a different code now.

#13,829 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMorn2374 /forum/post/16879218

Can't program the 30-second skip either that I have seen, it may be a different code now.

That would be a deal breaker for me. On another site there was a post from someone who thinks the 30sec skip can be programmed by the following:

"I have not tested this, nor even see the remote or DX converters, but I'm told this works with

the new Moto DX remotes (YMMV):

1) Select Aux

2) Hold setup 2 flashes

3) type 01376 2 flashes

1) Select Aux button

2) Hold SETUP, 2 flashes

3) Type 994, 2 flashes

4) Tap SETUP

4) Enter the 00173

5) Tap the button to be programmed, 2 flashes"

If anyone gives this try and it works, I'm off to see if I can get one of these puppies.

#13,831 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 /forum/post/16888650

Looks like I lost all the analog over 30 today in Sammamish, and Pastiche's list is out of date...help!

Unfortunately, I can't really do anything to update it right now, becuase I'm in the city, and we're still on the old lineup in its entirety. Sorry.

Here's what I do know, change-wise: the "expanded basic" MUXes seem to be duplicated on 34-X (from 91), 35-X (from 92), 36-X (from 102), 37-X (from 103), and 38-X (from 116.)

I would suggest keeping an eye on the HDHR support site at http://www.silicondust.com and clicking on "Resources", then "TV Channels". The channel labels and virtual channels entered tend not to be entirely accurate, BUT the transport channels "are what they are", and you can often properly identify a channel by the adjacent screen captures.

#13,833 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastiche /forum/post/16890610

Here's what I do know, change-wise: the "expanded basic" MUXes seem to be duplicated on 34-X (from 91), 35-X (from 92), 36-X (from 102), 37-X (from 103), and 38-X (from 116.)

That is consistent with what I have found ...and maybe when we get back from vacation in a week, there will be more hi-def, as one of our TVs has a cable card

#13,834 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/16890644

1. What is the cheapest package called if you in order to get the local channels in high def + Basic Cable (in SD)?

2. What is the cost per month of the Comcast DVR that allows you to record on the 250GB recorder?

If you do not have a QAM tuner on your tv, then Digital Starter with an HD non-dvr box is required. Otherwise, it would be basic cable (I think.)

I have no idea about the rental cost of the 250GB dvr.

sam

#13,835 ·

Quote:
If you do not have a QAM tuner on your tv, then Digital Starter with an HD non-dvr box is required. Otherwise, it would be basic cable (I think.)

Hmm. Does this mean that if I have a QAM tuner (such as HDHomerun) I can lower my cable bill? Do you know whether that will work to pick up VOD?

Anyone know whether the DCX3400 will be reserved for customers with an HD-DVR service ($15.95 per month)? As I understand it, there is a DVR service that only records in SD for $8.95 per month that only records about 60 hours.

#13,836 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/16891291

Hmm. Does this mean that if I have a QAM tuner (such as HDHomerun) I can lower my cable bill? Do you know whether that will work to pick up VOD?

Anyone know whether the DCX3400 will be reserved for customers with an HD-DVR service ($15.95 per month)? As I understand it, there is a DVR service that only records in SD for $8.95 per month that only records about 60 hours.

No VOD with QAM tuner only.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.