AVS Forum banner

Seattle, WA - Comcast

2M views 16K replies 1K participants last post by  LHenton 
#1 ·
I officially have no new news! However, I wanted to have a thread that I could subscribe to. After Ken took away our little "ATT advertising HDTV" thread, I felt that we needed a new little home to gripe and whine about the fact that Comcast still isn't delivering locals.

I will try to get Ken to send out a note to those subscribed to the other thread.

Cheers,

Steve

#14,241 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 /forum/post/17306424

Playing with my Comcast Box (no DVR) last night, I noticed it had an on screen menu with an "R" option to record via timer to a VHS, and I also assume to a DVD-R. If my understanding is correct, I can use the onscreen TV-Guide, and up to 3 days ahead select the program, and the STB will automatically turn to that station, so if I have my DVD-R set to record at that time (either from Channel 3, or line in source, I forget how mine is wired), it should record any channel just fine? Will this function also turn on the STB at the correct time if I normally keep it off? What about changing channels if I select multiple programs? Seems like I still can use my analog tuning DVD-R to record rather than rent a DVR, albeit a bit more complex....

Yes. I just noticed that yesterday and it worked ok for me. I marked a program for recording and then turned the Motorola top box off. Then it automatically turned on with the right channel at that time. Only downside is that it turns on exactly when the program starts so potentially you could lose few seconds of the beginning.

I use a splitter and for channels 1-29 I use regular antenna input for timer recording. For channels higher I mark the program with the Motorola and then on the DVD recorder I choose line input which comes from the Motorola box.

#14,242 ·
I had to swap out my DVR and Comcast replaced it with the new DCX3400

It came with a new remote and I had to figure out how to program the 30 second skip again. This may have been posted before but I thought it would be worth posting again.

Quote:
I would like to thank vickyg2003 a forum regular over at JP1 Remotes as well as Rob for directing me to the forums.

1)Select Aux

2) Hold setup 2 flashes

3) type 01376 2 flashes

1) select Aux button

2) Hold SETUP, 2 flashes

3) Type 994, 2 flashes

4) Tap SETUP

4) Enter the EFC 00173

5) Tap the button to be programmed [Cable][triangle], 2 flashes

Make sure on step 5 you hit cable button first before the triangle button. Again all credit goes to vicky over at JP1. Here is the original post

Now if I could figure out how to dim the digital display. It is really bright

#14,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by egilmour /forum/post/17310558

Does anyone know if Comcast is planning on providing TBS-HD for the MLB playoffs? If so, what channel?

I'd love to know the answer to this too, but I'd bet almost anything the answer is no. This is the third year the playoffs have been on TBS. It's especially annoying because just the other day, I saw an ad for the playoffs, "on TBS HD with Comcast," and yet the actual channel is nowhere to be seen. Thanks for nothing Comcast. It's Comcastic!

#14,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by peartree /forum/post/17314278

I'd love to know the answer to this too, but I'd bet almost anything the answer is no. This is the third year the playoffs have been on TBS. It's especially annoying because just the other day, I saw an ad for the playoffs, "on TBS HD with Comcast," and yet the actual channel is nowhere to be seen. Thanks for nothing Comcast. It's Comcastic!

Unless I'm missing something, TBS is only available here (Seattle - 98103) in SD (on 55). Supposedly, TBS HD will eventually be available on 664 - but probably not until after the playoffs are over, by which time no one will be interested in it anymore. Comcastic indeed...

#14,247 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 /forum/post/17314533

Unless I'm missing something, TBS is only available here (Seattle - 98103) in SD (on 55). Supposedly, TBS HD will eventually be available on 664 - but probably not until after the playoffs are over, by which time no one will be interested in it anymore. Comcastic indeed...

I'm getting 664 right now. Federal Way area.

#14,249 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefalcon2k /forum/post/17316747

Does anybody have any idea if there's a DVR that allows external hard drives? I know the Motorola 6416 has that eSATA connection, but does it work?

No, the eSATA port does not work - likewise, USB. The Guide software does not support external drives.

AFAIK, only the Tivo supports an external drive. The Cisco/Scientific Atlanta 8300 may, but I don't think Comcast uses that box in this area.

I have read that the Motorola DVRs may never support external drives because of encryption requirements that the MPAA and other content providers insist on.

#14,253 ·
I've noticed that my signal strength has dropped about 10% in the last few weeks. Comcast is coming out this afternoon to poke at it.

I've seen 'termination caps' for unused coax outlets for sale at places like Radio Shack. We've got cable TV coax spread throughout our house, but we're only using one outlet; hence we've got a lot of unnecessary splitters potentially degrading the signal. Would those caps actually do anything useful for my signal strength, or are they just decorative? Has anyone else had experience with them?

Thanks for all your effusive advice!

#14,255 ·
Wow! That's making me wonder about those external hard drives now! Like I said before, I keep an eye on this blog for some friends (because I can understand what you guys are saying ... thanks, by the way).

My cable company (Wave Broadband) apparently has a new digital converter coming out in 2010 that will allow the use of external hard drives via USB. How? I don't know. But, that's why I was asking ... mainly for a friend. Thanks again.

#14,257 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdeep /forum/post/17330394

Back with Comcast after year of Fios. Comcast gave me better deal plus it is good to see Comcast is adding whole bunch of HD channels.

Is there ETA when all channels will be added?

Depends on where you live. I'm in Sammamish and we got them a few months back. Supposedly all of the Seattle region by end of year i think.

#14,259 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasG /forum/post/17331088

Is there any truth to the stories of asking each company for the 'retention' department to get deals from either - just for threatening to switch providers?

A guy from the Comcast "survey team" told me to do just that when he knocked on my door about 10 days ago. They have some sort of outreach program to try and stem the tide of exiting customers. I have been too busy lately to talk to the Retention Dept. but may get to it soon.

#14,260 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque /forum/post/17331319

A guy from the Comcast "survey team" told me to do just that when he knocked on my door about 10 days ago.

Since my TV was under my roomate's name and Internet was under mine (Comcast Internet came a few years later) the "survey team" were able to consolidate the two under my name by canceling the cable tv and restarting bundled service with my Internet on a special six-month deal at half-off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.