Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 3756 Old 06-26-2006, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdspencer View Post

I would first start with your local cable company. If they need to boost your signal in order to get a good picture, then they should do just that. Afterall, that's what you are paying them for.

After 3 visits from the TWC technicians failed to correct my blurry picture I was all set to call panasonic. I had ordered the HDMI cables from monoprice but was under the impression that there would be no difference in the picture (that is what is commonly posted in these forums). When they arrived I connected them and oh boy! Finally hi-def. The picture is incredible; I just cannot belive the difference. Watching the World Cup now is like watching a different sport. I even watched a college baseball game the other night just because of the colors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 3756 Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I have read on the TiVo Community forum for the HDTiVo that HDMI cables aren't all created equal and that HDMI connections from the box aren't either. I'm surprised (not really) that the TWC techs didn't know that.
post #543 of 3756 Old 07-04-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed tonight that ch 40-2 now has the channel bug for My Network. I thought this wasn't being launched until September. It doesn't really matter, except that the channel bug is very large and bright. UGLY comes to mind. It doesn't look like the actual programming has changed yet from when it was UPN labelled. Maybe they are only experimenting.

The brightness of the logo has been reduced. It's still large and ugly, however.
post #544 of 3756 Old 07-17-2006, 01:04 AM

Why bother with these local stations and cable when all you need is a HD FTA satellite receiver. I just saw one on Ebay or you can buy new ones.
There is more to watch than any of the pay services give you.
And you will find the networks.
post #545 of 3756 Old 07-17-2006, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have been thinking about FTA. As it gets closer to fall, I'll revisit it again.
post #546 of 3756 Old 07-20-2006, 07:01 AM

I wrote a letter to our local CBS in Binghamton (WBNG) and never heard back. I called last week and never heard back. I sent off another letter to them today.

I'm glad to see at least one other person has had success getting a waver I just wish I would. I hate paying TW to get the local channels.

I live in Sunrise Terrace and can't get a signal at all and have a waver for all the other stations. My TW signal is junk. I actually went a year without any cable except the locals because the signal is so bad. I have had different tech's tell me they can't fix it without re-wiring the entier neighborhood which they refuse to do. It's no wonder I hate TW.

I'm happy with my Dish TV I just want CBS out of NY.
post #547 of 3756 Old 07-20-2006, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My analog signal here in Chenango Bridge is awful, yet I can get a decent digital signal. I have DirecTV with the HR10-250 DVR which has the ATSC digital tuner. My guess is the you should be able to get our locals OTA digitally in Sunrise Terrace. The problem is that we don't have broadcast versions of NBC, UPN (now My Network), or WB (CW). Well, UPN does use a subchannel of Fox 40). I also have Dish Network for the Superstation Pack. I wonder what will happen to those once the merger of WB and UPN takes place and My Network takes over some of those stations?

You may also want to look into FTA (Free To Air) reception.
post #548 of 3756 Old 07-24-2006, 08:59 AM

I'd be happy if my signal were awful! I'm lucky to get ghosts. The hill blocks the signals. If they grant me CBS I'm all set and I'll probably upgrade my dish to the HD in which case I should get CBS HD as well as the others and I plan on buying an ND LCD for our bedroom by the end of the year (money permitting). I pay for ABC, NBC & Fox right now because they granted wavers to anyone were I live!!!

I could care less about the local news ect.

I'll let you know what they say.
post #549 of 3756 Old 08-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Saw this and thought some of you would find it interesting:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060726/nyw148.html?.v=58

Don't know what this means for the potential of HDTV but gotta up the chances.
post #550 of 3756 Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that info. Now we wait and see what good comes from it. It has to be better than what we have now. I find WBNGDT SD PQ to be not good.
post #551 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 05:47 AM

I was denied my waver yesterday. I'll have to go get an antenna and try it out. If the signal is poor I may have a case but then I have to disconect my TW Cable for the locals and wait 90 days. I'll only do that if I know I could get the waver.

I just love how they screw the consumer with the stupid laws.
post #552 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneezyKevinA View Post

I was denied my waver yesterday.

Who denied you the waiver, CBS? If so, maybe thats good news and means that have HD planned in the near future?
post #553 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneezyKevinA View Post

I was denied my waver yesterday. I'll have to go get an antenna and try it out. If the signal is poor I may have a case but then I have to disconect my TW Cable for the locals and wait 90 days. I'll only do that if I know I could get the waver.

I just love how they screw the consumer with the stupid laws.

One thing to remember is that their digital signal may be received better than analog. Multipath not withstanding. Analog WBNG is of course using ch 12, but their digital is ch 7. For me I got a very consistant digital signal whereas the analog is awful. However, the PQ isn't good, but that's the station not the reception in this case. You do have an ATSC digital tuner to try for our digital locals, right?

BTW, where are you in the Binghamton area?

I agree that the laws are stupid as they are there to protect the revenue for the stations and not to benefit the viewer. In my opinion, if I'm able to pay for a station I should be able to get it from whatever source there is.
post #554 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 AM

I'm in Sunrise Terrace. I plan on getting an antenna today, I just don't know what ot get. The other issue is if I get a digital signal can I record shows with my dish tv dvr? That's my main issue is wanting to record stuff. I want to drop TW for my local's so I can get rid of my repaly tv. I hate having the extra equipment.

-Edit, I have the Dish DVR-625 right now.
post #555 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Our local digital stations transmit on frequencies 4 (Fox), 7 (CBS), 8 (ABC), and 42 (PBS), so you'll need a VHF/UHF antenna if you want PBS. If you don't have a Digital Tuner (ATSC) then you won't be able to tell how well you get the stations. Is you Dish DVR capable of OTA digital? If not, then you won't be able to record them. What model is it? I see you answered that while I was typiong my reply.

You may want to visit this forum http://www.dbstalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92 for Dish Network info.

Also, go to http://antennaweb.org to see info on reception.
post #556 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 AM

I'm really only interested in WBNG (CBS). I don't watch PBS and get the others via waver oout of NYC.

I'm fairly sure that I can hook up an external antenna to my DVR.
post #557 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Is that Dish receiver an HD one? I'm a DirecTV customer and am not up on the various Dish receivers. I do have a dish 301 for the superstation only.

Anyway, you need to check that receiver to verify it can receive analog and or digital OTA. In Sunrise Terrace you might be able to get by with an indoor antenna mounted in your attic. It looks like you are about 6+ miles from the towers, all in basically the same direction (about 210 degrees). I don't know what might be in your way (hills?).

Using info from your web site registration it seems you are even closer to the towers (5 miles). But, it looks like Ely Hill is in your way.

P.S. I like your flood photos.
post #558 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 08:15 AM

my current reciever is not HD. It does look like the HD one will record *some* ota broadcasts but there is no telling if it iwll work or not until I get it setup.

I'll try and call dish when I get home from work to see if it's possible with my current one or If I have to upgrade to HD.

Otherwise i'm SOL and will have to continue the way we do now.

I do intend on replying to WBNG's letter to me. I still blame TW for this because they have told me they will not re-wire our neighborhood to try and fix everyone's signal! So TW is doing the local stations a disservice by not repairing the lines. The only reason I went Dish to beginwith is TW can't provide me a decent analog or digital signal.

I'll let you know what Dish says.
post #559 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Is that Dish receiver an HD one? I'm a DirecTV customer and am not up on the various Dish receivers. I do have a dish 301 for the superstation only.

Anyway, you need to check that receiver to verify it can receive analog and or digital OTA. In Sunrise Terrace you might be able to get by with an indoor antenna mounted in your attic. It looks like you are about 6+ miles from the towers, all in basically the same direction (about 210 degrees). I don't know what might be in your way (hills?).

Using info from your web site registration it seems you are even closer to the towers (5 miles). But, it looks like Ely Hill is in your way.

P.S. I like your flood photos.

That is my main problem.....the stupid hill! I'm lucky to get 4 FM radio stations in my house so I went with XM and whole house audio!

Glad you like the pics.
post #560 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't dispair. I have Crocker Hill in between me and the towers. Only 9+ miles away and had to put up a big honkin' antenna on the roof. I'm using the DirecTV HD DVR (HR10-250) for both DirecTV HD and the OTA HD (such as it is). It looks like you might be up a hill, which might help. I have a smaller Channel Master 3016 antenna if you might want to give it a try. It didn't quite work for me, thus the larger Winegard.

BTW, the waivers you do have are for the SD versions, right? I have waivers for all nets east and west in SD and the east coast HD ones. The reason I got the antenna was so that I hopefully can get WB (soon to be CW) and UPN (now MyNetwork) since they aren't available with DirecTV. Thus the need for Dish Superstations, which I'd like to drop to save a few bucks.

MYNetwork is a subchannel piggybacked on Fox 40 and I'm hoping that WBNG will do the same for The CW. Currently, The WB is cable only and The CW may be the same. I'm hoping that with Granite Broadcasting buying WBNG that might change.
post #561 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 08:58 AM

yes my wavers are for the SD. If I upgrade to the HD box, I'm sure I'll get the waver for those in HD as well.

I would love to try that antenna.
post #562 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

PM me and we can set up a time.

BTW, I found myself going to Binghamton and took a detour to your place. Dang, that hill is close. I noticed your Dish and assuming it points to the 119 sat (az=244) then you have an azimuth to the left for the OTA Towers (210). That 30 degrees might make it possible.
post #563 of 3756 Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 AM

Houses 2 streets down can get most local channels. The hill is a real killer. Before I had the dish installed they came out and said they could do it as long as it went on the side of the house by the garage. I don't know where it really is pointing!

PM on it's way.
post #564 of 3756 Old 08-05-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Kevin,
I'm curious as to how you made out with the antenna?
post #565 of 3756 Old 08-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Kevin,
I'm curious as to how you made out with the antenna?

I put it in the ground near my greenhouse and the pictures was awful. better than years ago but still to fuzzy. I'm going to put it up on the house tomorrow and I'll have to get a digital box for it. radio shack does not have any.

I'll let you know when I get the digital box.
post #566 of 3756 Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Try it somewhere in your front lawn away from the house and trees. If I remember, your greenhouse is pretty close to a whole bunch of trees. But, the house roof is better. Try it there with analog channels before getting an ATSC tuner.

BTW, the Dish Network 811 receiver can tune ATSC signals (but it isn't a DVR).
post #567 of 3756 Old 08-09-2006, 05:24 PM

I put the antenna up on my house and the reception was not any better. I plan on calling Joe Macnamara at WBNG tomorrow to see what I shoul do next.

The problem with the new TV's is you can't really adjust reception like the old ones!
post #568 of 3756 Old 08-09-2006, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

If you can get your hands on an ATSC tuner it would be interesting to see how digital reception might work.
post #569 of 3756 Old 08-10-2006, 12:39 PM

I caled but Joe has left the station. They transfered me to enginering and had to leave a message again.

I'm farily certain the dish box I have decode digital. If I get a chance tonight I'll try and hook it up.
post #570 of 3756 Old 08-10-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't heard from Mike (chief engineer yet either). Maybe he has also left, maybe due to the new management?

Keep me informed as to how things work out, either on the forum here or by phone.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page