Binghamton / Elmira, NY - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 3757 Old 01-13-2004, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interesting notes. I haven't heard anything from WBNG yet.

Unfortunately, TWC isn't going to help me. I use DirecTV, so if WBNG can't get up in time for the Super Bowl, I'm hoping that I can at least get a waiver in the meantime.

[holding breath]
Whew!
[/holding breath]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3757 Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I received the following letter from the general manager at WBNG today.

----------------
Station WBNG-TV hereby states that at present it does not object to your reception of satellite-delivered CBS programming at the address listed above. This statement of non-objection applies to satellite service to you at the address listed above.

(Because station coverage areas sometimes overlap, there may be another CBS station that delivers an over-the-air signal to your household. Our statement of non-objection does not waive any rights that any other station may have to object to your reception of satellite-delivered CBS programming. Your satellite carrier can tell you whether other stations have rights with respect to satellite delivery of CBS programming to your home.)

Nothing in this letter constitutes an acknowledgment that delivery of CBS programming to your home is lawful under the Copyright Act. Station WBNG-TV reserves the right to withdraw this statement on non-objection at any time in its own discretion.

Joseph P. McNamara
General Manager

----------------------

Now I need to call DirecTV to see if they will accept this letter from instead of the station.

I'll post the results from that phone call.

Well, I just made a fool of myself with DirecTV. I called about getting CBS activated and the CSR told me that it had been added yesterday. So DirecTV must have gotten a letter from WBNG before I did. I should have thought about tuning in or checking on the website. Oh well, now we just need CBS-HD to become active. Let's hope there aren't any roadblocks for that.
post #33 of 3757 Old 01-14-2004, 01:22 PM

Nice work and best of luck.

Based on your understanding of the waiver, does it apply to only you or can other satellite subscribers in our area take of advantage of the waiver?
post #34 of 3757 Old 01-14-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The way the letter was worded, I'd have to say that it was only directed for me. They mentioned it several times in the letter, "at the address listed above" twice and "delivery of CBS programming to your home" twice.
I would call DirecTV and ask if a waiver has been put into place for the whole region. I kind of doubt it, however. But, there's no harm in trying. Just leave my name out of it.

You mention TWC in your posts, so I can only assume that TWC is your primary source. Getting DirecTV and the waiver set up in 17-18 days could be a bit difficult.
post #35 of 3757 Old 01-15-2004, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I received the following email from the chief engineer at WBNG.

----------
At this point we are broadcasting in only DTV Digital Channel 7
WBNG has no firm plans to go to HDTV in 2004.
I have seen the HDTV signal that CBS sends us and it is
Incredible but corporate and the powers to be have not
Given any possible dates to go to HDTV yet.

Regards
Michael Calkins
Chief Engineer WBNG TV 12
----------

Now I know why they decided to give me the waiver. I guess they feel that this area doesn't have enough potential HD viewers to make the cost worthwhile. So they just went with the minimum requirements to be broadcasting in DTV.
post #36 of 3757 Old 01-15-2004, 01:58 PM

I also got the same letter from Calkins today.

Gosh, I would love to get my hands on an HDTV receiver and an amplified antenna. I live on top of a hill at about 1400 ft ASL which is also about the same altitude as the foot of the Syracuse antennas on Sentinel Heights in Nedrow. My distance to the antenna farm is 62 miles and the antenna height is 900 ft. According to some calculators I found, the line of sight to my altitude is around 36 miles. I would test it, but I don't want to spend $300 to $700 or more to do the experiment and there is no guarantee the WTVH-DT will be up by the end of the month.
post #37 of 3757 Old 01-15-2004, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

So now I'm sitting here with an antenna which is really only good for WIVT (ABC). The only local that is broadcasting any HD content.

I have about 10 days to determine if I'll return it to Radio Shack.
post #38 of 3757 Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I have decided to exchange my large Radio Shack antenna for a smaller one. I don't need the extreme fringe version, as I don't plan to try for Syracuse now that the waiver has been granted.

Also, I emailed WBNG again asking if they plan to use a sub-channel for WBXI since they aren't going to need all of their bandwidth for HD in the near future. As Binghamtonians know, WBXI is our cable-only WB station which WBNG has started up with TWC. But, that's probably a good reason why they won't put it on a sub-channel.
post #39 of 3757 Old 01-17-2004, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Even if they were doing HD they could still do WBXI on a 480i subchannel without hurting the primary signal too much. But if they decided to do a weather subchannel in addition I'd try and get them to shut off the WBXI if I were y'all because it'd damage the HD too much.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #40 of 3757 Old 01-17-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, since WBNG isn't planning HD any time soon according to the email I got from the chief engineer I can only hope they do provide WBXI in any form.

Anyway, I took the too large antenna back to Radio Shack as I now have no reason for the ultra fringe trying for Syracuse. I then picked up a much smaller Channel Master to see how it would work. Well, with it I still get digital channels 4, 7, and 8. I lost 42 which is my PBS affiliate, no real loss there. And for those of you who are upset about that statement, I still get the national PBS feed from DirecTV.

Next step after the Super Bowl, is to dump TWC altogether.
post #41 of 3757 Old 01-18-2004, 04:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdspencer
digital channels 4, 7, and 8. I lost 42 which is my PBS affiliate, no real loss there. And for those of you who are upset about that statement, I still get the national PBS feed from DirecTV.

PBS National is in HD on satellite? I didn't know that.

Besides, what do you mean, 'No big loss'? Eventually, PBS will be one of your best sources of HD material, if they choose to do HD material.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #42 of 3757 Old 01-18-2004, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

No, I didn't mean to infer that PBS is in HD. Just that I can get it from DirecTV so the local one isn't all that important now. I'll cross the PBS HD bridge when they build it. And, if they choose is a very important point.
post #43 of 3757 Old 01-20-2004, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I received a postcard today from DirecTV that verified that I now have waivers for all of the major networks. Just waiting for CBS-HD now.
post #44 of 3757 Old 01-20-2004, 02:28 PM

Did you request a waiver for each network or did they just give it to you?
post #45 of 3757 Old 01-20-2004, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Previously I had asked a CSR at DirecTV what waivers were in place. She said that I could get ABC, NBC, and Fox at that time. So I got them then. Then I got a letter from DirecTV which indicated which waivers were granted and that CBS had denied it. This time my emails to WBNG must have prompted WBNG to send a letter to DirecTV in favor of granting a waiver. Today I received a postcard from DirecTV indicating all four waivers. So to answer your question, I'm not real sure of what sequence happened this time. The normal way is to call DirecTV and have them request a waiver of the locals and then wait up to 45 days for an answer. This time it was different. Probably because I was making a pest of myself with all of the emails asking about HD. My first email to WBNG was 12/11, the last 1/16. Then a couple days after that last one, I got a letter from WBNG stating that they had granted my waiver. I called DirecTV to activate CBS and that's when I found out that DirecTV had already done that the day before. Then today the postcard.
post #46 of 3757 Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, it's time for the other two Binghamtonians to check in here.

And, are there any others? Probably not, since our HD selection is just one station.

What's your HD status? What provider are you using?
post #47 of 3757 Old 01-24-2004, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

abramsky:

That's an interesting exchange that you had with TWC. I don't see anything in TWC's HD lineup that would prompt me to go back with them. Other than the basic 2-13 that I get from them for the locals. And, that will be going away next month. I'm currently watching the Bob Hope Golf Classic on ABC (WIVTDT) which from ABC is 720p, I suspect that it is really an upconversion from 480i and is in 4:3 aspect ratio. The picture is really good, better than ABC on TWC.

You may want to consider going with DirecTV. Although it would probably depend on whether you can get waivers from the networks to get the Distant Network feeds.
post #48 of 3757 Old 01-24-2004, 06:10 PM

Hi folks, feel free to stop by www.rochesterhdtv.com for upstate ny hdtv related stuff.

post #49 of 3757 Old 01-25-2004, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I read the interview, what there was of it, with the chief engineer at WROC. I wonder how he sleeps at night spouting the corporate line like that. And, stating that they don't grant waivers because DirecTV will be providing locals later doesn't address the lack of HD. As I've stated above, our local did grant me a waiver to receive CBS from DirecTV, SD and HD. They previously declined, but relented after I pestered them enough about not getting HD in place in time for the Super Bowl.
post #50 of 3757 Old 01-30-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Not really related to HDTV from Binghamton stations, but I will be watching the Super Bowl this Sunday via DirecTV. As you know from my previous posts, I got the waiver from WBNG and today DirecTV turned on their CBS HD feeds. I get both coasts.
post #51 of 3757 Old 02-02-2004, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, to all of the Binghamtonians who have been here. How was the Super Bowl for you? It was just fine for me on DirecTV. Many thanks to WBNG for doing the right thing by me and granting a waiver. I hope that they can get it together and get their HD feed running.

What HD does Binghamton TWC now have?
post #52 of 3757 Old 02-02-2004, 10:09 PM

Glad to hear of your success with CBS and D*.

My source at TWC tells me that WIVT will be able to provide an ABC HD signal to TWC and will also provide a cable only NBC HD feed to TWC. They think WBNG will be live in HD in about 6 months. We'll just have to wait and see.

Other HD programming on TWC includes HBO-HD, Showtime-HD, Discovery-HD, INHD, INHD2, HDNET & HDNET-Movies.
post #53 of 3757 Old 02-03-2004, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Too bad about the cable only NBC HD feed. But, then that's all we have now is a cable only NBC feed. And, that is really just WETM from Elmira with WIVT news.

With DirecTV I don't get the INHD feeds. My understanding is that those are cable only feeds. The others you mentioned I get with DirecTV.

I won't hold my breath too long waiting for WBNG HD.
post #54 of 3757 Old 02-04-2004, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm wondering what OTA antenna people are using here in the Greater Binghamton area to receive our local digital stations? And whether you are also receiving any out of town DTV signals?

And, to jonw, maybe you could add Binghamton to your website. Or are we too backward at the moment.
post #55 of 3757 Old 02-07-2004, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

For the Binghamtonians and other upstate members as well.
Please vist http://www.rochesterhdtv.com.
They added a thread about the state of HD in Binghamton.
post #56 of 3757 Old 02-21-2004, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

No additional info available about HD content in Binghamton. Just wanted to keep this thread a bit more visible.
post #57 of 3757 Old 03-04-2004, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's an interesting development concerning WIVT-DT. The station is broadcasting on digital channel 4. When I used my HTL-HD to scan this channel is originally came back with 34-1 as the channel number. My understanding is that there is info on the digital stream that makes it show up as its analog channel number - x. Okay, fine. However, today I entered 34-1 on my HTL-HD and it now displays 4-2. I assume that the PSIP info is doing this.
post #58 of 3757 Old 03-20-2004, 05:38 PM

Been out of town awhile.

Here is the latest TWC HD lineup for Binghamton that will be effective 4/1/04

703 WIVT-DT*
705 Discovery HD Theater*
710 HBO HD**
711 Showtime HD**
715 INHD
716 INHD2
717 HDNet
718 HDNet Movies

* Included with HD converter box
** Premium subscription required
Non * $4.95/mo starting 4/1/04
post #59 of 3757 Old 03-21-2004, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jdspencer
Here's an interesting development concerning WIVT-DT. The station is broadcasting on digital channel 4. When I used my HTL-HD to scan this channel is originally came back with 34-1 as the channel number. My understanding is that there is info on the digital stream that makes it show up as its analog channel number - x. Okay, fine. However, today I entered 34-1 on my HTL-HD and it now displays 4-2. I assume that the PSIP info is doing this.

If the PSIP encoder burns out or something, on Zenith tuners it'll do the physical channel number-2 being that if PSIP is configured correctly, the first stream of video is on x-2 (x-1 is reserved for other things IIRC). Even though the first stream may be on x-2, the tuner can still display it as x-1 because of PSIP.

Two weeks ago my PBS station was remapping to 3.2-6 instead of 15.1-5, and my PAX was on 36-2 instead of 38-1. My PAX is still remapping to 36-2, and the engineer tells me they're installing equipment to do a subchannel, though he has no idea what it is going to show.

Make sure you contact someone at the station and let them know about this. Sometimes they won't even notice sound/PSIP problems.

- Trip

N4MJC

post #60 of 3757 Old 03-21-2004, 05:53 PM

Jim

Are you getting WIVT-DT OTA with 5.1 DD with ABC network programs?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page