Advertisement

post #722 of 3755 Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update:
I've done nothing since the last post, but I am now locking on with just a few little breakups. PQ is great, however, there is no audio from the commentators (watching the golf tournament). It's kinda like watching at the course.

My signal strength is 50 on the HR10 and 73 on the HTL-HD.

Starting to lose lock.

Lock lost.
post #723 of 3755 Old 01-28-2007, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I was wondering if I had too much signal causing problems. It is certainly an adventure. I'll check out Unicorn (one of my favorite places to visit).
post #724 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 06:50 AM

Received this email today:

There is a HD feed over the air on digital channel 7
I put it up Friday 1-26-07 but still have many bugs to get out of it
I do not know if you can get it where you are located but if you can get analog 12 you should be able to get digital 7 with no problem.

Michael Calkins
Chief Engineer
WBNG / WBXI
(607) 729-8812

Mike Calkins [calkins@wbngtv.com]
post #725 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately Mike doesn't really understand what the terrain around here does to a digital signal. He should. I do get a ghosty analog 12, which means the multipath is killing me. I know I have more to do, but he implies that it is as easy as putting up an antenna.

Yesterday, I was able to watch the golf tournament, but the center channel was missing. I hope they get that fixed for you guys that can receive WBNGDT for the Super Bowl.
post #726 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 10:33 AM

Today a woman at Time Warner told me they expect the announcement "any day now."
post #727 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awdorrin View Post

What I found interesting, is I'm picking up a CBS channel on '5' (Not a great signal) anyone know where thats coming from? Also I'm picking up ABC-18 - think thats from Elmira.

I'm guessing that the CBS 5 is WTVH out of Syracuse. 18 from Elmira is WETM, and it's an NBC affiliate.
post #728 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:

Currently displayed on TWC channel 750:

Code:

DWBNG OFF AIR: WBNG Digital channel 750 is currently unavailable! Please tune to cable channel: Bing-2, Elmira/Cor-12, Oneonta-3, Sayre-3 to view WBNG programming.

I'm getting this and was amused to see that the channel name has changed from DWBNG to gonTV.
post #729 of 3755 Old 01-29-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets View Post

I'm getting this and was amused to see that the channel name has changed from DWBNG to gonTV.

I noticed that too, glad to see someone down there has a sense of humor
post #730 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM

WETM also broadcasts WETM2, aka WTTX, on 18.2. The logo on WETM2's 10pm news is "18.2 - Local, Digital, Now". I bet that 99% of the viewing area has no idea what that is all about.
post #731 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydukr View Post

OK, so somebody explain to me why, after WBNG has been sending HD OTA for 2-3 days now, TWC has not yet passed along the signal to us starving HD cable customers? Is there a technical reason involving the need to test something? Or is TWC just being slow/stubborn/???

From TW today:
"We continue to discuss the possibility of carrying this Sunday's Superbowl on WBNG in HD. We need the station's permission to carry the HD broadcast and the station's GM is working with his Corporate people on a decision. "
post #732 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

I'm running a QAM scan now to see if TWC is hiding WBNG somewhere.

Not likely...

I'm sadly not as lucky as certain coworkers who live almost within sight of WBNG's tower.

Edit: I guess I am lucky. While cable boxes may not be updated yet, I just found NCIS at the following QAM location:

Cable channel 116, program 5

Time for me to update my MythTV config

Edit 2: MythTV updated, recording NCIS. Enjoying the 5.1 audio

That makes the second station in the area to have 5.1 (Fox being the first). NBC, ABC, and PBS still only broadcast stereo.
post #733 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 06:06 PM

Curious if anyone watched NCIS tonight (OTA) on WBNG. To me, the audio was off by a bit, (delayed about 1/2 second or so, hard to judge), as curious if anyone else noticed it.
post #734 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM

WBNG Now Broadcasting In High Def Over The Air
WBNG-TV is taking an historic leap forward with high definition television. We are now broadcasting in HD over the air, on digital channel 7. That means you will see some CBS programming in the most amazing picture quality technology has to offer. And, you'll be able to watch the Superbowl in HD this Sunday
post #735 of 3755 Old 01-30-2007, 08:07 PM

For anybody with more than one TV splitters can cause trouble and many are just junk and can suck out channels. I have seen boxes of them that were wired wrong parts not soldered ect. That also goes for matching transformers. All splitters should be what is called back matched.
The best way is to have a hi gain amp and use taps at the last tap you use a 75 ohm resistor. Each tap is rated with how many db isolation it has. The way it works is you have more signal than needed and sample some of it. That way you do not have standing waves or suck outs. The cable looks at the 75 ohm resistor at the end and nothing gets refelected back.
With analog you can see ghosts but with digital it can drive you nuts because you cannot see a ghost so doing it right can save allot of grief.
post #736 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
There is an electronics specialty store in johnson city that sells great splitters...120 db isolation ...Unicorn if I recall. Reasonable prices . down the street near the IBM country club.

At xmas replaced all the splitters at the parent's and at my home with those.

The parents have a great hd setup at their home in endicott. Reception is excellent even on ch20 and 26. installed a winegard hd7082p antenna with a winegard hdp269 preamp (only amplifying uhf and passing vhf). Replaced most of the old wiring from the early 80' s with rg6 also.
LL
post #737 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 07:27 AM

Liked: 16
Here is an article posted about the TW/WBNG feud:

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb.../1002/BUSINESS

Unfortunatly Mr. Platsky has done a typically shoddy job in getting the facts straight about the technology. (Stating that a "special hdtv antenna" is required! )
post #738 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 07:34 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy512 View Post

I'm running a QAM scan now to see if TWC is hiding WBNG somewhere.

Time for me to update my MythTV config

What QAM tuner card are you using? I have always been tempted by linux, but have not had the time (or the gumption) to take the plunge. (Does MCE do QAM well?)
post #739 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post

Unfortunatly Mr. Platsky has done a typically shoddy job in getting the facts straight about the technology. (Stating that a "special hdtv antenna" is required! )

Yeah, that implies that all you need is the "special HDTV antenna". When what is special is having the ATSC tuner and an antenna.
post #740 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That article was a joke. I almost posted the link to this thread on there... and the one comment about a guy who thinks 42'' HD plasmas are still over $2k, he's probably 75 and thinks it's garbage.

A special antenna for HD? Please.

I monitor this thread with great interest, as I grew up in Vestal/Apalachin, but stayted down in Philadelphia after graduating. Needless to say, the HD situation over cable down here isn't a problem

Took WBNG long enough to get an HD signal up, it's 2007 for crying out loud, and Binghamton isn't THAT small of a market.
post #741 of 3755 Old 01-31-2007, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What QAM tuner card are you using? I have always been tempted by linux, but have not had the time (or the gumption) to take the plunge. (Does MCE do QAM well?)

I'm using the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun (http://www.silicondust.com/)

The Good:
External Ethernet device
Dual tuners for the price of most single-tuner PCI cards
Developers of the hardware/firmware are VERY active on their support forums

The Bad:
Still a few firmware bugs. The HDHR has only been out since November or December I believe. I've had mine less than a month
MCE support was just released and is its infancy
Still a few quirks with MythTV support for the device, but very few. Looking back at recent history, the only failed recording I've had was CSI last Thursday, and the fact that WBNG changed channels and program numbers would explain that.
Getting the HDHR set up for QAM cable with MythTV is NOT in any way user-friendly at the moment. It should probably be mature once Myth 0.21 is released, HDHR support is only available if you run a Subversion snapshot of Myth. (i.e. their "heavy development" codebase)

Overall, despite the quirks, I'm extremely happy with the HDHR, especially now that it is being fed WBNG in high def.

I only watched a short clip of NCIS last night, as I found the channel halfway through and didn't want to risk FUBARing my Myth box before House.

I should have told Myth to re-record some of tonight's reruns...
post #742 of 3755 Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM

Time Warner Inc., the world's largest media company, said fourth-quarter profit rose 34 percent.

Can't they afford to throw us a bone?
post #743 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Continued bad news.
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...702020336/1001
The headline says "High-def Super Bowl plan unplugged - Lack of cable deal creates need for special antenna", but the first sentence has "Viewers who want to see the Super Bowl in a new-fashioned way will have to use old-fashioned antennas." So, it seems that Jeff read the comments. However, he still didn't mention the need for an ATSC tuner.
post #744 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 08:03 AM

While it would be interesting to hear what the true story is regarding the negotiations. I place the blame fully on WBNG.

They are the last local affiliate to go HD (not including the CW network WBNG owns) and it sure seems like they waited until a few days before the Super Bowl to pressure TW into a 'good' deal.

The advertisers need to realize that they are losing the HD audience to the other network affiliates.

As for TW, I sure hope that they start seriously pursing more HD content this year. With DirectTV's plan to reach 150 HD channels by the end of 2007, I might have to make the jump.

Out of curiousity for those with DirectTV and the DirectTV DVRs, can you record HD content off of OTA signals? (Or would I need a Tivo?)
post #745 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 09:10 AM

I have Dish Network and Record HD OTA.
I have the 622 so I can't speak for the other receivers.
I went with Dish because they had the most HD channels (about 40) and am glad I did. Some of the channels stink, but overall I get better PQ than cable and overall more bang for the dollar.
post #746 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdspencer View Post

Continued bad news.
http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...702020336/1001
The headline says "High-def Super Bowl plan unplugged..."

I just sent this e-mail to both parties. At least it made me feel better for the moment. I encourage you all to fill up their mailboxes!

A SHAMEFUL PERFORMANCE BY BOTH WBNG/GRANITE and TWC-STNY

I write in absolute outrage over the failure of Time Warner-Southern Tier and WBNG-Granite Broadcasting to have an HD carriage agreement in place on the day WBNG's HD signal went live.

If both of your organizations cared half as much about your HD-deprived and cable-dependent customers as you do about the "bottom line", you would not have used the imminent Super Bowl as a bargaining chip, and would have hammered out an agreement months ago. Your failure to do so says volumes about your priorities.

I have vented to TWC with my e-mails in this vein recently, but this time I have a special "commendation" for Les Vann of Granite Broadcasting, who had the audacity to say (as quoted in the 2/2 Press and Sun-Bulletin): "These agreements are complex and they are difficult to put together in a short time." In a short time, eh? That says all I need to hear about how Granite decided to proceed in the negotiations!

I'm impressed at the abilities of your two organizations to transform a heretofore well-mannered, underatanding, and even empathetic customer into one who is prepared to annoy each of you on a regular basis until you do the right thing.

Yours,

Ron Heyduk
Oneonta, NY
post #747 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Out of curiousity for those with DirectTV and the DirectTV DVRs, can you record HD content off of OTA signals? (Or would I need a Tivo?)

I have the HR10-250 DirecTV DVR with TiVo software. DirecTV also has their own DVR, the HR20, which will be needed when our area gets DirecTV HD locals. To record HD OTA all you need is an HD tuner and a recorder capable of recording HD. See the HDTV Recorders section here for more info.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/index.php
post #748 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydukr View Post

I just sent this e-mail to both parties. At least it made me feel better for the moment. I encourage you all to fill up their mailboxes!

A SHAMEFUL PERFORMANCE BY BOTH WBNG/GRANITE and TWC-STNY

I write in absolute outrage over the failure of Time Warner-Southern Tier and WBNG-Granite Broadcasting to have an HD carriage agreement in place on the day WBNG's HD signal went live.

If both of your organizations cared half as much about your HD-deprived and cable-dependent customers as you do about the "bottom line", you would not have used the imminent Super Bowl as a bargaining chip, and would have hammered out an agreement months ago. Your failure to do so says volumes about your priorities.

I have vented to TWC with my e-mails in this vein recently, but this time I have a special "commendation" for Les Vann of Granite Broadcasting, who had the audacity to say (as quoted in the 2/2 Press and Sun-Bulletin): "These agreements are complex and they are difficult to put together in a short time." In a short time, eh? That says all I need to hear about how Granite decided to proceed in the negotiations!

I'm impressed at the abilities of your two organizations to transform a heretofore well-mannered, underatanding, and even empathetic customer into one who is prepared to annoy each of you on a regular basis until you do the right thing.

Yours,

Ron Heyduk
Oneonta, NY

I got a form e-mail reply from TWC, but Les Vann at least gave me the courtesy of a personal reply:

"Thank you for writing about your concerns about WBNG and Time Warner Cable not having an agreement for the SuperBowl to air in HD on cable. I too share your frustration. Granite Broadcasting purchased WBNG in August. We immediately began the process of completing the expensive technical work required to transmit HD pictures over the air. We immediately notified Time Warner the build out was underway and our goal was to have the work finished by SuperBowl Sunday. That work was finished last Friday. During the time that ensued representatives from both companies worked to get an agreement but we simply were unable to do so. We have had an HD carriage deal in place with Time Warner in Syracuse for several years but have so far been unable to accomplish that in Binghamton. The issues are far more complex than indicated in the newspaper. There are technical, legal, and timing issues that we have been unable to resolve."

In noting that an agreement with TW Syracuse was hammered out, Vann is obviously suggesting it's TWC-STNY's fault. He may be right. But many of us lose anyway.
post #749 of 3755 Old 02-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

I call BS on the technical aspects - TWC was rebroadcasting WBNG in HD (unofficially) for a while, they just weren't giving cable box users a proper channel remap.

That said, they have since moved from 116.5 - either they are no longer rebroadcasting BNG in HD at all or have moved channels again.

Edit: 116.5 has been shown as (no data) by my HDHomeRun all evening, and there are no new QAM channels in my last scan that aren't (no data) or (encrypted).

No HD at all for now. I may have to make a custom Yagi just for VHF channel 7.
post #750 of 3755 Old 02-03-2007, 02:25 AM

This and the fact that Universal HD isn't up yet makes me want to switch to Dish Network, but the weather patterns indemic to this area sort of scare me off of it.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page