AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by abramsky
Jim

Are you getting WIVT-DT OTA with 5.1 DD with ABC network programs?

You know, I can't really answer that question for sure. I'll check tonight.

And, WIVT-DT is now back on 34-1.

Edit: None of the ABC shows tonight have had DD 5.1 audio. But, I'm not sure if they were supposed to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3767 Old 04-02-2004, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by abramsky
Been out of town awhile.

Here is the latest TWC HD lineup for Binghamton that will be effective 4/1/04

703 WIVT-DT*
705 Discovery HD Theater*
710 HBO HD**
711 Showtime HD**
715 INHD
716 INHD2
717 HDNet
718 HDNet Movies

* Included with HD converter box
** Premium subscription required
Non * $4.95/mo starting 4/1/04

I thank you for this information. It is the only way I found out the reason for loosing several of my channels, being that I have only had HD for three weeks.

Now this is a little off topic:

Is it me or do you all find it disconcerting that the only way that we seem to get infomation upon services that we pay for is to go and get ourselves. Time Warner's website just does not give you enough information, and most of their call center reps do not appear to know anyting about HD, nor upcoming additions.

Plus when I just called they actually tried to sell me a "Service Plan" that would cover any future component installs. As if i'd trust them to hook up anything after my HD box install. I took me the better part of an hour to go back and fix the installers errors.

As for OTA signals, since I do not have a HD receiver I am basically dependent upon Time Warner. And the other family members do not want a Dish.
post #63 of 3767 Old 04-02-2004, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, WIVTDT is now showing up as 4-2 again. Channel 4 is what it is broadcasting on but used to get mapped to its analog channel number (34) and would show up as 34-1. I just need clarification that this is a lack of correct PSIP information, right? They also don't have a program description showing, which is also a PSIP function. What are some good buzz words to use when I send an email to them about these issues?
post #64 of 3767 Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thread about HD in Elmira prompts me to ask these questions.

Since our NBC affiliate (WGBHCA) is really a rebroadcast from Elmira (WETM) and it seems that it hasn't been assigned a digital channel yet. When can we expect to see a digital broadcast for this station?

This also then brings up, when will our UPN affiliate be on a channel of its own instead of a subchannel of our Fox affiliate? Wouldn't having UPN being on a subchannel interfere with Fox to provide full bandwidth for HD whenever Fox goes HD?

Then will we ever see a broadcast version of our cable-only WB affiliate? He asks rhetorically.

BTW, the NAB.org website is not up to date with regard to our Digital stations. It doesn't have an entry for our only station that is actually broadcasting an HD signal. That being WIVTDT (ABC).
post #65 of 3767 Old 04-07-2004, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:
It seems that WIVT-DT is again being displayed as 4-2 instead of 34-1.

And, I now see program descriptions for 40-1 and 40-2. These are now described as Fox affiliate WICZ-DT and UPN affiliiate WICZ-DT2. So, it seems that the station is doing some PSIP work. Currently, Enterprise on 40-2 has the HD symbol highlighted, but it definately isn't HD. When I put my HTL-HD format into Native mode it reports 480i. I can only hope they are successful in what they are doing. I still have to wonder what will happen with true HD with these two since they are on subchannels.
post #66 of 3767 Old 04-12-2004, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked WIVT why their channel ID is flip flopping.

Here's the response:

Quote:

Our PSIP (Program and System Information Protocol) channel branding stream is constantly transmitted to remap receivers to 34-1 for branding our HDTV signal with our analog over the air channel. Some set top boxes, usually combo DirecTV/HDTV receivers (from many different manufactures) have an occasional PSIP issue as you've just described. Essentially the satellite provider performs a download or update of your program guide and or subscription information. During this process the channel will appear to your receiver as 4-2. When the process is complete the re-map should return to 34-1 sometimes this may be hours later and it may not complete until overnight hours. Any box that connects to a phone line for program guide or subscription services such as TiVo or pay per view services could be subject to the same issue. We do provide guide information that will show up when you use your guide button or feature of your receiver. Issues with this may be associated with your remote services download or update of your receiver as well.

Makes sense to me. What say the experts here?

I have also emailed Zap2It to include the other DT stations in their description.
post #67 of 3767 Old 04-16-2004, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

No response yet from Zap2It about adding the other DT stations to their system.

It seems I must be talking to myself here.
post #68 of 3767 Old 04-16-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to use this thread to ask a question about channel assignments.

Binghamton currently has 4 stations broadcasting digitally. Chs 4, 7, 8, and 42, so I have a Channel Master 3016 VHF/UHF antenna which works okay. Chs 4 and 8 come in fine, but 7 and 42 are sporadic. I put a RS 26db amplifier on it and it helped a bit. I'm only 9 miles from the transmitting towers which are all in the same general direction. However, I have a hill between my location and the towers. What's interesting is that the analog channels (34, 12, 40 and 46) are unwatchable. The digital channels aren't yet operating at full power AFAIK. Only one has any HD content (4-1 ABC). Now to the question. I've heard that once the analog spectrum is turned off, the digital assignments may change. Where do I find out what channels my local stations will eventually be using once the analog spectrum is turned off? I'd just as soon not buy a bigger VHF/UHF antenna now if it will be obsolete later. Will VHF be phased out in favor of UHF for digital broadcasting?
post #69 of 3767 Old 04-16-2004, 06:48 PM

Try this link:

http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Medi...8/fcc98315.pdf

page B-29

Happy reading.

BTW. TWC Binghamton is working on getting NBC, FOX, UPN in HD, but it's going to be awhile. TWC has to resolve a number of issues to make it happen including technical, logistic, financial and corporate issues.

CBS will only happen when WBNG gets good and ready to make it happen.
post #70 of 3767 Old 04-16-2004, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for that link. Page B-29 shows me the NTSC and ATSC channel asignments, but not what they might be changed to when analog goes dark. I guess I'll just get a larger antenna anyway.

I wonder why TGC doesn't go after WIVTDT (ABC) since it is already in HD? WBNG was the first television station in this area as WNBF. So now they are lagging behind the HD world. Makes you wonder where their priorities are? Oh yeah, the bottom line. I wonder if we can contact CBS corporate to put pressure4 on WBNG? Afterall, CBS touts that they are the best HD network in the country.
post #71 of 3767 Old 04-27-2004, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:
WSKGDT is now showing up as 46-1 instead of 42-2 as it was. My HTL-HD is also showing programming guide descriptions.
post #72 of 3767 Old 05-13-2004, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Time to bring this thread to the first page again.

Anyway, our CBS affiliate is the only one that doesn't have guide info for the digital channel (12-1).

Is there a website that lists the REAL power that a station is currently broadcasting. A couple of my stations tend to fluctuate between locking in and not. I tweak the antenna and get a normal signal and then it disappears.
post #73 of 3767 Old 05-14-2004, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My HTL-HD receiver is now showing guide data for all digital channels except WBNGDT.

Anyone here know for sure if the Binghamton stations are broadcasting 24/7? My HTL-HD just got the latest firmware version which enabled the signal strength metter. So, I tweaked the antenna and was able to get all stations. Some were fluctuating, but I attributed that to trees etc. Now however, I get no signal for WBNGDT and very low for WICZDT, where I did get a high normal signal.

Okay, as I write this, WBNGDT just came in at a low normal signal. Opps, its gone again. I know I need to get a larger antenna, but was curious as to why I can get a normal signal at one time and then nothing at another time.

The azimuth spread for my stations at my location is 224-227 degrees. And, the digital channels are 4, 7, 8, and 42. I'm 8.5 to 8.9 miles from the tower with a hill in between. Currently using a Channel Master 3016 antenna. Any, suggestions for a higher gain one?
post #74 of 3767 Old 05-17-2004, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I see PBS-HD in 1080i being broadcast on 46-1 now. It looks great. They are also broadcasting what looks like their local stuff on 46-2 in SD. There are also signals for 46-3, 46-4, and 46-5, just a blank screen however. I've emailed WSKG asking what the plans are.

The guide data for 46-1 is not for the HD feed. But, this should straighten out eventually.

I'm just glad that we now have a second station in our area that has HD content.
post #75 of 3767 Old 05-18-2004, 03:50 PM

I wrote an email to Kevin Mower at Time Warner Cable Binghamton and he said that TNT-HD will be launching on May 21st at 9am, on channel 706. No additional charge.

"if there's a will, there's a way,
"but if there's a won't, ur screwed!"
--(\__/)
-- \oo/
--(=o=)
--(ll) (ll)
post #76 of 3767 Old 05-18-2004, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

That is good news for those who have TWC. I don't.
post #77 of 3767 Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Will the Greater Binghamton members please post their HD OTA signal strengths for each of our digital channels? Include a general location, receiver and antenna. And, of course the strengths!

My HD receiver is the Hughes HTL-HD. I'm located in Chenango Bridge about 9 miles from the towers with Crocker Hill in between. I currently have the Channel Master 3016 with the Radio Shack 26dB amplifier.

Digital channel 4 (WIVTDT) strength is 89, channel 7 (WBNGDT) is 21 (can't lock on), channel 8 (WICZDT) is 71, and channel 42 (WSKGDT) is 81.
post #78 of 3767 Old 08-06-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a short update:
Thanks to funkspiel on the RochesterHDTV.com forum for this about our Fox affiliate.
"We are currently working towards providing OTA HD on our NBC station. We are hopeful that the work needed to make this happen will be completed by the start of the Olympics but we can't promise that it will be. Once completed we will be notify our viewers."

I have found out this about our NBC affiliate.
"We are currently working towards providing OTA HD on our NBC station. We are hopeful that the work needed to make this happen will be completed by the start of the Olympics but we can't promise that it will be. Once completed we will notify our viewers."

However, WBGH, the NBC affiliate here in Binghamton is a low power station, so I'm not sure how this will work out.

Update:
No Olympic HD coverage. In fact, they have blocked DirecTV from delivering NBC-HD Olympic coverage.
post #79 of 3767 Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

No more info from Binghamton. Status quo.

Our Fox affiliate doesn't answer emails. I can only guess that they are working feverishly to get HD up in time for the start of the new TV season.
post #80 of 3767 Old 09-12-2004, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

From memkdavis on the RochesterHDTV.com forum.

-----
Well, I wish had some good news.

I called WICZ (FOX) asking about the future of HDTV. I ended up talking to their engineer. He never gave me a date for HDTV, but he implied that it might not happen for years. For the worst case, he suggested that it might not happen until the mandated dead line of when stations can no longer broadcast their analog signal. This is when their analog infrastructure will need to be replaced. He believes the current deadline (digital only 2006?) is not real and a more realistic date like 2010 will be put in place.
-----

Thank goodness that DirecTV will have Fox-HD shortly.
post #81 of 3767 Old 09-17-2004, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Official Binghamton, NY DMA thread.
post #82 of 3767 Old 10-22-2004, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Update:
I recently received the following from our WB affiliate. (WBPN)

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in The WB and our programming. At this time, there aren't any plans of bringing HDTV to the Binghamton area. Thanks again for your time and keep visiting TheWBpass.com.

Regards,

Your Friends at The WB

Also, from our Fox and UPN affiliate.

Quote:
Thank you for your interest in FOX 40 and our conversion to HDTV. WICZ-TV, FOX 40 and WBPN, UPN 8 are currently broadcast digitally over the air on DTV channel 8. The process of further converting our signal to High Definition is underway though no firm time table for this is in place.

Currently WICZ-TV and Time Warner Cable have yet to reach an agreement which would allow Time Warner Cable to carry our digital signal.

Time Warner Cable does however carry our analog signals under agreement previously approved.

We are hopeful about reaching an agreement for our digital signal, in the meantime we hope you enjoy FOX 40 and UPN 8 over the air on DTV channel 8.

Once again thank you for writing.

I received these responses within 10 minutes of sending them.
post #83 of 3767 Old 11-18-2004, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I found out a month or so ago that our CBS affiliate, WBNGDT, is providing an HD feed to TWC (ch 700). But, not OTA. And, they aren't sure when they might. It doesn't make any difference to me right now as I get the DirecTV DNS feeds.
post #84 of 3767 Old 12-07-2004, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm having trouble getting all of my OTA stations.

Here are my antenna.org results.
Code:
red - vhf       WIVT-DT 34.1    ABC   BINGHAMTON  NY    225°    8.6     4
blue - vhf      WBNG    12      CBS   BINGHAMTON  NY    227°    8.9     12
violet - vhf    WBNG-DT 12.1    CBS   BINGHAMTON  NY    227°    8.9     7
violet - uhf    WSKG    46      PBS   BINGHAMTON  NY    225°    8.8     46
violet - uhf    WICZ    40      FOX   BINGHAMTON  NY    224°    8.8     40
violet - uhf    WIVT    34      ABC   BINGHAMTON  NY    225°    8.6     34

I also receive the following. (Don't know why they aren't in the antenna web results.)

WSKG-DT 46-1    PBS   BINGHAMTON  NY                    42
                WICZ-DT 40-1    FOX   BINGHAMTON  NY                    8
As you can see all of the stations are within 3°.

I'm using a Channel Master 3016 VHF/UHF antenna with a Radio shack adjustable amplifier. There is a hill between me and the towers. The problem is that I can get good signal strengths for WIVT-DT and WICZ-DT, but not the other two.

If I rotate the antenna about 30° CCW I can then get a good signal for WSKG-DT. For this one, I'm assuming that the antenna is receiving a side lobe. So, I adjusted the amplifier to its minimum setting, thinking that a too strong main signal is causing a problem for the Hughes HTL-HD receiver. And/or multipath is getting into the act. Rotated back to the original orientation and still no WSKG. Could it still be too strong? WIVT comes in strong in almost any direction.

For WBNG-DT I can find a direction that receives a spotty signal, but then the two good ones also get spotty. Too strong a signal here too?

With those tower locations, I shouldn't need a rotor. The antenna is 15' above my deck. Easier to adjust there than on the roof. I will move it if I think it would help. But, need a little signal for all stations from the same direction before I do that.

I know that multipath is the digital equivalent to ghosting with analog, but I'm not really clear on what it creates. Other than what I seem to see now. Should I try an attenuator in the line?

BTW, only the ABC and PBS affiliates are broadcasting HD.

Any suggestions?
post #85 of 3767 Old 12-08-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You're likely right about multipath. You probably overloading the preamp as well. You shouldnt' need a preamp at all at that distance.

The preamp (other than overloading) can also make multipath worse by ampifying out of phase signals.

Take the preamp completely out of the system and aim back at the towers.
If you're still having problems, then you'll have to manipulate the signal by moving the antenna, adjusting tilt, height, etc.

You can look at your analogs to get an idea about multipath as well.

Just in case you don't have it, here's a link to the Binghamton station info:
http://www.tvradioworld.com/region1/...tion.asp?m=bin
post #86 of 3767 Old 12-08-2004, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info. I had seen that site before and had completely forgotten it.
However, that site doesn't list WIVT-DT which is broadcasting ABC HD and is the one that comes in very well.

I'll fuss with it when the weather is a bit better.
post #87 of 3767 Old 12-08-2004, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to go under the analog channel and click "complete FCC info" and you'll get info on both analog and digital. WIVT is digital on ch. 4 and appears to be at 1 kw. Under that subsection, if you click on the service window coverage you'll get an approximation of signal coverage for that particular effective radiated power (ERP). See http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?call=WIVT

The 28 Dbu coverage map is at http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DS667259.html

1 kw doesnt' sound like much but it should be more than enough on channel 4 at only 9 miles.
post #88 of 3767 Old 12-08-2004, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually, the licensed ERP for that station is 1.5kw. And, it is definately enough power as that is the one that comes in with a wide range of antenna orientations. So it may be that there is too much signal for the other problematical stations.
post #89 of 3767 Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

They have an STA for 1 kw which they're most likely still using, but the difference shouldn't be significant at your distance (50% increase would only be 1.5db at your receiver anyway). The stations below 100 in DMA rank (Binghamton is #154) don't have to be at full power until Jul '06.
post #90 of 3767 Old 12-09-2004, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

How does one find out which designation they are actually operating at?

I assumed that since the DT was licensed that it was the latest.

But, as you said, the difference won't make that much difference.

Editted to add:
I removed the amplifier and no significance change in reception.
Channel 34-1 (digital 4) is still coming in very well.
Channel 40-1 (8) has a slightly lower strength, but seems stable.
Still can't bring in Channel 12-1 (7) or channel 46-1 (42).

As stated before I have the Channel Master 3016 which should be plenty of antenna for 9 miles to the towers. However, I do have a hill in between. I don't really want to go real high with the antenna, but I may if and when my CBS and Fox affiliates go HD.

Will a larger antenna do better, rather than an amplifier?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page