Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #361 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Keith - your location looks pretty good. You are on a plateau of sorts at about 390 feet. There are no large hills in the way. If you want more than the QA and CH towers you will need a rotor. Use a good antenna like the CM4228 on your roof. But without a rotor and pointing it 6 deg. E of North will get you about 11 DT sub-channels, which is most of the "good stuff".

Thanks much for the info, Larry. I've got some trees around, but just east of north is relatively clear, so I'm really hopeful. I have a Samsung SIR-T165 due here on Tuesday, so I'll be able to start trying things out.

I'm really excited for the plasma. I've been waiting for years for them to drop to a semi-reasonable price. Holding out wasn't too hard until my '97 vintage Toshiba DVD player gave up the ghost and I bought a new one with progressive scan capabilities. This pushed me over the edge and convinced me I need something to get all I can out of DVD's. If I can get HD too, it'll be very cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 10:01 AM

Larry, I would appreciate any insight on my chances on picking up Seattle HD signals from my home in Bothell/Kenmore...can you please check the following location:

I already bought a CM 4228 and placed it in my attic, however I don't yet have an HD receiver so I am still unsure what my chances are. I did do a quick test hooking the antenna straight to a TV. Channel 22 comes in absolutely clearly, 16 is fairly clear with some ghosting.

Thanks in advance,

Paul
post #363 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Larry, thanks for the input. I do have a CM UHF preamp with the 4248. I experimented with both the 4228 and the 4248, and at that time I was able to get 16 almost all the time with the 4248 and not at all with the 4228. I was using my Samsung SIRT 165 at the time and didn't find the signal strength readings all that meaningful. The reception is pretty variable at my house however. A couple of nights ago channel 4 was cutting out with the 4248 so I switched to the RS VHF/UHF which normally is much weaker, and the signal was fine. I'd love to combine the two signals with some way of variably phasing the two signals together for different stations, but I don't know nearly enough to do anything like that.

Al
post #364 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by pbishop
Hi Larry. Just hoping you could give me an idea on what I can expect and/or what sort of setup I'll need. I can put up whatever antenna I might need, within reason.

Nearest intersection - 206th St. SE & Welch Rd in Snohomish.

Thanks.

Your elevation is about 420 feet and you have a 520 foot hill about 3/4 mile to the SW. If your antenna were on the ground you would not have LOS to QA or CH towers. But if you can get your antenna at least 30 feet off the ground you would have a good shot at both tower locations. The most popular antenna choices seem to be the Channel Master 4228 and 4248. The 4228 is larger, higher gain and more directional. But as AL_B found out, either one can out perform the other depending on conditions. The main thing for you is height regardless of which antenna. Another good gauge is how is your analog UHF right now? Do you have anything on the roof at present to test this?

Larry

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #365 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Tivopaul
Larry, I would appreciate any insight on my chances on picking up Seattle HD signals from my home in Bothell/Kenmore...can you please check the following location:

Bothell, WA 98028

I already bought a CM 4228 and placed it in my attic, however I don't yet have an HD receiver so I am still unsure what my chances are. I did do a quick test hooking the antenna straight to a TV. Channel 22 comes in absolutely clearly, 16 is fairly clear with some ghosting.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Paul - your situation looks pretty good. There is only a slight hill in your path and your attic height may be enough to clear that. Since your analog UHF is pretty good I'd say you have a very good chance. Worst case is perhaps putting the 4228 on the roof with a short mast.

Larry

post #366 of 10140 Old 11-09-2003, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Al_B
Larry, thanks for the input. I do have a CM UHF preamp with the 4248. I experimented with both the 4228 and the 4248, and at that time I was able to get 16 almost all the time with the 4248 and not at all with the 4228. I was using my Samsung SIRT 165 at the time and didn't find the signal strength readings all that meaningful. The reception is pretty variable at my house however. A couple of nights ago channel 4 was cutting out with the 4248 so I switched to the RS VHF/UHF which normally is much weaker, and the signal was fine. I'd love to combine the two signals with some way of variably phasing the two signals together for different stations, but I don't know nearly enough to do anything like that.

Al

Al - sounds like you are working off reflections for some channels. This is always a dicey situation. There are antenna combiners available for doing what you want, or a cheaper way is a switch (but more of a pain to use). I'm not sure one particular combination would work all the time for all channels.

Larry

post #367 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 07:38 AM

Hey guys,

I have a happy update to post. I finally managed to get my CM 4228 mounted, grounded and tuned in this weekend (with some help from my neighbor). I'm in NE Everett near Lake Stevens (about 30+ miles out) and I'm pulling in all the ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX and WB channels (although I need to check and see if I get all the subchannels; I've seen some mentioned that didn't show up yesterday -- perhaps they weren't broadcasting at that time).

Thanks to all of you for your support along the way and answering all my questions. Oh joy!! MNF tonight!!

Larry -- I do have an address I'd love for you to check (my Dad's place; now that I got my house done, I'm going to try and get him set up):

Arlington, WA 98223

This is WAY north and could be a shot in the dark, but I figured it is worth trying!
post #368 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

felthove:

Congratulations on your success! Here are some local HD tidbits that may help you:

KCTS-DT (real channel 41, logical channel 9) does have a varied broadcast schedule. I don't know the precise timing, but they typically broadcast 3 SD sub-channels during the day (9-1, 9-2, and 9-3). In the evenings they have 1 SD channel (9-1) and 1 HD channel (which I receive on 9-2 and 9-5 on my Hughes E86--not sure exactly why).

As far as I know, all of the other DTV stations broadcast 24 hours (or close, matching their analog hours).

KCPQ-DT (ch. 18-1 real, 13-1 logical) also broadcasts KTWB (ch. 18-2 real, 13-2 logical) from their Gold Mountain transmitter near Bremerton.

Similarly, KTWB-DT (ch. 25-1 real, 22-1 logical) also broadcasts KCPQ (ch. 25-2 real, 22-2 logical) from their transmitter on Capitol Hill in Seattle.

Tribune broadcasting owns both stations. They transmit from both locations to provide a larger coverage area for each station. At some point when both stations have increasing amounts of real HD programming, there will be more of a bandwidth/picture qualiy issue.

On my RCA DTC-100, I get OTA PSIP program schedule information on the following stations:
KING-DT (48-1/5-1)
KSTW-DT (36-1/11-1)
KCPQ-DT (18-1/13-1 and 25-2/22-2)
KTWB-DT (25-1/22-1 and 18-2/13-2)

My Hughes E86 gets all OTA program schedule information from DirecTV's Advanced Program Guide (after entering my zipcode). The E86 does not support OTA PSIP program schedule data.

KOMO-DT (38-1/4-1) produces all local news programs and Northwest Afternoon in HD (720p). Their ABC HD programs have Dolby Digital 5.1 audio transmitted, but many (most?) programs do not take advantage of the rear channels much. But ABC HD movies often do. Of course, you are already aware of Monday Night Football.

KING-DT (48-1/5-1) produces portions of their local news in HD. It looks like studio shots without graphics are typically HD but they revert to SD when they add graphics. Evening Magazine is also now produced in HD.

You can read about network HD programming elsewhere on the AVSForum. (You probably already have by now.)

Dave
post #369 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info Dave. I appreciate it. I have a dish 6000 box and as far as I know it doesn't support any type of local programming guide info.
I heard the new Dish 811 box will be like the 6000 in other ways but will have this feature.
post #370 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I have no personal experience with, nor knowledge of, the Dish 6000 box and its OTA reception. But I will be interested in how things work out for you.

Dave
post #371 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Tivopaul

Bothell, WA 98028

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Paul,

You aren't all that far from me, and a CM 4228 would be too strong for me, probably giving me a lot of trouble with ghosting. In March '02 I installed a CM 4221 with a Radio Shack Chimney mount kit and I always get all stations at 100%. Keep this in mind in case you have problems when you get your receiver.

Tim
post #372 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by felthove
Hey guys,

I have a happy update to post. I finally managed to get my CM 4228 mounted, grounded and tuned in this weekend (with some help from my neighbor). I'm in NE Everett near Lake Stevens (about 30+ miles out) and I'm pulling in all the ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX and WB channels (although I need to check and see if I get all the subchannels; I've seen some mentioned that didn't show up yesterday -- perhaps they weren't broadcasting at that time).

Thanks to all of you for your support along the way and answering all my questions. Oh joy!! MNF tonight!!

Larry -- I do have an address I'd love for you to check (my Dad's place; now that I got my house done, I'm going to try and get him set up):

Arlington, WA 98223

This is WAY north and could be a shot in the dark, but I figured it is worth trying!

Glad to hear of your success - makes all of this something more than 'chat room'!

Ah yes MNF - rather be HD'ing than freezing at Lambeau (and I know about cold since I grew up in WIS.) I am watching it right now in fact (typing between plays).

Your dad's place looks marginal but with a decent antenna mounted high up, he has a chance. The LOS plot shows it just barely misses (or hits) the intervening hills. I would do some tests with your equipment before having him invest lots of $$$. You may have to go up 30 ft. or more. How is his analog UHF reception?

Larry

post #373 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 10:11 PM

quarque (Larry),

Really appreciate all the lookups you do for people in this forum. I can only hope that you feel encouraged by all the help you give out.

Was hoping you could give me the details on my location.

I'm at 12207 NE 162nd St, Bothell
I've got my TERK TV36 mounted up 25' pointed WSW 207 degrees. I'm getting about 60% to 80% for KIRO-DT, KOMO-DT, and KCTS-DT. KING-DT, and KTWB-DT are around 30% to 40%.

Any info you can provide?

Thanks,
- ben
post #374 of 10140 Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 PM

Larry,

Just jumped into this thread tonight and my head is spinning with info on which way to go on HDTV. I have Dish (leased) and my path for HDTV will cost about $500 for a 6000U receiver. I also am interested in getting an antenna for the local stations. Can you check on my location, 1097 NE 97th, Seattle.

Also, not sure if this will be a problem, but I have two tall cedar trees in the back of the house, which faces south toward Seattle. They don't completely block my southward view but still, how much interference do trees create for the HDTV signal? Anyway to test this before I commit on a receiver?

Thanks for helping...Ron
post #375 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ronone10
Just jumped into this thread tonight and my head is spinning with info on which way to go on HDTV. I have Dish (leased) and my path for HDTV will cost about $500 for a 6000U receiver. I also am interested in getting an antenna for the local stations. Can you check on my location, Seattle.

I'm no expert, but have a couple thoughts. If you can get OTA, go for it. It will be some time, (Long time likely) before the small dish providers offer HDTV network programming. The satellite bandwidth simply isn't there for very many HDTV data streams and meeting the rules of local must carry too.

Good Luck!
post #376 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 10:59 AM

Hey all -- even though I thought my OTA set up was going fine after one day, I'm realizing that KOMO isn't coming up to Everett as well as the other QA signals (64% compared to about mid-70s and 80% for the others). Is there any potential reason for this?

I recall reading in an earlier part of this thread that there was some "shadow" issue related to the KOMO tower position on the west side of the hill (or something like that). KOMO is the only QA signal that is getting consistent pixelization and sound dropouts (w/ occasional video drop outs, too). It's not bouncing from 0% to 60% to 0% to 60% etc., as others have attributed to multipath. It just stays pretty constant in the low 60s (on my dish 6000 box). Should I try to reposition the antenna?

Thanks!

Ron
post #377 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 12:17 PM

felthove: I can't find the page, but someone posted output power for some stations and KOMO & PBS-9 HD were both half that of KING and KIRO
post #378 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 12:19 PM

I have the same problem with KOMO. Was trying to watch MNF last night and kept getting digital blocks everywhere. Sort of frustrating as the local feed was in HD and the sat feed just SD and sort of blurry.

The signal strength seems to vary between 76 and 93. I tried getting up in the attic and rotating the Rat Shack U75 to no avail. KING and KIRO come in just fine, so maybe there is some sort of shadow effect.

Larry,
I notice that you that you have been giving LOS info. If it would not be too much trouble, could you run the intersection of 124th Ave. NE and NE 134th Pl. in Kirkland? Oh yeah, which topo map do you use? I have some experience with ArcView GIS.

Thanks,

Allen
post #379 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 02:00 PM

I noticed blocks & signal loss when I tuned in too. About +5 degree fixed it. Maybe my darned reflections like Larry warned. Looked good afterward, on a 15" screen
post #380 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 06:08 PM
TAB

MNF was messed up last night, it likely wasn't due to your reception. The source signal from ABC nationwide was corrupted with occasional pixilation.
Tom
post #381 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree with TAB. I get rock solid reception of KOMO-DT, but last night's MNF had frequent pixelation. I thought maybe my antenna had moved or something, but I guess not. I also noticed poor contrast on the later shots of the game, while the graphics in the same picure had normal contrast levels. Maybe there was a low light problem?

Dave
post #382 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by spainb
quarque (Larry),

Really appreciate all the lookups you do for people in this forum. I can only hope that you feel encouraged by all the help you give out.

Was hoping you could give me the details on my location.

I'm at 12207 NE 162nd St, Bothell
I've got my TERK TV36 mounted up 25' pointed WSW 207 degrees. I'm getting about 60% to 80% for KIRO-DT, KOMO-DT, and KCTS-DT. KING-DT, and KTWB-DT are around 30% to 40%.

Any info you can provide?

Thanks,
- ben

Welcome to the forum Ben. Your LOS plot looks OK. Only a slight hill in your way that your 25' antenna should easily overcome. Are you saying that KING and KTWB are low enough that you have poor reception? I'm not familiar with the TERK TV36 - what basic design is it? BTW, Terk is not very popular on AVS in general. Apparently lots of people have had mediocre results. If you are having trouble you might consider a different antenna or a preamp if there is none inline right now.

Larry

post #383 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ronone10
Larry,

Just jumped into this thread tonight and my head is spinning with info on which way to go on HDTV. I have Dish (leased) and my path for HDTV will cost about $500 for a 6000U receiver. I also am interested in getting an antenna for the local stations. Can you check on my location, 1097 NE 97th, Seattle.

Also, not sure if this will be a problem, but I have two tall cedar trees in the back of the house, which faces south toward Seattle. They don't completely block my southward view but still, how much interference do trees create for the HDTV signal? Anyway to test this before I commit on a receiver?

Thanks for helping...Ron

Ron - your location looks OK. Any decent antenna in the attic or on your roof should work. Try to locate your antenna so the trees are not dead on line with the towers. QA is 201 deg. and CH is due south. One test that people have used is to compare their analog UHF reception. If it is decent, you have a very good chance at DT.

Larry

post #384 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by alfack
I have the same problem with KOMO. Was trying to watch MNF last night and kept getting digital blocks everywhere. Sort of frustrating as the local feed was in HD and the sat feed just SD and sort of blurry.

The signal strength seems to vary between 76 and 93. I tried getting up in the attic and rotating the Rat Shack U75 to no avail. KING and KIRO come in just fine, so maybe there is some sort of shadow effect.

Larry,
I notice that you that you have been giving LOS info. If it would not be too much trouble, could you run the intersection of 124th Ave. NE and NE 134th Pl. in Kirkland? Oh yeah, which topo map do you use? I have some experience with ArcView GIS.

Thanks,

Allen

Your LOS looks very good. Just watch out for trees, buildings and other assorted problems. I use DeLorme Topo USA with 3D features.

I would like to point out that KOMO's power is 810kW according to KOMO and the FCC. This is on par with most other major stations. I am working on getting a radiation plot for their transmitter. Since it is mounted on the ESE side of the tower, I strongly suspect that those who are north or west are not getting all of that power. But DT can work at even 10% of that power, so problems with individual stations are almost always due to multipath or blockages (trees). The common fixes are: repoint antenna, move antenna, add preamp, different antenna.

Larry

post #385 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 09:41 PM

Larry gave me a tentative thumb's up for reception down in in South Tacoma. I'm about 30 miles from QA and CH with fairly good LOS.

I just received my Samsung SIR-T165 and a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna. I figured I probably wouldn't get great reception indoors, but I thought I'd at least get some signal.

But when I have my receiver scan for OTA channels, it just finds a few of the local analog channels (examples include KBTC 28, KTBW 22, KWPX 33). But all the digital channel numbers just show snow. Not a peep from any of them.

Am I doing something terribly wrong? Since I am receiving UHF analog stations, doesn't it make sense I'd get something from the digitals? I'm planning to put up a roof-mounted CM 4221 soon, but I'm wondering if I've got something set up wrong on the receiver or some other newbie mistake. Help!
post #386 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

highvista - 30 miles indoors is asking for a lot. Don't sweat it until you get the 4221 on the roof going. Does the 165 have any special menu settings for getting OTA digital? - Larry

post #387 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by quarque
Ron - your location looks OK. Any decent antenna in the attic or on your roof should work. Try to locate your antenna so the trees are not dead on line with the towers. QA is 201 deg. and CH is due south. One test that people have used is to compare their analog UHF reception. If it is decent, you have a very good chance at DT.

Larry

KONG ch 16 UHF broadcasts from Queen Anne Hill (from the KING tower I believe).

KTWB ch 22 UHF broadcasts from Capitol Hill, very near the KCTS and KSTW towers.

So, if you get watchable signals from these two stations, your chances are good that you will get usable reception of the DTV UHF channels from those same locations.

Dave
post #388 of 10140 Old 11-11-2003, 10:16 PM

Quote:

highvista - 30 miles indoors is asking for a lot. Don't sweat it until you get the 4221 on the roof going. Does the 165 have any special menu settings for getting OTA digital? - Larry

Hey, Larry. Thanks for the encouraging words. I can't find any special settings for OTA digital vs. analog. It has inputs for both an antenna and a cable. During set-up, you choose either the antenna or the cable and scan for channels. It doesn't seem to differentiate between OTA channel types.
post #389 of 10140 Old 11-12-2003, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by quarque
Your elevation is about 420 feet and you have a 520 foot hill about 3/4 mile to the SW. If your antenna were on the ground you would not have LOS to QA or CH towers. But if you can get your antenna at least 30 feet off the ground you would have a good shot at both tower locations. The most popular antenna choices seem to be the Channel Master 4228 and 4248. The 4228 is larger, higher gain and more directional. But as AL_B found out, either one can out perform the other depending on conditions. The main thing for you is height regardless of which antenna. Another good gauge is how is your analog UHF right now? Do you have anything on the roof at present to test this?

Larry

Thanks for the lookup!

This is a new house that we'll be moving to in December. It should be relatively easy to get any antenna 30 feet off the ground, since it's two story house. I have a CM 4-bow antenna that I can try initially, but I'll definitely have a profrssional come out and do the final install if I end up having any success.
post #390 of 10140 Old 11-12-2003, 12:16 PM

Hi all, I have been follow this thread for a while and now I want to ask you guys some question. I live in Bellevue(98005), the intersection between I-90 and 405. My house is a 2 story house. I bought a Zenith Silver Sensor from Sears last week and play around with it. I have a Hughes E86 and the TV is on the first level of my house. So I start with 1st floor with the SS antenna and no luck. then I plug in a 50 ft cable and run around my house, and I finally get a strong signal from the CBS channel (70 - 100%) on 2nd level of my house(at the Master bedroom facing the Wall). And I also got a unstable signal from ABC (10%, 40%, 70%, 10%, 0%, 60%....), and it's not really watchable most of the time. No signal from Fox or NBC at all.

So what I think I probably need a outdoor antenna. I heard a lot of good word about the CM 4228. But I wonder if I can use the CM 4221 instead because it's cheaper? Would I get the same result from either Antenna? Also, is that possible to put the CM 4221 indoor instead of outdoor? Since my Indoor SS can get some signal, if I put the CM4221 at the same position, do I get the better result?

My final question is, where can I get the CM 4228 or CM 4221 locally?

Larry, can you please help me to check my location, 2372 132nd Ave. SE, 98005Thanks.

Kevin
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page