post #541 of 10084 Old 12-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by quarque
Yep, Hawks on FOX 13 Sunday, not HD but perhaps FAUX widescreen. I actually prefer their fake widescreen to having black bars on the sides. You may see ads on 22 but not their logo in the corner. Keep in mind that 13 and 22 are sharing equipment on CH, so you will see 13-1 & 13-2 as the same as 22-2 & 22-1 respectively.

Yes, I think I saw the 13 logo on 22-2. I get both 22-1 and 22-2, but don't get 13 reliably enough to see that it carries the same content. So you're saying I shouldn't worry about 13 if I get both 22-1 and 22-2?

I've been tinkering. I got one of those Terk antennas that clip on to the satellite dish to try to bring in 13 more reliably and to see what else I could get. The first antenna I tried knocked out the transponder frequency for spotbeam 3 -- i.e., local channels. They told me it must be defective. The next one did not interfere with the satellite reception, but I got absolutely nothing on DTV (mind you, I get an unobstructed view of the CH towers from my roof). This antenna uses a diplexer to combine the satellite and UHF signals at the dish, and another diplexer to split the signals at the receiver. It also uses DC current from the satellite receiver to power an amplifier in the antenna. I think either the amplified signal overpowered my HD box or the diplexers did not do their job and I got interference from the satellite signal. When I connected the HD box directly to an unamplified table top UHF antenna that I brought up to the roof (borrowing the cable from the satellite), I got great reception on lots of channels.

Maybe tomorrow I'll try to find an unamplified clip-on antenna. I really don't want to run another cable. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Yes, 13-1 is duplicated on 22-2 and 22-1 is duplicated on 13-2. So you are fine if you get either pair of -1 and -2 signals.

I have no experience with dish antennas - perhaps some other members could help you out there. I'm sure there is something out there that will work. I wouldn't think you would need an amplified version given your proximity to towers. If anything, you may want to put an adjustable attenuator at the HD receiver end of the cable to cut the signal level.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #543 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Great minds think alike . . . I just got off the phone, first with Terk then with Radio Shack, and concluded I should try an adjustable attenuator. The person at Terk did think the amplifier was overpowering the tuner (which is pretty sensitive). She recommended a Terk TV-36, which is a passive antenna, but requires its own cable, mast, etc. That's too much work for what I need; I want to use the cable from the dish. It occurred to me, however, that anything using that cable will be amplified, since the satellite signal is amplified. So an attenuator is the only way to go.

One more trip to Radio Shack before I give up and return everything. I don't really need this: last night I picked up 12 channels using the table top antenna (I got 33 or 35, I can't remember). And I'm certainly too old to be scrambling around on my roof in the snow. But I can't help thinking there's some station out there that will make this all worthwhile. :>)
post #544 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 11:38 AM

Thanks to quarque doing a plot for me last month, I decided to try for the DTV.
I am in the Port Orchard area of Kitsap County and here are my results.

Antenna - Channel Master 4228
Receiver: Samsung SIR T-151

Results:

Channel 4-1 (38) (KOMO-DT, Seattle) Good Signal
Channel 5-1 (48) (KING-DT, Seattle) Good Signal
Channel 7-1 (39) (KIRO-DT, Seattle) Good Signal
Channel 9-1 (41) (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Fair Signal
Channel 9-2 (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Fair Signal
Channel 9-3 (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Fair Signal
Channel 9-5
Channel 11-1 (36) KSTW-DT, Seattle) Fair Signal, fades
Channel 13-1 (18) (FOX-DT, Bremerton) Too strong of Signal, no reception
Channel 13-2 (25) (KTWB-DT, Bremerton) Too strong of signal, no reception
Channel 16-1 (31) (KONG-DT, Everett) Fair reception, occasional fades
Channel 20-1 (14) (KTBW-DT, Bremerton) Too strong of Signal, no reception
Channel 22-1 (22) (KTWB-DT, Seattle) Good Signal
Channel 22-2 (22) (KCPQ-DT, Seattle) Good Signal
Channel 28-1 (27) (KBTC-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 33-1 (32) (KWPX-DT, Bellevue) Fair Signal
Channel 42 (42) (KWDK-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 44-1 (44) (KHCV-DT, Seattle) No Signal
Channel 51-1 (51) (KWOG-DT,Bellevue) NBC Shopping, Fair Signal

Please note that this reception is with the antenna just sitting on the deck (3 feet above ground), pointing towards Seattle. If I lay the antenna flat, pointing straight up into the air, I then can receive the channels from Bremerton (Gold Mountain) and my receiver strength maxes out with those channels. Obvisously I am too close for the channels off of Gold Mountain with this antenna!!

I am hoping that when I mount this to a mast and get it up into the air some, my total reception will get better.

Boatmanbob
post #545 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 03:59 PM
TAB

Quote:

Originally posted by Grampa
Great minds think alike . . . I just got off the phone, first with Terk then with Radio Shack, and concluded I should try an adjustable attenuator. The person at Terk did think the amplifier was overpowering the tuner (which is pretty sensitive). She recommended a Terk TV-36, which is a passive antenna, but requires its own cable, mast, etc.

Personally I would stay away from Terk. I haven't heard much postive stuff from the users on ANY Terk product. Have you tried a Silver Sensor? I haven't tried that one either, but it gets high marks from others who have.
Tom
post #546 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 05:38 PM

quarque: obviously a weebling is an immature weeb. , maybe when I grow up...

ah! back to the thread topic, anybody spot the movie on KIRO-DT Sunday night? I wish I could remember the title, but it was showing in widescreen! What a wonderful idea! I hope the other locals copy that. (If they don't already)

Congrats boatmanbob! Remember to try KCTS 9-5 after 5pm for their eye candy.
post #547 of 10084 Old 12-31-2003, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

boatmanbob - great news! Sounds like an adjustable attenuator might be the thing to add just before the receiver, although I'm not sure the "too strong" stations are really going to be missed. You are getting all the "major" ones from one source or another since 13-1 is duplicated on 22-2.

post #548 of 10084 Old 01-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, 13-1 is duplicated on 22-2 and 22-1 is duplicated on 13-2.

Looks like that ended on New Year's. Message on 13-2 and 22-2 says "Due to circumstances beyond our control we are temporarily suspending alternate programming services on our DTV stations."

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #549 of 10084 Old 01-01-2004, 01:50 PM

I've been a frequent reader in this forum for a short while and am finally getting engaged with HDTV. I recently purchased a Sony HD300 with DirecTV and recieved a rude shock. After being told by the DirecTV reps on not just one, but several calls that my local channels are delivered in HDTV over their service, I found out that this is what could charitably be called a "load of bollocks".

Since this was the motivation for getting the upgraded service I'm, well, picqued. To avoid paying more money to these mendacious people I've been looking into getting an antenna to enable us to get OTA HDTV transmissions.

I'm located on Capitol Hill and have clear line of site to the three towers several blocks away and unknown line of sight to the Queen Anne towers. What are the experiences of other Capital Hill residents?

I'm at the corner of E Roy Street and 21st Ave E near Holy Names. Any experiences to share?

Cheers,

Brian
post #550 of 10084 Old 01-01-2004, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by artshotwell
Looks like that ended on New Year's. Message on 13-2 and 22-2 says "Due to circumstances beyond our control we are temporarily suspending alternate programming services on our DTV stations."

I suspect that may have something to do with the fact that 22-1 was carrying the Rose Bowl Parade in HD this morning (it looked very nice, but not as good as being there!). They can't broadcast the second subchannel when they go to HD. I bet it will be back to 'normal' by Friday or Saturday.

post #551 of 10084 Old 01-01-2004, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Brianmur
I've been a frequent reader in this forum for a short while and am finally getting engaged with HDTV. I recently purchased a Sony HD300 with DirecTV and recieved a rude shock. After being told by the DirecTV reps on not just one, but several calls that my local channels are delivered in HDTV over their service, I found out that this is what could charitably be called a "load of bollocks".

Since this was the motivation for getting the upgraded service I'm, well, picqued. To avoid paying more money to these mendacious people I've been looking into getting an antenna to enable us to get OTA HDTV transmissions.

I'm located on Capitol Hill and have clear line of site to the three towers several blocks away and unknown line of sight to the Queen Anne towers. What are the experiences of other Capital Hill residents?

I'm at the corner of E Roy Street and 21st Ave E near Holy Names. Any experiences to share?

Cheers,

Brian

Welcome to the forum Brian and I like your choice of adjectives. All I can tell you is you have no problem with hills in getting the QA signals. Your biggest problem will be multipath interfence. With all the buildings around you will get lots of reflected signals, which kills DT receivers. I don't know if the HD300 is above or below average on rejecting multipath. I would get whatever UHF antenna you can and try it out. In urban areas things vary greatly from one location to the next so it is a real *bullock-shoot*. Even a piece of wire made into a loop might work since you are so close to the towers. If you get a real antenna you might want to invest in an adjustable attenuator to cut back on those over-powering signals. Good luck and let us know what happens.

post #552 of 10084 Old 01-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I suspect that may have something to do with the fact that 22-1 was carrying the Rose Bowl Parade in HD this morning (it looked very nice, but not as good as being there!). They can't broadcast the second subchannel when they go to HD. I bet it will be back to 'normal' by Friday or Saturday.

They broadcast HD on the second channel (13-2) all the time. The WB has most of their prime time shows in HD and they've been available on KCPQ-DT in HD for at least a year, though not without blocking during action scenes.

Tribune Broadcasting, which owns both KCPQ & KTWB, also produced the Rose Parade coverage that was on KTWB. Which is what I wanted to watch this morning. In any case, Tribune's coverage was also on DiscoveryHD on DirecTV.

In my view, Tribune's KTLA, which originates Tribune's Rose Parade coverage, has consistently provided the best show. While some folks may not like Stephanie Edwards and Bob Eubanks, I enjoy their remarks. And, of all the anchors of Rose Parade shows, they are the most knowledgeable.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
post #553 of 10084 Old 01-02-2004, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I'm about 4 blocks south of you near 15th, and I have had pretty good luck. My TV has a built in reciever so just to see what I could get I attached an old single wire antenna that originally came as an FM antenna. Even with this I'm getting good signal from pretty much everything except for KING 5 which doesn't come in at all.

Mark
post #554 of 10084 Old 01-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cheers,

Brian

Hey Brian, I'm about five blocks from you, on 16th E. between Aloha and Roy. I'm a little higher on the hill, but I will confirm what quarque has said. I have a little table-top Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna (i.e., rabbit ears and a loop), with an adjustable amplifier. It is in my basement, and I still get decent reception. I sometimes need to rotate the antenna or increase or decrease the amplification. The only station I have problems with is 13 (off and on), but that is duplicated on 22-2 (although "temporarily" out of service). Until fairly recently, I got all my local analog channels with this same antenna, but now I get them over Dishnetwork for an extra $5 or so. I got tired of rotating the antenna. I've not had a problem with Dish.

I have recently been experimenting with rooftop antennas, more for fun than anything else. I've tried a couple of those antennas that clip on to the dish, because I didn't want to run any more cable. The problem is that those antennas are amplified because of the satellite system, and I think I was overpowering my HD receiver (I could probably hit the Capitol Hill towers with a beebee gun from my roof). When I took my table-top antenna to the roof, with no power for the amplifier and with the cable disconnected from the satellite receiver, I was able to get great reception on lots of channels, and it didn't seem to matter much which way the antenna was pointed. When I get time, I'll try the clip-on again, but this time put an attenuator just before the HD receiver and see what happens.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you want to take a look.
post #555 of 10084 Old 01-04-2004, 09:45 PM

The video was dropping/pixelizing/freezing on KING tonight during American Dreams... The audio was unaffected for me, which made me think it was a broadcast problem. The video freezes were still there if I quickly changed channel away and back. Anyone else see this?

-Lance
post #556 of 10084 Old 01-05-2004, 06:55 PM

You're not alone. Same thing happened at our place and normally KING is one of our better channels for solid reception. My teenage daughter was ready to revolt until I flipped back to satellite.
post #557 of 10084 Old 01-13-2004, 06:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally posted by Grampa
I'm about five blocks from you, on 16th E. between Aloha and Roy. I'm a little higher on the hill, but I will confirm what quarque has said. I have a little table-top Radio Shack UHF/VHF antenna (i.e., rabbit ears and a loop), with an adjustable amplifier. It is in my basement, and I still get decent reception. I sometimes need to rotate the antenna or increase or decrease the amplification. The only station I have problems with is 13 (off and on), but that is duplicated on 22-2 (although "temporarily" out of service). Until fairly recently, I got all my local analog channels with this same antenna, but now I get them over Dishnetwork for an extra $5 or so. I got tired of rotating the antenna. I've not had a problem with Dish.

Quote:

Originally posted by markct
I'm about 4 blocks south of you near 15th, and I have had pretty good luck. My TV has a built in reciever so just to see what I could get I attached an old single wire antenna that originally came as an FM antenna. Even with this I'm getting good signal from pretty much everything except for KING 5 which doesn't come in at all.

Thanks for the feedback folks. The Channel Master 4228 is installed on a tripod that stands about 6 feet off the apex of the roofline. It's facing the Queen Anne towers (West) and here are the results:

Antenna - Channel Master 4228
Receiver: Sony HD300

Results:

Channel 4-1 (38) (KOMO-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 80-85%
Channel 5-1 (48) (KING-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 7-1 (39) (KIRO-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 9-1 (41) (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 9-2 (41) (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 9-3 (41) (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 9-5 (41) (KCTS-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 11-1 (36) (KSTW-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 80-85%
Channel 12.2 (..) No Signal
Channel 13-1 (18) (KCPQ-DT) Normal to Good Signal 65-70%
Channel 13-2 (18) (KCPQ-DT) Normal to Good Signal 65-70%
Channel 16-1 (31) (KONG-DT, Everett) Good Signal 85-90%
Channel 20-1 (14) (KTBW-DT, Bremerton) No Signal
Channel 22-1 (22) (KTWB-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 65-70%
Channel 22-2 (25) (KCPQ-DT, Seattle) Good Signal 65-70%
Channel 28-1 (27) (KBTC-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 28-2 (27) (KBTC-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 28-3 (27) (KBTC-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 28-4 (27) (KBTC-DT, Tacoma) No Signal
Channel 33-1 (32) (KWPX-DT, Bellevue) No Signal
Channel 45-1 (44) (KHCV-DT, Seattle) No Signal

I'm sure that the results with change with changing environmental conditions. The HD300 has some reboot and audio and signal drop outs so there may be some contribution there.

~Brian
post #558 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 07:39 AM

Thought I'd jump in here a give a little report. Yesterday I had my Directv HD Receiver and Dish installed along with an OTA Antenna, I'm located on Education Hill in Redmond so perhaps this can be helpful to anyone in this area, I don't know the brand of antenna but it is one of those that kinda looks like a propeller, circular hub in the center with two elongated hoops on the side, mounted on the roof on a small stand the same size as the Directv Dish, using antennaweb, we aimed it at 230 degrees. We did a channel scan and picked up 8 digital channels, all with signal readings between 75-100 %, KOMO, KING, KIRO, KCPQ, KONG, PBS, KTWB, KSTW.

I was very happy and the picture quality is great, Cold Case in HD was awesome!! Hope this is helpful to some.

Harold
post #559 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 AM

congrats! IBTRKN
Sounds like a simple "bow tie" UHF antenna, amazingly good reception. You must have a good line of sight to the seattle towers.
post #560 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 01:11 PM

Hi all! I'm in Fremont, pulling in over the air: NBC (5), CBS (7), UPN (11), WB (22-1), FOX (22-2) currently offair though, ABC (38) and PBS (41). They all come in at over 80% signal strength (well, ABC is actually only around 60%) using a Silver Sensor.

That's the good news. The bad news is I might be moving soon and I'm not sure I'll get good reception in the new place so I'm considering switching to Comcast. However, being a newbie to all this I don't know if I can plug Comcast Digital cable into my myHD 120 card. I can't seem to find on the website anything other than "tunes NTSC".

So can anyone out there with a myHD 120 tell me if it just works for OTA or if I can subscribe to Comcast HD and continue using my HTPC to PVR HD. (Gotta love the abbreviations).

Thanks!
Chris
post #561 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 02:56 PM

Hi Larry,

Would you mind checking my location for reception? I live at 1619 180th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA. MapPoint says my house is at coordinates 47.6242508666838 deg N and 122.09989483488513 deg W.

A couple of years ago I tried using Radio Shack's biggest directional antenna with an amplifier. I managed to get 5 seconds of signal in the 4 hours I spent on the roof. There's a a hill behind my house to the west so I think Comcast HD my best bet but I'd like to be more sure.

Thanks!
Michal
post #562 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdt9c1
Hi all! I'm in Fremont, pulling in over the air: NBC (5), CBS (7), UPN (11), WB (22-1), FOX (22-2) currently offair though, ABC (38) and PBS (41). They all come in at over 80% signal strength (well, ABC is actually only around 60%) using a Silver Sensor.

That's the good news. The bad news is I might be moving soon and I'm not sure I'll get good reception in the new place so I'm considering switching to Comcast. However, being a newbie to all this I don't know if I can plug Comcast Digital cable into my myHD 120 card. I can't seem to find on the website anything other than "tunes NTSC".

So can anyone out there with a myHD 120 tell me if it just works for OTA or if I can subscribe to Comcast HD and continue using my HTPC to PVR HD. (Gotta love the abbreviations).

Thanks!
Chris

Chris - I don't have a myHD card but I do know that Comcast uses QAM encoding for HD and you need a tuner with QAM decoding to get anything. Have you checked out the HTPC forum here? They can tell you more than you want to know about any HTPC topic. Good luck.

Larry

post #563 of 10084 Old 01-15-2004, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michalp
Hi Larry,

Would you mind checking my location for reception? I live at 1619 180th Ave NE, Bellevue, WA. MapPoint says my house is at coordinates 47.6242508666838 deg N and 122.09989483488513 deg W.

A couple of years ago I tried using Radio Shack's biggest directional antenna with an amplifier. I managed to get 5 seconds of signal in the 4 hours I spent on the roof. There's a a hill behind my house to the west so I think Comcast HD my best bet but I'd like to be more sure.

Thanks!
Michal

Michal - well first off, I need a few more decimal places in the lat-lon data (ha!). Anyway, yes, there is a large hill to the west that will block line of site to the Seattle towers. I'm afraid you're at the mercy of Comcast or a dish...

Larry

post #564 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 02:34 PM

Hi Larry,

I'm at 47.62570 degrees north and 122.05102 degrees west. I suspect it is grim since I am on the Sammamish Plateau, but wonder what you can see from your map?

TIA,

Rich
post #565 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 03:39 PM

I have had my Sony HD300 fired up since the end of December out here in Indianola (immediately north of Bainbridge Island), thought I'd report my OTA findings for everybody.

Code:
Station   ANALOG-CH   UHF-CH    RX-SIGNAL    Notes 
KOMO      4           38        10%          Won't lock on*
KING      5           48        85-90%       Solid reception
KIRO      7           39        85-90%       Solid reception
KCTS      9           41        80-85%       Occasional multipath at night
KSTW      11          36        80%          Solid reception
KVOS      12          35        0%           NO RX
KCPQ      13          18        70%          Solid, amazingly
KONG      16          31        80%          Lots of multipath at night
KTBW      20          14        0%           NO RX
KTWB      22          25        85-90%       Solid reception
KWPX      33          32        70%          Seems to go off-air at night
KHCV      45          44        60-65%       Solid reception
KWOG      51          50        55%          Solid reception
KCKA      ?           19        0%           NO RX
KBTC      ?           27        10%          Won't lock on
I'm using a Radio Shack VU-75XR VHF/UHF yagi rated for 75 miles VHF and 50 miles UHF, mounted in my attic with an elevation of approx 130-140 feet above sea level. I shoot through some sparse trees on a bearing of 113 degrees. Antennaweb states to use 112 for the CH and 114 for the QA towers, so I split the difference. If anything, I think I have a little downtilt on my antenna. I have direct line of sight to all the towers (I can even see the blinking lights at night)

The biggest problem I have is KOMO. I get about a 10% signal on my indicator, but no lock. I'm aware of the "NW shadow" from the KOMO transmitter placement on their tower (thanks to the folks on this board), and initially thought I was just doomed. I emailed KOMO and worked a bit with Don W. to try and confirm this. He said the "shadow" (null) falls across Shilshole Marina, which would be about 1-2 degrees off my line of sight to QA towers. Just when I was going to give up, I found that at night there are times I can lock on and RX KOMO. It takes a few attempts at changing the channel back and forth between 4.1 and something else, but I have about a 10% success rate after midnight. When it does lock on, the signal is rock steady in the 85-90% range like all the other QA stations. The only correlations I can find are that when I can lock on to KOMO, KONG is usally either down to 10-20% and full of multipath affects or gone completely. No way to tell if this is a direct relationship, or if maybe whatever atmospheric condition is hammering KONG is bending KOMO to my favor... it all seems very multipath related.

I tried adding attenuation, and with 18dB worth of attenuators and terminated splitters I was trashing KONG completely, getting fading on KSTW, and still couldn't get KOMO.

What I want to try next is playing with my antenna tilt, but trying to do it with just the u-bolt mount has proved difficult. Does anybody know of a commerically available tilting mount? I searched on the web but came up dry, and figure I might just have to rig something myself. The next option will be to get a CM 4228 and see if that has any better results, although I'm afraid it's narrow beamwidth will drop my KCPQ feed (which I'm amazed I can even get now considering how far off-axis it is from the direction I currently have the antenna pointed).

Moving the antenna outside might also help, but that is a touchy subject with my better half (the DirecTV oval dish makes her cringe already). Has anybody seen this?

Winegard Squareshooter

Doesn't look like it is available yet, but Winegard says it beats the CM 4221 (4-bay bowtie), and looks like it has a better chance of being wife-approved aesthetically.

-Mike

Edited: added info about attenuation.
post #566 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mike - the fact that you get both QA stations AND KCPQ from Bremerton says that your antenna is not very directional. This makes it more susceptable to multipath. A 4228 and rotor might be the answer. Also, tiliting upward about 5 degrees might help. Before you do anything drastic you might try moving the antenna around both inside and outside temporarily. Sometimes a few feet of change vertically or horizontally can make a huge difference. Thanks for the detailed report.

post #567 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PaddyOFurniture
Hi Larry,

I'm at 47.62570 degrees north and 122.05102 degrees west. I suspect it is grim since I am on the Sammamish Plateau, but wonder what you can see from your map?

TIA,

Rich

Rich - your elevation is about 510 feet and there is a 590 foot hill to the west of you. This puts you just below the LOS line from QA towers. But if you can get an antenna on the roof (30+ feet off the ground), you should have a decent chance at reception. Try a temporary setup before investing in a mast and hardware. A small antenna on a pole will tell you a lot. Your bearing should be due west. Good luck!

Larry

post #568 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 06:36 PM

The other contributing factor is that KOMO, KING, KIRO, KSTW and KONG have directional broadcasts. KCTS is the only Seattle based major network that is not directional.

I obtained some graphs from the FCC that show the broadcast directions, and let me tell you, none of them favor folks to the west. KOMO and KIRO broadcast mostly to the north, east and south, with KING going north/south. KSTW, as has been discussed, points SW but also goes equally NE. KONG focuses, strangely enough, to the SE with good strength to NE and SE, but NW is pretty weak.

I am putting together a Puget Sound DTV FAQ and these graphs will be included.
I'll post it here once I have a draft done.

-Lance
post #569 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Lance - so you have the website address where the propogation graphs are located?

post #570 of 10084 Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 PM

Here's the first draft.

FCC info via searches here:
FCC TV Search

Let me know what you think, and if you'd like to see additions. I'm sure I missed some relevant questions.

-Lance

[attachment removed, see updated version on page 31]
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page