Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 303 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #9061 of 10084 Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Lee Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,095
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron View Post

Remember its a construction permit. It won't happen overnight. Research and you'll find KING & KIRO are also authorized a megawatt ERP. I'm told that the 880-kW was the most KOMO could go to without Canadian approval. I guess they got that approval. All US stations this close to the Canadian border require permission from Canada if radiation above treaty agreed upon levels change upward crossing the border. A megawatt is the maximum allowed for US stations in the UHF band. As Trip points out, the outer coverage areas are most affected by the digital cliff effect. I'm sure all the major Seattle stations will eventually go to their maximum allowable level as they fight for eyeballs. Still, its not something that's done in a day.

The KOMO transmitter has already been upgraded to handle the 1000 kw ERP. As soon a notifications have been made to area medical facilities about the power increase it is just a matter of pushing on the "Power Up' button.

While you would think that less than a dB power increase is minor, it made a big difference at my old station and marginal reception sites (like my house).
Lee Wood is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #9062 of 10084 Old 03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joeydrunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: WA state
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is anybody in here in the Bellingham area?

Pioneer Kuro...your time is up...mwahahhahhha
joeydrunk is offline  
post #9063 of 10084 Old 03-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
artshotwell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Anacortes, Wash
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anacortes, but that's not Bellingham.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
artshotwell is offline  
post #9064 of 10084 Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeking advices from all the experts on this forum.

I live in 98012 (North Bothell) have a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 amplified directional antenna mounted on the rooftop.

I can pick up many channels with following results:

Channel / Signal Strength, Current / Signal Strength, Peak / Remarks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.1 / 75 - 81 / 81 - "Very good" with minor interruptions
5.1 / 68 - 80 / 80 - Inconsistent - Signals not steady, frequent interruptions, break-ups
7.1 / 75 - 80 / 90 - "Good" with some interruptions
9.1 / 69 / 69 - Excellent. Signal is steady like a rock
11.1 / 92 / 93 - Excellent
13.1 / 87 / 87 - Excellent
16.1 / 92 / 99 - Excellent
20.1 / 82 / 82 - Excellent
22.1 / 80 / 80 - Excellent
33.1 / 79 / 79 - Excellent

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with Ch 5.1. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
monglins is offline  
post #9065 of 10084 Old 03-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Monglins,

Sometimes, moving an antenna as little as six inches upward, downward, or sideways can make a world of difference in reception. The 'window' for me to receive channel 5 on my outdoor antenna is about ten feet over my roofline within an 18 inch height range on my mast: any higher or lower and I have no reception. Good luck,

Jim
Jim in Seattle is offline  
post #9066 of 10084 Old 03-25-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by monglins View Post

Seeking advices from all the experts on this forum.

I live in 98012 (North Bothell) have a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 amplified directional antenna mounted on the rooftop.

I can pick up many channels with following results:

Channel / Signal Strength, Current / Signal Strength, Peak / Remarks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.1 / 75 - 81 / 81 - "Very good" with minor interruptions
5.1 / 68 - 80 / 80 - Inconsistent - Signals not steady, frequent interruptions, break-ups
7.1 / 75 - 80 / 90 - "Good" with some interruptions
9.1 / 69 / 69 - Excellent. Signal is steady like a rock
11.1 / 92 / 93 - Excellent
13.1 / 87 / 87 - Excellent
16.1 / 92 / 99 - Excellent
20.1 / 82 / 82 - Excellent
22.1 / 80 / 80 - Excellent
33.1 / 79 / 79 - Excellent

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with Ch 5.1. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

monglins
What's your nearest cross streets?
Dan
DanKurts is offline  
post #9067 of 10084 Old 03-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Member
 
tschall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

--------------
OK, I'm game. If you recall, I'm stuck under the QA Hill West side retaining wall and I am completely shadowed from KOMO (and KING). Using my home brew cut-to-38 11 bar Yagi providing around 12.75 dbd gain on a 30 foot telescopic mast I have almost dependable reception. My intention was to build a longer Yagi and it may still be necessary, even with the ERP increase. Please suggest how I should seriously reconsider what I am doing.



Jim

Hi Jim: Sorry about the delay in the reply. I did not mean to imply that your engineering was unsound although it looks like I may have. I have several ideas to offer, some of which are better than others. Personally, I can't think of anything on KOMO that is worth the trouble but that isn't the point here.

The first three are my personal favorites for solving issues like you are having. They are also somewhere between completly unacceptable and insanely impractical. First, you could move. Don't see that happening so let's move on. There is cable and satellite. I use satellite at home personally and I am very happy with it. However, there is an ongoing expense incurred with either of those solutions. So, with the impractical solutions out of the way, let's try some OTA solutions.

First, almost everything you're seeing from Queen Anne where you are is gonna be bouncing off of something else. Have you tried a shorter antenna with less gain and aiming it other, seemingly incorrect, directions and looked for signal bouncing from something else?

Secondly, try the longer antennas but use an antennuator. Start at say 6db. It's counterintuitive but with a high gain antenna that close in you may need both the 'narrowness' of the longer antenna but, at the same time, be creating an overload issue.

Third, I'll assume you've tried moving the antenna in the horizontal plane. I.E.: From one end of the roof to the other.

How is your reception of the other Queen Anne stations?

Tim
tschall is offline  
post #9068 of 10084 Old 03-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Tim,

Thanks for the comeback. Aside from Jeopardy, I pretty much agree with your opinion on KOMO's programming, but there is 4.2 to try for.

You are spot-on about the RF-soup and multipath here and I think I proved that last summer when I held an antenna shoot-out on my backyard mast facing west and then south.

I compared an old style CM-4221, CM-4228, a Kosmic SuperQuad, two different corner reflectors and a 16-Bay Hoverman using the 'poor man's spectrum analyzer' - my stepped 70 db attenuator. The results were counter intuative, because the smallest sized antenna (the 4221) had superior results over any other. I intend to repeat the test this Spring comparing the 4221 and a DB-2. Smaller may be better.

Currently, the 4221 is my main antenna receiving 13, 14 (20) 7 (K-26IC-D), 27 (28), 16 (31), 22 (25) and 62 (11 translator). It is located quite low, roughly at my roof level out of site from my neighbors.

I receive KVOS-12 (35) KIRO-7 (39) and KOMO <-intermitantly) from a mast on the front of the house. It is located where it doesn't compromise any neighbor's view. This coming summer, that Yagi will be raised about two feet which may resolve the drop outs. Moving the KOMO Yagi elsewhere would likely be a problem with neighbors.

KING-5 (48) and Telemundo are received from the same mast on a different cut-to Yagi, aimed at downtown: I am certain KING is bouncing off of a skyscraper and it arrives here within an 18" height range on that mast at about 11 feet above my roofline: no higher, no lower. Seaplanes interrupt the signal for about 4 seconds each time they fly thru the stream.

Channels 9 and 11 are received on yet another cut-to-Yagi from the front mast. Tiger Mountain stations occassionally pop-in, but rarely.

Regarding 'system' attenuation, all three independent antenna systems here are split 4-ways without the use of any amplifiers or pre-amplifiers.

Back to KOMO: I have tried the prior mentioned large antennas as well as a Winegard HD-9095 at various heights in front up to 20 feet above the roof. I have tried small corner reflectors, a small periodic, a small commercially built Yagi and even a loop (tested both vertically and horizontally) at various heights up to 30 feet above the roofline. In all cases, there was never a blip of signal appearing on my screen until I built and tried my cut-to-Yagi. Bingo - well, almost!

I forgot to mention I built brackets to tilt my Yagis 10 degrees upward but testing showed no differences.

Out of curiosity, I will insert the attenuator again to see what happens before and after KOMO raises its ERP. The next real step is to raise my antenna a couple feet, 6" at a time. If the signal doesn't stabilize, I'll build a longer Yagi keeping in mind your attenuation suggestion.

Jim : )
Jim in Seattle is offline  
post #9069 of 10084 Old 03-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

monglins
What's your nearest cross streets?
Dan

Hi Dan,
I'm at Grannis Road and 35th Ave SE, Bothell.
Thanks.
monglins is offline  
post #9070 of 10084 Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by monglins View Post

Seeking advices from all the experts on this forum.

I live in 98012 (North Bothell) have a Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 amplified directional antenna mounted on the rooftop.

I can pick up many channels with following results:

Channel / Signal Strength, Current / Signal Strength, Peak / Remarks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4.1 / 75 - 81 / 81 - "Very good" with minor interruptions
5.1 / 68 - 80 / 80 - Inconsistent - Signals not steady, frequent interruptions, break-ups
7.1 / 75 - 80 / 90 - "Good" with some interruptions
9.1 / 69 / 69 - Excellent. Signal is steady like a rock
11.1 / 92 / 93 - Excellent
13.1 / 87 / 87 - Excellent
16.1 / 92 / 99 - Excellent
20.1 / 82 / 82 - Excellent
22.1 / 80 / 80 - Excellent
33.1 / 79 / 79 - Excellent

I don't understand why I am having so much trouble with Ch 5.1. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

monglins
You're in a pretty good spot. Of course, if there are any major trees close by in the SW direction, it could be a problem for some channels.
The Square shooter isn't that swift. If you pop the cover, it's just a small pair of concentric copper wires on plastic. I gave the unamplified version a fair test for about 6 months at various locations. It's in my garage on the loser pile of antennas. Yes, it's a nice looking design, but other antennas at much lower prices perform far better. A 4221 runs circles around it, or a Winegard HD1080. A Chanelmaster CM2016 or CM2018 would work well for you, too.

If you've tried different locations, there isn't much else to do with it. It's not real directional, so aiming is not real critical. If you're getting fair results with it, the direction is most likely okay.
Think it might be time for an upgrade. You shouldn't need an amplifier unless you're feeding 3 or more TV's.
Dan
DanKurts is offline  
post #9071 of 10084 Old 03-30-2011, 05:19 AM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

monglins
You're in a pretty good spot. Of course, if there are any major trees close by in the SW direction, it could be a problem for some channels.
The Square shooter isn't that swift. If you pop the cover, it's just a small pair of concentric copper wires on plastic. I gave the unamplified version a fair test for about 6 months at various locations. It's in my garage on the loser pile of antennas. Yes, it's a nice looking design, but other antennas at much lower prices perform far better. A 4221 runs circles around it, or a Winegard HD1080. A Chanelmaster CM2016 or CM2018 would work well for you, too.

If you've tried different locations, there isn't much else to do with it. It's not real directional, so aiming is not real critical. If you're getting fair results with it, the direction is most likely okay.
Think it might be time for an upgrade. You shouldn't need an amplifier unless you're feeding 3 or more TV's.
Dan

Dan,
Yes, I have been thinking of an upgrade to Chanelmaster CM2016.
Thanks for your suggestions.
monglins is offline  
post #9072 of 10084 Old 04-01-2011, 08:56 PM
Member
 
tschall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

Tim,

Thanks for the comeback. Aside from Jeopardy, I pretty much agree with your opinion on KOMO's programming, but there is 4.2 to try for.

You are spot-on about the RF-soup and multipath here and I think I proved that last summer when I held an antenna shoot-out on my backyard mast facing west and then south.

I compared an old style CM-4221, CM-4228, a Kosmic SuperQuad, two different corner reflectors and a 16-Bay Hoverman using the 'poor man's spectrum analyzer' - my stepped 70 db attenuator. The results were counter intuative, because the smallest sized antenna (the 4221) had superior results over any other. I intend to repeat the test this Spring comparing the 4221 and a DB-2. Smaller may be better.

Currently, the 4221 is my main antenna receiving 13, 14 (20) 7 (K-26IC-D), 27 (28), 16 (31), 22 (25) and 62 (11 translator). It is located quite low, roughly at my roof level out of site from my neighbors.

I receive KVOS-12 (35) KIRO-7 (39) and KOMO <-intermitantly) from a mast on the front of the house. It is located where it doesn't compromise any neighbor's view. This coming summer, that Yagi will be raised about two feet which may resolve the drop outs. Moving the KOMO Yagi elsewhere would likely be a problem with neighbors.

KING-5 (48) and Telemundo are received from the same mast on a different cut-to Yagi, aimed at downtown: I am certain KING is bouncing off of a skyscraper and it arrives here within an 18" height range on that mast at about 11 feet above my roofline: no higher, no lower. Seaplanes interrupt the signal for about 4 seconds each time they fly thru the stream.

Channels 9 and 11 are received on yet another cut-to-Yagi from the front mast. Tiger Mountain stations occassionally pop-in, but rarely.

Regarding 'system' attenuation, all three independent antenna systems here are split 4-ways without the use of any amplifiers or pre-amplifiers.

Back to KOMO: I have tried the prior mentioned large antennas as well as a Winegard HD-9095 at various heights in front up to 20 feet above the roof. I have tried small corner reflectors, a small periodic, a small commercially built Yagi and even a loop (tested both vertically and horizontally) at various heights up to 30 feet above the roofline. In all cases, there was never a blip of signal appearing on my screen until I built and tried my cut-to-Yagi. Bingo - well, almost!

I forgot to mention I built brackets to tilt my Yagis 10 degrees upward but testing showed no differences.

Out of curiosity, I will insert the attenuator again to see what happens before and after KOMO raises its ERP. The next real step is to raise my antenna a couple feet, 6" at a time. If the signal doesn't stabilize, I'll build a longer Yagi keeping in mind your attenuation suggestion.

Jim : )

Ya know, I'm sitting at the YMCA watching my daughter and her friend swim, which has nothing to do with your reception issues but it does give me time to think.

Part of my issue, is that I had east and west screwed around in my head. I'm also now wondering if maybe you are just to close to the KOMO tower. Not it terms of their ERP causing overload or multipath issues but in terms of their antenna pattern. Broadcast antennas tend to spray signal out at the horizon and there typically isn't a whole lot of RF (or signal) on the ground close in to the base of the towers. Just something I'm cogitating.
tschall is offline  
post #9073 of 10084 Old 04-01-2011, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschall View Post

Ya know, I'm sitting at the YMCA watching my daughter and her friend swim, which has nothing to do with your reception issues but it does give me time to think.

Part of my issue, is that I had east and west screwed around in my head. I'm also now wondering if maybe you are just to close to the KOMO tower. Not it terms of their ERP causing overload or multipath issues but in terms of their antenna pattern. Broadcast antennas tend to spray signal out at the horizon and there typically isn't a whole lot of RF (or signal) on the ground close in to the base of the towers. Just something I'm cogitating.

tschall
Don't try to over think it.
I grew up on the hill, know it all too well, and the problems with reception have been there since they turned on the power. Even using my meter has proven to be a real challenge in some locations that should be a slam dunk.
Trying to use theory there will drive you nuts.

One of Jim's biggest problems is that the hill has a sharp rise right behind him in the direction of the towers. That's why the tall masts.

The other biggy is partly what you mentioned. Main signal is shooting over his head. What's left is very spotty. It's still strong, for sure, but when viewed on the meter, waveshape is all over the place, even if you have line of sight. Go one block, and it looks great. One more block, ugly. Very unpredictable. And splatters off everything. You can aim the antenna at some wierd things and get big nulls and peaks.

There's also waves that run over the ground from the towers that can add to the problem, again because he's so close. One of my high school friends gets the best reception by setting his 4221 in the grass and leaning it up against the house. Pick it up of the ground, reception's gone! He's about half mile from the towers.

Jim's done an amazing job through trial and error, without a meter, and gets my "Perserverance Over Insanity" award!

Dan
DanKurts is offline  
post #9074 of 10084 Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post
monglins
You're in a pretty good spot. Of course, if there are any major trees close by in the SW direction, it could be a problem for some channels.
The Square shooter isn't that swift. If you pop the cover, it's just a small pair of concentric copper wires on plastic. I gave the unamplified version a fair test for about 6 months at various locations. It's in my garage on the loser pile of antennas. Yes, it's a nice looking design, but other antennas at much lower prices perform far better. A 4221 runs circles around it, or a Winegard HD1080. A Chanelmaster CM2016 or CM2018 would work well for you, too.

If you've tried different locations, there isn't much else to do with it. It's not real directional, so aiming is not real critical. If you're getting fair results with it, the direction is most likely okay.
Think it might be time for an upgrade. You shouldn't need an amplifier unless you're feeding 3 or more TV's.
Dan
Hi Dan,
Ch 5.1 comes in crystal clean this morning/noon at over 82% strength.
Wondering if this has a lot to do weather itself or whether my Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 is particular sensitive to the weather (& the particular frequency/Ch 5.1?). However, this doesn't explain why I am getting excellent reception with the other channels.
Thanks.
monglins is offline  
post #9075 of 10084 Old 04-03-2011, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by monglins View Post

Hi Dan,
Ch 5.1 comes in crystal clean this morning/noon at over 82% strength.
Wondering if this has a lot to do weather itself or whether my Winegard SquareShooter SS-2000 is particular sensitive to the weather (& the particular frequency/Ch 5.1?). However, this doesn't explain why I am getting excellent reception with the other channels.
Thanks.

monglins
Each channel has its own frequency, transmitting power, location, height above sea level, and more.
Trees, among other obstructions, can be very frequency selective in how much they absorb or scatter the signal.
Antennas come in many different designs to make up for the differences each location may require.
NONE will receive ALL channels equally. Even if you see every channel fine, and your "strength" indications on your TV's tuner (which aren't really true signal levels, just an indication of quality) says they are all 100%, in reality, seen on a field strength meter/scope, they can be very different. Digital pictures will look perfect if there's barely enough signal or at the maximum end of it's reception limits. You won't see any difference. The channels you think are just fine could be barely hanging on. Ch5, for you, at your location, with that particular antenna, is working just slightly less, right at the edge of minimum.
But wait! There's more.
If you add in to all this a bunch of trees, for example, and then have their limbs move around in the wind like a movable blind, and change their ability to absorb signal between wet or dry, you have one channel that's not so good while others seem to be just fine.
Finally, you could have a corroded connection inside the antenna that's sensitive to dry or humid conditions.

So now that you're totally confused, aren't you glad you asked ?!?!?

Dan
DanKurts is offline  
post #9076 of 10084 Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
rdvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northwest Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
KRKO 1380 Everett

Birthday wishes to KRKO-AM 1380 in Everett. They trace their beginnings back to April 1920, making this their 91st birthday.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
rdvegas is online now  
post #9077 of 10084 Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Kelly From KOMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 294
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

tschall
Don't try to over think it.
I grew up on the hill, know it all too well, and the problems with reception have been there since they turned on the power. Even using my meter has proven to be a real challenge in some locations that should be a slam dunk.
Trying to use theory there will drive you nuts.

One of Jim's biggest problems is that the hill has a sharp rise right behind him in the direction of the towers. That's why the tall masts.

The other biggy is partly what you mentioned. Main signal is shooting over his head. What's left is very spotty. It's still strong, for sure, but when viewed on the meter, waveshape is all over the place, even if you have line of sight. Go one block, and it looks great. One more block, ugly. Very unpredictable. And splatters off everything. You can aim the antenna at some wierd things and get big nulls and peaks.

There's also waves that run over the ground from the towers that can add to the problem, again because he's so close. One of my high school friends gets the best reception by setting his 4221 in the grass and leaning it up against the house. Pick it up of the ground, reception's gone! He's about half mile from the towers.

Jim's done an amazing job through trial and error, without a meter, and gets my "Perserverance Over Insanity" award!

Dan

There is one cheesy-cheap way of determining whether you have low signal/high signal level verses multipath. Take a tuner, unplug the F connector from your in-house CATV system, open a paperclip bent in the middle to 90 degrees and plug it into the F connector of the receiver. If you get good, solid signal quality, then your problem is multipath or receiver overload. If you get no signal, then you could have low field strength, but somehow I doubt it.

Another thing to consider, is the signal issues you had with KOMO prior to their antenna replacement may be completely different than now. The height of the new antenna is higher on the tower, there are presubably less if not few reflections from the tower steel verses the old side-mounted antenna, and the new top mounted antenna contains a vertical polarization component that didn't exist before. Assuming you're dealing with the same issues may be incorrect. The vertical component will indeed put more signal on the ground than just a vertical antenna only. As Tim pointed out previously, you could now be dealing with a horizontal receive antenna, catching reflections of the Vertical component on the ground or the front end of your receiver being over-driven. Unfortunately traditional resistive attenuators are not bandwidth linear, that is flat in attenuation across the spectrum, including a 6Mhz single DTV channel.

32 Year Broadcast Technical Veteran with over ten years in DTV transmission and reception experience.
Kelly From KOMO is offline  
post #9078 of 10084 Old 04-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
rdvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northwest Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
MeTV

KVOS-12 Bellingham is a new affiliate of MeTV, or soon will be. The classics programming network is sure to succeed in this market blasting their content to all those Canadians and Americans in the KVOS service area.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
rdvegas is online now  
post #9079 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

monglins
Each channel has its own frequency, transmitting power, location, height above sea level, and more.
Trees, among other obstructions, can be very frequency selective in how much they absorb or scatter the signal.
Antennas come in many different designs to make up for the differences each location may require.
NONE will receive ALL channels equally. Even if you see every channel fine, and your "strength" indications on your TV's tuner (which aren't really true signal levels, just an indication of quality) says they are all 100%, in reality, seen on a field strength meter/scope, they can be very different. Digital pictures will look perfect if there's barely enough signal or at the maximum end of it's reception limits. You won't see any difference. The channels you think are just fine could be barely hanging on. Ch5, for you, at your location, with that particular antenna, is working just slightly less, right at the edge of minimum.
But wait! There's more.
If you add in to all this a bunch of trees, for example, and then have their limbs move around in the wind like a movable blind, and change their ability to absorb signal between wet or dry, you have one channel that's not so good while others seem to be just fine.
Finally, you could have a corroded connection inside the antenna that's sensitive to dry or humid conditions.

So now that you're totally confused, aren't you glad you asked ?!?!?

Dan

Hi Dan,
No, I'm not confused. Your explanations indicated the challenges with my location and perhaps, it's more of an art than a science.
Installed new CM2016 antenna but there is no improvement (Ch5.1) compared to the old antenna. All others remain the same.
Do you think an amplifier will help? If so, which model would you recommend.
Thanks.
monglins is offline  
post #9080 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
MeTV

KVOS-12 Bellingham is a new affiliate of MeTV, or soon will be. The classics programming network is sure to succeed in this market blasting their content to all those Canadians and Americans in the KVOS service area.
And that's not the only one they're picking up. Newport's signing-on TheCoolTV, too:

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2...cooltv-diginet
pastiche is offline  
post #9081 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
They're only picking up Cool TV on 10 of their 22 stations. No knowing yet if KVOS is one of them; I e-mailed Cool TV to inquire and have no idea if they will respond.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9082 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
They're only picking up Cool TV on 10 of their 22 stations. No knowing yet if KVOS is one of them; I e-mailed Cool TV to inquire and have no idea if they will respond.

- Trip
The link I posted listed these ten markets:

Harrisburg, Pa.; Seattle-Tacoma; Albany-Schenectady-Troy, N.Y.; Jackson, Tenn.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Little Rock-Pine Bluff, Ark.; Salt Lake City; Tulsa, Okla.; Wichita-Hutchison, Kan.; and Memphis, Tenn.

pastiche is offline  
post #9083 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Oh, sorry. There was a story on the same site (TVNewsCheck) this morning which did not have that information. They must have updated it some time during the day.

My mistake.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9084 of 10084 Old 04-07-2011, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by monglins View Post
Hi Dan,
No, I'm not confused. Your explanations indicated the challenges with my location and perhaps, it's more of an art than a science.
Installed new CM2016 antenna but there is no improvement (Ch5.1) compared to the old antenna. All others remain the same.
Do you think an amplifier will help? If so, which model would you recommend.
Thanks.
monglins
That's very surprising.
The two antennas are very different, and the 2016 has a much better UHF section. Even without an amplifier it should've worked. Are you running one TV or splitting it with a 4way? Did you use the same cable and balun? Is it an older run or new the whole way? Is the cable attached with t-59 staples or ...? Did you try a different location? What brand is your tuner?
Dan
DanKurts is offline  
post #9085 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member
 
rdvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northwest Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

They're only picking up Cool TV on 10 of their 22 stations. No knowing yet if KVOS is one of them; I e-mailed Cool TV to inquire and have no idea if they will respond.

- Trip

Trip must have had second thoughts. Rabbit Ears now shows that KVOS will place The Cool on their 12.2 for music videos. TV for the North Puget Sound and the Peace Arch area is getting much better. And what will happen as the Canadians near their digital transition this Fall? Only time will tell.

I think original KVOS owner Rogan Jones would be smiling.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
rdvegas is online now  
post #9086 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This morning at 8:30 KVOS ran an ad saying MeTV is coming to KVOS April, 25. I hope they are allowed to/choose to continue providing their own local content: it would be a shame to lose productions like The Pickford Classic movies: Julie and I haven't missed one in weeks.

Jim
Jim in Seattle is offline  
post #9087 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Trip in VA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Alexandria, VA, US | Age: 25
Posts: 14,356
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
I replied down a bit from that post.

I actually got an e-mail back from Cool TV this morning confirming it will be on 12-2.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Trip in VA is offline  
post #9088 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
Newbie
 
monglins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

monglins
That's very surprising.
The two antennas are very different, and the 2016 has a much better UHF section. Even without an amplifier it should've worked. Are you running one TV or splitting it with a 4way? Did you use the same cable and balun? Is it an older run or new the whole way? Is the cable attached with t-59 staples or ...? Did you try a different location? What brand is your tuner?
Dan

Dan,
I replaced only the antenna and connected to cable already in place. I'm not splitting the cable but use a connector at the "main hub" to Panasonic-HDTV.
My old antenna was located at a different location (lower elevation) but lost Ch9 when KCTS reverted back to original VHS frequency. If I remember correctly, the "old" location picked up Ch5 very nicely.
May be I will experiment with different locations (even the original spot again) to resolve this problem but it's such a pain; you know what I mean.
Thank-you so much for your suggestions.
monglins is offline  
post #9089 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
rdvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northwest Las Vegas
Posts: 940
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

This morning at 8:30 KVOS ran an ad saying MeTV is coming to KVOS April, 25. I hope they are allowed to/choose to continue providing their own local content: it would be a shame to lose productions like The Pickford Classic movies: Julie and I haven't missed one in weeks.

Jim

Antenna TV allows their affiliates to pre-empt a certain amount of network programming. It should be the same for MeTV. It used to be FCC regs that a network could not force a station to carry all of their programming if the affiliate wanted to air other stuff.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
rdvegas is online now  
post #9090 of 10084 Old 04-08-2011, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DanKurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by monglins View Post
Dan,
I replaced only the antenna and connected to cable already in place. I'm not splitting the cable but use a connector at the "main hub" to Panasonic-HDTV.
My old antenna was located at a different location (lower elevation) but lost Ch9 when KCTS reverted back to original VHS frequency. If I remember correctly, the "old" location picked up Ch5 very nicely.
May be I will experiment with different locations (even the original spot again) to resolve this problem but it's such a pain; you know what I mean.
Thank-you so much for your suggestions.
monglins
Before you go further, get a premade cable from Rat Shack, and try it from the antenna to the TV. Don't staple it down, just run through the window or whatever is easy for a test. If it works, then swap out the original cable run. If not, you can return it. It's very possible to have a damaged cable and not realize it, and it can put a hole in just one or two channels. If it gets kinked, stepped on or pulled too hard, it can look okay, but be bad inside.
Replace the balun, too, if you didn't use a new one.
Dan
DanKurts is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off