Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 307 - AVS Forum
First ... 305  306  307 308  309  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Seattle, WA - OTA
cradlerobber's Avatar cradlerobber 03:48 PM 09-23-2011
Eric,

I live in Woodinville, north of Cottage Lake, behind Woodinville Motors (Woodinville-Duvall Road). I have a Clearstream 2 on the south side of the house about 10 feet off the ground. I have been having issues trying to pick up 5.1 and 5.2 as well. Depending on the weather, it will either come in well, or hardly at all. Sometimes the signal strength appears to be non-existent. I can pick up 4,5,9, etc without any issues.

Hope this helps.

Whidbey's Avatar Whidbey 08:21 PM 09-28-2011
... since I've posted to this forum!

Liker many, I miss the Canadian stations since their analog signals went dark. My DTV-Pal convertors are picking up something digital from up there, as it tell me I have a bunch of new "services" added with call signs like CBUT and so on, but so far I have had no luck viewing a picture on any of the new digital signals.

Anyone have any luck watching Canadian digital TV?

Also... I don't need my big wide VHF antenna for channel 2 anymore, plus it's held together with zip ties. Time to replace it. I'm looking for a channel 7-13 VHF model now, to compliment my CM-4228. I like the "AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 Highband-Broadband VHF HD Yagi TV Antenna for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13". Are there any stores where it's stocked locally? I'd like to try to save on shipping charges.

Thanks!

James
be236's Avatar be236 12:16 AM 09-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post

Liker many, I miss the Canadian stations since their analog signals went dark. My DTV-Pal convertors are picking up something digital from up there, as it tell me I have a bunch of new "services" added with call signs like CBUT and so on, but so far I have had no luck viewing a picture on any of the new digital signals.

Also... I don't need my big wide VHF antenna for channel 2 anymore, plus it's held together with zip ties. Time to replace it. I'm looking for a channel 7-13 VHF model now, to compliment my CM-4228. I like the "AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 Highband-Broadband VHF HD Yagi TV Antenna for Channels 7-13 (Y5-7-13". Are there any stores where it's stocked locally? I'd like to try to save on shipping charges.

Thanks!

James

James, post your location (doesnt have to be exact, street intersection would be good)... then we can see if you have good signal for your area.

I too miss those Vancouver stations.
rbico's Avatar rbico 01:46 PM 09-29-2011
i just hooked up a channel master 4220mhd to my roof. i live in lynnwood off of 176th near st thomas moore school. I get about 25 channels and most are good except king5 which seems to get pixellated fairly often and stutter/lag from time to time. Most recently I was watching some snow report and when they would pan from the landscape of snow to a person talking, i would see pixellation. I have the antenna pointed almost exactly at 168º so I think it's pointed the correct way. I have no obstructions, really either.

any advice?
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 08:14 PM 09-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbico View Post

i just hooked up a channel master 4220mhd to my roof. i live in lynnwood off of 176th near st thomas moore school. I get about 25 channels and most are good except king5 which seems to get pixellated fairly often and stutter/lag from time to time. Most recently I was watching some snow report and when they would pan from the landscape of snow to a person talking, i would see pixellation. I have the antenna pointed almost exactly at 168º so I think it's pointed the correct way. I have no obstructions, really either.

any advice?

rbico
The antenna is not that directional, so aiming it basically south, and then tweaking a little should do it. The fact it's working that well for you says your probably in a pretty good spot. Elevation 450ft and topography says the same. Of course, trees and buildings might be a problem as well. My guess is you just have too small an antenna. Ch5 is the highest in frequency, and falls off the fastest over distance. You just a bit more metal for receiving the signal. The 4221 would be better, and the 4228 would be my choice as it does a fair job on ch's 9-11-13. I would give that one a try. You could get a longer pipe, same size, at Fry's, as well as the antenna, and keep the foot you have. Add a piece one inch angle to the back of the mast near the top, anchor the other end to the roof, or what ever works, to give it some strength. This antenna is a little more directional, but from where you are, shouldn't be that fussy.
Let us know what happens.
Dan
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 08:32 PM 09-29-2011
Quote:

Thanks!

James

James
That's a pretty good compromise for VHF Hi. From where you are, it should be good enough. I'm assuming your using a preamp for VHF/UHF, so that should help. If you go longer on the antenna, it will get more directional, and might be hard to get both ch9-11 direction, and ch13, a bit more SW from you. It's cheap enough, too, so no big loss if you can't unload it. Do NOT go for a Winegard yagi. They have a similar design, and work fair, but have lousy balun attachment points.
RatShack has the Antennacraft for $27. Their part number is 15-048. Web says they give free shipping
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=11000531
Let us know how it works up there.
Dan
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 06:25 PM 10-01-2011
Sept. 20, Gord at Northwest Broadcasters http://members.shaw.ca/nwbroadcasters/recentnews.htm reported KVOS was working on how their channels were mapping. Before they did this both dot channels mapped correctly here, but now my Sony Bravia no longer decodes real channel 35.1 as 12.1 ... the diagnostic screen shows their signal present, but there is no audio or video. However, it now decodes 12.1 as 35.3!

The owner's manual does not cover this issue. Does anyone know how to force a Sony tuner to behave? I should add, my CM-7000 converter box continues to map correctly and does not find "35.3".

Secondly, as of this morning I don't have any signal from KIROs Silverdale translator K26IC-D and thus no TVGOS, so I assume that transmitter is dark again. RATS! I use the same antenna to receive several other channels and none of them have changed in reception quality nor signal.

Jim
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 08:42 PM 10-02-2011
K26IC-D is still dark.
be236's Avatar be236 10:53 PM 10-02-2011
I didnt know Fry's sells outdoor antennas and pre-amps.. hmmm.. maybe need to go check it out. (heh)
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 08:57 PM 10-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post

I didnt know Fry's sells outdoor antennas and pre-amps.. hmmm.. maybe need to go check it out. (heh)

be236
Most of the time, yes. Amplifers are hit and miss, and they seem to keep moving them around. Ask if you don't see it. Channelmaster can get waaaaay behind on orders, so you might want to call Frys, first, before going there.
Dan
be236's Avatar be236 10:16 PM 10-05-2011
Do you have any experience with KT-200 pre-amps with low NF of 0.4 dB? Are there other companies that much such low NF?
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 01:06 AM 10-06-2011
Quote:

Do you have any experience with KT-200 pre-amps with low NF of 0.4 dB? Are there other companies that much such low NF?

be236
No, haven't tried one of these. That's an amazingly low noise figure. Most popular brands have around 1.5 to 4. I would be curious to know what the KT200 headroom is.
The only one I use is the Channelmaster 7777 or 7775, which has a noise figure of around 2.0, as I recall. Have tried many others in the past, but always got let down, or had a call back. What I have also found is that very few preamplifiers have +54db of headroom like these two Channelmasters. I have actually used these as a substitute, while waiting for a replacement, as a main amp in apartments and even once at a Magnolia store when theirs died. Feed in +25db, get over +50db out and no distortion, with 10 to 12 main channels in. And they worked well with old analog systems, where you would see the noise, unlike digital. Even has some signal leveling and a little bit of tilt built in, too.
What all this means is it's always good to have a low noise figure, but it's not the only thing to consider. The Channelmaster is a well proven preamp, been out for a long time, has been updated along the way, and it's still a top seller. Best of all, it's about the same price as the KT200.
As always, keep doing your research, and let us know how it all turns out.
Dan
laurienicol's Avatar laurienicol 10:52 AM 10-06-2011
Laurie in Ladner BC with a CM4228

I have been getting the Seattle station, KZJO (25 remapping to 22.1,22.2 and 22.3) reliably since I put up my antenna last fall and cut the cable.
This summer I started to experience reception problems. I got an email from their engineer last month that they were transmitting at half power and that it would be fixed right away. Now rather than spotting reception that I was getting in August, I get absolutely no signal whatsoever for the last couple of weeks.
Yet, I get reports of a strong signal being received up the Fraser Valley. Does anyone know if a big building has been erected in the pathway or if they have aligned their transmitter differently or if there is still a power problem É
laurie
Eric J's Avatar Eric J 05:15 PM 10-06-2011
I too am in east woodinville and recently stopped getting KWPX (33), but other signals from that direction (42, 51) are coming in fine. Anyone else seeing this?
allen98311's Avatar allen98311 09:25 PM 10-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post

I too am in east woodinville and recently stopped getting KWPX (33), but other signals from that direction (42, 51) are coming in fine. Anyone else seeing this?

Is 51 still coming from over there or did they move to the KOMO tower?
rdn's Avatar rdn 06:45 PM 10-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post

33 was always a bit iffy for me, but I haven't received it at all for a few months.
russb82's Avatar russb82 02:54 PM 10-10-2011
I need some help. I am about to cut my cable and just stream throught the internet. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what antenna that is best for get the digital channels. Anyone have any suggestions? I would perfer one that is indoor.
levibluewa's Avatar levibluewa 04:57 PM 10-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by russb82 View Post

I need some help. I am about to cut my cable and just stream throught the internet. I was wondering if anyone had advice on what antenna that is best for get the digital channels. Anyone have any suggestions? I would perfer one that is indoor.

I'm using a Channel Master 4228HD antenna with a CM 7777 pre-amp and CM 9521A rotor on a 5' mast chimney mounted for the Vancouver HD stations. From my experience, good luck if you don't put your antenna on a rotor.

http://www.solidsignal.com/
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 08:06 PM 10-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by russb82 View Post

russb82
What's your nearest cross streets?
Dan
be236's Avatar be236 11:04 PM 10-10-2011
Yeah, I'm gonna bite the bullet and order this KT-200 pre-amp... first to see if I can get any BC stations (at least CHAN, RF 22) using what-looks like a Radio Shack VU-190 antenna with supposed 10dB gain.

Then I plan to order AD 91XG high gain UHF deep fringe antenna and hope to pick up at least 1-2 if not more BC stations.

Their NM (per Tvfool) for my location is -8dB to -15dB (ouch!).
be236's Avatar be236 11:05 PM 10-10-2011
Quote:

Thanks!

James

James, post our Tvfool report so we can see if you have a chance to get those BC stations.
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 11:39 PM 10-10-2011
Quote:

Yeah, I'm gonna bite the bullet and order this KT-200 pre-amp... first to see if I can get any BC stations (at least CHAN, RF 22) using what-looks like a Radio Shack VU-190 antenna with supposed 10dB gain.

Then I plan to order AD 91XG high gain UHF deep fringe antenna and hope to pick up at least 1-2 if not more BC stations.

Their NM (per Tvfool) for my location is -8dB to -15dB (ouch!).

be236
You said you were in the Mill Creek area, right? Never say never, but....
Be sure to check on the return policy for that order, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results!
Dan
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 12:06 AM 10-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurienicol View Post

Laurie in Ladner BC with a CM4228

I have been getting the Seattle station, KZJO (25 remapping to 22.1,22.2 and 22.3) reliably since I put up my antenna last fall and cut the cable.
This summer I started to experience reception problems. I got an email from their engineer last month that they were transmitting at half power and that it would be fixed right away. Now rather than spotting reception that I was getting in August, I get absolutely no signal whatsoever for the last couple of weeks.
Yet, I get reports of a strong signal being received up the Fraser Valley. Does anyone know if a big building has been erected in the pathway or if they have aligned their transmitter differently or if there is still a power problem É
laurie

laurienicol
WOW!
That's some amazing reception. Over 100+ miles, and just clears Mt Constitution, Orcas Island, on the east side. And most of what I can see of Ladner is around sea level. KZJO tower is pretty tall, over 600ft above the ground, and sits about 1000ft above sea level. There's nothing anywhere around it that's high enough to block signal going north or northwest.
Friend of mine has a microwave relay shot from Queen Anne Hill, about 500ft elevation, going to KVOS tower on Mt Constitution, elevation 2700ft, and then relays to Bellingham. When they set it up, the engineers said the link to Orcas just cleared the horizon at 80 miles.
The signal has to be just clearing your horizon. I would look for something near by that might be blocking. It's not going to take much. You could have been right on the very edge of what you're tuner could handle, and the picture would look just fine. It doesn't take much to knock it out at the threshold.
Dan
Whidbey's Avatar Whidbey 05:03 PM 10-11-2011
Here's my TV Fool image:
http://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/6...ar-Digital.png

Hopefully the link will work.

I ran a check with my convertor box, as it was reporting new services. I only use the convertor on my garage TV, so it rarely gets used. My HDTV with digital tuner never tells me if it sniffs new channels.

Anyway, I recieved the following when I pointed my antenna north:

130.01 DTV (no picture, but 85% signal strength)
122.01 DTV (no picture, but 85% signal strength)
117.01 CBUT-DT (no picture, but 85% signal strength)
110.03 TVW (no signal strength, don't know where it comes from)
110.02 WLDVW (no signal strength, don't know where it comes from)
102.03 KNMT-D2 (no signal strength, don't know where it comes from)
094.02 KNMT-D1 (no signal strength, don't know where it comes from)
085.01 DTV (no signal strength, don't know where it comes from)
042.01 CHNM-DT KNMT-D2 (no signal strength, Canadian Station)
032.01 CIVT (no signal strength, Canadian Station)
008.01 CHAN-HD (no signal strength, Canadian Station)
002.01 CBUT-DT (no signal strength, Canadian Station)

The first three intrigue me, especially CBUT-DT. Why is it I am getting 85% strength with no picture on 117.01, but 0% signal on 002.01?

James

PS: Thank you Dan for pointing towards RS for the antenna!
be236's Avatar be236 08:56 PM 10-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

be236
You said you were in the Mill Creek area, right? Never say never, but....
Be sure to check on the return policy for that order, and I'm looking forward to hearing the results!
Dan

Ya, Mill Creek/South Everett... The KT-200 pre-amp.... they have a '10-day return policy.'

I hope/assume that it starts when you RECEIVE it?! Otherwise it takes 1-week to ship! d'oh...

Shipping is like $7.. so I guess worse case scneario, if I were to return it, would be $14 to -and-from?!

Oh well, gotta start somewhere to increase my gain (remove my cable losses)...
be236's Avatar be236 09:04 PM 10-11-2011
Quote:

Here's my TV Fool image:

I ran a check with my convertor box, as it was reporting new services. I only use the convertor on my garage TV, so it rarely gets used. My HDTV with digital tuner never tells me if it sniffs new channels.

The first three intrigue me, especially CBUT-DT. Why is it I am getting 85% strength with no picture on 117.01, but 0% signal on 002.01?

James

Wow, James, looks like your converter box needs a factory/reset to re-number those virtual numbers correctly.. eg, those channel numbers 85 and above.

Looking at your report you should be able to get CHAN (RF 22), CHNM (20), CIVT (33) easily with your setup.

Also, I dont see CBUT (43) in your report. Are you sure you set the options on the report page to "PENDING - DIGITAL ONLY?" That will give you the most accurate numbers here.

You location has better NM values than my location...

With that said, if I were you, I'd buy a 91XG and aim at that particular Vancouver location... many people on websites have said this is a top-choice for deep-fringe channels...

I wish I had your NM numbers. :-) Maybe I need to move up north... There are some spots in the area that show signals... Everett(near Boeing), Mill Creek (Silver Firs area), Lake Stevens, parts of Marysville and good chunks in Stanwood (has LOS) ...
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 09:34 PM 10-11-2011
So, K26IC-D is dead and I no longer have any way to receive TVGOS nor CBS without making antenna changes. Had I known KIRO would abandon that translator, I would have put a different antenna into the air during the 3 weeks of good weather this past summer. I can receive their main transmitter on top of QA Hill or their Vashon translator using different antennas, but I expected them to have restored their Silverdale/Bremerton translator by now. My mistake.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

From 08/27

-------------
Update:

To regain their signal I pushed the DB-2 in the air 38 feet above ground level and I finally found it at a 'strength' of 5-10 with breakups. Later, I reinstalled the 4221 and at about 25 feet above ground level it barely found the translator. No changes since, but as of yesterday their 'strength' is back to their usual level, 99-100 on my CM-7000 box and 43 on my Sony Bravia.

I should add, while testing the DB-2 at that crazy height I was able to capture KBCB from Mt Constitution and detected (but not quite able to reassemble) the signal from the KBTC translator in Grays Harbor, so this was not an issue with K26IC-D on my end.

Is there any chance they had an amplifier die and I was receiving their signal, albeit very weak, from an exciter? If so, I'm curious what their reduced ERP was. QRP!

Whidbey's Avatar Whidbey 09:35 PM 10-11-2011
Quote:

Wow, James, looks like your converter box needs a factory/reset to re-number those virtual numbers correctly.. eg, those channel numbers 85 and above.

It's a DTV-Pal Clone, the TR-40. It has a mind of it's own. One thing it's good at is letting me know there are channels available I can't get 99.99% of the time.
rdvegas's Avatar rdvegas 09:15 AM 10-12-2011
Quote:

Here's my TV Fool image:

James

Any chance you have the converter set to cable instead of antenna?
rbico's Avatar rbico 03:03 PM 10-12-2011
thanks a bunch, Dan. I will try your suggestions, but it may be a few months.
First ... 305  306  307 308  309  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop