Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 313 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 311  312  313 314  315  ... Last
Local HDTV Info and Reception > Seattle, WA - OTA
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 12:15 AM 01-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Halpern View Post

Hi,

we live in Seward Park, use an antenna connected to the TV, and while FOX has been finnicky for years, we always have been able to get it.

The day we hooked up our Samsung TV all the channels worked fine, but 2 days later we lost connection to channel 13 FOX and haven't been able to get it back. ( except it flickered on for a second today, but went away just as fast)

we've moved the antenna every which way, checked the connection to the Tivo - but nada.

help?

thanks!

Lisa

Lisa Halpern
Ch13 comes from the west, Bremerton area, and in most parts of your area Beacon Hill blocks the signal.
What's your nearest cross streets and I'll check it out further.
Also, Ch13 is available on ch22-2, in standard definition, which should come in okay in your area.
Dan

rdiotte's Avatar rdiotte 10:52 AM 01-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post

Say Ron,

Will KSTW be getting any sub channels, any time soon? Like KOMO, KING, etc already do?

no planned sub channels at this time for KSTW.
(single channel...more bits...higher quality)

Ron D.
CE, KSTW
quarque's Avatar quarque 12:05 PM 01-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiotte View Post

no planned sub channels at this time for KSTW.
(single channel...more bits...higher quality)

Ron D.
CE, KSTW

Kudos! I hate sub-channels and like the fact that you are sticking with the higher quality.
rdvegas's Avatar rdvegas 04:51 PM 01-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdiotte View Post

no planned sub channels at this time for KSTW.
(single channel...more bits...higher quality)

Ron D.
CE, KSTW

RabbitEars.info data from November indicates that KSTW allocates about 12 megs to the primary channel, while about 7 megs are unused and allocated to null packets. Those 7 megs are enough to drive two sub-channels without affecting the quality of the main channel, or be added back to the primary channel.
be236's Avatar be236 05:29 PM 01-13-2012
Nice! Plenty of unused bandwidth to carrier 2-subs!? Why not carry subs and get extra advertising revenue from them? Maybe have a "suggestion box" on your website about which channels to carry? :-)
Trip in VA's Avatar Trip in VA 05:41 PM 01-13-2012
Read carefully. 12 Mbps, and it's variable bitrate. Since I do not know the full range, I can only list the snapshot bitrate that I have. Most CBS O&O stations allow the variable bitrate range to top out at 17 or 18 Mbps.

- Trip
be236's Avatar be236 05:46 PM 01-13-2012
Well, I"ve seen other stations using 1080i and sub-channels and don't see much of difference in picture quality... Even if there was a slight degredation in PQ, I'd take the trade-off to get two free sub-channels to watch. heh.
rdvegas's Avatar rdvegas 09:43 AM 01-14-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

Read carefully. 12 Mbps, and it's variable bitrate. Since I do not know the full range, I can only list the snapshot bitrate that I have. Most CBS O&O stations allow the variable bitrate range to top out at 17 or 18 Mbps.

- Trip

I knew you'd bring up that logic about variable bitrates.

Seattle/Tacoma/Everett viewers should hold out for an 11.2 sub-channel titled "Cartoon Special" as a tribute to Bill McLain and Warren Reed's Crazy Donkey. Think 24/7 Looney Tunes seperated by shots of model trains.
seatacboy's Avatar seatacboy 06:11 PM 01-15-2012
I have been evaluating the performance of the Mohu Leaf indoor antenna at two different locations - one being my parents' home in north Burien and the other being my condo in SeaTac.

My initial impressions are fairly positive. This antenna cannot miraculously bring reception to a dead spot, but it does seem to be fairly good at rejecting aviation-related interference and at maintaining a stable signal on strong stations. I don't fully understand why, but this seems to perform somewhat better than the Silver Sensor and several other indoor antennas I have used.

The Mohu Leaf is tuned for UHF reception. At my condo, I was in fact able to obtain very decent stable reception on KCTS RF9 and KSTW RF11, and with considerable moving around I got some reception on KCPQ RF 13, but it generally did better with UHF stations.

Like any indoor antenna, placement is crucial and moving it by a few inches can make a big difference.

After a couple more weeks of user experience, I'll share more thoughts on this unit. If anyone else has used a Mohu Leaf locally, I'd be interested as to your reception results.
rdn's Avatar rdn 07:39 PM 01-19-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post

Well, I"ve seen other stations using 1080i and sub-channels and don't see much of difference in picture quality... Even if there was a slight degredation in PQ, I'd take the trade-off to get two free sub-channels to watch. heh.

My 73-year-old eyes (with glaucoma) can't tell much difference either, but there isn't a lot of decent programming left to fill any new subchannels (for example, 5.2 after Universal Sports went away).

I wish there were some standardization among the various subchannels (e.g., aspect ratio and pillarboxing). My Vizio doesn't handle format changes very well (although if I use the AM21 OTA tuner with my Directv receiver I can adjust for that).
seatacboy's Avatar seatacboy 09:10 AM 01-20-2012
Quick tip of the hat to local stations KCPQ, KIRO, KING and KOMO for comprehensive coverage of the severe winter storm that has affected the Seattle area.

As usual, KWPX offered no storm-related coverage. Their only token gesture of "local content" is a low-buck public affairs program called "NW Focus" that was filmed a couple of years ago. Very lame compared to what other full-power stations are offering for their local communities.

As a side note, did any of you experience reception problems during the storm?
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 10:09 AM 01-28-2012
Fixed my VHF issues by adding the $20 C2V kit to my DB4e and using the supplied hardware and existing holes:



My TV now reports 52 DTV channels (including subs) in Kirkland WA with a fair number of very tall trees around. Fox on ch.13 is now rock stable at 100% signal strengh.
be236's Avatar be236 11:19 AM 01-28-2012
52 channels (with subs) in Kirkland? Wow.. I get about 30 channels max in Mill Creek. You're so lucky!
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 11:34 AM 01-28-2012
To be fair, about 10 or so are totally blank with no content (33.100-33.400 and 46.2) and there are a lot of infomercials on other channels. But I do get 11 HD channels: 2xCBS,Fox,ABC,2xNBC,2xPBS,ION,CW,MyTv and some good action/retro SD channels: THIS,RTV,Antenna,HOT
levibluewa's Avatar levibluewa 04:50 PM 01-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leszek1 View Post

and some good action/retro SD channels: THIS,RTV,Antenna,HOT

What is HOT? and what channel #?
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 06:01 PM 01-28-2012
be236's Avatar be236 11:51 PM 01-28-2012
I think channel 46.2 (Viet TV) went "dark." Not sure what happened... Anyone know?
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 06:56 PM 01-30-2012
@ DanKurts,

You know my location and I am intrigued by the DB4e with the VHF stick Leszek1 shared above. (thanks!)

I have an old-style 4221 on one system that 'almost captures' KSTW and KCTS and if this antenna could replace my 'cut-to-9' Yagi, it would simplify my antenna switching here. Do you have any thoughts/experience with it? Thanks in advance,

Jim
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 08:36 PM 01-30-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post

@ DanKurts,

You know my location and I am intrigued by the DB4e with the VHF stick Leszek1 shared above. (thanks!)

I have an old-style 4221 on one system that 'almost captures' KSTW and KCTS and if this antenna could replace my 'cut-to-9' Yagi, it would simplify my antenna switching here. Do you have any thoughts/experience with it? Thanks in advance,

Jim

Jim
Haven't seen this one, but have installed some of these. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FWgaQgodii2itw
Similar in idea. It worked okay, better than I thought it would. About 60% to 80% of the gain of a CM4221 in UHF. Not great on VHF, more narrow in reception off axis for both VHF/UHF. Works great close in, like Ballard, if there's not many trees to deal with. I keep one in stock just for those special requirement jobs close in. Not sure how well it would do where you are, but I would use it over the one you are looking at. Has more VHF elements, and smaller in overall size.
Don't throw away your present setup, though!
Dan
SirChaos's Avatar SirChaos 12:43 AM 02-01-2012
Hey Everyone,
Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR that is falling apart and poles are breaking off.

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103087

I not too happy with it.... It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator as well.

I'm willing to spend on something good and amp (if needed).

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD?

On a side note, can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio once I switch?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Station Map Attached.
LL
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 01:20 AM 02-02-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaos View Post

Hey Everyone,
Looking for some assistance in picking a new antenna. I currently have a "lovely" Radio Shack, VU-190 XR that is falling apart and poles are breaking off.

Antenna:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103087

I not too happy with it.... It came with the house.

So, I'm looking to upgrade to something decent and with a terrific range. I have a Antenna Rotator as well.

I'm willing to spend on something good and amp (if needed).

Like I said, these items came with the house and I don't mind keeping them if these are the best options for me....or if there is something better out there.

My goal is to get Seattle HD and maybe Canada HD?

On a side note, can I use the existing antenna for a police scanner/FM Radio once I switch?

Thanks for your help everyone!

SirChaos

Station Map Attached.

SirChaos
Whats your nearest cross streets?
Dan
SirChaos's Avatar SirChaos 10:15 PM 02-02-2012
136th and 51st in Marysville
DanKurts's Avatar DanKurts 11:19 PM 02-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirChaos View Post

136th and 51st in Marysville

SirChaos
You're in the shadow of the hill by Boeing, about 35 miles from Seattle.
About a mile and a half the hilltop is in your way. Not a good thing.
If you're going to put something up, get a big one and a preamp. Try the HBU55 by Antennacraft. RatShack carries them. Use a Channelmaster 7777 preamp. Point it roughly 195 degrees, just west of due south. If it doesn't pan out, you can return it. For FM, use a separate antenna, like the Antennacraft FM6. Point it basically just east of due south and see what happens. You shouldn't need any preamp. Run a separate cable for it. Don't try and mix it with the other antenna. Put the big antenna on the rotor, and the FM mounted elsewhere, at least 5ft away, on a fixed mount. Trying to put both on the same mast above the rotor will put a lot of load on it, and they can interfere with each other.
95% of FM comes from Tiger Mt, just east of Issaquah, and from a high elevation. Direction is not really that critical. Your ears will tell you if when it's right.
Let us know what happens.
Dan
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 03:10 PM 02-05-2012
Rearanged my antenna. Now I'm picking up MeTV (12.1) and CoolTV (12.2) in addition to everything else. The antenna is pointed straight north. All the stations except physical 35 virtual 12.x are picked up by the rear of the antenna via the two lobes on the left and right on the gain graph:

LL
LL
be236's Avatar be236 10:17 PM 02-09-2012
Aim your antenna NW and you might pick up CHAN (RF 22) from Vancouver. Also, you should put your TV Fool report as "Pending Digital" only as it's easier to view. "Current" view is obsolete now.
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 01:25 PM 02-11-2012
No luck picking up 22. I also noticed that I was getting dropouts on RF27 from Tacoma. So to balance things out I took my laptop along with Fusion5 USB tuner to the roof. I finally stroke a balance between RF35 (71 miles away - NW direction, front of the antenna) and RF27 (33 miles away - SW direction, rear of the antenna):

The supplied signal checker is nice in that the "strength" is actually S/N ratio or quality and the number does not change with splitters or cable length.

To achieve the correct balance I had to lower the upper screen to expose the top most bowtie on the rear of the antenna. This lowered the forward gain slightly but elevated the rear gain allowing me to achieve the balance between the two:


I also separated the VHF dipole to point it to a different direction towards my VHF stations and added a VHF Hi/Lo splitter to remove VHF Lo & FM frequencies from the signal fed to the pre-amp. (There are a lot of strong FM stations around here)

I now receive the following RF channels with no dropouts:

VHF: 8,9,11,13
UHF: 14,25,27,31,33,35,38,39,42,44,46,48,50,51

Others, such as RF19 are too low to either get a lock or have too many dropouts.
This gives me a total of 54 TV channels with 45 of them having content and 42 of them being unique.
LL
LL
LL
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 01:50 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leszek1 View Post

To achieve the correct balance I had to lower the upper screen to expose the top most bowtie on the rear of the antenna. This lowered the forward gain slightly but elevated the rear gain allowing me to achieve the balance between the two:

Clever. Very clever.
be236's Avatar be236 03:40 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by leszek1 View Post

No luck picking up 22. I also noticed that I was getting dropouts on RF27 from Tacoma. So to balance things out I took my laptop along with Fusion5 USB tuner to the roof. I finally stroke a balance between RF35 (71 miles away - NW direction, front of the antenna) and RF27 (33 miles away - SW direction, rear of the antenna):

The supplied signal checker is nice in that the "strength" is actually S/N ratio or quality and the number does not change with splitters or cable length.

To achieve the correct balance I had to lower the upper screen to expose the top most bowtie on the rear of the antenna. This lowered the forward gain slightly but elevated the rear gain allowing me to achieve the balance between the two:


I also separated the VHF dipole to point it to a different direction towards my VHF stations and added a VHF Hi/Lo splitter to remove VHF Lo & FM frequencies from the signal fed to the pre-amp. (There are a lot of strong FM stations around here)

I now receive the following RF channels with no dropouts:

VHF: 8,9,11,13
UHF: 14,25,27,31,33,35,38,39,42,44,46,48,50,51

Others, such as RF19 are too low to either get a lock or have too many dropouts.
This gives me a total of 54 TV channels with 45 of them having content and 42 of them being unique.

That's pretty good.. What's your full Tvfool report? Your Location says Bellevue, but you say you're in Kirkland. Is RF 22 (CHAN) in your report?

Seems you get get all the local channels! That's cool.. so you're just missing that one Bellingham channel RF 24 (Shopping NBC channel)...
Jim in Seattle's Avatar Jim in Seattle 04:33 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

Jim
Haven't seen this one, but have installed some of these. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...FWgaQgodii2itw
Similar in idea. It worked okay, better than I thought it would. About 60% to 80% of the gain of a CM4221 in UHF. Not great on VHF, more narrow in reception off axis for both VHF/UHF. Works great close in, like Ballard, if there's not many trees to deal with. I keep one in stock just for those special requirement jobs close in. Not sure how well it would do where you are, but I would use it over the one you are looking at. Has more VHF elements, and smaller in overall size.
Don't throw away your present setup, though!
Dan

Dan,

Thanks for the recommendations and I assure you, I won't throw away what currently works. KOMO has been breaking up here a bit so I raised my 4221 up 6" then 12" and finally determined it is best located 6" lower than where I originally had it (at least for today). Go figure.

When I tested an old-style DB-2 last summer on the same mast but 12 feet higher, it out performed the 4221 so I suspect your suggested antenna might be a winner here.

Jim
leszek1's Avatar leszek1 05:13 PM 02-11-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by be236 View Post

That's pretty good.. What's your full Tvfool report? Your Location says Bellevue, but you say you're in Kirkland. Is RF 22 (CHAN) in your report?

Seems you get get all the local channels! That's cool.. so you're just missing that one Bellingham channel RF 24 (Shopping NBC channel)...

Actually the ShopNBC is RF19, logical 24. The signal is too low to get a lock most of the time. My TVFool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...0b860ce0ca3e20
First ... 311  312  313 314  315  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop