post #9991 of 10088 Old 02-13-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Who is watching KUSE 46.5? Anyone? Anyone? Buheler? The low power station is home to HOT (History of Television) that features a bunch of old public domain programs. The network has only four affiliates, including Seattle's little KUSE. Watching the programming reminds me of the early days of KTVW-13 and J Elroy McCaw ownership.
Exactly, except there's not the windbag commentator Bob Corcoran!! A couple of weeks ago, I did watch a great vintage movie, "The Jackie Robinson Story" about the first major-league black baseball player. Unfortunately, there's no EPG information on their programming, but if you want, their program schedule for HOT TV is included in the online TV listings at www.zap2it.com.

Even in the Renton Highlands, KUSE-LD is a weak signal. My rooftop antenna (pointed to Seattle) receives some reception, with a few breakups. Using a Philips Silver Sensor indoors, if you point it just precisely right, KUSE comes in. I have no idea what their future is.

KUSE 46.1 seems to just have color bars.
KUSE 46.2, "Peace TV", is a faith-based channel for people of the Islamic faith.
KUSE 46.3 is "SBN", which appears to be faith-based programming for Jimmy Swaggart ministries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10088 Old 02-13-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Although most of us really could not care less about K08UD (channels 8.1 through 8.7), I was testing five old CECB digital converter boxes for reception characteristics, using my roof-mounted CM 4228. One of the 5 boxes - the humble Magnavox TB-100MW - actually received a stable picture on this station! On the other stations (RF being UHF), the Magnavox did not stand out in terms of reception. I guess the Magnavox CECB is "tweaked" in favor of receiving high-VHF stations.

What's really weird about the Magnavox TB-100MW was that the indicated signal strength fluctuated between 17% and 43%. By contrast, KWPX 33.1 exhibited some signal breakups and signal strength fluctuated between 26% and 38% and KUSE-LP 46.1 also had some signal interruptions at indicated signal strength of 20% to 22%.

The least-impressive CECB in terms of "grabbing" picture and sound was the Digital Stream 9900. Too many signal breakups.

The Apex 502 CECB was pretty good, and I liked that it not only had S-Video output but had BOTH a Signal Quality and Signal Strength meter.

The RCA DTA800B was fairly good in terms of keeping solid reception. It was better than I had recalled but the color quality seemed a little bit off.

The Channel Master CM-7000 was very good but to be honest it did not really outperform the Zenith DTT-900 in terms of the actual number of channels for which viewable picture and sound were received and which were stable. With S-Video connection, picture quality was pretty good.

The Zinwell DTA-970B was the real sleeper of the bunch: reception was almost as good as the CM and Zenith, and to my eyes, the picture quality was the best of the non-S-Video CECBs. Like the Apex, my Zinwell had both Signal Quality and Signal Strength meters. The Zinwell's picture quality is the part that really stood out for me. I do NOT know if the Zinwell converter boxes still being sold on Amazon and apparently still in production perform as well as my 4-year-old specimen.

Other than the Magnavox, the tested CECBs could not retain stable reception on K08OU. The only significance of this would be folks having trouble getting stable reception on High-VHF - KCTS, KSTW and KCPQ, and of course you'd have to be okay with a slightly soft SD picture.

When I compared these with a low-cost 4-month old Funai HD set, the Funai's internal tuner was a tad bit less proficient as a tuner than the DTT-900 or CM-7000. There's no information as to whether the integrated ATSC tuners in current model Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony or Vizio sets are as good as those in the five-year-old CECBs.
post #9993 of 10088 Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Using a Philips Silver Sensor indoors, if you point it just precisely right, KUSE comes in. I have no idea what their future is.

According to RabbittEars.info, KUSE 46 has an application for an improved signal to reach out a little farther and stronger. Whether it gets built, is not a given.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9994 of 10088 Old 02-18-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Bob Corcoran, formerly with KTVW-13 and KTNT-11, dead at 83.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tribnet/obituary.aspx?n=robert-corcoran&pid=169684443

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #9995 of 10088 Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM
tg3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My OTA antenna, installed by DK, has been up for a couple of years. Although it works well, I'd like to make some changes and am looking for advice.

I am in Seattle - Broadview, nearest intersection 125th St and 7th Ave NW. Here is my tvfool profile, based on coordinates of the antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94b1a8684093

Here is what the antenna sees viewing south (of course the antenna is a bit above my head). Antenna is 4 bay, CM-4221HD, nearly 20 ft up. All compass readings are magnetic on my iPhone.

From left to right the towers are on Tiger Mt, Capital Hill, Queen Ann, Tacoma (not shown) and Bremerton. Biggest challenge is Big Bertha, the large douglas fir between my neighbors' houses. The antenna is pointed almost directly at Big Bertha.

I get just about everything from the Capital Hill, Queen Ann, Tacoma and Bremerton antennas thats green on the charts.

Here is what I would like to improve.

1. The VHF stations can get iffy during bad weather. They are at 144° (Capital Hill) and 224° (Bremerton). I think ch 9 is more often a problem than ch 13 (we don't watch ch 11). Would a dedicated hi VHF antenna like an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 be helpful? I'd aim it due south, or just to the right.

2. I cannot get KUNS-TV, ch 51, but can get everything else on the Queen Ann towers. Suggestions?

3. More importantly, I cannot reliably get KWPX-TV, ch 33 on Tiger Mt. Sometimes its perfect, sometimes its nothing, but often its very pixelated. I would really like to get the ION network, since 'Without a Trace' is a favorite. I'm in marginal spot for Tiger Mt, partially shaded by the broad ridge centered on Phinney Ave.

Would a stronger UHF antenna help, perhaps at CM4228-HD? Or a Yagi style antenna, pointed at Captal Hill? If I also use a hi VHF antenna pointed south, I would not need to worry about loosing Bremerton with a more directional Yagi.

I can also get the antenna up a bit, perhaps to 25 ft without a mast. And I could move it a bit to the east to try to dodge Big Bertha.

Comments appreciated.
post #9996 of 10088 Old 02-24-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg3 View Post

2. I cannot get KUNS-TV, ch 51, but can get everything else on the Queen Ann towers. Suggestions?

KUNS is not operating from Queen Anne yet. However, it will begin operating from there early to mid March.
post #9997 of 10088 Old 02-24-2014, 01:24 PM
tg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wood View Post

KUNS is not operating from Queen Anne yet. However, it will begin operating from there early to mid March.

Thanks! FCC database currently in error. tongue.gif
post #9998 of 10088 Old 02-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey all!

Just wanted to say that I live in Seattle and cut the cord (Comcast cable) a year ago. My HDTV is in the basement of my house. I'm talking full basement, with concrete walls all the way up to the ceiling.

Everyone (installers/everyday people) has told me that there us NO WAY I would get reception in a full basement via Antenna, unless the antenna was outdoor or upstairs indoor, with a cable running down the house to the TV in the basement. I totally wouldn't have argued this as I know the science behind this.

However, for shits and giggles I bought a cheap 10 dollar, indoor, bunny ear antenna and hooked it up to my HDTV, and I get almost ALL LOCAL channels, with my indoor antenna in my basement! With really good picture, too! I have the antenna between the concrete wall and the TV itself so it cannot be scene. Sounds like the worst set up ever, yet it gets great picture!

How is this so? All my friends with antenna barely get decent reception when they have theirs upstairs and pointed in the right direction.

Did I just get lucky?

(Not complaining, I just can't believe it.)
post #9999 of 10088 Old 02-25-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

My OTA antenna, installed by DK, has been up for a couple of years. Although it works well, I'd like to make some changes and am looking for advice.

I am in Seattle - Broadview, nearest intersection 125th St and 7th Ave NW. Here is my tvfool profile, based on coordinates of the antenna.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94b1a8684093

Here is what the antenna sees viewing south (of course the antenna is a bit above my head). Antenna is 4 bay, CM-4221HD, nearly 20 ft up. All compass readings are magnetic on my iPhone.

From left to right the towers are on Tiger Mt, Capital Hill, Queen Ann, Tacoma (not shown) and Bremerton. Biggest challenge is Big Bertha, the large douglas fir between my neighbors' houses. The antenna is pointed almost directly at Big Bertha.

I get just about everything from the Capital Hill, Queen Ann, Tacoma and Bremerton antennas thats green on the charts.

Here is what I would like to improve.

1. The VHF stations can get iffy during bad weather. They are at 144° (Capital Hill) and 224° (Bremerton). I think ch 9 is more often a problem than ch 13 (we don't watch ch 11). Would a dedicated hi VHF antenna like an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13 be helpful? I'd aim it due south, or just to the right.

3. More importantly, I cannot reliably get KWPX-TV, ch 33 on Tiger Mt. Sometimes its perfect, sometimes its nothing, but often its very pixelated. I would really like to get the ION network, since 'Without a Trace' is a favorite. I'm in marginal spot for Tiger Mt, partially shaded by the broad ridge centered on Phinney Ave.

Would a stronger UHF antenna help, perhaps at CM4228-HD? Or a Yagi style antenna, pointed at Captal Hill? If I also use a hi VHF antenna pointed south, I would not need to worry about loosing Bremerton with a more directional Yagi.

I can also get the antenna up a bit, perhaps to 25 ft without a mast. And I could move it a bit to the east to try to dodge Big Bertha.

Comments appreciated.

TG3
It looks like the antenna, if that's the one in the picture above your name, is just a UHF 4221, and mounted on the west wall of the house. That might be part of the problem for ch51 & ch33. A VHF high band would definitely help ch 9 & ch 13, but might be a problem. If you use a yagi, style, the angle between ch13 & ch9 might be a bit too much for it to work. However, if you were to use a Channelmaster 4228, and get it mounted on the south side of the house, It might just work for all the channels. Although the 4228 is UHF only antenna, it's connecting rods, between the two sides, acts like a VHF high band. Not real strong, but at your location might be enough to work. If not, a preamp would probably get the levels up enough to lock in.
Dan
post #10000 of 10088 Old 02-25-2014, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperVenom18 View Post

Hey all!

Just wanted to say that I live in Seattle and cut the cord (Comcast cable) a year ago. My HDTV is in the basement of my house. I'm talking full basement, with concrete walls all the way up to the ceiling.

Everyone (installers/everyday people) has told me that there us NO WAY I would get reception in a full basement via Antenna, unless the antenna was outdoor or upstairs indoor, with a cable running down the house to the TV in the basement. I totally wouldn't have argued this as I know the science behind this.

However, for shits and giggles I bought a cheap 10 dollar, indoor, bunny ear antenna and hooked it up to my HDTV, and I get almost ALL LOCAL channels, with my indoor antenna in my basement! With really good picture, too! I have the antenna between the concrete wall and the TV itself so it cannot be scene. Sounds like the worst set up ever, yet it gets great picture!

How is this so? All my friends with antenna barely get decent reception when they have theirs upstairs and pointed in the right direction.

Did I just get lucky?

(Not complaining, I just can't believe it.)

ViperVenom18
You're a good example of why I never say never!
If you are close enough to the towers on QA Hill, or on the west side of Capital Hill, it's possible.
What ever you do, though, don't move anything!!
Dan
post #10001 of 10088 Old 02-25-2014, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post

ViperVenom18
You're a good example of why I never say never!
If you are close enough to the towers on QA Hill, or on the west side of Capital Hill, it's possible.
What ever you do, though, don't move anything!!
Dan

No joke!

I live in North Seattle, in a woodsy area. I would say I'm very lucky to get this type of reception.
post #10002 of 10088 Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM
tg3

Quote:

TG3
It looks like the antenna, if that's the one in the picture above your name, is just a UHF 4221, and mounted on the west wall of the house.

Thanks, Dan.
Thats a 4221HD, mounted on the south wall, facing roughly Big Bertha, the large fir.
Quote:
A VHF high band would definitely help ch 9 & ch 13, but might be a problem. If you use a yagi style, the angle between ch13 & ch9 might be a bit too much for it to work.

A VHF high band like a Y5-7-13, aimed between Capital Hill (144°) and Bremerton (224°) might not receive both locations? Hmmm. Alternative VHF high band antenna recs?
Quote:
However, if you were to use a Channelmaster 4228, and get it mounted on the south side of the house, It might just work for all the channels. Although the 4228 is UHF only antenna, it's connecting rods, between the two sides, acts like a VHF high band. Not real strong, but at your location might be enough to work. If not, a preamp would probably get the levels up enough to lock in.

I can certainly try a 4228HD. But do you think my problem with KWPX on Tiger Mt is more elevation (shaded by the ridge centered on Phinney Ave), or the tree and house blockage? I've toyed with Google Earth a bit, and here is my elevation profile out 1.7 miles towards Tiger Mt. My elevation at the antenna is 364 ft, and the antenna is 20 ft up. The ridge is about 450 ft.

And here is the profile all the way to the antenna on Tiger Mt.

Many thanks!
post #10003 of 10088 Old 02-26-2014, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Dan.
Thats a 4221HD, mounted on the south wall, facing roughly Big Bertha, the large fir.
A VHF high band like a Y5-7-13, aimed between Capital Hill (144°) and Bremerton (224°) might not receive both locations? Hmmm. Alternative VHF high band antenna recs?
I can certainly try a 4228HD. But do you think my problem with KWPX on Tiger Mt is more elevation (shaded by the ridge centered on Phinney Ave), or the tree and house blockage? I've toyed with Google Earth a bit, and here is my elevation profile out 1.7 miles towards Tiger Mt. My elevation at the antenna is 364 ft, and the antenna is 20 ft up. The ridge is about 450 ft.

And here is the profile all the way to the antenna on Tiger Mt.

Many thanks!

tg3
Yagi's, even the short 5 element hi-band flavor, are fairly directional. That's what makes the unorthodox use of the 4228 actually work pretty good. It's only two small horizontal elements, about the same wavelength as a hi-band. Yeah, it shouldn't work, but it can, in certain locations.
As for the KWPX thing, send me a private message with your address and I'll give you a better idea of wassup with hills, trees and things.
Dan
post #10004 of 10088 Old 02-27-2014, 09:09 AM

Dan Kurts - A question for you. By the way...Thanks for all the past help you've offered.

What do you think is the best antenna for me up in Shoreline (intersection of Densmore Ave N and N 203rd St). I plan to just get something from SolidSignal, since the price and selection from local stores is so slim (and premium priced). You had suggested I try the Antennacraft HBU-33, since I could try one at Radio Shack. Never got around to doing that. Is the HBU series still my best bet? I am fine with getting the HBU 44 or 55 if that makes sense. I see Winegard has a similarly configured antenna that seems to be popular. Alternatively, I have a never used CM 4221 (non-HD version) gathering dust that did not seem to work in an attic setup. Again, I am OK with going all in and buying mail order and not returning, but was thinking you would be able to help me make a high-percentage choice.

I have an old Radio Shack antenna now in use that seems to work OK, but was hoping to improve a bit with a VHF-hi / UHF antenna. Or I can save money and just stay with what I have now.

Thanks, Dan!!
post #10005 of 10088 Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98133 View Post

Dan Kurts - A question for you. By the way...Thanks for all the past help you've offered.

What do you think is the best antenna for me up in Shoreline (intersection of Densmore Ave N and N 203rd St). I plan to just get something from SolidSignal, since the price and selection from local stores is so slim (and premium priced). You had suggested I try the Antennacraft HBU-33, since I could try one at Radio Shack. Never got around to doing that. Is the HBU series still my best bet? I am fine with getting the HBU 44 or 55 if that makes sense. I see Winegard has a similarly configured antenna that seems to be popular. Alternatively, I have a never used CM 4221 (non-HD version) gathering dust that did not seem to work in an attic setup. Again, I am OK with going all in and buying mail order and not returning, but was thinking you would be able to help me make a high-percentage choice.

I have an old Radio Shack antenna now in use that seems to work OK, but was hoping to improve a bit with a VHF-hi / UHF antenna. Or I can save money and just stay with what I have now.

Thanks, Dan!!

What antenna do you have now that works okay?
What channels do you have to have, and which aren't?
Send me a private message with your address and I'll check it out on Google Earth for a better look and let you know what's needed.
Dan
post #10006 of 10088 Old 02-27-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, Dan!!

If Google has the right picture, you have a gray one story house, with the antenna on the chimney? Your neighbor to the south has a gray metal roof?
There's a bunch of trees on the hillside as it rises. Nothing on your property to the south, but scattered over the next mile or so before the hill starts to drop off around 175th.
Really would like to know, if you can remember, what antenna you have now, and what channels you're getting. What additional channels are you trying to get?
Dan
post #10007 of 10088 Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

TG3
Ah yes!
Remember it now. It's been a while. The 4221 was never designed for channels 9-11-13 VHF. When we put that up they were still transmitting on UHF channels. The fact that you're getting ch9 at all says signal is pretty good from Capital Hill.

I'll send you a picture of the KUNS path and the ch13 path to your house in a PM. You are correct in your photo, it looks like the path just goes to the left of that big tree. The ridge on Greenwood ave is in the way a little bit.
Good news is KUNS has filed to move their antenna to the KOMO tower, and up the power from 240KW erp to 1000KW erp. That would make it a slam dunk for you. Of course, when it happens is another matter. Poked around the FCC site, didn't see a date or info on when it was approved.
http://transition.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=4624
Looks like it will be mounted just below ch4's antenna, but still plenty high enough to reach you. Give them a call at (206) 404-5867 and find out when it will happen.

KWPX is also located on almost the exact same spot on Tiger Mt, so the path is the same. They do have about twice the power of KUNS though.
All in all, I think the 4228 would work the best for what you're trying to accomplish. It will even mount on the same mast where the 4221 is now. The only thing that might be questionable is ch13 VHF. However, with the extra gain of the new antenna, you might be able to get ch13's repeater from Capital hill, same spot as ch9. If all that fails to get ch13, then a very small yagi, just for ch13 could be used on the very SW corner of the house and tied in with a join-tenna. I think odds are good you'll be fine with out it.

Let me know what happens!
Dan
post #10008 of 10088 Old 02-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Poked around the FCC site, didn't see a date or info on when it was approved.

Re: KUNS - CP was issued on March 14, 2011 and is valid for 36 months. They haven't filed an LTC.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #10009 of 10088 Old 02-28-2014, 10:10 AM

Dan, sorry for the piecemeal reply. I currently have an antenna that is very similar in configuration and length to the CM-3016. I get the following channels:

4-1, 2
5-1, 2
7-1, 2
9-1, 2, 3
11-1
13-1 (if I re-aim the antenna towards Bremerton)
16-1, 2
22-1, 2, 3
33-1 thru 33-7
44-1 thru 44-5

Antenna currently sitting on roof, but will install on a 5' eave mounted mast shortly. I guess I don't feel I am missing anything other than getting 13-1 w/o needing to re-aim or (if it still even is possible) getting Canadian OTA. 9-1 sometimes pixellates, but I think I just need to adjust the direction better for the sweet spot between QA Hill and Central District.

Let me know if there is anything substantive OTA that I am missing out on. At the minimum, I had figured that a bigger antenna might be worth the expenditure. But then, if it ain't really broke...

Thanks again!!
post #10010 of 10088 Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dan, sorry for the piecemeal reply. I currently have an antenna that is very similar in configuration and length to the CM-3016. I get the following channels:

4-1, 2
5-1, 2
7-1, 2
9-1, 2, 3
11-1
13-1 (if I re-aim the antenna towards Bremerton)
16-1, 2
22-1, 2, 3
33-1 thru 33-7
44-1 thru 44-5

Antenna currently sitting on roof, but will install on a 5' eave mounted mast shortly. I guess I don't feel I am missing anything other than getting 13-1 w/o needing to re-aim or (if it still even is possible) getting Canadian OTA. 9-1 sometimes pixellates, but I think I just need to adjust the direction better for the sweet spot between QA Hill and Central District.

Let me know if there is anything substantive OTA that I am missing out on. At the minimum, I had figured that a bigger antenna might be worth the expenditure. But then, if it ain't really broke...

Thanks again!!

If all the channels but 9 are steady, no breakups, then just mount what you have and see what happens. Canadian is not likely where you are. If you want to try, the antenna would have to be in the opposite direction. I would not recommend a rotor. If you do get any of them, then a second antenna mounted at the other end of the house would make things simpler. You will definitely need a preamp.
After mounting the old antenna for Seattle, and things are still the same, then try a preamp, like the Channelmaster 7777 or the Winegard LNA200 boost.
The added gain may allow you the ability to reaim for ch13 from Bremerton. If you still need more, then let us know what you are getting and the signal numbers your TV shows for each.
Dan
post #10011 of 10088 Old 03-10-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

KUNS has transitioned to broadcasting from the KOMO tower on Queen Anne.
post #10012 of 10088 Old 03-10-2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wood View Post

KUNS has transitioned to broadcasting from the KOMO tower on Queen Anne.

Yep. We can no longer get it in the Olympia area. You just lost some South Sound Spanish speaking viewers.
post #10013 of 10088 Old 03-12-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TG3 Ah yes! Remember it now. It's been a while. The 4221 was never designed for channels 9-11-13 VHF. When we put that up they were still transmitting on UHF channels. The fact that you're getting ch9 at all says signal is pretty good from Capital Hill................All in all, I think the 4228 would work the best for what you're trying to accomplish. It will even mount on the same mast where the 4221 is now. The only thing that might be questionable is ch13 VHF. However, with the extra gain of the new antenna, you might be able to get ch13's repeater from Capital hill, same spot as ch9. If all that fails to get ch13, then a very small yagi, just for ch13 could be used on the very SW corner of the house and tied in with a join-tenna. I think odds are good you'll be fine with out it. Let me know what happens! Dan

Dan, oddly enough, when I lived in a quasi-basement condo unit in SeaTac (a lousy OTA reception spot as it was on the southern slope of a hill) and had a generic 4221 clone set up facing north in the bedroom, KCTS physical channel 9 actually was the strongest and most stable signal I could receive with the 4221 clone! Even when pedestrians or cars drove by, the station did not experience breakup. OTA reception was not ideal in that environment as you can well imagine, RF Channel 11 also came in well in the condo, and if I turned the antenna to the west, RF Channel 13 came in very strong and stable. The other station which came in very well and consistently in that basement-level condo was RF 25 (KZJO virtual 22.1). With KZJO there wasn't breakup or pixillation. In that sub-ground condo, the QA stations (KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG) usually could be received but were more prone to pixillation caused by cars or pedestrians in the parking lot and sidewalk just north of my condo unit.

Given that there were several condo buildings around me, and my unit was partially below ground level, it's amazing I obtained reception at all using an RCA DTA800-B and a Zenith DTT-900.

(NOTE: When I lived in the condo, I still subscribed to Comcast and the OTA stuff was experimental on a second TV in the bedroom; our main TV in the south-facing living room really could not get ANY OTA signal except for KBTC RF 27 so Comcast really was needed in the condo).

Per my prior discussions with you, there is a very minor tweak on high-VHF with the current 4221-HD and 4228-HD.

For 98133, given my own experience in a good neighborhood which unfortunately has several tall, thick Douglas Fir trees totally messing with the LOS to the Seattle transmitters, you may want to just go ahead and get the 4228-HD rather than mess around with other antennas. It probably isn't really worth the time and effort to put up a lesser antenna and then find you wish you had gotten a 4228-HD.
post #10014 of 10088 Old 03-12-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

As a side note, most folks who live in the Greater Seattle area who want OTA will want a rooftop outdoor antenna. However, I did experiment with many indoor antennas and just gave away my highly directional Philips Silver Sensor to a friend. Keep in mind what's listed below are my own hobbyist opinions - your mileage may vary.

Indoor antennas which are acceptable:

First Place: Solid Signal HD-Blade - same as Winegard Flatwave non-amplified version. Other than the fact that the Silver Sensor is very directional and can be pointed at a hard-to-get station, this was my favorite indoor antenna. It seemed to be more resistant to signal fade and break-up than the norm. High-VHF performance is good. I really liked this for an indoor antenna and was using it until a rooftop outdoor antenna was installed (Silver Sensor would get honorable mention here as well). HD-Blade list price is $30 but Solid Signal frequently has "one day sales" where you can get it for $20. Be sure to buy the version where you can manually screw in and connect your own RF cable - that's a lot better than being limited to an integrated 6-foot cable for finding the "sweet spot" for reception.

Second place: Philips or Zenith brand Silver Sensor. This is a very, very directional antenna. You may be frustrated in that the Seattle transmitters, Tiger Mountain and KBTC/Tacoma transmitters are in different directions. Using a Silver Sensor indoors, I never could get a picture on KBTC's Capitol Hill repeater. High VHF is surprisingly okay but it's really a UHF-only antenna. If you don't mind periodically having to move the antenna, I was very impressed with this unit. It's designed by a UK company called Antiference. You can use whatever length of RF cable you want. NOTE: AVOID the "upgraded" powered PHDTV-3 Silver Sensor that has the UHF elements placed low and VHF rabbit ears installed - that unit is awful. I understand the original Silver Sensor is no longer on the market but it shows up on the used market.

I briefly used a Terk HDTV-a which is similar but the Terk. I bought it at Fry's using the pricematch with Amazon. But this Terk is limited by an integrated 6-foot RF cable limiting your placement options. The unamped version is the HDTVi, not real sure if the amped version makes a big difference. Unlike the Silver Sensor, at least you should get adequate high-VHF.

Third Place: Mohu Leaf. The main difference between the Leaf and the HD-Blade/Flatwave is that the Leaf really is UHF-only. High VHF is fair-to-good. Also, you are stuck with an integrated 6-foot RF cable. If you really want a thin antenna of this type that you can stick to a window or wall, get the HD-Blade/Flatwave. Costs about $40, more than the HD-Blade.

Fourth Place: Radio Shack Budget TV antenna. For $15 you get a standard dipole-and-loop antenna. The loop is larger than most rabbit-ear sets and it just seems to be better than the norm for this kind of $15 antenna. I thought this was a fairly good antenna for the money. The integrated RF cable is 5 feet long.

Fifth Place: RCA ANT-111. $9 or so at Amazon, $10 at Frys and Walmart, I bought mine for $6 at Big Lots. Dipole-and-loop antenna, better than what one would expect. However, the integrated RF cable is quite thin and only 3 feet long. The above-listed units are better but if you just want to see if you can even get an OTA signal at your house, this is the "el cheapo" unit to buy.

Indoor antennas to avoid:

Radio Shack 15-246, $25. Visually nice looking unit - has a silver circular molded UHF unit and nice black dipoles. This isn't a rotten antenna but the gain is not uite as good of gain as the units above. One plus: you can connect your own RF cable, but I don't think this isas good of a value as the units shown above.

Philips MANT-850 powered antenna - looks really cool, has a very nice silver UHF flat-panel piece and beautiful silver base, the rabbit ears extend very high, but it wasn't as reliable for reception as what's listed above.

Big Lots generic powered antenna, $10. Initially it might seem okay but the amp sort of has to "make up" for lackluster dipole-and-loop design. Better to spend your $$ on the antennas shown above.

Big Lots generic non-powered rabbit ear antenna, $3. Okay for FM radio. If we had low-power analogs, this would be okay. Really spotty reception, much worse than the ANT-111 or others.

"Clear TV" antenna per TV informercials. Haven't used this one - it looks kinda like the HD-Blade but nowhere near as well designed. It's priced about $30 when you add S&H, reviews on Amazon are not at all good. Their TV infomercials making it sound like free OTA television is a "secret" are a hoot to watch!

So there you have it - these are antennas I've used at our Renton Highlands house, which is somewhat typical of the Greater Seattle area in that there are many tall trees that obstruct TV reception.
post #10015 of 10088 Old 03-20-2014, 10:24 PM

Any idea what happened to K49IX-D down here in Puyallup? I haven't been picking up anything for the past couple months, and my tvfool report no longer shows it as Kiro 7.1. I emailed kiro but did not get a response. I need to watch march madness!
post #10016 of 10088 Old 03-24-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerito25 View Post

Dan-

I appreciate responding to my questions.  I ended up buying Winegard FL6550A FlatWave Air Outdoor HDTV Antenna from Amazon.  I am still trying to figure out where I am planning to attach it and also waiting from our HOA's approval if I can install an outdoor antenna.  I still haven't receive anything from them yet, so I decided to try the antenna out.  After assembling the antenna, I put it on top of a chair, and put the chair outside (driveway) and point the antenna at around 343º (using an iPhone app).  I was able to get most of the local channels (KOMO/KING/KONG/KIRO/PBS) in HD and SD.  KIRO TV 7.1 is awesome in HD!  I was missing KCPQ (Fox 13) so decided to play around with the direction and finally was able to get FOX (Go Hawks!) but lost KONG which I don't really mind. Signal strength is around 60-75% for most of the channels. 

As soon as I get the approval from our HOA, I will install the antenna on top of the 1st floor roof or attach it to the exterior wall of the 2nd floor.  Hopefully this is enough to get over those trees to the north!

Will update this thread once this is done!

-elmerito25

Hi-

My initial plan of installing the antenna outdoor did not materialize due to my neighbor's roof blocking the LOS to the north.  I was left with installing it on the roof or putting it in the attic.  I decided to put it in the attic (for now) and was able to get some of the local channels, KOMO and KIRO are clear, KING is a bit spotty.  I couldn't get KONG and KCPQ (FOX 13.1) at all but I can get the FOX 22 which is I think the FOX SD.

I would like to keep it in the attic for now but I would like to ask the experts on how I can fix these issues below:

Spotty KING reception - Does a pre-amp fix this?  Will putting the antenna on the roof fix this?  The cable that runs from the antenna to the TV is about 25 ft.

Missing KONG           - Does a pre-amp fix this?  Will putting the antenna on the roof fix this? The cable that runs from the antenna to the TV is about 25 ft.

Missing KCPQ 13       - Does a separate VHF Antenna fix? 

Appreciate your time and thanks in advance!

-elmerito25

post #10017 of 10088 Old 03-25-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedawg021 View Post

Any idea what happened to K49IX-D down here in Puyallup? I haven't been picking up anything for the past couple months, and my tvfool report no longer shows it as Kiro 7.1. I emailed kiro but did not get a response. I need to watch march madness!

I finally received an email from the programming director at KIRO. The translator in Puyallup had a failure and is down. He said it should be fixed in the next week or so.
post #10018 of 10088 Old 03-25-2014, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmerito25 View Post

Hi-

My initial plan of installing the antenna outdoor did not materialize due to my neighbor's roof blocking the LOS to the north.  I was left with installing it on the roof or putting it in the attic.  I decided to put it in the attic (for now) and was able to get some of the local channels, KOMO and KIRO are clear, KING is a bit spotty.  I couldn't get KONG and KCPQ (FOX 13.1) at all but I can get the FOX 22 which is I think the FOX SD.

I would like to keep it in the attic for now but I would like to ask the experts on how I can fix these issues below:

Spotty KING reception - Does a pre-amp fix this?  Will putting the antenna on the roof fix this?  The cable that runs from the antenna to the TV is about 25 ft.
Missing KONG           - Does a pre-amp fix this?  Will putting the antenna on the roof fix this? The cable that runs from the antenna to the TV is about 25 ft.

Missing KCPQ 13       - Does a separate VHF Antenna fix? 

Appreciate your time and thanks in advance!

-elmerito25

elmerito25
Your antenna already has a preamplifier. A second preamplifier makes things worse by adding in it's noise figure.
The antenna is too small for where you are. The preamplifier helps, but you're initially starting with a smaller amount of signal and then trying to make up for it with the preamp.
Better to start with more antenna, and then use a preamplifier if needed.
Send me a private message with your exact address and I'll check out your house from google street view and maybe I can see some options for mounting.
Dan
post #10019 of 10088 Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi guys,

Brand new to the OTA world here. Being reading the post and unfortunately I'm a bit lost and is hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm in Kirkland at 98033 with cross street 3rd and 18th. I need to figure out whether or not reception for local HD channels are feasible or not and with what (outdoor vs indoor antennae). I try looking at websites for signal strengths, etc.. and could not figure it out.

I want to drop comcast but need to be able to see KIRO and FOX for sports (go Hawks!) and that is the only reason why I haven't done the cord cutting.

Lastly, if I need outdoor antennae install - who would be a good local shop to do it for a reasonable price.

Thanks a lot.
post #10020 of 10088 Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newHTowner View Post

Hi guys,

Brand new to the OTA world here. Being reading the post and unfortunately I'm a bit lost and is hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I'm in Kirkland at 98033 with cross street 3rd and 18th. I need to figure out whether or not reception for local HD channels are feasible or not and with what (outdoor vs indoor antennae). I try looking at websites for signal strengths, etc.. and could not figure it out.

I want to drop comcast but need to be able to see KIRO and FOX for sports (go Hawks!) and that is the only reason why I haven't done the cord cutting.

Lastly, if I need outdoor antennae install - who would be a good local shop to do it for a reasonable price.

Thanks a lot.

newHTowner
You're just over the edge of the hill, but close enough an indoor antenna might work. Just try and get it near a SW facing window. Try something small like the flat MOHU antenna at Costco.
Let us know what you get.
Dan
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page