Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #10021 of 10128 Old 03-28-2014, 01:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Dan.

Got the antenna - I try it with multiple orientation to include N, SW, W, S - could not get any signal at all. My TV is a Sony Bravia with auto tuning capability. Look like I need to look into an outdoor antenna - do you have rec and who I should look into for install?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 10128 Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by newHTowner View Post

Thanks Dan......Got the antenna - I try it with multiple orientation to include N, SW, W, S - could not get any signal at all. My TV is a Sony Bravia with auto tuning capability. Look like I need to look into an outdoor antenna - do you have rec and who I should look into for install? ...........Thanks again
Are you saying you received zero signal on any stations? If so, have you checked your Sony Bravia to make sure the tuner is set for "Antenna", not "Cable"? Even if you don't receive the stations you want the most (KIRO, KCPQ), it's hard to imagine you can't receive any channels. Try rechecking your tuner settings.....
post #10023 of 10128 Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 19
KIRO cintinues to be an affiliate of RTV, with that service running on their 7.2. This network continues to decline in viewership compared to the rising viewership of diginets like Antenna TV and METV. Could KIRO replace RTV with some other diginet. Certainly seems logical. Perhaps Sony's Get TV would be a good fit for KIRO 7.2.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #10024 of 10128 Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

Perhaps Sony's Get TV would be a good fit for KIRO 7.2.

looks like you got your wish wink.gif
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/75204/gettv-diginet-expanding-into-4-new-markets

GetTV, Sony Pictures Television (SPT) Networks' new U.S. digital broadcast television network, is adding four major market TV stations from the Cox Media Group to its growing affiliate roster. Starting today, April 1, GetTV is adding KIRO Seattle (DMA 13); WAXN Charlotte, N.C. (DMA 25); and KMYT Tulsa, Okla. (DMA 60). In the summer, GetTV begins broadcasting on WTEV Jacksonville, Fla. (DMA 48).
post #10025 of 10128 Old 04-01-2014, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
What does this actually mean?

"GetTV is adding KIRO Seattle (DMA 13)."

I'm getting KIRO Seattle HD right now OTA...do I need to do anything different to benefit from this announcement? Rescan?

(note, I've never fully grok'ed how these broadcast frequencies map to DMA channels map to my TV channels map to my Guide channels...sorry)
post #10026 of 10128 Old 04-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

you shouldnt have to do anything. Basically KIRO is changing their DT2 station from RetroTV to GetTV.

All you have to do is tune to 7-2 for GetTV.
post #10027 of 10128 Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

you shouldnt have to do anything. Basically KIRO is changing their DT2 station from RetroTV to GetTV.

All you have to do is tune to 7-2 for GetTV.

Awesome, thanks! So I assume my guide provider will also pick up the changes, too.
post #10028 of 10128 Old 04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

looking at zap2it (which provides guide info for Tivo, Directv and Dish) the info does show for GetTV for both over the air and on Comcast.
I assume if you use the guide from the TV directly that changed too
post #10029 of 10128 Old 04-05-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post

you shouldnt have to do anything. Basically KIRO is changing their DT2 station from RetroTV to GetTV. .....All you have to do is tune to 7-2 for GetTV.

When it first launched in the Seattle media market back in 2007-2008, RetroTV (originally branded as "RTN" and later as "RTV" had a very, very attractive lineup of legacy television series. However, over the years, RTN lost the rights to a huge number of the very best classic television series. It probably was difficult to generate enough advertising revenue to offset the expense of buying the retransmission rights for many of these classic programs.

Many of the programs which were televised on RTN in its heyday are listed below, taken from a now-deleted April 2, 2008 Wikipedia description of all of RTN's programming:

CBS Television Distribution

The Andy Griffith Show
Airwolf
The Beverly Hillbillies
Bonanza
The Brady Bunch
Cannon
Cheers
Family Affair
Family Ties
The Fugitive
Get Smart
Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C.
Gunsmoke
Happy Days
Hawaii Five-O
Hogan's Heroes
The Honeymooners
Laverne & Shirley
Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous
Little House on the Prairie
Love, American Style
The Lucy Show
Matlock
Mission: Impossible
Mork & Mindy
Perry Mason
Petticoat Junction
Rawhide
The Streets of San Francisco
The Untouchables
The Wild Wild West

NBC Universal Television Distribution

The A-Team
Alias Smith and Jones
Battlestar Galactica
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Emergency!
The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries
Ironside
It Takes a Thief
Kojak
Knight Rider
Magnum P.I.
Marcus Welby, M.D.
McMillan and Wife
The Rockford Files
Simon & Simon
Quincy, M.E.

Sony Pictures Television

The Partridge Family
The Monkees

20th Television

21 Jump Street

Stephen J. Cannell

Greatest American Hero
Hunter
Renegade

WKBW-TV

Off Beat Cinema
post #10030 of 10128 Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I saw an article in the HDTV Technical topic about ATSC 3.0 technology, and it brought to mind the difficulties many of us in the Greater Seattle area have experienced with generally-lousy reception results.

The US and its three "friends" should have adopted DVB-T or ISDB-T. The ATSC system stinks. It is a pain in the rear for reception. Too often, viewers still end up with loss of signal in a way that we never did during the bad old NTSC analog days. It was improper for Congress to force the American people into accepting a lower-quality digital TV system......

Here in northeast Renton - a mere 10 miiles from the local transmitters - I have gotten disgusted with ATSC reception problems, even with a roof-mounted and very securely installed Channel Master 4228 combined with a high-quality in-house signal distribution system.

I suppose that if our 4228HD were mounted 10 feet higher above adjacent terrain, those problems would be somewhat less frequent - but in life there are no do-overs. I cannot justify putting more funds into upgrading a professionally-installed antenna system. At the time, I had thought we had ultimately done what was necessary to overcome the limitations of ATSC in areas where there are many hills and trees in the line-of-sight. My installer did a pretty darned good job under the circumstances - and this isn't a criticism of the installer's workmanship. Nonetheless, methinks many other Seattle-area viewers have similarly been disappointed at their reception results compared with what they received via NTSC analog, which wasn't always perfect but which didn't involve such a draconian "digital cliff". This disappointment would be particularly common with "do it yourself" folks who put up a rooftop antenna themselves, without the benefit of test gear and years of professional experience that my installer brought to this particular job.

The ATSC reception system really is frustrating for many end users who just want to watch their local news and information programs as well as national broadcast network programming without paying monthly subscription fees just to watch local stations.

From my point of view, the ATSC transmission system was a fabulous gift for Comcast, Wave Broadband, and the other cable and satellite providers around in the Seattle area. I do very much enjoy receiving true 720p and 1080i picture quality on my LED display, so this rant isn't about being homesick for 4x3 SD. It's more that I'm so frustrated that ATSC and the FCC didn't realistically test the ATSC digital TV system in places like the Seattle area, i.e. they assumed that all houses had rooftop antennas mounted 30 feet above ground level, that there were NO trees or buildings in the reception path, that there was a clear line-of-sight between a given residence and the television tower, etc.

More likely than not, ATSC 3.0 won't be thoroughly tested in topographically-challenging areas such as Seattle or San Francisco, instead they will "prove" to the FCC and Congress that the system works well based on reception tests performed in cities like Minneapolis, Shreveport, Dallas and Detroit.
post #10031 of 10128 Old 04-05-2014, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

P.S. At my house, the 4228HD is securely mounted to the side of the roof, and the antenna is just about one foot above the roofline, equivalent to 20 feet above the ground. One would think this is sufficient given that our house is only 10 miles from the transmitters. However, my understanding is that when the FCC conducted testing analysis of the ATSC system assumed an antenna placed 30 feet above the ground, as well as generally having a clear line of sight and zero obstacles between the receiving antenna and the transmitting tower.
post #10032 of 10128 Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Might I recommend "Defining Vision" by Joel Brinkley. He gives an excellent account of how the Grand Alliance of ATSC came to be.

Defining Vision: How Broadcasters Lured the Government into Inciting a Revolution in Television, Updated and Expanded
In this account of the political wrangling and technological breakthroughs that led to the creation of HDTV, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter “does for television...what Tracy Kidder did for computers” (Kirkus Reviews).
http://www.amazon.com/Defining-Vision-Broadcasters-Government-Revolution/dp/0156005972/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
post #10033 of 10128 Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 PM

Hi all.

I have been scratching my head and I couldn't figure out what's wrong with this issue.  Decided to cut my Comcast for a while and I bought Direct Clear Stream2 outdoor antenna from Costco and for some reason, I couldn't receive any of the PBS channel (KCTS).  I live up North in Bothell (Literally right next to I405) and I can receive most of the main channel like KOMO, KING5, KIRO7, KUNS, etc but no FOX and KCTS.  I have to tweak the antenna position and have to decide whether I want to receive KCPQ or KOMO.  So I choose KOMO and just live with regular KCPQ channel.  Komo is a bit up and down depending the weather.  So I thought it could be my antenna or the trees.  Did a bit research and decided to buy RCA ANT751R.  Well the yagi antenna seems to be working a bit better because I can now receive a more stabil KOMO, got CW and FOX in HD.  However still no KCTS.  I'd also would like to receive channel 44 and its subchannel 44.1 to 44-5.  I can receive 44.1 no problem, but no 44.2-44.5.  Very strange.  I've my antenna sit on top of the roof (3rd floor) pointing down south.  Of course I'm being faced with tons of tall tree along I405 but the question is, why there's no problem with the main channel but big issue with KCTS? I thought they are pretty much right next to each other.  I have Samsung TV with its own HD tuner (I can't remember which version of samsung).  Do you think this is more of Tuner issue, antenna issue, or location issue?  Inside the house I used a amplifier splitter PCT-MA2-8P to make the all drop points available for the room even though I only use 2 tvs. 

Here is the result from TVFool.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d5b94626fd7a6f5

Any suggestion on how I should resolve this issue?  Many thanks everyone for all of your help.

post #10034 of 10128 Old 04-18-2014, 05:51 PM

Well.  Installed the antenna (ANT751R) and definitely get a better reception than the old Clear Stream2.  However, it's a battle between getting KCPQ fox in HD or KOMO in HD.  So I settle for KOMO since I can receive KCPQ in non HD.  But still no 44-1 to 44-5.  O well.  At least I got my KCTS and as a bonus, I got the CW channel now.  Goodness, what a fight between a bit left, right or pointing to between the tree or following the Magnetic compass or the real North.  At the end, I just gave up and play with positioning it a bit left or right until I got the best signal among all.  Talk about art in tweaking.  If anyone else have 2 cents to chime in how to better receive the channel, I'd love to hear it.  Many thanks again.

post #10035 of 10128 Old 05-24-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

This forum's been very quiet. I wonder how many OTA viewers or "cord cutters" are checking this forum? In my experience, digital OTA TV is kind of frustrating in Seattle, mainly due to: 1) hills interfering with line-of-sight, 2) trees interfering with line-of-sight, particularly when it's windy, and 3) local transmitters located in 5 different locations. There is no "magic antenna" that will work flawlessly to overcome all of these problems simultaneously, per the guy who installed the 4228 on the side of our house.
post #10036 of 10128 Old 05-24-2014, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledude1 View Post

Well.  Installed the antenna (ANT751R) and definitely get a better reception than the old Clear Stream2.  However, it's a battle between getting KCPQ fox in HD or KOMO in HD.  So I settle for KOMO since I can receive KCPQ in non HD.  But still no 44-1 to 44-5.  O well.  At least I got my KCTS and as a bonus, I got the CW channel now.  Goodness, what a fight between a bit left, right or pointing to between the tree or following the Magnetic compass or the real North.  At the end, I just gave up and play with positioning it a bit left or right until I got the best signal among all.  Talk about art in tweaking.  If anyone else have 2 cents to chime in how to better receive the channel, I'd love to hear it.  Many thanks again.
How high above the roof is your antenna? Your TV Fool, based on being 15 feet AGL, seemed like you have a lot of "2-Edge" stations, which are much harder to pull in because of hills or trees blocking the line of sight. RF 44 shows as weak - it's actually weaker than RF 35 (KVOS). If you can put the antenna up about 10 feet higher, that might help. My antenna install was hard because a huge number of thick fir trees in the direction of the Seattle transmitters, and looking at TV Fool I realize the antenna should have been about 10 feet higher up - my reception on either of the KBTC stations (RF 16 and RF 27) experiences breakups even with the CM-4228. Here's the relative performance of locatl stations at my house in the Renton Highlands with the CM 4228:

Best - dependable: KCTS/9, KSTW/11, KCPQ/13 and KZJO/25
Very good - rare break-ups or signal loss: KONG/16, KCPQ repeater/22, KRUM-LD/24, KFFV/44, KIRO/39, KING/48,
Pretty good - occasional break-ups or signal loss: KTBW/14, KOMO/38, KUNS/51
Middling - some break-ups or signal loss: KBTC/16, KBTC/27
Frustrating: hit-and-miss break-ups or signal loss: KWPX/33, KWDK/42, KUSE-LD/46, KIRO repeater/51
Not reliable - some signal showing on the meter but intermittent actual display of a picture: KBTC/19, KVOS/35, K08OU-D

If there were a single word of advice I would give to anybody going to the trouble of an outdoor rooftop install: higher off the ground is better. My biggest regret is that my 4228-HD was not installed about 10 feet higher, something TV Fool bears out in terms of a dramatic increase in signal strength for the stations where I have reception problems at this address. Note that KOMO/KUNS reception is a bit less dependable than KONG/KIRO/KING. Similarly, KBTC's RF 16 Capital Hill repeater is far less dependable than the other six Capitol Hill stations. KBTC/16 is mounted lower on the tower and with much lower power output. Spotty reception on either KBTC transmitter is my biggest single disappointment.

The Tiger Mountain stations (33, 42, 46, 51) are on the "back side" of the CM-4228. The antenna can "see" them, but the 4228 is a directional design. The 4228 has up to 16 dB gain from the front, but zero gain from directly behind and negative gain from the sides. It's curious that KCPQ/13 and KTBW/14 come in pretty well from the west (the antenna is pointed almost straight northwest), but KBTC/27 is directly from the side (straight southwest) which explains problematic reception from RF 27. Anyway, per TV Fool, if the 4228 were 10 feet higher than presently mounted, the signal levels for KBTC/16, KRUM/24, KBTC/27, KWPX/33, KWDK/42, KUSE/46 and KIRO/51 area all much stronger than at their current level (about 20 feet above ground). The channels listed here would have about 15 dB more strength than they do now, just from the additional height. Those stations probably would all come in more consistently and reliably than they presently do. That's because radio waves are kinda weird....something I learned about in college physics classes.

Even with an antenna 30 feet above ground level, there's no absolute guarantee that trees and tree branches blowing in the wind won't sabotage your TV reception, and no absolute guarantee that you will receive a dependable solid TV signal from TV transmitters located in five different directions of the Seattle metro area. No wonder so many people have given up and switched to DirectTV, Dish Network, Comcast, Frontier, Wave Broadband etc.
euromannn likes this.
post #10037 of 10128 Old 05-24-2014, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's three TV Fool charts for my location: the first one is At Ground Level, the second is 20 Feet Above Ground Level, the third is 30 Feet Above Ground Level:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c618d57b88a3
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6bb4bdea3f1
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6c6ec9ddd3a
post #10038 of 10128 Old 05-24-2014, 09:50 PM

Hello Seattle Area Neighbors,

I just moved to Mill Creek, WA and would like some advice about receiving KBTC (28.1). All of the other channels are strong except King (5.1), which appears to have some multi-path issues even with the new tuner mentioned below.

TV Fool report is here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6a374553fb4

I have a CM4221HD in the attic as well as an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13. I'm combining them using an RCA Pre-amp (RCATVPRAMP1R).

20 feet of RG-6 with two, 2-way splitters going to HD HomeRun boxes.

It appears that I am close to getting a signal for KBTC on the newest tuner (HDHR4-2US).

CH 16 61% SS, 41% SQ, 0% Symb Q (LOS, 18.1 mi)
CH 27 73% SS, 43% SQ, 0% Symb Q (2Edge, 43.2 mi)

Would it be helpful to use a fringe Yagi for this station, or possibly as a replacement for the CM4221HD? Would this help with the multi-path issues?

I was thinking about the following, either as a separate antenna from the system above on a 3rd HD HomeRun box that I already have, or as a replacement for the CM4221HD:

Winegard HD-9032
Antennas Direct 91XG
CM-3023

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #10039 of 10128 Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM

Did you find a solution?

I'm trying to find an antenna to get CBUT(Vancouver, CA) station!

post #10040 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromannn View Post

I'm trying to find an antenna to get CBUT(Vancouver, CA) station!
What's the TV Fool information for your location? You might run two TV Fool settings: one for ground level (0 feet AGL) and the second for the height you expect to place your antenna above ground. If you have a one-story house and it's mounted to the side of the house just above roof line, that would be about 20 feet AGL. A lot of people might put an antenna about 30 feet AGL. Higher than that isn't common. If you have a two-story house, you can adjust height accordingly.

For an example, the prior post from Mill Creek shows a TV Fool setting an antenna at 20 feet AGL. Under "Pending Applications Included" CBUT-DT is a weak 2-Edge signal. Noise margin is -12.1. Power is -102.9 dBM. If you lived at that Mill Creek location, you'd want to talk to somebody like Dan Kurts. IT would be EXTREMELY difficult to obtain reliable reception. Most folks may not want to incur the $$ expense of securely installing and grounding a 60-foot tower with a giant XG-91 yagi, with no guarantee of 100% stable reception. Proper electrical grounding is crucial, and secure installation so that it doesn't fall over in a storm - it would need to secured in a manner similar to a professional transmitter.

So, I would not get my hopes up unless you live, say, in Skagit or Island County, or maybe on a north-facing part of high-altitude Snoqualmie Ridge. A few months back a guy on this forum actually showed a TV Fool for his north-facing house - he wasn't interested in the Canadian channels but his TV Fool showed that it might be possible:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D46ae6ab1a26fc9
euromannn likes this.
post #10041 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glider233 View Post

Hello Seattle Area Neighbors, I just moved to Mill Creek, WA and would like some advice about receiving KBTC (28.1). All of the other channels are strong except King (5.1), which appears to have some multi-path issues even with the new tuner mentioned below........
It appears that I am close to getting a signal for KBTC on the newest tuner (HDHR4-2US).

CH 27 73% SS, 43% SQ, 0% Symb Q (2Edge, 43.2 mi) ......
Like you, I've found it hard to obtain 100% reliable signal on KBTC's RF 16 translator even though the other Capitol Hill stations are quite reliable here. KBTC 16 is mounted very low on their towers and with very low power. It's a real nuisance since my 4228 is pointed towards Capitol Hill, so pickup from RF17 to the southwest is not consistent.
post #10042 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 12:58 PM

House: Faces West

Distance from Mill Creek: 25 miles

Distance from downtown Vancouver: 150 miles

How do I contact Dan Kurts?  Preferably I would want a small antenna if possible versus a big one which is hard to mount.

post #10043 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

House: Faces West
Distance from Mill Creek: 25 miles
Distance from downtown Vancouver: 150 miles
How do I contact Dan Kurts?  Preferably I would want a small antenna if possible versus a big one which is hard to mount.
CBUT-DT is 123.3 miles from you, TV Fool shows it as basically impossible except for occasional "Tropo" (abnormal atmospheric conditions). Because CBUT is showing as "Tropo" and the signal level is extremely low (-37.1 NM), it simply isn't going to happen - Dan can explain more on this based on his own real-world installation experience over the past four decades.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, there were many professional antenna installers. In 1988 I had a big high-mast antenna put up by a now-defunct business on NE 65th in the Roosevelt District called Maleng Brothers. One of the few installers in business today is Dan Kurts, though there might be other installers locally. You can look at posts from earlier this year (he uses his own name as screen name) and PM him. This is NOT an endorsement - which would violate the AVS Forum rules - but I am simply acknowledging that Dan is by far the most knowledgeable and most experienced person to regularly post on this Seattle OTA forum.

The good news for you: It looks like you can easily get dependable reception on all of the major-league Seattle TV stations from your location. Because of the extremely high power of the three Capitol Hill stations which are 0.4 miles away from your house you should avoid using an antenna amplifier as there is a risk of extreme signal overload.

If you're in a residential area of the City of Seattle and are thinking of putting up a mast higher than 20 feet above your roofline, I'd also check and make sure there aren't City zoning restrictions.
post #10044 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

Like you, I've found it hard to obtain 100% reliable signal on KBTC's RF 16 translator even though the other Capitol Hill stations are quite reliable here. KBTC 16 is mounted very low on their towers and with very low power. It's a real nuisance since my 4228 is pointed towards Capitol Hill, so pickup from RF17 to the southwest is not consistent.

Thank you for the reply. I noticed that you can intermittently receive KBTC, but I only rarely receive an occasional blip. This could also be due, at least in part, due to the lower gain on my CM4221HD for the low-UHF channels. Because my antenna is in the attic and I appear to have some multipath issues, do you think it would be wise to try a large directional Yagi? I have space in the attic and an extra tuner, so I could only use it for 1 or 2 stations (RF16 and RF27 are only 5 ° apart).
post #10045 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post

CBUT-DT is 123.3 miles from you, TV Fool shows it as basically impossible except for occasional "Tropo" (abnormal atmospheric conditions). Because CBUT is showing as "Tropo" and the signal level is extremely low (-37.1 NM), it simply isn't going to happen - Dan can explain more on this based on his own real-world installation experience over the past four decades.

Back in the 1970s and 1980s, there were many professional antenna installers. In 1988 I had a big high-mast antenna put up by a now-defunct business on NE 65th in the Roosevelt District called Maleng Brothers. One of the few installers in business today is Dan Kurts, though there might be other installers locally. You can look at posts from earlier this year (he uses his own name as screen name) and PM him. This is NOT an endorsement - which would violate the AVS Forum rules - but I am simply acknowledging that Dan is by far the most knowledgeable and most experienced person to regularly post on this Seattle OTA forum.

The good news for you: It looks like you can easily get dependable reception on all of the major-league Seattle TV stations from your location. Because of the extremely high power of the three Capitol Hill stations which are 0.4 miles away from your house you should avoid using an antenna amplifier as there is a risk of extreme signal overload.

If you're in a residential area of the City of Seattle and are thinking of putting up a mast higher than 20 feet above your roofline, I'd also check and make sure there aren't City zoning restrictions.

Thanks.  I'm seeking a small antenna option, if possible.

I can get "OTA" easily in my location but seek CBUT which you say is impossible.  Another poster recommended Univision for World Cup and not sure how to get this and which antenna to support.

post #10046 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Before there was ComCast (or TCI or AT&T even) we had cable TV here in Olympia. To get CBUT ch 2 we had a 20 foot tall by 60 foot across 'parabolic reflector' made from telephone poles and wire fence feeding a yagi. It might still be there...

PS: We also got ch 8 from Vancouver on it.
post #10047 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 PM

HA!

Thanks but I don't want something bigger than my house receiving a signal!!!

Thanks

post #10048 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

Before there was ComCast (or TCI or AT&T even) we had cable TV here in Olympia. To get CBUT ch 2 we had a 20 foot tall by 60 foot across 'parabolic reflector' made from telephone poles and wire fence feeding a yagi. It might still be there...PS: We also got ch 8 from Vancouver on it.
In the analog TV days, long distance reception was MUCH easier. In Olympia, CBUT and CHAN were "straight north" up the Sound so you could pick up a rather snowy but viewable picture if you went to enough trouble. Because you were not close to the Seattle transmitters, the snowy CHAN/8 picture wasn't drowned out by co-channel interference from KIRO/7 and KCTS/9. Today, I understand Olympia is one of the hardest places to get ANY digital TV reception, except for KCPQ and KTBW from Gold Mountain near Bremerton, the Olympia KIRO translator, and Tacoma's KBTC. (In the mid-1990s I lived in Olympia and kind of recall the odd TV reception even in the analog days).

In the mid-1980s, I lived in a studio apartment on the top of Queen Anne Hill, maybe 1200 feet from the "big 3" transmitters. Using a 13" Sears color TV with built-in VHF rabbit ears, I recall that reception on KOMO, KING and KIRO was plagued by geometric distortion but it was watchable. Pre-Fox, KCPQ/13 was the "Northwest Movie Channel" and I can't recall the reception quality, they were NOT on Gold Mountain in the mid-1980s.

From that Sears portable color set with rabbit ears, I definitely recall that KVOS/12 from Bellingham came in pretty well. Also, I could receive a snowy, wavy but somewhat viewable picture on CBUT/2, CHEK/6, CHAN/8. CKVU wasn't yet on Channel 10 - I think that came a couple of years after I moved from Queen Anne. Results on Queen Anne Hill - which is a few hundred feet above most of Seattle's terrain - might have been better than in other parts of town. Nonetheless, from the viewpoint of getting "adequate" reception, NTSC analog was far better than ATSC digital here in the Seattle area. The Digital TV transition was a gigantic gift from Uncle Sam to Comcast, other cable companies, Direct TV and Dish Network......

For extra credit: Does anyone here know when KSTW (a/k/a "KTNT") moved from its Tacoma transmitter to its Capitol Hill transmitter?
post #10049 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another poster recommended Univision for World Cup and not sure how to get this and which antenna to support.
KUNS 51.1 is Univision Seattle. At your house, you probably can receive KUNS-DT with a "paper clip antenna" - it's just four miles away on Queen Anne Hill.

That got me thinking: in some areas of northern Montana, remote local communities have repeater stations for CISA from Lethbridge, Alberta. Don't you wish we could organize a "community antenna" repeater on Capitol Hill for CBUT? After all, CBUT actually is classified by the FCC as a "significantly watched station" for the Seattle Dominant Media Area. Alas, it won't happen.....
post #10050 of 10128 Old 05-26-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by glider233 View Post

Hello Seattle Area Neighbors,

I just moved to Mill Creek, WA and would like some advice about receiving KBTC (28.1). All of the other channels are strong except King (5.1), which appears to have some multi-path issues even with the new tuner mentioned below.

TV Fool report is here:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de1c6a374553fb4

I have a CM4221HD in the attic as well as an AntennaCraft Y5-7-13. I'm combining them using an RCA Pre-amp (RCATVPRAMP1R).

20 feet of RG-6 with two, 2-way splitters going to HD HomeRun boxes.

CH 27 73% SS, 43% SQ, 0% Symb Q (2Edge, 43.2 mi)

Would it be helpful to use a fringe Yagi for this station, or possibly as a replacement for the CM4221HD? Would this help with the multi-path issues?

I was thinking about the following, either as a separate antenna from the system above on a 3rd HD HomeRun box that I already have, or as a replacement for the CM4221HD:

Winegard HD-9032
Antennas Direct 91XG
CM-3023

Any advice would be appreciated.

glider233
Send me our exact address in a private message.
Dan
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page