Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 10084 Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A question about TVFool and moving house

Hi all

I hope someone can help with a couple of questions?

I just moved from Madison Park to Madison Valley. Before I moved, my ChannelMaster could receive channels 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,5.2, 7.1, 7.2. TVFool does't mention any of these channels as those I should receive, in both my old and new houses. Any ideas why not?

Second, in my new house I cannot receive any of those channels, as well as 8.1 - 8.4, 16.1, 16.2, 51.1, 51.2. Any ideas what I can do to get those channels back?

I have a Mohu Leaf 50, and in my old house I wasn't using the optional amplifier.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10084 Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carter View Post
Hi all

I hope someone can help with a couple of questions?

I just moved from Madison Park to Madison Valley. Before I moved, my ChannelMaster could receive channels 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,5.2, 7.1, 7.2. TVFool does't mention any of these channels as those I should receive, in both my old and new houses. Any ideas why not?

Second, in my new house I cannot receive any of those channels, as well as 8.1 - 8.4, 16.1, 16.2, 51.1, 51.2. Any ideas what I can do to get those channels back?

I have a Mohu Leaf 50, and in my old house I wasn't using the optional amplifier.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
You may need an outdoor antenna. An amplifier probably won't help. I'm suprised that TVFool isn't showing them at all (the subchannels won't be listed, however).

Bob

Last edited by rdn; 08-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #10083 of 10084 Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Having trouble getting PBS stations in Shoreline area

Recently moved from the Greenwood area (where I was able to get everything OTA from a cheap indoor antenna) to Shoreline area. TV is not quite basement level but wrong side of house to be able to get any sort of LOS to the various towers from window access. I experimented with the LEAF-type indoor antennas -- got decent signal (mainly care about major 4 channels for sports, but PBS for kids) for KING, KOMO, KIRO, FOX but not great. Intermittent interruptions - bad for sports. I tried out the Winegard FreeVision, worked much better but still couldn't pull in a few of the lesser channels (where Sounders FC broadcasts -- 22.1).

Skip to, come to find out that the previous owner of the home had installed an aerial in the attic. Not sure of brand, age or anything else, but it's probably 3-4 feet in length. Located wire that drops down into where the tv is located. Hook it up last night and presto, best reception yet for all channels (including 22.1). BUT...KCTS/PBS (channel 9.1) barely comes in at all.

I'm confused because according to TVFool.com, KCTS is on the same tower as a few other channels I seem to get pretty well (11, 22).

Here is my TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f838211e979

So, a few questions:

1) Do I need to readjust the angle of the attic aerial more towards the other tower? The big 4 stations are more important to me than PBS but it's nice to have for the kids' sake (they can just watch Netflix anyway...)
2) It looks like the aerial in the attic does not have a pre-amp, is one needed, or a straight amplifier?
3) the cord leading from the attic to the basement is an old flat ribbon-type cord, not a normal coaxial (I seem to remember these from when I was a kid). Does that make a difference?

Really, I'm pretty lucky to have found the attic antenna and the existing wire was still in place but not being used. I'll need to install a separate coaxial cable box next to my tv so I can fish the antenna cable down next to the tv since my internet is piped in via the current coax box. Again, I've got all the channels that I need (mainly for live sports) so I don't mind leaving things as is but it would be nice to be able to pick up KCTS for the kids.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page