Forum Jump: 

post #10081 of 10098 Old 08-14-2014, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
A question about TVFool and moving house

Hi all

I hope someone can help with a couple of questions?

I just moved from Madison Park to Madison Valley. Before I moved, my ChannelMaster could receive channels 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,5.2, 7.1, 7.2. TVFool does't mention any of these channels as those I should receive, in both my old and new houses. Any ideas why not?

Second, in my new house I cannot receive any of those channels, as well as 8.1 - 8.4, 16.1, 16.2, 51.1, 51.2. Any ideas what I can do to get those channels back?

I have a Mohu Leaf 50, and in my old house I wasn't using the optional amplifier.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10082 of 10098 Old 08-17-2014, 11:17 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carter View Post
Hi all

I just moved from Madison Park to Madison Valley. Before I moved, my ChannelMaster could receive channels 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,5.2, 7.1, 7.2. TVFool does't mention any of these channels as those I should receive, in both my old and new houses. Any ideas why not?

Second, in my new house I cannot receive any of those channels, as well as 8.1 - 8.4, 16.1, 16.2, 51.1, 51.2. Any ideas what I can do to get those channels back?

I have a Mohu Leaf 50, and in my old house I wasn't using the optional amplifier.

You may need an outdoor antenna. An amplifier probably won't help. I'm suprised that TVFool isn't showing them at all (the subchannels won't be listed, however).

Bob

Last edited by rdn; 08-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.
post #10083 of 10098 Old 08-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Having trouble getting PBS stations in Shoreline area

Recently moved from the Greenwood area (where I was able to get everything OTA from a cheap indoor antenna) to Shoreline area. TV is not quite basement level but wrong side of house to be able to get any sort of LOS to the various towers from window access. I experimented with the LEAF-type indoor antennas -- got decent signal (mainly care about major 4 channels for sports, but PBS for kids) for KING, KOMO, KIRO, FOX but not great. Intermittent interruptions - bad for sports. I tried out the Winegard FreeVision, worked much better but still couldn't pull in a few of the lesser channels (where Sounders FC broadcasts -- 22.1).

Skip to, come to find out that the previous owner of the home had installed an aerial in the attic. Not sure of brand, age or anything else, but it's probably 3-4 feet in length. Located wire that drops down into where the tv is located. Hook it up last night and presto, best reception yet for all channels (including 22.1). BUT...KCTS/PBS (channel 9.1) barely comes in at all.

I'm confused because according to TVFool.com, KCTS is on the same tower as a few other channels I seem to get pretty well (11, 22).

Here is my TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f838211e979

So, a few questions:

1) Do I need to readjust the angle of the attic aerial more towards the other tower? The big 4 stations are more important to me than PBS but it's nice to have for the kids' sake (they can just watch Netflix anyway...)
2) It looks like the aerial in the attic does not have a pre-amp, is one needed, or a straight amplifier?
3) the cord leading from the attic to the basement is an old flat ribbon-type cord, not a normal coaxial (I seem to remember these from when I was a kid). Does that make a difference?

Really, I'm pretty lucky to have found the attic antenna and the existing wire was still in place but not being used. I'll need to install a separate coaxial cable box next to my tv so I can fish the antenna cable down next to the tv since my internet is piped in via the current coax box. Again, I've got all the channels that I need (mainly for live sports) so I don't mind leaving things as is but it would be nice to be able to pick up KCTS for the kids.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
post #10084 of 10098 Old 09-05-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Carter View Post
Hi all

Chris
Nearest cross streets would help, but experience with homes on the east side of Capital Hill has shown that 4,5,7 & 16, from Queen Anne hill, just aren't there. You're in the signal shadow of the hill. TV Fool doesn't take into account hills, trees and buildings, among other things, so it's not a great indicator of what you can expect. It does say where the antenna towers are, and give relative distances, which can help answer those questions.
Your old location may have been just far enough east of Capital Hill to get some of the signals.
Send the cross streets and I can give you a better answer.
Dan
post #10085 of 10098 Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAT Shoreline View Post
Recently moved from the Greenwood area (where I was able to get everything OTA from a cheap indoor antenna) to Shoreline area. TV is not quite basement level but wrong side of house to be able to get any sort of LOS to the various towers from window access. I experimented with the LEAF-type indoor antennas -- got decent signal (mainly care about major 4 channels for sports, but PBS for kids) for KING, KOMO, KIRO, FOX but not great. Intermittent interruptions - bad for sports. I tried out the Winegard FreeVision, worked much better but still couldn't pull in a few of the lesser channels (where Sounders FC broadcasts -- 22.1).

Skip to, come to find out that the previous owner of the home had installed an aerial in the attic. Not sure of brand, age or anything else, but it's probably 3-4 feet in length. Located wire that drops down into where the tv is located. Hook it up last night and presto, best reception yet for all channels (including 22.1). BUT...KCTS/PBS (channel 9.1) barely comes in at all.

I'm confused because according to TVFool.com, KCTS is on the same tower as a few other channels I seem to get pretty well (11, 22).

Here is my TVFool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f838211e979

So, a few questions:

1) Do I need to readjust the angle of the attic aerial more towards the other tower? The big 4 stations are more important to me than PBS but it's nice to have for the kids' sake (they can just watch Netflix anyway...)
2) It looks like the aerial in the attic does not have a pre-amp, is one needed, or a straight amplifier?
3) the cord leading from the attic to the basement is an old flat ribbon-type cord, not a normal coaxial (I seem to remember these from when I was a kid). Does that make a difference?

Really, I'm pretty lucky to have found the attic antenna and the existing wire was still in place but not being used. I'll need to install a separate coaxial cable box next to my tv so I can fish the antenna cable down next to the tv since my internet is piped in via the current coax box. Again, I've got all the channels that I need (mainly for live sports) so I don't mind leaving things as is but it would be nice to be able to pick up KCTS for the kids.

Any help/advice would be most appreciated.
OAT Shoreline
Your area can make things tough on some channels, while others come in fine. It's all those trees in the path.
Old twin lead, the flat brown wire, will act like an antenna and give you signal that may or may not help with reception. It could also be why ch9 doesn't come in when ch11 or 22 does. Trying to sort out problems, with twin lead as the medium to get signal from antenna to your tuner, can be very frustrating. It wouldn't hurt to move the attic antenna around, just for grins, but very careful and aware of how the twin lead is oriented. Just moving it out of the way to get around up there can cause major differences in reception. The thing to try next would be replacing the twin lead with coax. A lot of times in older homes they didn't secure the twin lead like they do stapling coax. Metal around or near twin lead causes problems. It' might be possible to use the twin lead as a pull for replacing the coax, specially if it's a straight run to your tuner. Ideally, trying the antenna outside where it can get a cleaner shot to the towers would be recommended. Last, of course, would be a different antenna.
Dan
post #10086 of 10098 Old 09-05-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bronco View Post
Does anyone have any luck with OTA signals in Mt. Vernon or the surrounding Skagit area? I'm considering taking the plunge and trying my luck with an antenna.
67Bronco
Great truck!
Send your exact address to me in a private message.
Dan
post #10087 of 10098 Old 09-08-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bronco View Post
Does anyone have any luck with OTA signals in Mt. Vernon or the surrounding Skagit area? I'm considering taking the plunge and trying my luck with an antenna.
FYI there is a very low-power Mt. Vernon KIRO repeater (RF28, virtual channel 7.1), and KVOS, K24IC (KBTC) and KBCB are close as well. For fun, I ran a TV Fool chart based on ground level at the Mt. Vernon main post office at 1207 CLEVELAND AVE:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243a5ae9f0f57

Per TV Fool. at the downtown Mt. Vernon Post Office location it would be conceivable that one could also view Canadian stations CHAN, CIVT, CIVI, CHNM and CKVU. However, we don't know exactly where you live, and are guessing you'd really like to be able to watch KING, KOMO, KCTS, KSTW, KZJO and KCPQ. Dan can give you more help for your exact location.
post #10088 of 10098 Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM

"Ghost Twin" Channel 13.1 FOX

In Pierce County, sometimes after a routine rescan on my OTA digital converter box, I will get two channel 13.1s. One is FOX 13 and one is a no-signal, blank, void, nothingness. It's kind of cute but I can't help being curious about the why and how of this quirk. No other channel does this.

I get rid of this phantom 13.1 by going to the add/delete channel page on the tuner menu and hitting the delete button. It's not a big deal but it is a minor inconveniece.

I'm not too scared about the rumors of free over-the-air TV disappearing. I think it's probably here to stay.

By the way, this site works much better on Firefox than on Explorer XP Pro.

Last edited by Point and Click; 09-23-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: further comment
post #10089 of 10098 Old 09-23-2014, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
KCPQ has two transmitters, one on channel 13 and one on channel 22.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10090 of 10098 Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM

Kcpq fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
KCPQ has two transmitters, one on channel 13 and one on channel 22.

- Trip
Yeah, I get 22.1 too but 13.1 is the only one that arrives with the surprise Siamese twin once in awhile. The two separate transmitters probably explains the mystery.

Thanks.

Last edited by Point and Click; 09-23-2014 at 01:25 PM.
post #10091 of 10098 Old 09-23-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

No, I mean, KZJO is on channel 25 and appears on your TV as 22-1, but KCPQ has transmitters on both 13 and 22 that both show up as 13-1.

- Trip

N4MJC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10092 of 10098 Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Kcpq fox 13.1 & 13.1

Quote:
No, I mean, KZJO is on channel 25 and appears on your TV as 22-1, but KCPQ has transmitters on both 13 and 22 that both show up as 13-1.

- Trip
Now I get it (I guess). Thanks for clarifying.

This is off topic but PBS 9.1 and 9.3 from downtown Seattle show up here in the South Sound region once in awhile unexpectedly too. It's a nice complement to the local PBS 28.1 KBTC (Bates Technical College) which always comes in super-strong (approaching 90%) but has slightly different programming. The channel 9 KCTS signal is usually only about 17% and tends to pixilate but I like it anyway.

I vaguely recall a comment from somewhere stating that 9 can't boost their signal because it would interfere with a Canuck station.

9/24/14 noon PDT: 9.3 CREATE clear picture and sound. Rain seems to have no effect!(Tacoma area)

Last edited by Point and Click; 09-24-2014 at 12:54 PM. Reason: additional info
post #10093 of 10098 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

Failing reception

Hi All,

I had some much appreciated advice from Dan and others a few years back (fall of 2011 – post #9217 ). I live ~50 miles north of Seattle. My current set-up is a 91XG and a Channel Master 7777 preamp ~30 ft above the ground (telescoping mast with rotor).

My cross streets are 48th ave nw and 220th st nw, 98292 (the third building to the north and west of that intersection if you’re using google-earth). I’m on the northern downslope of a hill and I don’t get any Seattle based stations from the south.

Here’s my TVfool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2439bbe06632f

I first had the antenna system (plus Winegard YA1713) installed on the south end of the house in the hopes of getting KCPQ and possibly Tiger Mt. The antenna was ~50 ft in the air. At that location I got KVOS and KIRO 7 (Mt Vernon translator) plus these Canadian stations: 02 (CBUT 43.1), 08 (CHAN 22.1), 32 (CIVT 32.1), 17 (CIVI 17.1) 42 (CHNM 20.1) and 10 (CKVU 33.1). I was not able to receive ANY Seattle stations, including any of those off of Tiger Mt or KCPQ. A month after installing the antenna, there was a minor wind storm, and for some reason I lost CKVU and probably a good quarter of the signal strength from all the other stations. After discussing it with some folks here, I decided to move the antenna to the north end of the house to try and get a better line of site to the Canadian stations (less interference by trees). By the time I got around to moving it (summer 2012), CHAN and KVOS receptions were becoming more and more flakey – where previously they had been my strongest stations. Unfortunately, moving the antenna did not help, and I pretty much lost ‘watchable’ CHAN and KVOS for good. As of ~4 weeks ago, I lost KIRO 7 out of Mt Vernon. Now, I only get a picture here and there (so I know the station is up and running). I still get watchable CIVT, CIVI, CHNM and CBUT with only the occasional full drop-out.

Does anybody have a clue as to what could be happening? Does this sound like a failing preAmp? Or a failing tuner? What is odd is that it’s all of my best reception channels that are gone. It’s not possible that my preAmp is causing an overload, is it??? Not when I’ve got 100 ft of cable and TVfool has all stations in the red? I’ve also read that baluns can go bad – but wouldn’t that kill all of my channels? Obviously all of my connections were disconnected/reconnected and re-taped etc when I moved the antenna, and that didn't fix anything with regards to KVOS or CHAN so I don't think that's the problem. Something else I've wondered about: my house is old, my wiring is just as old, and none of my outlets are grounded. Could fluctuations in current cause my preAmp to fail or distort the signal?

I was considering buying a Channel Master 7001 tuner (although it has terrible reviews RE longevity), but thought I’d hop on here and get some ideas from those in the know before throwing more money at it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sherry
post #10094 of 10098 Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

OTA in Silver Firs area.

I live in a townhouse right by Glacier Peak High School in Snohomish. I've had very limited success with various indoor antennae, and am wondering if an attic antenna could do the job better. My concern is that Clearview hill, to my south, would still block most of my reception potential. Any thoughts?
post #10095 of 10098 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

New location

Hey experts!

You helped me two years ago (very thankful), but I recently moved to a better location for TV signal actually. Anyway, due to HOA, I can't have an antenna outside, thus I've resorted to the attic. My problem, I'm getting 4 (in the 60s) and 7 (in the 70s) and 16 (in the 70s), however KING is only 30 percent (but jumping from zero to 30s).

It's my understanding that 5 and 16 share the same tower. Any ideas why these signals are so different? KING is UHF 48, and KONG is UHF 31, is that the cause? Any fix I'm missing? BTW, TV Fool says I'll have no problem getting any of these channels.

Thanks!
post #10096 of 10098 Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwskier25 View Post
I live in a townhouse right by Glacier Peak High School in Snohomish. I've had very limited success with various indoor antennae, and am wondering if an attic antenna could do the job better. My concern is that Clearview hill, to my south, would still block most of my reception potential. Any thoughts?
I live near you in Snohomish. If you are on top of the hill you should be fine, unless you are in some valley of some short. GP HS is on the side of the hill that leads to the valley, how far down are you?

Easy to check. Head to TVfool.com and look at the map. It's color coded and will help you determine what type of antenna you should get as well. Like you, I did not want to place my antenna outside, but if you can, DO IT!
post #10097 of 10098 Old Today, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlovety View Post
Anyway, due to HOA, I can't have an antenna outside
Yes you can. http://www.fcc.gov/guides/over-air-r...n-devices-rule

- Trip

N4MJC

post #10098 of 10098 Old Today, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Trip! Great info!

I did get King, made a slight adjustment and I've got it.

Thanks!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List