post #10111 of 10113 Old 10-15-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Keep in mind, the FCC's OTARD rule only addresses "limited common area" which is assigned in the Association's declarations to your individual unit. OTARD does NOT obligate an HOA or condo community to let you place any antennas or dishes on common area.

I served 10 years on a condo board. Satellite dish companies often put their new customers in jeopardy by installing dishes in places not covered by OTARD. Condo unit owners, in particular, really CANNOT rely on what an installer tells them, it's imperative that you speak to the Board or their community-association-management company to learn what (if any) areas outside your unit are classified as limited common area. At our older condo complex which was devised in the 1970s, a surprising number of our units had ZERO assigned limited common area, even though there was a patio-like area in front of the door, that area actually belonged 100% to the Association and not to the unit owner.

As my friend Dan Kurts can attest, I am SOOOO happy to live in a regular house nowadays!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10113 Old 10-15-2014, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik816 View Post
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help and expertise! After further testing with the Mohu, I realized that I can get channel 5 in one location, and channel 16 in another. Can't manage to get them both in the same spot yet, and no luck with 4 or 7 at all. This is by placing the indoor antenna near the ceiling on the lower level of our home, near the TV. Does this indicate that maybe I AM getting some reception from the Queen Anne tower and a higher antenna could work? Erik
You might get some reception from Queen Anne but because of geographic obstructions the signal quality isn't ideal. Your "signal strength" meter might show as strong yet there's so much multipath distortion that a channel exhibits frequent signal pixellation, freeze-ups and picture/sound loss. In the City of Seattle, Limited Basic Cable service is $16.90 per month (plus fees for the required DTAs or set-top boxes, and taxes); much as I like using an antenna for free TV (we have a rooftop antenna here), paying for Limited Basic is probably a better use of your spare time and mental bandwidth than making a time-intensive hobby of fiddling with indoor antennas.
post #10113 of 10113 Old 10-15-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATZie View Post
Hello! I'm a newbie on this site so please be kind. Thanks!

As I'm looking around my condo in Seattle (Belltown) I have 5 Amazon boxes of OTA Antenna's I recently purchased to try to help me resolve the reception issues I'm having. As of yet I still haven't found the "perfect" solution for me to receive ALL the local OTA HD stations. This project has been a huge pain!

Yikes! I've been told this is an issue in/around the Seattle area. If anyone could help provide some guidance or best practice I would sincerely appreciate it. I don't know where else to turn. I've been working on this project on and off for a few weeks and I'm about to loose it. Lol. Below are the details of my set-up:

Location Background:
- Cedar & Western Ave in Seattle are my cross streets (Belltown Area)
- I live in a 5 year old pure concrete 12 floor hi-rise condo facing straight North. All my windows face North.
- No rooftop or "attic" available for exterior antenna placement
- I have a large balcony again facing north - last, last resort might be able to place an antenna?
- I have hi-rise buildings immediately to my left, right, front. I have a clear view of the sky facing North.
- The only area of clear space with zero buildings blocking if you can imagine from a clock perspective approx: 9p - 3am. Hope that makes sense? Lol

Below is my tvfool link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24316b661f4ba

Tuner:
SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US

From a set-up perspective I've used the amplified signal on all antennas and on the 1Byone Antenna has an adjustable signal which I have played around to test also I've placed the leafs on the window and not once have I been able to lock in KCTS.

Below are the antenna's I've purchased from Amazon within the past month and the HD stations I'm receiving clearly (I'm looking to receive local HD stations only):

Original Mohu Leaf Paper Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KSTW, KCPQ, KONG (the stations ONLY work if I bend the antenna up towards the sky)
Mohu Refurbished Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
Terk FDTV1A Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
1Byone® Marine&Caravan Circular -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG

So there you go! I'm willing to try just about anything and everything at this point to be able to get all the local OTA HD stations including trying a new antenna. I hope I provided you all the details you need - if not please let me know. Thank you for your assistance in advance I greatly appreciate it! KATZie
Turn the antenna amplifiers OFF. Looking closely at your TV Fool numbers, the signal strength numbers are extremely high and using any kind of amplifier is likely to create a very nasty overload. (DanKurts could explain this more thoroughly).
On KING, KONG, KIRO, KUNS, KOMO, KZJO, KCTS, KSTW, KCPQ... you could probably insert a paper clip into the antenna connector.
Do not buy any more antennas! You are only 1-2 miles from the transmitters and your real problem impairing your reception is signal overload.
post #10114 of 10113 Old 10-15-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point and Click View Post
In Pierce County, sometimes after a routine rescan on my OTA digital converter box, I will get two channel 13.1s. One is FOX 13 and one is a no-signal, blank, void, nothingness. It's kind of cute but I can't help being curious about the why and how of this quirk. No other channel does this...... I get rid of this phantom 13.1 by going to the add/delete channel page on the tuner menu and hitting the delete button. It's not a big deal but it is a minor inconveniece......
I'm not sure where in Pierce County you live, but KCPQ actually has THREE translators in Western Washington: KCPQ (RF 22) in Seattle, K25CG-D (RF 25) in Aberdeen, and K42CM-D in Centralia/Chehalis.

Have you been able to check to see if your "second" KCPQ feed is from RF 42 in Centralia?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page