post #10111 of 10122 Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik816 View Post
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help and expertise! After further testing with the Mohu, I realized that I can get channel 5 in one location, and channel 16 in another. Can't manage to get them both in the same spot yet, and no luck with 4 or 7 at all. This is by placing the indoor antenna near the ceiling on the lower level of our home, near the TV. Does this indicate that maybe I AM getting some reception from the Queen Anne tower and a higher antenna could work? Erik
You might get some reception from Queen Anne but because of geographic obstructions the signal quality isn't ideal. Your "signal strength" meter might show as strong yet there's so much multipath distortion that a channel exhibits frequent signal pixellation, freeze-ups and picture/sound loss. In the City of Seattle, Limited Basic Cable service is $16.90 per month (plus fees for the required DTAs or set-top boxes, and taxes); much as I like using an antenna for free TV (we have a rooftop antenna here), paying for Limited Basic is probably a better use of your spare time and mental bandwidth than making a time-intensive hobby of fiddling with indoor antennas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10122 Old 10-15-2014, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KATZie View Post
Hello! I'm a newbie on this site so please be kind. Thanks!

As I'm looking around my condo in Seattle (Belltown) I have 5 Amazon boxes of OTA Antenna's I recently purchased to try to help me resolve the reception issues I'm having. As of yet I still haven't found the "perfect" solution for me to receive ALL the local OTA HD stations. This project has been a huge pain!

Yikes! I've been told this is an issue in/around the Seattle area. If anyone could help provide some guidance or best practice I would sincerely appreciate it. I don't know where else to turn. I've been working on this project on and off for a few weeks and I'm about to loose it. Lol. Below are the details of my set-up:

Location Background:
- Cedar & Western Ave in Seattle are my cross streets (Belltown Area)
- I live in a 5 year old pure concrete 12 floor hi-rise condo facing straight North. All my windows face North.
- No rooftop or "attic" available for exterior antenna placement
- I have a large balcony again facing north - last, last resort might be able to place an antenna?
- I have hi-rise buildings immediately to my left, right, front. I have a clear view of the sky facing North.
- The only area of clear space with zero buildings blocking if you can imagine from a clock perspective approx: 9p - 3am. Hope that makes sense? Lol

Below is my tvfool link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24316b661f4ba

Tuner:
SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US

From a set-up perspective I've used the amplified signal on all antennas and on the 1Byone Antenna has an adjustable signal which I have played around to test also I've placed the leafs on the window and not once have I been able to lock in KCTS.

Below are the antenna's I've purchased from Amazon within the past month and the HD stations I'm receiving clearly (I'm looking to receive local HD stations only):

Original Mohu Leaf Paper Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KSTW, KCPQ, KONG (the stations ONLY work if I bend the antenna up towards the sky)
Mohu Refurbished Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
Terk FDTV1A Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
1Byone® Marine&Caravan Circular -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG

So there you go! I'm willing to try just about anything and everything at this point to be able to get all the local OTA HD stations including trying a new antenna. I hope I provided you all the details you need - if not please let me know. Thank you for your assistance in advance I greatly appreciate it! KATZie
Turn the antenna amplifiers OFF. Looking closely at your TV Fool numbers, the signal strength numbers are extremely high and using any kind of amplifier is likely to create a very nasty overload. (DanKurts could explain this more thoroughly).
On KING, KONG, KIRO, KUNS, KOMO, KZJO, KCTS, KSTW, KCPQ... you could probably insert a paper clip into the antenna connector.
Do not buy any more antennas! You are only 1-2 miles from the transmitters and your real problem impairing your reception is signal overload.
post #10113 of 10122 Old 10-15-2014, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point and Click View Post
In Pierce County, sometimes after a routine rescan on my OTA digital converter box, I will get two channel 13.1s. One is FOX 13 and one is a no-signal, blank, void, nothingness. It's kind of cute but I can't help being curious about the why and how of this quirk. No other channel does this...... I get rid of this phantom 13.1 by going to the add/delete channel page on the tuner menu and hitting the delete button. It's not a big deal but it is a minor inconveniece......
I'm not sure where in Pierce County you live, but KCPQ actually has THREE translators in Western Washington: KCPQ (RF 22) in Seattle, K25CG-D (RF 25) in Aberdeen, and K42CM-D in Centralia/Chehalis.

Have you been able to check to see if your "second" KCPQ feed is from RF 42 in Centralia?

post #10114 of 10122 Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik816 View Post
Thanks Dan, I appreciate your help and expertise! After further testing with the Mohu, I realized that I can get channel 5 in one location, and channel 16 in another. Can't manage to get them both in the same spot yet, and no luck with 4 or 7 at all. This is by placing the indoor antenna near the ceiling on the lower level of our home, near the TV. Does this indicate that maybe I AM getting some reception from the Queen Anne tower and a higher antenna could work?

Erik
Erik816
You're probably getting signal bouncing off something. Not a very reliable method, as you've found out.
Sadly, it is not a good indicator of possible reception, in your case. No harm in playing around with an antenna. Just don't be surprised at the results, and keep all your receipts so you can return things.
Dan
post #10115 of 10122 Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by KATZie View Post
Hello! I'm a newbie on this site so please be kind. Thanks!

As I'm looking around my condo in Seattle (Belltown) I have 5 Amazon boxes of OTA Antenna's I recently purchased to try to help me resolve the reception issues I'm having. As of yet I still haven't found the "perfect" solution for me to receive ALL the local OTA HD stations. This project has been a huge pain!

Yikes! I've been told this is an issue in/around the Seattle area. If anyone could help provide some guidance or best practice I would sincerely appreciate it. I don't know where else to turn. I've been working on this project on and off for a few weeks and I'm about to loose it. Lol.

Below are the details of my set-up:

Location Background:
- Cedar & Western Ave in Seattle are my cross streets (Belltown Area)
- I live in a 5 year old pure concrete 12 floor hi-rise condo facing straight North. All my windows face North.
- No rooftop or "attic" available for exterior antenna placement
- I have a large balcony again facing north - last, last resort might be able to place an antenna?
- I have hi-rise buildings immediately to my left, right, front. I have a clear view of the sky facing North.
- The only area of clear space with zero buildings blocking if you can imagine from a clock perspective approx: 9p - 3am. Hope that makes sense? Lol

Below is my tvfool link:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24316b661f4ba

Tuner:
SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL 2-Tuner ATSC DLNA/UPnP Compatible Streaming Media Player, HDHR4-2US

From a set-up perspective I've used the amplified signal on all antennas and on the 1Byone Antenna has an adjustable signal which I have played around to test also I've placed the leafs on the window and not once have I been able to lock in KCTS.

Below are the antenna's I've purchased from Amazon within the past month and the HD stations I'm receiving clearly (I'm looking to receive local HD stations only):

Original Mohu Leaf Paper Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KSTW, KCPQ, KONG (the stations ONLY work if I bend the antenna up towards the sky)
Mohu Refurbished Leaf 50 HDTV Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
Terk FDTV1A Flat Digital Omni Directional Amplified Indoor Antenna -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG
1Byone® Marine&Caravan Circular -----> KOMO, KING, KIRO, KONG

So there you go! I'm willing to try just about anything and everything at this point to be able to get all the local OTA HD stations including trying a new antenna. I hope I provided you all the details you need - if not please let me know.

Thank you for your assistance in advance I greatly appreciate it!

KATZie
KATZie
The location is not good for a variety of reasons.
You are very close to the towers, and signals are so strong they're bouncing all around your rooms. It makes reception difficult, as some frequencies will cancel themselves, when others don't, depending on antenna type, location, and aiming. KCTS is in the wrong direction, through your concrete building, and about 50 other buildings downtown, too. And then, using any antenna with an amplifier in it just makes things worse in strong signal areas.
It's no wonder you're going nuts. You may find a location that gets some channels, mainly 4-5-7-16, but the rest are coming from directions that go through your building, and many others, so it's pretty difficult, if not impossible.
Cable does offer a basic package for about $13/mo.
Dan
post #10116 of 10122 Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 19
KING launches the Justice Network, according to the following story.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/justice-...tt-1201280309/

http://www.rabbitears.info/search.ph...ustice+Network

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.

Last edited by rdvegas; 11-13-2014 at 08:08 AM.
post #10117 of 10122 Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Kuse-ld

They're tweaking KUSE-LD right now as we speak. PSIP has:
46.1 HOT-TV (previously on 46.5)
46.2 PEACE (Peace TV)
46.3 SBN
46.4 ONTV4U
46.5 RTVE (RetroTV, previously on 7.2)
46.6 REVN (Rev'N, new network for automotive performance enthusiasts)

HOT-TV is currently on 46.1, with color bars and Hot-TV audio on 46.5. 46.6 appears to still be infomercials.
post #10118 of 10122 Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengabus (Richard) View Post
46.6 REVN (Rev'N, new network for automotive performance enthusiasts)

46.6 appears to still be infomercials.

REV'N has a December 1st national launch date.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #10119 of 10122 Old 11-12-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
REV'N has a December 1st national launch date.
Awesome! Should be interesting!

Moving HOT-TV to 46.1 was a good move (for HOT-TV). Puts it in a channel position right next to CoziTV. Not sure if it was intentional, but a better spot than being sandwiched between two infomercial channels.

I'm guessing RetroTV will be a December launch too, since it's still on color bars and is owned by the same folks who run Rev'N.

R
post #10120 of 10122 Old 11-14-2014, 04:11 PM

Liked: 10
I am located in Puyallup, WA on South Hill near the mall. Any advice for a good antenna? I am very new with this and just started shopping. Interior is ideal, then attic. But if I must go with the roof to get reception, is there something not huge that would work?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243b013e1e425
post #10121 of 10122 Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengabus (Richard) View Post
Awesome! Should be interesting!.... Moving HOT-TV to 46.1 was a good move (for HOT-TV). Puts it in a channel position right next to CoziTV. Not sure if it was intentional, but a better spot than being sandwiched between two infomercial channels......I'm guessing RetroTV will be a December launch too, since it's still on color bars and is owned by the same folks who run Rev'N.... R
RetroTV is up and running on 46.5! It's nice to have RetroTV back, even though the program selection is not quite what it was in 2007-2008. KUSE-LD has now become relevant. Now if KUSE's application for a power increase were approved, their signal would have a better chance of reaching viewers throughout the Greater Seattle area.

The 480i picture quality for RetroTV on 46.5 is satisfactory (not outstanding but acceptable) but does anyone know why picture quality for HOT-TV is so poor?

Another question: why doesn't KUSE-LD offer any PSIP information so we can detect what programs are being televised?

My professionally-installed 4228 on the side of our roof doesn't pick up 100% reliable signal on KUSE, KWPX or KWBF, and while I have been able to use an antenna switcher between the outdoor 4228 and an indoor antenna, the indoor antenna doesn't quite seem to hold these stations, which in theory are line-of-sight. Here's the TV Fool information for our location using three different height levels: ground level where an indoor antenna would be placed, 20 feet above ground level where the 4228 is currently installed, 25 feet above ground level which is where signal strength on most channels noticeably improves (hindsight being 20/20), and 30 feet above ground level - in all likelihood, 25 feet AGL is probably the best compromise so that the antenna remains very securely fastened against wind conditions:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d2437fd49eca25 (ground level)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243bb4bdea3f1 (20 feet above ground level)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243ea35c351a9 (25 feet above ground level)
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243c6ec9ddd3a (30 feet above ground level)

Keep in mind that there are a LOT of tall trees in this particular neighborhood, which really mess up our reception in a manner not fully shown on TV Fool, but a higher elevation above ground level could help. Our installer was very, very diligent to find the best spot possible to receive the Capital Hill/Queen Anne stations and largely succeeded except for some breakups on KBTC/16, which showed as being a very clean high-quality signal but very weak in terms of power level. The only direction for which there aren't tall trees visibly in the path of the TV transmitters would be straight to the west in the direction of Gold Mountain (KCPQ RF 13 and KTBW RF 14).

Should I go through the bother of having the existing 4228 placed on a taller mast - about 5 feet higher in elevation - with the hope of gaining a better signal on KBTC/16 as well as extra signal from the side on the West Tiger stations? If the 4228 was higher, and I wanted to reliably receive KUSE/KWPX/KWBF from the east, would I also need a second very small antenna pointed to the east and linked using a joiner?

One last remark: in undertaking numerous long walks around my neighborhood, I have seen quite a few TV antenna installations - more than I had anticipated. Most of the houses in my neighborhood are about 50 feet to 100 feet higher in elevation. All of the installed antennas I've seen in the neighborhood are placed at least 10 feet above roofline - 30 feet AGL for a single-story home and 40-45 feet AGL for a two-story home. I even saw one antenna at the very crest of our plateau hill which was placed on a very, very tall mast about 60 feet above the ground!

Any ideas or suggestions?

Last edited by seatacboy; Yesterday at 08:46 AM.
post #10122 of 10122 Old Today, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Many stations, mostly LPTV's, do not add the program data to their PSIP's to save bandwidth that they can use elsewhere.

Visual quality of programs on History of Television varies from poor to excellent depending upon the source material. Date With The Angels is among the worst they offer, while some programs and movies are of very good visual quality. The Mickey Rooney program lacks contrast, yet is of good quality, if that makes any sense. My opinions are based upon viewing HOT via KNBX 31.4 Las Vegas, not KUSE Seattle. Currently HOT is only in four markets, all of them on Mako owned stations.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page