post #991 of 10074 Old 05-16-2004, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by litzdog911
Well, simply installing a 2-way splitter seems to have solved my KIRO-DT issues. I haven't seen any breakups in over two hours now, but right now the winds are calm and that may make a difference.

I've updated my original post with the new signal strength readings. Mostly they seem much steadier and perhaps 1-2pts lower, but again the winds are calm right now. The splitter did knock down KSTW-DT's signal enough that I can't receive anything anymore, but other than Star Trek Enterprise I don't watch anything there anyway.

Keeping my fingers crossed that the splitter solved the problem!

Well, it was too good to be true .... simply installing a signal splitter did not solve my KIRO-DT reception problem. Even though it seemed to be great all day, this evening when I checked it was messed up worse than the past couple of evenings. It was so bad that the receiver barely could lock to the signal, and signal meter was bouncing between 0-50. I tried adding more attenuation by serially connecting three splitters (-15 dB), but that didn't help.

What's still very puzzling to me is that all of the other key stations (except for KSTW, of course) come in solidly with no dropouts -- steady signals between 80-90. It's just KIRO-DT that's having issues. And it seemed great all day today. The HR10-250 Tivo recorder came in very handy since I could record a few hours, then scan through the recording looking for signal breakups. I never saw any this afternoon. Yet this evening it was a mess.

Could something be up with KIRO's transmitter? Anyone else have issues with KIRO-DT last night?

I'll be checking it again this morning and will probably pull out the ladder to try moving the antenna around. If it works great all day and is messed up again in the evening I'll be even more puzzled!

Maybe it's time to call Dan the Antenna Man!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 10074 Old 05-16-2004, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by quarque
Since the SqS is fairly low gain I would doubt you are getting overload. Typically when one sees a signal level bounce on a regular basis it is multipath. You might try some different locations since even 1 foot of change can make a difference with reflections.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. The SqS has only 4dB of gain, and I'm 17 miles from the Seattle transmitters, so I doubt it's overloading.

What's puzzling me is this .... if it's multipath, why would only KIRO-DT on Channel 39 be affected while KOMO-DT on Channel 38 comes in rock solid? And, as I noted in my previous post, all day today KIRO-DT was great. I never saw a glitch. Then this evening when I checked it was totally messed up even worse that last night.

Maybe there's something up with KIRO's transmission pattern, or are they currently not at full power during certain hours?
post #993 of 10074 Old 05-16-2004, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought, too. The SqS has only 4dB of gain, and I'm 17 miles from the Seattle transmitters, so I doubt it's overloading.

What's puzzling me is this .... if it's multipath, why would only KIRO-DT on Channel 39 be affected while KOMO-DT on Channel 38 comes in rock solid? And, as I noted in my previous post, all day today KIRO-DT was great. I never saw a glitch. Then this evening when I checked it was totally messed up even worse that last night.

Maybe there's something up with KIRO's transmission pattern, or are they currently not at full power during certain hours?

KIRO, KOMO and KING towers are not in exactly the same location and also not at the same elevation. This is enough to cause slight variations in reflected signals. The current location of your antenna may just be in one of the spots that does not favor KIRO. I would try different locations and heights since those are two of the main variables in the equation. Your situation is common and most people ended up solving it by experimenting with location changes. KIRO's radiation pattern covers everything well except to the west - so that is not your problem. Since KIRO has been a problem for you for a while I'm pretty sure it is not their transmission. If it were there would be a flurry of AVS messages about it.

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #994 of 10074 Old 05-16-2004, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KIRO, KOMO and KING towers are not in exactly the same location and also not at the same elevation. This is enough to cause slight variations in reflected signals. The current location of your antenna may just be in one of the spots that does not favor KIRO. I would try different locations and heights since those are two of the main variables in the equation. Your situation is common and most people ended up solving it by experimenting with location changes. KIRO's radiation pattern covers everything well except to the west - so that is not your problem. Since KIRO has been a problem for you for a while I'm pretty sure it is not their transmission. If it were there would be a flurry of AVS messages about it.

Yep, I think you were right. It's clearly a multipath issue that seemed to affect only KIRO-DT. This afternoon I re-aimed the antenna (more towards Bremerton) and also rotated the face of the SqS antenna by 90-deg. I think that did the trick. I now seem to have steady signals in the 80's on all the key channels (except KSTW-DT, of course). I Tivo'd some of the Manson movie "Helter Skelter" on KIRO-DT and never saw any problems.

It seems that the SqS actually has a rather broad front plane and isn't quite as directional as the polar patterns would suggest ... at least from 17 miles away. I was surprised at how little my signal strengths changed even with broad sweeps of the antenna from SE to SW.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to pull out the ladder again for a while!

EDIT: NOPE, this didn't solve it either. Still get occasional breakups on KIRO-DT. See later posts ....
post #995 of 10074 Old 05-17-2004, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, I think you were right. It's clearly a multipath issue that seemed to affect only KIRO-DT. This afternoon I re-aimed the antenna (more towards Bremerton) and also rotated the face of the SqS antenna by 90-deg. I think that did the trick. I now seem to have steady signals in the 80's on all the key channels (except KSTW-DT, of course). I Tivo'd some of the Manson movie "Helter Skelter" on KIRO-DT and never saw any problems.

It seems that the SqS actually has a rather broad front plane and isn't quite as directional as the polar patterns would suggest ... at least from 17 miles away. I was surprised at how little my signal strengths changed even with broad sweeps of the antenna from SE to SW.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't have to pull out the ladder again for a while!

Hmmmm, rotating the SqS 90 degrees has not been mentioned in any of the forums that I know of. Interesting to see if that is really the trick. The beamwidth is spec'd at 60 degrees but I would believe 90 degrees is more like the actual useful width if towers are not too far away.

post #996 of 10074 Old 05-17-2004, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmmm, rotating the SqS 90 degrees has not been mentioned in any of the forums that I know of. Interesting to see if that is really the trick. The beamwidth is spec'd at 60 degrees but I would believe 90 degrees is more like the actual useful width if towers are not too far away.

Well, KIRO-DT was better this evening, but still had several breakups and audio dropouts during CSI:Miami. The signal meter showed a steady 91-92 when I checked after CSI.

I think the beamwidth is simply too broad and multipath is my enemy. I may try increasing my antenna height somewhat, or simply try a different antenna. I really like the esthetics of the SquareShooter, but it's just not working for KIRO-DT at my house.
post #997 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 05:43 AM

FWIW, I heard 3 seperate 1/2 second audio cutouts during the first half of CSI:M also. No breakups however, and my signal is 96-100. Maybe the audio part was on their end?

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #998 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, KIRO-DT was better this evening, but still had several breakups and audio dropouts during CSI:Miami. The signal meter showed a steady 91-92 when I checked after CSI.

I think the beamwidth is simply too broad and multipath is my enemy. I may try increasing my antenna height somewhat, or simply try a different antenna. I really like the esthetics of the SquareShooter, but it's just not working for KIRO-DT at my house.

In reviewing the FCC database, I see that KIRO-DT applied in March 2004 to increase their power from 603kW to 1000kW. Does anybody know if they've done this yet, or when they plan to? Just wondering if that might solve my KIRO-DT problem so I don't need to replace my SquareShooter.
post #999 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I'm going replace my SquareShooter with another antenna to try and solve my KIRO-DT issue. Since I'm getting good signal levels (80-90) on all of the key channels with my SqS, I probably don't need much more gain. What I think I need is more directionality to minimize multipath.

The locations available on my house don't lend themselves to the highly rated Channel Master CM4228, so I'm leaning towards trying a yagi-style antenna.

As a quick & dirty attempt I could swing by Radio Shack and try their UHF yagi http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2160

or

I could try something like the CM3023/4248 yagi http://www.channelmaster.com/images/4248.jpg

Any thoughts from the experts here are welcome!

By the way, here's a photo of my current "antenna farm" ....
LL
post #1000 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I pull in KIRO fine with Radio Shack's VU-90 XR in an attic install. The only one I have had problems with is KSTW, and that seems to be working now too.

BTW, this antenna also pulls in KCPQ fine even though it's 90 degrees off. I haven't watched much Fox, however, so I'm not positive there are no pixel problems, etc., but short viewing sessions have been okay and the signal strength is great.
post #1001 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 09:35 AM
TAB

litzdog:
I have an extra 4248 sitting around if you want to try before you buy.
I'm in your neck of the woods - near 132nd st SE & 29th ave.
Tom
post #1002 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by TAB
litzdog:
I have an extra 4248 sitting around if you want to try before you buy.
I'm in your neck of the woods - near 132nd st SE & 29th ave.
Tom

Excellent! I would love to try it before I buy one. Check your private mail.

Thanks!
post #1003 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 04:41 PM

I seem to also be having problems with KIRO the last few days. It may be the leaves on the trees. I get alot of multipath here. the newer tuners seem to deal with it better.
post #1004 of 10074 Old 05-18-2004, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Bruceko
I seem to also be having problems with KIRO the last few days. It may be the leaves on the trees. I get alot of multipath here. the newer tuners seem to deal with it better.

Glad to know it's not just me ....

I'm going to borrow a CM4228 this evening and try that in my attic.

Also, does anyone know when KIRO-DT plans to up their power from 600kW to 1000kW? That might help, too.
post #1005 of 10074 Old 05-19-2004, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Glad to know it's not just me ....

I'm going to borrow a CM4228 this evening and try that in my attic.

Also, does anyone know when KIRO-DT plans to up their power from 600kW to 1000kW? That might help, too.

TAB was kind enough to loan me a CM4248 yagi antenna (not the CM4228 as I previously posted). I installed it in my attic, and preliminary results look promising. I'd like to try it with a preamp, though, since my cable run is pretty long and the attic is certainly attenuating some signal.

Is there a local source here for the CM7777 or CM7775 preamps?

Thanks!
post #1006 of 10074 Old 05-19-2004, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Gee, where has everyone gone?

I went ahead and ordered a CM7775 preamp from Warren Electronics. I also ordered a Join-Tenna for UHF Ch 18 in case I need to use my SquareShooter to "add" KCPQ-DT to my Seattle stations. They said it could 2-3 weeks because the JoinTenna is a special order item.

I'll post back when I hopefully have this setup working well.

And I'm still wondering if anyone knows when KIRO-DT plans to raise their power to 1000kW. Thanks!
post #1007 of 10074 Old 05-20-2004, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Got a quick reply to my email asking when KIRO-DT plans to up their transmitter power from 600kW to 1000kW. This is from Pat Otis, Chief Engineer at KIRO ...

We plan to have that project done before the end of the year. We are in the permit process currently.

Pat Otis
Chief Engineer
KIRO TV Seattle
post #1008 of 10074 Old 05-20-2004, 05:24 PM

Funnily enough, KIRO is the *only* digital channel I can get OTA -- can't get the digital feeds of any of the other channels. My issue seems to be trees (and a weak antenna that DirecTV installed) however.
post #1009 of 10074 Old 05-20-2004, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Gee, where has everyone gone?

I went ahead and ordered a CM7775 preamp from Warren Electronics. I also ordered a Join-Tenna for UHF Ch 18 in case I need to use my SquareShooter to "add" KCPQ-DT to my Seattle stations.

I've been reading, but haven't had anything to add.

Let us know how that Join-Tenna works!
post #1010 of 10074 Old 05-20-2004, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

TAB was kind enough to loan me a CM4248 yagi antenna (not the CM4228 as I previously posted). I installed it in my attic, and preliminary results look promising. I'd like to try it with a preamp, though, since my cable run is pretty long and the attic is certainly attenuating some signal.

Is there a local source here for the CM7777 or CM7775 preamps?

Thanks!

Too late I see, but I believe Pringles Electronics in Everett sells them.

Rick
post #1011 of 10074 Old 05-20-2004, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by RickE
Too late I see, but I believe Pringles Electronics in Everett sells them.

Rick

Thanks, Rick. Yeah, I called Pringles. Their price was pretty high. I'm in no rush now so I went ahead and ordered the stuff from Warren Electronics. The antenna that TAB loaned me seems to be working great (watched both back-to-back episodes of CSI this evening, and they looked awesome!), except I don't get KCPQ anymore. But since they don't broadcast any real HiDef programs anyway, I can live without them for awhile.
post #1012 of 10074 Old 05-21-2004, 05:56 PM

litzdog911,

I'm not too, too far from you (off Seattle Hill Rd just a bit south of 132nd) and I had lots of problems with KIRO-DT as well. I eventually found a location in the attic for my 4221 that was rock solid, but I lost stable reception of KSTW and KPCQ. A pre-amp was a necessity due to the attenuation of the attic/roof materials. There's definitely something in the Mill Creek area causing problems on that frequency.

I'll have to play with it more, but for now I'm a bit busy with the new "entertainment system" -- my 2.5 week old daughter.

-Lance
post #1013 of 10074 Old 05-22-2004, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by lkinley
litzdog911,

I'm not too, too far from you (off Seattle Hill Rd just a bit south of 132nd) and I had lots of problems with KIRO-DT as well. I eventually found a location in the attic for my 4221 that was rock solid, but I lost stable reception of KSTW and KPCQ. A pre-amp was a necessity due to the attenuation of the attic/roof materials. There's definitely something in the Mill Creek area causing problems on that frequency.

I'll have to play with it more, but for now I'm a bit busy with the new "entertainment system" -- my 2.5 week old daughter.

-Lance

Thanks, Lance! So far KIRO-DT is rock solid using the CM4248 that TAB loaned me. I have a preamp on order, along with a Channel 18 combiner so I can add my SquareShooter back into the mix just for KCPQ. That stuff should arrive in a couple of weeks.
post #1014 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 01:29 AM

So I have a bit of a newbie question. Some of my channels come in really solid, while some are pretty weak. Let's suppose I decide to try increasing the reception of the "weaker" channels by attaching a pre-amp to my antenna. Will this cause the "stronger" channels to start overloading?

I'd like to find a happy medium where all of the channels are just strong, and I'm considering using a pre-amp for this purpose.

Also, what can you guys recommend in the Bellevue/Redmond area as a good place to get a CM 7777 preamp (or equivalent)? Fry's/CC/BB doesn't seem to have any.

Ivan
post #1015 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Got a quick reply to my email asking when KIRO-DT plans to up their transmitter power from 600kW to 1000kW. This is from Pat Otis, Chief Engineer at KIRO ...

We plan to have that project done before the end of the year. We are in the permit process currently.

Pat Otis
Chief Engineer
KIRO TV Seattle

Now if we can only get KOMO to move their antenna off the side of their tower... I live to the NW and it is the only channel I can't get aside from the occasional "planets in alignment" reflected signal bouncing off puget sound or something... arrghh.
post #1016 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Ivan H.
So I have a bit of a newbie question. Some of my channels come in really solid, while some are pretty weak. Let's suppose I decide to try increasing the reception of the "weaker" channels by attaching a pre-amp to my antenna. Will this cause the "stronger" channels to start overloading?

I'd like to find a happy medium where all of the channels are just strong, and I'm considering using a pre-amp for this purpose.

Also, what can you guys recommend in the Bellevue/Redmond area as a good place to get a CM 7777 preamp (or equivalent)? Fry's/CC/BB doesn't seem to have any.

Ivan

Preamps are mainly for boosting the signal on long cable runs to the receiver not for fixing reception problems. They can sometimes help with weak channels but it is very unpredictable. If you have a poor signal due to poor signal-to-noise ratio from the antenna then a preamp won't help because it boosts the noise as much as the signal. Not to mention they add their own noise on top of everything. So the point is, you need to get good signal coming from the antenna. Unlkess you are using a pos like Terk, the main thing to try is different anntena locations and heights. And yes, a preamp can overload your strong signals and make them disappear. Which channels are giving you trouble? And is it serious dropouts or just a low reading on the signal meter?

post #1017 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Spike89
Now if we can only get KOMO to move their antenna off the side of their tower... I live to the NW and it is the only channel I can't get aside from the occasional "planets in alignment" reflected signal bouncing off puget sound or something... arrghh.

Not likely until 200x when we go ALL DIGITAL. Then they will have to address the coverage problems.

post #1018 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 03:54 PM

I purchased a preamp CM7777 to boost channel #9 but couldn't use it. It's just too much signal which affect channel #22. Anyone interest send me a private email. The CM7777 come complete with power supply and only 2 days old. I live about 2 miles West from Fry Electronics in Renton.

Price: $60.0
post #1019 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 04:21 PM

Quote:

Which channels are giving you trouble? And is it serious dropouts or just a low reading on the signal meter?

Sadly, it's the big three that I want that are giving me the most trouble: KOMO (ABC), KING (NBC), and KIRO (CBS). I get several other channels with immaculate reception, such as IND, PAX, and even WB, but channels 4, 5, and 7 come in very snowy. I should point out that, until I get a digital receiver, I'm just determining my reception via analog - I'm assuming that if I can get a decent signal via analog then the digital reception will be the same, as well as the inverse. The signals on the 3 channels are pretty snowy.

I'm using a Zenith Silver Sensor; unfortunately, I'm renting my apartment right now, so I don't have the luxury of putting up a big antenna (I had to fight pretty hard just to put up a DirecTV dish). One weird thing is that for the 3 channels above, I actually get reception if I point my Zenith 90-degrees from the direction of the transmitters - can't really explain that, unless I'm picking up a really-off multipath signal or something.

Is my assumption of analog reception correlating to digital reception correct? I want to know what my odds are of good reception before I shell out several hundred dollars for a receiver - if I'm not going to be picking any channels up, then I'll just hold off on the purchase until I move.

Ivan
post #1020 of 10074 Old 05-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Ivan,

Where do you live? Bellevue, Redmond?

As for analog-digital comparisons, sometimes they work, sometimes not. UHF and digital make things a little more difficult.

For the big 3 networks, a good check for you might be KONG 16. It's UHF and on the KING tower and located close to KIRO & KOMO, too.

Art Shotwell
Anacortes, Wash.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page