Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 341 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmills View Post
Thanks for replying, I appreciate the suggestions. I tried the paper clip and nothing but KCTS comes in. It's a mystery to me why one channel from the same tower will work but another won't, but I suppose that's the vagaries of RF. What are your thoughts on putting the antenna higher? The building next to me is approximately 30' off of the ground, about 5' taller than the point of my roof. If I get an antenna up to the 40' mark, would that possibly help? TV Fool still has the same results for 1Edge vs LOS if I put 38' AGL, for what it's worth.
One other thought for you, since the paperclip antenna did not work and you definitely face a dramatic signal-overload problem, try a low-cost non-amplified indoor antenna, such as the RCA ANT-111 http://www.shopvoxx.com/product/rca-...tal-tv-antenna or Radio Shack 15-1874 http://www.radioshack.com/radioshack...l#.VUqlx5Oo_T8. You won't need to extend the VHF rods very much. Both of these antennas have integrated RF cords so there are limitations on placement: the ANT-111 cord is four feet long, the 15-1874 is six feet long. The RCA is for sale at many brick and mortar stores like Walmart, Frys, and Best Buy. Try one of these cheap rabbit-ear type units before sending away for a floppy-flat antenna like the Channel Master Flatenna http://www.channelmaster.com/Flatenn.../cm-4001hd.htm, Mohu Leaf, Solid Signal HD-Blade, Winegard Flatwave, et al.

Finally, I suggest that you PM DanKurts. In the past, Dan actually installed various types of antennas for businesses and households.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 38
KSTW 11.2 will be the home for the summer launch of the CBS Decades network, according to RabbitEars.info.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
It's already on, from what I was told yesterday.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Old 05-10-2015, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
^^ I can confirm it's on. Watched Route 66 for the first time, binge-style last night!
Old 05-24-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9610172 View Post
Anyone?
I'm really wondering if directional antenna like HBU33 is ok or if I need multidirectional like CH4228.
m9610172,
If you still need help, send me a private message with your address.
Dan
Old 05-24-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesmills View Post
Thanks for replying, I appreciate the suggestions. I tried the paper clip and nothing but KCTS comes in. It's a mystery to me why one channel from the same tower will work but another won't, but I suppose that's the vagaries of RF. What are your thoughts on putting the antenna higher? The building next to me is approximately 30' off of the ground, about 5' taller than the point of my roof. If I get an antenna up to the 40' mark, would that possibly help? TV Fool still has the same results for 1Edge vs LOS if I put 38' AGL, for what it's worth.
wesmills,
If you still need help, send me your address in a private message.
Dan
Old 05-24-2015, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I'm looking for some help.

I have uploaded a photo to help explain my problem, I've attached the photo or click here (http://imgur.com/0Sg5boa). I have a great setup with two antenna, VHF and UHF, however I was never able to get KING very well. Due to the Superbowl being on KING this year, I figured I might as well get that channel tuned in. i bought another antenna and was able to position it where I got a great signal, however my KOMO and KIRO was very poor from that location. I bought a splitter/combiner and figured I'd combine both UHF antenna to it and then connect it to my UHF port on my pre-amp. Once I did that, all my UHF channels came thru but my VHF channels seemed to vanish, I no longer had KCPQ. If I unconnected my new antenna, KCPQ came back on (like drop from 65 percent to nothing, like it was being blocked).

Any idea why these two VHF antenna are knocking my KCPQ out? My pre-amp has three ports, UHF/VHF/output to pre-amp power module. Any idea why this isn't working? I've listed my gear in the attached diagram. Now that the weather is getting better and football season is getting closer, I figured I want to get this figured out.

Side problem, anyone having red bleeding issues on KIRO? I noticed that last football season.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AntennaMap.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	735266  
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlovety View Post
Hello, I'm looking for some help.

I have uploaded a photo to help explain my problem, I've attached the photo or click here (http://imgur.com/0Sg5boa). I have a great setup with two antenna, VHF and UHF, however I was never able to get KING very well. Due to the Superbowl being on KING this year, I figured I might as well get that channel tuned in. i bought another antenna and was able to position it where I got a great signal, however my KOMO and KIRO was very poor from that location. I bought a splitter/combiner and figured I'd combine both UHF antenna to it and then connect it to my UHF port on my pre-amp. Once I did that, all my UHF channels came thru but my VHF channels seemed to vanish, I no longer had KCPQ. If I unconnected my new antenna, KCPQ came back on (like drop from 65 percent to nothing, like it was being blocked).

Any idea why these two VHF antenna are knocking my KCPQ out? My pre-amp has three ports, UHF/VHF/output to pre-amp power module. Any idea why this isn't working? I've listed my gear in the attached diagram. Now that the weather is getting better and football season is getting closer, I figured I want to get this figured out.

Side problem, anyone having red bleeding issues on KIRO? I noticed that last football season.

Thanks!

Hard to say, suspect something strong on the UHF band is causing the preamp to get overloaded, and in turn the RF AGC is dialing back the combined signal. Yes, in theory it shouldn't do that, however.......
The other possibility is you are watching kcpq on its translator from Seattle, which is UHF. It looks the same, maps as 13.1. Agree, not likely, if you still have all this in the attic in Snohomish.
Without a meter to sort out the actual signal levels, it's going to be a challenge.
You could put an A/B antenna switch on the UHF part in place of the 2way split. Rat Shack makes a remote one, indoor only, but should be okay in the attic. You'll need an IR repeater, but they're cheap, as well.
Not elegant, but would work.
Dan
drlovety likes this.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking for some help with old antenna

Hi folks -

I moved into a house built in 1983, and discovered a sizable antenna in the attic space. I was pretty excited to see this because I'd like to get off of Comcast for receiving live TV. Some internet searching told me to check my channel availablity at TVFool, and while my report indicated some channels are available, they are all "2edge".

There is about 125 feet of twin lead wire coming from the antenna and running down the wall and through the crawl space to where I assume it was connected to the primary coax line into the house. That coax line is currently connected to Comcast, and runs another 15 feet to the TV.

I installed a balun at the snipped end of the twin lead (in the crawl space), and hooked it up to the coax that runs to the TV, but the autoscan turned up zero channels.

I'm looking for any help or suggestions on how to proceed next. The twin lead wire looks to be in good shape (it's all indoors), but maybe I should swap it for coax? Also, I assume there's some sort of device I can buy that can tell me the signal strength at the antenna and then again at the end of the line... ?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2015, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotnunes View Post
Hi folks -

I moved into a house built in 1983, and discovered a sizable antenna in the attic space. I was pretty excited to see this because I'd like to get off of Comcast for receiving live TV. Some internet searching told me to check my channel availablity at TVFool, and while my report indicated some channels are available, they are all "2edge".

There is about 125 feet of twin lead wire coming from the antenna and running down the wall and through the crawl space to where I assume it was connected to the primary coax line into the house. That coax line is currently connected to Comcast, and runs another 15 feet to the TV.

I installed a balun at the snipped end of the twin lead (in the crawl space), and hooked it up to the coax that runs to the TV, but the autoscan turned up zero channels.

I'm looking for any help or suggestions on how to proceed next. The twin lead wire looks to be in good shape (it's all indoors), but maybe I should swap it for coax? Also, I assume there's some sort of device I can buy that can tell me the signal strength at the antenna and then again at the end of the line... ?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!
Send a private message with your address.
Dan
Old 06-05-2015, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Install your balun (assuming it's good) directly at the antenna and run a temporary coax directly to the TV set. That will bypass all the twin lead. Make sure the TV set is switched to "antenna" mode and try the autoprogram again.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKurts View Post
Send a private message with your address.
Dan
Hi Dan - unfortunately the site tells me I need 15 posts to PM you, and I only have 1 (well, 2 now with this ).

Does this help? tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3df1f06fb8d2b00 8 (I've de-linkified it so the site will let me post it).
Old 06-05-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post
Install your balun (assuming it's good) directly at the antenna and run a temporary coax directly to the TV set. That will bypass all the twin lead. Make sure the TV set is switched to "antenna" mode and try the autoprogram again.
Good idea. Now just to find 100 feet of coax...

Is there some sort of meter I can use to measure the signal strength directly at the antenna? My concern now is that the trees around me have grown a lot since the antenna was originally put in, and this could be in the "lost cause" category.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

For those of you who subscribe to Comcast Limited Basic cable service and want to try an antenna, now's a great time to do so! Here's the reason:

On June 3, the FCC issued an order prohibiting local franchise authorities from regulating "basic cable" rates. Based upon excellent work by K Street lobbyists for Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cablevision and their fellow cable ops, the FCC determined that satellite companies DirectTV and Dish Network provide "Competing Provider Effective Competition".

The problem here, is that DirectTV and Dish have never offered anything equivalent to the low-cost "Limited Basic Cable", which primarily consists of local over-the-air broadcast channels. "Limited Basic Cable" is what cable television originally was about: improved reception in geographically-challenged locations, a/k/a Community Antenna Television (CATV).

Comcast's web site has already removed Limited Basic Cable from its sales menu, and it's quite likely that prices will be increased and eventually customers migrated to the more-expensive Digital Economy tier.

So it's a really great time to put up an antenna. If you live in a really horrible spot for reception, like many parts of Issaquah, you might send a protest to the FCC commissioners regarding this poorly-conceived decision. People who subscribe to Limited Basic are not buying access to cable networks, they are buying access to local television broadcasters who purportedly provide over-the-air service to their neighborhood within the boundaries of their Demographic Market Area (DMA).

Here's the link, written in classic Inside-the-Beltway bureaucratese: https://www.fcc.gov/document/commiss...petition-order
Old 06-20-2015, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaslu View Post
After emailing KIRO, they said they've made some adjustments to fix the aspect ratio. It is cool that they've been so responsive.
How disappointing, 7.3 is back to being stretched by default. According to the person I reached at the station, this is the way LAFF wants to display the content based on customer feedback. I'm not sure why so many people like watching distorted 4:3 content or are afraid of black bars on the sides of their screen. I can always force the correct aspect ratio using my TV's display settings, but I'd rather just opt not to watch the channel. I'm not going to change my settings just to view marginal content on a single channel. It's especially disappointing since KIRO's other subchannel, 7.2, handles 4:3 content correctly.

It is nice to see more OTA options popping up, but the quality is definitely questionable. 4:3 content isn't treated this way on streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu.
kitti likes this.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey everybody,

I'm on the east side of Beacon Hill near 23rd and McClellan, and I'm using an RCA ANT751 antenna. I've always had a weaker signal from KING-5 than from the other stations, and I've pretty much just lived with it, but recently I replaced my ChannelMaster DVRs with TiVo, which seems to have a weaker receiver, and my KING reception seems to have gotten worse. (TiVo's signal meter hovers around 45-52, and you start to notice when it's at about 49 or less.)

TVFool: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...8230eb619c1fc1

I had basically the same / slightly worse results from an indoor antenna (the Mohu Leaf), so I'm thinking this isn't just a question of moving my outdoor antenna a few feet or whatever. It's just one cable from the antenna to the TiVo, there's no splitter or anything. All the other stations come in very strong...I've never noticed any signal breakup on those.

So, what are my options? I've been told before that I have a good antenna for my area, but should I try something less directional?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:59 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaslu View Post
How disappointing, 7.3 is back to being stretched by default. According to the person I reached at the station, this is the way LAFF wants to display the content based on customer feedback. I'm not sure why so many people like watching distorted 4:3 content or are afraid of black bars on the sides of their screen. I can always force the correct aspect ratio using my TV's display settings, but I'd rather just opt not to watch the channel. I'm not going to change my settings just to view marginal content on a single channel. It's especially disappointing since KIRO's other subchannel, 7.2, handles 4:3 content correctly.

It is nice to see more OTA options popping up, but the quality is definitely questionable. 4:3 content isn't treated this way on streaming services such as Netflix or Hulu.
decidedly disappointing. i don't understand it either.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Good afternoon! I am hoping that somebody can help me figure out what the problem is that I have occurring.

I live in Auburn on the East Hill. I am about 22 miles from the main towers in Seattle. I have an external antenna setup up. The antenna is an RCA ANT751R and I have an RCA TVPRAMP1R connected as well.

I am getting KIRO (7.1, 39) with no issues at all. KING (5.1, 48) comes in fairly well but I do get some pixalization. KOMO (4.1, 38) will show as a channel that is available sometimes when I do channel scans and other times it does not find it. The channel is not watchable at all, if I get anything it is only a screen here and there.

I have tried with a few different tuners. I have a HDHomeRun I am trying with as well as a Vizio TV. I was using a splitter but have since removed it to see if I can troubleshoot the problem some more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 07-02-2015, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Komo has been down all day for me, is this a continual issue or just today?

edit: Oh the stations broadcasting antenna was on fire no biggie.

Last edited by Paintballer1305; 07-02-2015 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-04-2015, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtandrew View Post
I live in Auburn on the East Hill. I am about 22 miles from the main towers in Seattle. I have an external antenna setup up. The antenna is an RCA ANT751R and I have an RCA TVPRAMP1R connected as well. ....I am getting KIRO (7.1, 39) with no issues at all. KING (5.1, 48) comes in fairly well but I do get some pixalization. KOMO (4.1, 38) will show as a channel that is available sometimes when I do channel scans and other times it does not find it. The channel is not watchable at all, if I get anything it is only a screen here and there.....I have tried with a few different tuners. I have a HDHomeRun I am trying with as well as a Vizio TV. I was using a splitter but have since removed it to see if I can troubleshoot the problem some more.
Jim, can you provide a TV Fool plot for your home? You might provide us two charts, one showing your signals at ground level (not elevated) then at the approximate height where your ANT 751 is mounted. When you look around your neighborhood, are there tall trees? If so, you might study the TV Fool chart to see whether any of these trees could be interfering with your reception in that particular direction, particularly if there's a bit of wind and the branches are swaying. I know that the ANT 751R is a very highly rated antenna, but when I had a pro come install an antenna, he noticed that the gain for the 751R (which I had already purchased) was noticeably less than with an eight-bay Channel Master 4228 which he installed instead. Besides KOMO/38, KING/48 and KIRO/39, what other channels are you receiving at your location? Are some of those channels coming in strongly and rock-solid?

Worth noting here: Seattle area television signals come from multiple locations and directions, making reception of all of them very difficult using a single fixed antenna: Queen Anne Hill, Capital Hill, Tiger Mountain, Gold Mountain, Downtown Tacoma, and Mount Constitution.

Finally, if you like you can always PM a lurker on this forum named DanKurts. In the past, Dan has undertaken pro antenna and satellite dish installs for countless numbers of businesses and residences.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:19 PM

Hi All,

I stumbled onto this site / thread today and I was hoping I could get some advice or help, as it seems there are a lot of well informed people here.

I currently live in the Finn Hill area of Kirkland and have been enjoying not paying Comcast for cable for about 5-6 years now. We bought a house about 5 years ago and one of the things I was most excited about was being able to install an outdoor antenna (ClearStream4 is my model I believe, if that matters).

Everything worked great until recently, when a bunch of channels started dropping off. I can no longer get 5.1, 9.1, or 22.1 (and their child channels, or whatever you call the 5.2, etc stuff), which all came in beautifully up until maybe two months ago. But what is weird is that I still get 11.1 fine, and according to TVFool, those are all four almost the exact same direction from my house, give or take a degree. Other stuff from 4.1, 7.1, and 16.1 seems unaffected.

My setup is the antenna mounted on the roof at about 25 feet, a 25 foot run of coax to an amp, and then about 100 feet from the amp under the house to my TV. The antenna is pointing through a greenbelt that starts maybe 30 feet from my house, and has some 40 foot fir trees in it.

Any ideas what this could be? Any further details I could give that would help?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipFlea View Post
I currently live in the Finn Hill area of Kirkland and have been enjoying not paying Comcast for cable for about 5-6 years now. We bought a house about 5 years ago and one of the things I was most excited about was being able to install an outdoor antenna (ClearStream4 is my model I believe, if that matters)....... Everything worked great until recently, when a bunch of channels started dropping off. I can no longer get 5.1, 9.1, or 22.1 (and their child channels, or whatever you call the 5.2, etc stuff), which all came in beautifully up until maybe two months ago. But what is weird is that I still get 11.1 fine, and according to TVFool, those are all four almost the exact same direction from my house, give or take a degree. Other stuff from 4.1, 7.1, and 16.1 seems unaffected. ........ My setup is the antenna mounted on the roof at about 25 feet, a 25 foot run of coax to an amp, and then about 100 feet from the amp under the house to my TV. The antenna is pointing through a greenbelt that starts maybe 30 feet from my house, and has some 40 foot fir trees in it......
Hopefully DanKurts and others will chime in as well, here are a couple of possibilities, all of which would allow for SOME of your local channels to still be receivable:

a) At some point in the chain between the antenna headend, the initial coax run to an amp, then the remaining coax run into your home, something has become damaged or compromised by moisture;
b) Your mast-mounted preamp has stopped working, OR is malfunctioning, possibly creating a signal overload condition;
c) Trees in your immediate neighborhood have grown a bit and are interfering with the line of sight (I speak from personal experience on this one);
d) Your Clearstream antenna itself sustained some (minor) damage of some sort or another from wind or weather conditions, or even from an imperfectly-executed roof cleaning;
e) Newly-constructed homes or buildings in your local neighborhood are either blocking your line of sight or are creating various types of RF signal interference.

It's a mystery as to why KCTS, KING and KZJO are the specific channels you have lost. KZJO broadcasts from Capitol Hill as RF 25 and at 1,000,000 watts
KING transmits from Queen Anne as RF 48 at 960,000 watts
KCTS transmits from Capitol Hill at RF 9 at 21,700 watts (High-VHF stations often can transmit at lower power output than their UHF counterparts)
Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipFlea View Post
Hi All,

I currently live in the Finn Hill area of Kirkland and have been enjoying not paying Comcast for cable for about 5-6 years now. We bought a house about 5 years ago and one of the things I was most excited about was being able to install an outdoor antenna (ClearStream4 is my model I believe, if that matters).

Everything worked great until recently, when a bunch of channels started dropping off. I can no longer get 5.1, 9.1, or 22.1 (and their child channels, or whatever you call the 5.2, etc stuff), which all came in beautifully up until maybe two months ago. But what is weird is that I still get 11.1 fine, and according to TVFool, those are all four almost the exact same direction from my house, give or take a degree. Other stuff from 4.1, 7.1, and 16.1 seems unaffected.

My setup is the antenna mounted on the roof at about 25 feet, a 25 foot run of coax to an amp, and then about 100 feet from the amp under the house to my TV. The antenna is pointing through a greenbelt that starts maybe 30 feet from my house, and has some 40 foot fir trees in it.

Any ideas what this could be? Any further details I could give that would help?

Thanks in advance!
I think the first thing I would try is a rescan of your channels and if you have a second tuner/TV/DVR see if you get the same results. This is the easiest fix if it works. No climbing or taking apart your wires.Perhaps you had a power surge and it corrupted the tuners ability to find those stations. Even borrow a friends TV/tuner to check out the reception. It is highly unlikely to be from new buildings in your area. I live on Finn Hill with an unobstructed view of Seattle and have not had any problems recently. The idea of trees (deciduous) might hold water but 4,5, &7 broadcast antennas are all at the same place for you. If both 4 &7 work there should be no problem with 5. If it is the trees you probably should have had some drop out for awhile before completely losing the signal. Good luck...
Old Today, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
Hopefully DanKurts and others will chime in as well, here are a couple of possibilities, all of which would allow for SOME of your local channels to still be receivable:

a) At some point in the chain between the antenna headend, the initial coax run to an amp, then the remaining coax run into your home, something has become damaged or compromised by moisture;
b) Your mast-mounted preamp has stopped working, OR is malfunctioning, possibly creating a signal overload condition;
c) Trees in your immediate neighborhood have grown a bit and are interfering with the line of sight (I speak from personal experience on this one);
d) Your Clearstream antenna itself sustained some (minor) damage of some sort or another from wind or weather conditions, or even from an imperfectly-executed roof cleaning;
e) Newly-constructed homes or buildings in your local neighborhood are either blocking your line of sight or are creating various types of RF signal interference.

It's a mystery as to why KCTS, KING and KZJO are the specific channels you have lost. KZJO broadcasts from Capitol Hill as RF 25 and at 1,000,000 watts
KING transmits from Queen Anne as RF 48 at 960,000 watts
KCTS transmits from Capitol Hill at RF 9 at 21,700 watts (High-VHF stations often can transmit at lower power output than their UHF counterparts)

Thanks for the detailed rundown! A, and D seem most likely to me. I did clean my roof this spring/summer, but I can't for the life of me remember any correlation with the channels going away. I haven't inspected the Antenna for damage yet, but did notice that some of the screws holding it to the mast are pretty rusty. I know the screws themselves are not involved with the channel reception, but I was figuring if one part is rusting, it ups the probability that other parts are as well.

I am not 100% positive, but I don't think I have a mast-mounted preamp. The antenna just has the coax out, my amp is about 25 feet of coax away. Unless I am misunderstanding something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmn1 View Post
I think the first thing I would try is a rescan of your channels and if you have a second tuner/TV/DVR see if you get the same results. This is the easiest fix if it works. No climbing or taking apart your wires.Perhaps you had a power surge and it corrupted the tuners ability to find those stations. Even borrow a friends TV/tuner to check out the reception. It is highly unlikely to be from new buildings in your area. I live on Finn Hill with an unobstructed view of Seattle and have not had any problems recently. The idea of trees (deciduous) might hold water but 4,5, &7 broadcast antennas are all at the same place for you. If both 4 &7 work there should be no problem with 5. If it is the trees you probably should have had some drop out for awhile before completely losing the signal. Good luck...

Thanks for the tips! I did do a rescan, and it just dropped the channels that were no longer coming in. Unfortunately I do not have a second tuner to test with.

So after reading your guys' suggestions, I think my current plan of attack to minimize unnecessary cost is :
1 - borrow friends indoor antenna and test that plugged into amp (free)
2 - depending on results of 1, look into swapping out shorter coax run from antenna to amp
3 - depending on results of 1, look into purchase of new antenna
4 - test a second tuner

does that seem reasonable?