Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 343 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2015, 08:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry if this is a newbie question, but...

I finally got my first widescreen tv, which is mostly a decent experience although it seems that KIRO 7.2 and 7.3 only broadcast a widescreen aspect ratio signal instead of the content's original ratio (be it 4:3 for shows on Laff or 1.37:1/Academy for some movies on Get, etc.). Am I correct in that this is Kiro's doing and not anything to do with my set? Other channels like 4.2, 4.3, 5.2, 22.3 etc. all display in 4:3. Trying to change the ratio on my end is fruitless for those kiro stations.

7.2 and 7.3 are now unwatchable to me because of this. Why does Kiro do this (if indeed they're the ones responsible)?
stinkyx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Newbie
 
donbrazzini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Exclamation sudden signal quality loss on 9.1 KCTS HD, 11.1 KSTW HD, 13.1 KCPQ etc

I live in the Kirkland, WA .
This morning , I noticed that i could not tune into KCTS, KSTW, KCPQ (FOX) and some other channels that were generally having strong and clear reception on my outdoor roof mounted antenna(even in bad weather).
I always had signal quality loss on KING-HD during bad weather but this morning, it is even worse.

Weather is overcast but not raining and windy...nothing out of the ordinary.

I checked my outdoor mounted Antenna and the position of that Antenna has not changed. I am getting KIRO and KOMO perfectly clear.

I have tried on on 3 different tuners. My Panasonic tuner, Avermdia A188c HD Duet, Xbox one TV tuner from Hauppauge. All 3 tuners have pretty much consistent results.
donbrazzini is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 10:54 AM
Newbie
 
Daveflave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Woke up this morning and am getting no OTA reception for King 5. I get KONG 16 just fine and my understanding is they are broadcast from the same location. I heard they are in the process of moving to their new SODO location but haven't seen any news about OTA change. Re-scanned to see if anything changes but still no signal. It's a vey clear and sunny day today and I'm getting strong signals from all other channels. Please let me know if anyone else if having challenges. Thanks.
Daveflave is offline  
Old 01-01-2016, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveflave View Post
Woke up this morning and am getting no OTA reception for King 5. I get KONG 16 just fine and my understanding is they are broadcast from the same location. I heard they are in the process of moving to their new SODO location but haven't seen any news about OTA change. Re-scanned to see if anything changes but still no signal. It's a vey clear and sunny day today and I'm getting strong signals from all other channels. Please let me know if anyone else if having challenges. Thanks.
Dave,I just checked and King-5 is currently on-air.Jim
Jim in Seattle is offline  
Old 01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Reception in Tacoma/Puyallup area since 1/1/16

Hi, all. Was wondering if any of you in the south Tacoma/Puyallup/Summit area have been having reception problems since New Year's Eve.

On New Year's Eve reception got really bad, even with the good channels, leaving only 22.1-3 and 28.1-3. Since then we have only gotten 22.1-3. 28.1-3 and, on one occasion, 33.1. We still get a signal but only a very low signal and no picture or sound.

We have not changed anything with our antenna setup, and we do have some tall trees around, but we normally get pretty good reception with most channels. So I though it might have been the weather or something, but I don't know. Weather's great this morning and still we're getting nothing but a little bit of 22.1-3.

Anyone in the area have this same issue or have ideas on what could have caused the disruption? New Years 2016 conspiracy? UFOs? (just kidding...sort of )

Thanks.
OTAcoma is offline  
Old 01-07-2016, 05:47 AM
Member
 
valvashon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
VHF-HI antenna now available!

Just got the new MCM catalog and found two different VHF-HI antennas! Perfect for those of us struggling to pull in KCTS, KSTW and KCPQ! I live in the North Admiral area of West Seattle, west of California Ave. SW. Signals from Gold Mountain boom in, but Queen Anne, Capitol Hill and Tiger Mountain signals require some serious work to pull in. Here's the one I found:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2476

This is the Deep Fringe version, they sell a slightly shorter one as well. They also have a proper combiner for VHF and UHF antennas:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...8-8B7BDF7A6959

I'll order at the end of the week and let you know the results. I currently have an old Radio Shack all band antenna with the high VHF elements cut off mounted 15 feet above my roof. Looks like a UHF Yagi with two bigger elements at the back. OK for KCTS and most of the UHF signals from Seattle (breakup on KING on occasion) so it won't be hard to get a better signal.

Which would you put at the top of the mast- the UHF or VHF antenna? The UHF is the Stellar Labs deep fringe model, the one that can be positioned in two directions:

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-2430-/30-2430

I'd like to put the UHF one on top to have a chance at KUSE, but I realize that this antenna will have a lot of wind loading on my mast and tripod.

Thanks-

Val
valvashon is offline  
Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone know what happened to KVOS-12 (35)? Zero signal here all day.
Jim in Seattle is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rdvegas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Northwest Las Vegas
Posts: 1,297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Seattle View Post
Does anyone know what happened to KVOS-12 (35)? Zero signal here all day.
The staff at the KVOS Facebook page indicates that their Orcas Island transmitter suffered a major failure. A piece of equipment to get the station back on the air has been ordered, but it will take a couple of days for delivery and installation. Gone are the days when local stations have backup transmitters or extra parts in stock.

It's is my opinion that any station that nibbles on the incentive auction should immediately forfeit their license, with no pay-out, as it goes against the "In the public interest" of a tv license. Selling out in the auction only benefits the shareholders of the stations at the expense of giving the middle finger to the public. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters. We need a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby.
rdvegas is offline  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
seatacboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post
The staff at the KVOS Facebook page indicates that their Orcas Island transmitter suffered a major failure. A piece of equipment to get the station back on the air has been ordered, but it will take a couple of days for delivery and installation. Gone are the days when local stations have backup transmitters or extra parts in stock.
KVOS' current owner, OTA Broadcasting, is simply "hanging in there" keeping the station's 60-year-old transmitters operational until the FCC Broadcast Spectrum Auction jackpot comes in. http://fortune.com/2016/01/13/michae...ctrum-auction/
seatacboy is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 02:31 AM
Member
 
hitbyambulance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
did anything change within the past month or two with the KBTC Seattle-area repeater? I'm no longer able to get the station, and tvfool.com now colorcodes the station as 'red' instead of 'yellow' for my location. (just south of Green Lake, Green Lake Way N and N 51st St)

I found a Mohu Leaf 50 at the Goodwill for $5, and using it now allows me to get ION (which I couldn't get before), but the signal meter still never registers above the 'red zone' on the Zenith DTT-901 tuner for KBTC.

(or maybe nothing happened with the transmitter, and instead some new high-rise buildings were constructed between here and there...)
hitbyambulance is offline  
Old 01-18-2016, 06:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Jim in Seattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In one of Seattle's most difficult areas for OTA reception
Posts: 254
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New sub-channel / time to rescan

KBTC-28 (27) has rearranged their channel line-up and added a sub-channel, NHK-WLD.Jim
Jim in Seattle is offline  
Old 01-19-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
seatacboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,127
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyambulance View Post
did anything change within the past month or two with the KBTC Seattle-area repeater? I'm no longer able to get the station, and tvfool.com now colorcodes the station as 'red' instead of 'yellow' for my location. (just south of Green Lake, Green Lake Way N and N 51st St)

I found a Mohu Leaf 50 at the Goodwill for $5, and using it now allows me to get ION (which I couldn't get before), but the signal meter still never registers above the 'red zone' on the Zenith DTT-901 tuner for KBTC.

(or maybe nothing happened with the transmitter, and instead some new high-rise buildings were constructed between here and there...)
No changes that I'm aware of, but KBTC's Seattle transmitter is very low power, emitting 1,000 watts compared with 1,000,000 watts for KZJO higher up on the same tower. There may be new construction in the line-of-site, and also you are using a different antenna. What kind of indoor antenna were you using before? Is your new Mohu Leaf placed in the same location? You might also test your Leaf 50 with the amplifier turned off, in case KBTC/16's signal is actually too strong.
seatacboy is offline  
Old 01-24-2016, 04:56 PM
Member
 
hitbyambulance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatacboy View Post
No changes that I'm aware of, but KBTC's Seattle transmitter is very low power, emitting 1,000 watts compared with 1,000,000 watts for KZJO higher up on the same tower. There may be new construction in the line-of-site, and also you are using a different antenna. What kind of indoor antenna were you using before? Is your new Mohu Leaf placed in the same location? You might also test your Leaf 50 with the amplifier turned off, in case KBTC/16's signal is actually too strong.
still using the same RCA VHF/UHF antenna as before in the exact same place. same results with Mohu Leaf amplified (unamplified, it's worse). what's annoying is in the other room, I'm able to get KBTC just fine - Channel Master CM-7000 with RadioShack VHF/UHF antenna with a relatively strong signal. it's just 20 feet away. i can try swapping antennas and tuner boxes, but it's got to be the location, now.

need to say that i am happy to see NHK WORLD added to the 28.X subchannel lineup.

Last edited by hitbyambulance; 01-24-2016 at 05:05 PM.
hitbyambulance is offline  
Old 01-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member
 
x43x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Renton, Moshington
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Escape-TV is now live on 13.3. Program content is 16x9 and 4x3. 4x3 is stretched, not side paneled.
x43x is offline  
Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Escape-TV is now live on 13.3. ... 4x3 is stretched, not side paneled.
I guess viewers are generally fine with this? I refuse to watch 7.2. and 7.3 as all the 4x3 is stretched. It's maddening. And as I understand it there's no way to undo it, correct?
stinkyx is offline  
Old 01-31-2016, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
x43x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Renton, Moshington
Posts: 519
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
^
Actually, it just might be my TV. I checked a receiver at work and both This-TV and Escape-TV were 4x3 aspect ratio.

I also checked out 7.2 and 7.3 on the same receiver and those were stretched.
x43x is offline  
Old 02-02-2016, 03:43 PM
Member
 
happy2Lurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
KIRO-7 CBS reception problems?

Anybody else have problems with KIRO / CBS. Reception was good Sunday but some time Monday it got very weak - still bad today.
deadfwd likes this.
happy2Lurk is offline  
Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Anybody else have problems with KIRO / CBS. Reception was good Sunday but some time Monday it got very weak - still bad today.
My KIRO signal is as strong as ever. But starting last week or so my 22.3 / AntennaTV signal has been weak. And actually, right this moment it sometimes goes down to zero bars / no signal. That signal used to always be strong for me.
stinkyx is offline  
Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 PM
Member
 
happy2Lurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
stinkyx, thanks for the info. KIRO came back for me. Monday night's Colbert was really broken. I setup a recording of Tuesday's CBS news and it was fine. All good since then.

I haven't noticed any problems with 22 or it's subs, other than since adding 22.3 quality is down.
happy2Lurk is offline  
Old 02-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Newbie
 
Sue502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyx View Post
I guess viewers are generally fine with this? I refuse to watch 7.2. and 7.3 as all the 4x3 is stretched. It's maddening. And as I understand it there's no way to undo it, correct?
Hello. in your tv settings, if you set your HDTV picture size default to "native", it will display correctly
(i.e., HDTV shows broadcast in 720 and 1080 will display in HDTV/widescreen, shows broadcast in standard/420 will be displayed in 4:3), etc.

I live in Olympia. I use a Winegard indoor antenna (Costco $40, sticks to wall). I get good, clear reception for the channel 13 group (Fox) and 33 group (ION) clearly. Religious channels too. Others aren't reliable/consistent.

Thanks

Last edited by Sue502; 02-04-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Sue502 is offline  
Old 02-04-2016, 03:57 PM
Member
 
McFly9000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Palmer, WA
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2Lurk View Post
Anybody else have problems with KIRO / CBS. Reception was good Sunday but some time Monday it got very weak - still bad today.
I had this exact same problem out in the Enumclaw area. I figured it was something transmitter related because two separate antennas had the same problem. Barely any signal on the meter and not enough to lock in the channel. Any KIRO rep around that can confirm what happened? The signal was back by Tuesday night if I remember right.
McFly9000 is offline  
Old 02-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Member
 
happy2Lurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tacoma, WA
Posts: 156
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
McFly9000, good to know I wasn't the only one. Probably a station / broadcast thing if we both had the same problem.
happy2Lurk is offline  
Old 02-05-2016, 01:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue502 View Post
Hello. in your tv settings, if you set your HDTV picture size default to "native", it will display correctly
(i.e., HDTV shows broadcast in 720 and 1080 will display in HDTV/widescreen, shows broadcast in standard/420 will be displayed in 4:3), etc.
This doesn't work for me. I have an Insignia NS-40D420NA16 (very basic set, but was only $160 during a pre-black friday online sale) and the aspect options are just:

Normal
Zoom
Wide
Cinema
Auto

As such, I can watch stations like 22.3 in 4:3 since it's transmitted that way, but I can't "squeeze" 7.2 and 7.3. (The "Normal" option just shows 16:9 on 7.2. and 7.3 since that's how it's broadcast. A KIRO person told me that most people prefer a "stretched" image, which I find hard to believe, but oh well.)
stinkyx is offline  
Old 02-06-2016, 02:19 PM
Newbie
 
Sue502's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyx View Post
This doesn't work for me. I have an Insignia NS-40D420NA16 (very basic set, but was only $160 during a pre-black friday online sale) and the aspect options are just:

Normal
Zoom
Wide
Cinema
Auto

As such, I can watch stations like 22.3 in 4:3 since it's transmitted that way, but I can't "squeeze" 7.2 and 7.3. (The "Normal" option just shows 16:9 on 7.2. and 7.3 since that's how it's broadcast. A KIRO person told me that most people prefer a "stretched" image, which I find hard to believe, but oh well.)
I have a Toshiba TV. Under my settings for picture display:
My settings are Auto Aspect ON and 4:3 Stretch OFF

Perhaps you can try different display settings? Or, perhaps review your manual or ask an store clerk at Best Buy for for help with your display settings? There are many forums on this website regarding HDTV settings. Maybe one of them can help you with your display settings?

Wish you luck.

NOTE: I also have a Roku 3 and stream tv shows. (I cut cable tv a few years ago and am very satisfied. Will never go back to cable or satellite).
Sue502 is offline  
Old Today, 01:21 AM
Member
 
hitbyambulance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyx View Post
This doesn't work for me. I have an Insignia NS-40D420NA16 (very basic set, but was only $160 during a pre-black friday online sale) and the aspect options are just:

Normal
Zoom
Wide
Cinema
Auto

As such, I can watch stations like 22.3 in 4:3 since it's transmitted that way, but I can't "squeeze" 7.2 and 7.3. (The "Normal" option just shows 16:9 on 7.2. and 7.3 since that's how it's broadcast. A KIRO person told me that most people prefer a "stretched" image, which I find hard to believe, but oh well.)
your TV doesn't have this option, which is too bad. ('Zoom' will just crop the picture, 'Wide' is the wrong aspect ratio, 'Cinema' distorts the picture even further and 'Normal' just displays whatever aspect ratio is being encoded in the signal.)

my Zenith DTT-901 converter box has a 'Squeeze' option that restores the aspect ratio in silly cases like these to the proper 4:3, and remembers that setting.
hitbyambulance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off