Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 345 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 38
KCPQ quality issues

It's possible that this is due to Comcast, and not KCPQ itself, but wanted to post here to see if anyone has noticed a similar change OTA:

For about the last month, I've noticed a significant drop in quality of FOX-HD (KCPQ HD) on Comcast. The main program I record is Gotham, and I frequently see quite a bit of macroblocking appear in scenes (it will come and go). The most visible artifact is that actors faces will appear to be subdivided into blocks. It's somewhat subtle, but I see it whenever it happens, and it's very distracting.

I'm not sure if this is a change on Fox's end, or Comcast's. KCPQ-HD used to be one of the highest quality channels, even though it's only 720p. The bitrate was consistently high (around 13Mbps).

Does anyone else see this as well (OTA?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeflix View Post
So happy to see someone else having the same problem. I was about to try shifting our antenna. ABC, Fox, CW, CBS all seem fine. Sooooo annoying.
Just checking... anyone have suggestions/repros for the split second audio dropouts on 5-1?
Old 06-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Noticed on Sunday that KUSE-LD 46 is no longer carrying Retro TV; in it's place is color bars on 46.5 (as well as 46.1 and 46.7). Also noticed that the Daystar station KWDK is now mapping to 56.1.

Not sure when these changes happened as I don't currently get either at home. I was at a facility that had an OTA TV I could play with. Any idea what the problem is with Retro TV? Are they just not able to make the payments?

Val
Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Retro has been off for about 2 months or so-- which makes me think it's permanent.

KWDK, from what I can tell, should have always been pointing to 56. Being placed between MundoFox (51-2) and ABC (4-1) on the dial is probably better than being between Telemundo and Evine. There are 4 other stations in the market that don't seem to be using the correct virtual channels-- one is a full power, and 3 are low power. One of the three low powers is actually causing a PSIP conflict, which makes me scratch my head.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KCTS PBS Seattle 9.1, 9.2, & 9.3 over-the-air

At the suggestion of a friendly employee in the engineering department at KCTS 9, I connected an old-fashioned combo UHF/VHF rabbit ears and loop antenna to my coax splitter.. I'm near downtown Tacoma and have been getting a fairly consistent 16-17% signal from 9. Even though Tacoma has its own PBS channel KBTC 28.1, the programming is not identical. My rabbit ears are extended about 18" and roughly 50 degrees apart.

Of course, I am a human antenna myself and when I move about the room the signal can be interrupted. I consider it a treat whenever I get a good signal and can watch a cooking or home repair show. In addition, the price is right!

In case anyone else beyond the 40 or 50 mile perimeter of downtown Seattle has had the same problem, this may be a possible solution. The local PBS KBTC 28.1 broadcast naturally comes in around 80%.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

For the past several days I have noticed a degradation in the signal from KONG 16.1. Except for some trees it is line-of-sight from my location on Bainbridge Island. KONG has always had a good signal in the past and the other stations on Queen Anne hill aren't affected. I am using a combination VHF/UHF antenna from Radio Shack which had the longest element on the VHF part broken in a windstorm but it has been that way for a few years without any noticeable effect on reception.

Has there been a change for this ststion?

Bob

Last edited by rdn; 06-13-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread searching google for what antenna I need to ditch Comcast when we move to Camano Island in a few weeks (east side of the island near water, up from the country club). Seeing how all we watch is netflix and amazon, with plex for movies, i just need to fill in the gaps for Seahawks (KCPQ) and abc/nbc. According to the fcc site I should be able to get the following -

Strong Signal KUNS UNIVISION 51-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWDK REL 56-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWPX ION 33-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KZJO unknown 22-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KSTW CW 11-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KOMO ABC 4-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KIRO CBS 7-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCTS PBS 9-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KING NBC 5-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KONG IND 16-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCPQ FOX 13-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal KVOS IND 12-1 UHF
Weak Signal KBCB IND 24-1 UHF
Weak Signal KFFV unknown 45-1 UHF
Weak Signal KTBW TBN 20-1 UHF

In searching, I'm seeing i need an antenna that can get both "UHF" and "HI-V", I hope to feed this signal to a OTA HD DVR like Tablo so we still have DVR functionality.

I'm sure it's kinda a loaded question, and until i try some antennas out I wont know what really works well for me, but can someone give me a few to look at they might recommend?
if one can go in the attic so I don't hear about a "ugly antenna" on the side of the house, even better.

Last edited by RetchedOne; 06-15-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest.

Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

Internet access is my main problem now. I just ordered a fancy yagi cell booster antenna for my spanky new AT&T hotspot device to try in 10 days. Verizon guy already tried theirs and failed. Plan B is DSL.

I recognize a few names of the old timers still on AVS today. I only logged in because admin said my password was changed and I remembered "oh yeah, AVS...wonder what they are up to..." I see the battle continues for many. I wish you all the best of luck in getting and/or maintaining your OTA. -Larry

I've run out of witty sayings...
Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest.

Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

Internet access is my main problem now. I just ordered a fancy yagi cell booster antenna for my spanky new AT&T hotspot device to try in 10 days. Verizon guy already tried theirs and failed. Plan B is DSL.

I recognize a few names of the old timers still on AVS today. I only logged in because admin said my password was changed and I remembered "oh yeah, AVS...wonder what they are up to..." I see the battle continues for many. I wish you all the best of luck in getting and/or maintaining your OTA. -Larry
quarque, yes I remember all the help you provided to many folks in the Seattle area and beyond. Good luck with Montana and retirement.

Mike

Mike
Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
Noticed on Sunday that KUSE-LD 46 is no longer carrying Retro TV; in it's place is color bars on 46.5 (as well as 46.1 and 46.7). Also noticed that the Daystar station KWDK is now mapping to 56.1.

Not sure when these changes happened as I don't currently get either at home. I was at a facility that had an OTA TV I could play with. Any idea what the problem is with Retro TV? Are they just not able to make the payments? Val
Per the Retro TV website, KUSE-LD is still shown as an affiliate. I would guess that there is a contractual/financial dispute keeping the Retro TV feed off of 46.5.

Per KWDK, this Daystar O&O station has been on DTV RF 42 for several years, and it has mapped to virtual 42 until recently, the new virtual ID being its "old" analog channel tag. Finally, they have moved to 1080i after years stuck at a rather low-quality 480i SD. It's not a channel I've watched a lot on.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest. ....... Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

I rarely come to these forums anymore but actually still use OTA for about 8 to 10 hours/week of television viewing. More than two years ago, I hired Dan Kurts to install an outdoor antenna at our Renton Highlands home; Dan's install of a CM 4228-HD was superb and has survived several major windstorms (!), but I've learned that no matter how good your antenna install is, digital TV reception in the real world of trees and leaves, distant hills, passing moving vehicles, wind, rain, overhead aircraft and buildings can be frustratingly inconsistent.

HD televisions are very inexpensive today and we have two of them, but we still have one older set (actually a Samsung TXR-3079 HD CRT with a burned-out tuner) connected to a Zinwell ZAT-970 CECB.

Nice hearing from you! I hope you enjoy retirement in a beautiful, peaceful area.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetchedOne View Post
I stumbled on this thread searching google for what antenna I need to ditch Comcast when we move to Camano Island in a few weeks (east side of the island near water, up from the country club). Seeing how all we watch is netflix and amazon, with plex for movies, i just need to fill in the gaps for Seahawks (KCPQ) and abc/nbc. According to the fcc site I should be able to get the following -

Strong Signal KUNS UNIVISION 51-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWDK REL 56-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWPX ION 33-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KZJO unknown 22-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KSTW CW 11-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KOMO ABC 4-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KIRO CBS 7-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCTS PBS 9-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KING NBC 5-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KONG IND 16-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCPQ FOX 13-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal KVOS IND 12-1 UHF
Weak Signal KBCB IND 24-1 UHF
Weak Signal KFFV unknown 45-1 UHF
Weak Signal KTBW TBN 20-1 UHF

In searching, I'm seeing i need an antenna that can get both "UHF" and "HI-V", I hope to feed this signal to a OTA HD DVR like Tablo so we still have DVR functionality...... I'm sure it's kinda a loaded question, and until i try some antennas out I wont know what really works well for me, but can someone give me a few to look at they might recommend? if one can go in the attic so I don't hear about a "ugly antenna" on the side of the house, even better.
You need to pull up your TV Fool profile for your street address or directional coordinates. The more specific you can be, the better. Keep in mind that trees and moving tree branches, as well as nearby moving vehicles and pedestrians, can also interfere with reception. Try getting TV Fool settings at three different heights - one at 0 feet Above Ground Level (O AGL), another at 10 feet, another at 30 feet (which would be a fairly tall mast). You might send a private message to DanKurts who is the remaining antenna geek here.
Old Today, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Star Trek, all five series in the saga, will launch on KVOS-12 and possibly KFFV-44, when Heroes and Icons is added to the Seattle market.

It's is my opinion that any station that nibbles on the incentive auction should immediately forfeit their license, with no pay-out, as it goes against the "In the public interest" of a tv license. Selling out in the auction only benefits the shareholders of the stations at the expense of giving the middle finger to the public. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters. We need a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement