Seattle, WA - OTA - Page 345 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 13Likes

post #10321 of 10346 Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 41
KCPQ quality issues

It's possible that this is due to Comcast, and not KCPQ itself, but wanted to post here to see if anyone has noticed a similar change OTA:

For about the last month, I've noticed a significant drop in quality of FOX-HD (KCPQ HD) on Comcast. The main program I record is Gotham, and I frequently see quite a bit of macroblocking appear in scenes (it will come and go). The most visible artifact is that actors faces will appear to be subdivided into blocks. It's somewhat subtle, but I see it whenever it happens, and it's very distracting.

I'm not sure if this is a change on Fox's end, or Comcast's. KCPQ-HD used to be one of the highest quality channels, even though it's only 720p. The bitrate was consistently high (around 13Mbps).

Does anyone else see this as well (OTA?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10322 of 10346 Old 05-14-2016, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeflix View Post
So happy to see someone else having the same problem. I was about to try shifting our antenna. ABC, Fox, CW, CBS all seem fine. Sooooo annoying.
Just checking... anyone have suggestions/repros for the split second audio dropouts on 5-1?
post #10323 of 10346 Old 06-01-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Noticed on Sunday that KUSE-LD 46 is no longer carrying Retro TV; in it's place is color bars on 46.5 (as well as 46.1 and 46.7). Also noticed that the Daystar station KWDK is now mapping to 56.1.

Not sure when these changes happened as I don't currently get either at home. I was at a facility that had an OTA TV I could play with. Any idea what the problem is with Retro TV? Are they just not able to make the payments?

Val
post #10324 of 10346 Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Retro has been off for about 2 months or so-- which makes me think it's permanent.

KWDK, from what I can tell, should have always been pointing to 56. Being placed between MundoFox (51-2) and ABC (4-1) on the dial is probably better than being between Telemundo and Evine. There are 4 other stations in the market that don't seem to be using the correct virtual channels-- one is a full power, and 3 are low power. One of the three low powers is actually causing a PSIP conflict, which makes me scratch my head.
post #10325 of 10346 Old 06-06-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KCTS PBS Seattle 9.1, 9.2, & 9.3 over-the-air

At the suggestion of a friendly employee in the engineering department at KCTS 9, I connected an old-fashioned combo UHF/VHF rabbit ears and loop antenna to my coax splitter.. I'm near downtown Tacoma and have been getting a fairly consistent 16-17% signal from 9. Even though Tacoma has its own PBS channel KBTC 28.1, the programming is not identical. My rabbit ears are extended about 18" and roughly 50 degrees apart.

Of course, I am a human antenna myself and when I move about the room the signal can be interrupted. I consider it a treat whenever I get a good signal and can watch a cooking or home repair show. In addition, the price is right!

In case anyone else beyond the 40 or 50 mile perimeter of downtown Seattle has had the same problem, this may be a possible solution. The local PBS KBTC 28.1 broadcast naturally comes in around 80%.
post #10326 of 10346 Old 06-13-2016, 12:05 AM
rdn
Advanced Member

For the past several days I have noticed a degradation in the signal from KONG 16.1. Except for some trees it is line-of-sight from my location on Bainbridge Island. KONG has always had a good signal in the past and the other stations on Queen Anne hill aren't affected. I am using a combination VHF/UHF antenna from Radio Shack which had the longest element on the VHF part broken in a windstorm but it has been that way for a few years without any noticeable effect on reception.

Has there been a change for this ststion?

Bob

Last edited by rdn; 06-13-2016 at 12:11 AM.
post #10327 of 10346 Old 06-15-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi All,

I stumbled on this thread searching google for what antenna I need to ditch Comcast when we move to Camano Island in a few weeks (east side of the island near water, up from the country club). Seeing how all we watch is netflix and amazon, with plex for movies, i just need to fill in the gaps for Seahawks (KCPQ) and abc/nbc. According to the fcc site I should be able to get the following -

Strong Signal KUNS UNIVISION 51-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWDK REL 56-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWPX ION 33-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KZJO unknown 22-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KSTW CW 11-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KOMO ABC 4-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KIRO CBS 7-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCTS PBS 9-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KING NBC 5-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KONG IND 16-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCPQ FOX 13-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal KVOS IND 12-1 UHF
Weak Signal KBCB IND 24-1 UHF
Weak Signal KFFV unknown 45-1 UHF
Weak Signal KTBW TBN 20-1 UHF

In searching, I'm seeing i need an antenna that can get both "UHF" and "HI-V", I hope to feed this signal to a OTA HD DVR like Tablo so we still have DVR functionality.

I'm sure it's kinda a loaded question, and until i try some antennas out I wont know what really works well for me, but can someone give me a few to look at they might recommend?
if one can go in the attic so I don't hear about a "ugly antenna" on the side of the house, even better.

Last edited by RetchedOne; 06-15-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #10328 of 10346 Old 06-15-2016, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest.

Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

Internet access is my main problem now. I just ordered a fancy yagi cell booster antenna for my spanky new AT&T hotspot device to try in 10 days. Verizon guy already tried theirs and failed. Plan B is DSL.

I recognize a few names of the old timers still on AVS today. I only logged in because admin said my password was changed and I remembered "oh yeah, AVS...wonder what they are up to..." I see the battle continues for many. I wish you all the best of luck in getting and/or maintaining your OTA. -Larry

I've run out of witty sayings...
post #10329 of 10346 Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest.

Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

Internet access is my main problem now. I just ordered a fancy yagi cell booster antenna for my spanky new AT&T hotspot device to try in 10 days. Verizon guy already tried theirs and failed. Plan B is DSL.

I recognize a few names of the old timers still on AVS today. I only logged in because admin said my password was changed and I remembered "oh yeah, AVS...wonder what they are up to..." I see the battle continues for many. I wish you all the best of luck in getting and/or maintaining your OTA. -Larry
quarque, yes I remember all the help you provided to many folks in the Seattle area and beyond. Good luck with Montana and retirement.

Mike

Mike
post #10330 of 10346 Old 06-22-2016, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
Noticed on Sunday that KUSE-LD 46 is no longer carrying Retro TV; in it's place is color bars on 46.5 (as well as 46.1 and 46.7). Also noticed that the Daystar station KWDK is now mapping to 56.1.

Not sure when these changes happened as I don't currently get either at home. I was at a facility that had an OTA TV I could play with. Any idea what the problem is with Retro TV? Are they just not able to make the payments? Val
Per the Retro TV website, KUSE-LD is still shown as an affiliate. I would guess that there is a contractual/financial dispute keeping the Retro TV feed off of 46.5.

Per KWDK, this Daystar O&O station has been on DTV RF 42 for several years, and it has mapped to virtual 42 until recently, the new virtual ID being its "old" analog channel tag. Finally, they have moved to 1080i after years stuck at a rather low-quality 480i SD. It's not a channel I've watched a lot on.
post #10331 of 10346 Old 06-22-2016, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarque View Post
I just wanted to say "hello" and "goodbye". I used to frequent AVS back around 2002-09 when I was an early adopter of HD and digital OTA. Hours spent watching Over Washington, over and over... I spent many an hour helping others try to figure out reception issues using my topographic program to see what might be between a user and our beloved antennae around the Seattle area. It was fun - even arguing with Dan Kurts over antenna choices. Then I went to cable and slowly lost interest in OTA. Then I moved and went to satellite and lost even more interest. ....... Now I am retired and moving to my dream log cabin in the mountains of western Montana. Satellite is the only option there - can't even get a whiff of OTA signal even though I am at 5000 feet - there are things 6000+ feet in my way. But... they are magnificent to look at! 180 degrees worth of them!

I rarely come to these forums anymore but actually still use OTA for about 8 to 10 hours/week of television viewing. More than two years ago, I hired Dan Kurts to install an outdoor antenna at our Renton Highlands home; Dan's install of a CM 4228-HD was superb and has survived several major windstorms (!), but I've learned that no matter how good your antenna install is, digital TV reception in the real world of trees and leaves, distant hills, passing moving vehicles, wind, rain, overhead aircraft and buildings can be frustratingly inconsistent.

HD televisions are very inexpensive today and we have two of them, but we still have one older set (actually a Samsung TXR-3079 HD CRT with a burned-out tuner) connected to a Zinwell ZAT-970 CECB.

Nice hearing from you! I hope you enjoy retirement in a beautiful, peaceful area.
post #10332 of 10346 Old 06-22-2016, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetchedOne View Post
I stumbled on this thread searching google for what antenna I need to ditch Comcast when we move to Camano Island in a few weeks (east side of the island near water, up from the country club). Seeing how all we watch is netflix and amazon, with plex for movies, i just need to fill in the gaps for Seahawks (KCPQ) and abc/nbc. According to the fcc site I should be able to get the following -

Strong Signal KUNS UNIVISION 51-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWDK REL 56-1 UHF
Strong Signal KWPX ION 33-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KZJO unknown 22-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KSTW CW 11-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KOMO ABC 4-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KIRO CBS 7-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCTS PBS 9-1 Hi-V
Moderate Signal KING NBC 5-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KONG IND 16-1 UHF
Moderate Signal KCPQ FOX 13-1 Hi-V
Weak Signal KVOS IND 12-1 UHF
Weak Signal KBCB IND 24-1 UHF
Weak Signal KFFV unknown 45-1 UHF
Weak Signal KTBW TBN 20-1 UHF

In searching, I'm seeing i need an antenna that can get both "UHF" and "HI-V", I hope to feed this signal to a OTA HD DVR like Tablo so we still have DVR functionality...... I'm sure it's kinda a loaded question, and until i try some antennas out I wont know what really works well for me, but can someone give me a few to look at they might recommend? if one can go in the attic so I don't hear about a "ugly antenna" on the side of the house, even better.
You need to pull up your TV Fool profile for your street address or directional coordinates. The more specific you can be, the better. Keep in mind that trees and moving tree branches, as well as nearby moving vehicles and pedestrians, can also interfere with reception. Try getting TV Fool settings at three different heights - one at 0 feet Above Ground Level (O AGL), another at 10 feet, another at 30 feet (which would be a fairly tall mast). You might send a private message to DanKurts who is the remaining antenna geek here.
post #10333 of 10346 Old 07-21-2016, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Star Trek, all five series in the saga, will launch on KVOS-12 and possibly KFFV-44, when Heroes and Icons is added to the Seattle market. My KVOS source tells me that H&I will not in the near term land on KFFV.

Will the last subscriber leaving Dish Network please turn off the satellite.

Last edited by rdvegas; 07-22-2016 at 06:22 AM.
post #10334 of 10346 Old 08-26-2016, 02:20 PM

Would like a logical explanation to the following. My OTA experience recently on KCPQ Channel 13 is weird. I get reception from 2 different locations labeled KCPQ-DT and KCPQ-LD. One is about 8 miles away and the other is about 30 miles away (from Kirkland). Typical was my experience when watching the Seahawks yesterday; for most of the game the reception on the 8 mile away version was good and the further away one was breaking up and unwatchable. Then toward the end of the game the situation reversed and I had to change to the 30 mile away version!! Not the first time this has happened. OK, I was thankful that I had this option but what's going on here? (BTW I feed my TIVO from a window mounted MOHU-like leaf antenna that I rarely have to reposition.)

Thanks for the insights,
jiminkirkland
post #10335 of 10346 Old 08-26-2016, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminkirkland View Post
Would like a logical explanation to the following. My OTA experience recently on KCPQ Channel 13 is weird. I get reception from 2 different locations labeled KCPQ-DT and KCPQ-LD. One is about 8 miles away and the other is about 30 miles away (from Kirkland). Typical was my experience when watching the Seahawks yesterday; for most of the game the reception on the 8 mile away version was good and the further away one was breaking up and unwatchable. Then toward the end of the game the situation reversed and I had to change to the 30 mile away version!! Not the first time this has happened. OK, I was thankful that I had this option but what's going on here? (BTW I feed my TIVO from a window mounted MOHU-like leaf antenna that I rarely have to reposition.)

Thanks for the insights,
jiminkirkland
The "Leaf" type antennas are not overly good at picking up VHF channels. KCPQ broadcasts on real channel 13. The downtown Seattle repeater broadcasts on real channel 22. I don't know where you live or what the signal strength is at your location but just on the basis of the antenna you are using I would be surprised that a VHF channel cuts out.
post #10336 of 10346 Old 09-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello Guys -

I saw a couple of sub forums on HDTV, so just wanting to make sure I'm posting in the right area. I pulled cable a while ago, and have since been exploring options in the OTA/Streaming arena. I live in Bothell (approx 20 miles N of Seattle) and have been struggling to get good reception. I recently purchased a ClearStream 4V Outdoor. I have this currently on my roof pointed in a South direction. I haven't mounted the mast yet, as I am still experimenting with final location. The antenna is on my roof, approx 20ft off the ground. I have many BIG 60-100 footer fir trees that surround my house in several directions. On top of this, I'm at the bottom of a hill/easment. Lots of power lines in the south direction.

Here is my TVFool Report -

Challenges - I only seem to get a few eally good HD channels. (KCPQ, CBS, KIRO/KONG) The rest seem to be garbage stuff of SD and low quality. Does my fool report indicate that I should be getting something more decent that I am?

Questions - Should I look at investing in a an amp such as this one

What else is recommended in my situation?

Thanks!

Last edited by eiger; 09-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
post #10337 of 10346 Old 09-17-2016, 08:24 AM

Hi guys, I'm in Seattle 98115 and am having some reception issues. TV Fool report linked below. I just set up my AntennaCraft HBU22 in my attic for football season. I am just hoping to get KOMO HD ABC 4.1, KIRO HD CBS 7.1, KING HD NBC 5.1, and KCPQ HD FOX 13.1 without pixelation/shuddering. I am only 5mi from most of those but surprisingly I can't seem to pick them all up well. The antenna is aimed at about 225 degrees since FOX is at 247 and the rest are about 215. Windows Media Center says that the signal strength is 4 of 6 on all 4, and I get intermittent pixelation/shuddering on all 4. I'm getting 6/6 signal on channels 9, 11, and 22.

My coax is 100`, could that be the issue? Am I using the wrong type of antenna for this area? Thanks for any help.

tvfool.com
/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d51340ba1ddff7 7
post #10338 of 10346 Old 09-17-2016, 03:03 PM

Hoping someone can give some suggestions on this.

I recently moved from a house in West Seattle to another house in West Seattle. In my old place, I had a CM2016 mounted outside and it picked up all the major locals ABC/CBS/FOX/CW/PBS without any major issues for years. The house I just moved in to I am having considerable problems getting good, consistent signals at.

I've tried using a Leaf style antenna mounted at various spots inside as well as my CM2016 as a attic mount in the garage (it does ok in that location, but it can't pick up KBTC which is a deal breaker). It may be that I just need to mount outside again, but I'm trying to do an interior mount because I'm frankly not sure I'm not going to fall and injure myself trying to do a roof mount here (this house is 3 stories and i don't bounce).

Here's the TV fool report at my new location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbf5cd9dc8e6

Channels I need to pull in would include, CBS,FOX,NBC,ABC,CW,PBS(KBTC)
Ideally, I'd like to additionally be able to pick up Decades (KFFVDT6) and KVOSDT3).

Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I can almost pick up what I need so I'm hoping I can just tweak something and get it the rest of the way.

Thanks!

XboxLive GT: Kidar
post #10339 of 10346 Old 09-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
CM2016 as an attic mount....
My CM2016 in the attic didn't work very well until I disconnected its VHF elements. To get VHF channels, I connected short rabbit ears through a UHF-VHF combiner (MCM part 33-2230).

Indoor reception is tricky. For years I used a 4-bay bowtie and moved it around for different channels. Sometimes I still use it for KBTC 27. Of course you're aiming for KBTC 16, which looks like it should be very strong there.
post #10340 of 10346 Old 09-19-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchaney View Post
...HBU22 in my attic for football season.
I would experiment with a good UHF-only antenna, just to rule out the antenna. Maybe a corner Yagi like MCM Electronics part 30-2155. I didn't have good luck with a UHF-VHF antenna in my attic. It seemed to pick up reflections and other interference. I haven't had to deal with "2Edge" paths like yours though.

KCPQ HD is also available on real UHF channel 22, as you may know.

The long cable shouldn't be a problem, assuming it has a foil shield.
Bchaney likes this.
post #10341 of 10346 Old 09-21-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmize View Post
I would experiment with a good UHF-only antenna, just to rule out the antenna. Maybe a corner Yagi like MCM Electronics part 30-2155. I didn't have good luck with a UHF-VHF antenna in my attic. It seemed to pick up reflections and other interference. I haven't had to deal with "2Edge" paths like yours though.

KCPQ HD is also available on real UHF channel 22, as you may know.

The long cable shouldn't be a problem, assuming it has a foil shield.
Thanks for the response. Last nite I installed a preamplifier and it looks like my problem is solved! I wish I had ordered one sooner, like before I spent all Sunday morning climbing around the attic and roof trying to pickup FOX for the Seahawks game. I was having trouble getting 13.1 or 22.2, I would've been happy with either but I think only 13.1 is HD. I moved here from TX which I've learned is reception heaven with all the flat land - I guess some more serious equipment is needed around here to deal with all the hills and big trees. I got the RCA preamp off Amazon for about 20.
post #10342 of 10346 Old 09-21-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bchaney View Post
I think only 13.1 is HD.
This causes a lot of confusion. There are two transmitters that have 13.1 in HD: VHF channel 13 and real UHF 22 (both in the TV Fool list, with 22 being much stronger there). The same programming is also in SD on virtual channel 22.2, which is on real channel 25, which also has KZJO 22.1. I have a Hauppauge tuner that won't receive real 22 unless I delete VHF 13 and manually add real 22. It won't allow two virtual 13.1 channels at the same time.

Glad it seems to be working, and I hope the signals hold up in the wind!
post #10343 of 10346 Old 09-22-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
My CM2016 in the attic didn't work very well until I disconnected its VHF elements. To get VHF channels, I connected short rabbit ears through a UHF-VHF combiner (MCM part 33-2230).

Indoor reception is tricky. For years I used a 4-bay bowtie and moved it around for different channels. Sometimes I still use it for KBTC 27. Of course you're aiming for KBTC 16, which looks like it should be very strong there.
Thanks for the tip. I went out and got a combiner and put my CM2016 on the UHF side and my leaf on the VHF. Vast improvement; seems that I'm picking up most everything I need now. I'll give it a week or two before I call it good but here's hoping!

Thanks for the help. I dunno if i ever would have thought to get a combiner and split reception over two antenna for VHF/UHF.

XboxLive GT: Kidar
post #10344 of 10346 Old 09-22-2016, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassilon View Post
I've tried using a Leaf style antenna mounted at various spots inside as well as my CM2016 as a attic mount in the garage (it does ok in that location, but it can't pick up KBTC which is a deal breaker). It may be that I just need to mount outside again, but I'm trying to do an interior mount because I'm frankly not sure I'm not going to fall and injure myself trying to do a roof mount here (this house is 3 stories and i don't bounce).

Here's the TV fool report at my new location:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbf5cd9dc8e6

Channels I need to pull in would include, CBS,FOX,NBC,ABC,CW,PBS(KBTC)
Ideally, I'd like to additionally be able to pick up Decades (KFFVDT6) and KVOSDT3).

Thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. I can almost pick up what I need so I'm hoping I can just tweak something and get it the rest of the way.
Howdy! If your TV Fool report is accurate for where you live, you should receive VERY strong signal and clear line-of-sight for the Queen Anne and Capitol Hill transmitters. In fact, be very careful NOT to use an antenna amplifier, several of your stations are so strong there that you may lose picture by overloading your tuner. Perhaps you should try out a plain-vanilla Radio Shack 15-1874, a decent dipole-and-loop indoor "rabbit ears" antenna, and place it in a window facing Queen Anne/Capitol Hill. You should have no problem receiving KBTC's 1kw Capitol Hill translator on Capitol Hill (RF 16) or KFFV (RF 44). You might need an outdoor antenna aimed to the northwest to pick up KVOS and KBCB, and a separate antenna (using a switch box) aimed at the Seattle stations. I don't know if there are trees or buildings obstructing your reception, often tree branches can cause breakup or loss of signal particularly when there's wind.

If you want an outdoor antenna installed and prefer to hire a pro, or at least get some very solid advice and suggestions, I suggest Dan Kurts who has written frequently on this forum. PM me if you want me to provide his phone number. It will cost some money but he is a true professional, I have been pleased with his antenna install at our Renton Highlands house.

One last option for you is find a non-amplified Silver Sensor directional indoor antenna (made by Philips or Zenith) or the non-amplified Terk HDTVi, which also is very directional. Experiment with aiming, be sure to add some sand or heavy material to the bottom so it doesn't tip over easily. Again, place this near a window and experiment with positioning in the direction of the transmitters you want to receive. Unfortunately, the Silver Sensor antenna is no longer being made, and it is primarily a UHF antenna with very limited high-VHF reception but it should not be hard to find a used Silver Sensor.

The problem you face is that from where you live, the 14 Seattle-area transmitters are situated on six different tower locations (including KVOS and KBCB on Mt. Constitution near Belllingham), and Dan has pointed out there are technical problems which can arise when you use a "joiner" to combine antennas pointed in different directions. Good luck.
post #10345 of 10346 Old 09-22-2016, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiger View Post
I live in Bothell (approx 20 miles N of Seattle) and have been struggling to get good reception. I recently purchased a ClearStream 4V Outdoor. I have this currently on my roof pointed in a South direction. I haven't mounted the mast yet, as I am still experimenting with final location. The antenna is on my roof, approx 20ft off the ground. I have many BIG 60-100 footer fir trees that surround my house in several directions. On top of this, I'm at the bottom of a hill/easment. Lots of power lines in the south direction.

Here is my TVFool Report -

Challenges - I only seem to get a few eally good HD channels. (KCPQ, CBS, KIRO/KONG) The rest seem to be garbage stuff of SD and low quality. Does my fool report indicate that I should be getting something more decent that I am?

Questions - Should I look at investing in a an amp such as this one

What else is recommended in my situation?
Trees are a huge problem for many of us, and TV Fool's calculations may only partially reflect signal issues at your address due to trees and buildings, as well as the impact of nearby power lines. Conceivably, placing the antenna higher off the ground (i.e. maybe 30 feet) might improve signal quality on some channels. Being at the bottom of a hill/easement may make it hard to improve unless you go much higher, which becomes a more expensive and complex install in order to make the antenna secure during windstorms.

Just for clarity, here are the Seattle-market stations which transmit at least one HD signal on a primary channel or subchannel:
KOMO (4.1 only)
KING (5.1 only)
KIRO (7.1 only)
KCTS (9.1 only),
KSTW (11.1 only),
KCPQ (13.1 only)
KONG (16.1 only)
KZJO (22.1 only)
KBTC (28.1 and 28.2)
KWPX (33.1 only)
KUNS (51.1 and 51.2) and
KWDK (56.1).

As such, there are exactly 14 local HD channels locally, while there are about 45 other channels which are SD only. In many cases, many of these stations use bit-rate shaping to multicast those additional channels, reducing picture quality. Some of the stations may not interest you. In sum, programming available OTA in true HD comes from: our two public television stations, ABC, CBS, NBC, The CW, Fox, ION, Univision (Spanish), Mundo Fox (Spanish) and KWDK (Daystar religious), and independents KONG and KZJO. PM me if you want to call antenna install guru Dan Kurts and ask for his suggestions.
post #10346 of 10346 Old Yesterday, 11:33 PM

Quote:
This causes a lot of confusion. There are two transmitters that have 13.1 in HD: VHF channel 13 and real UHF 22 (both in the TV Fool list, with 22 being much stronger there). The same programming is also in SD on virtual channel 22.2, which is on real channel 25, which also has KZJO 22.1. I have a Hauppauge tuner that won't receive real 22 unless I delete VHF 13 and manually add real 22. It won't allow two virtual 13.1 channels at the same time.

Glad it seems to be working, and I hope the signals hold up in the wind!
Good to know, that is very confusing. You were right, I'm still having reception issues. Idk if it's the wind or what. I never noticed the 2edge path notation on my report until you mentioned it, I guess that is what's causing my issues. Damn, this is frustrating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page