Forum Jump: 
 14Likes
post #10351 of 10357 Old 10-20-2016, 03:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
local channel reception problems

I live in Port Orchard and my channel 7, 11, and 22 keeps going out. I have the hardest time keeping these channels, especially 7 after the recent wind and rains. I am thinking I need a new outdoor antenna but am so confused as to what I should get. Do I need two antennas, one for vhf and one for uhf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10352 of 10357 Old 10-21-2016, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seattle, WA HD OTA Antenna HELP

Hello,

Looking to cut the cord finally and trying to figure out which long range antenna to go with.

Here's my report from TVFool.com:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbb21353f1fb

I am only interested in the major broadcast channels south of me, both UHF and VHF. They at 180° true north and 201° true north. Distance is 60 miles to both UHF and VHF receivers. Which antenna would serve me best for picking up these Seattle market channels?

I am able to mount the antenna off of my detached garage, which allows me to go up 30' - 50'. It also gives me an unimpeded sight line at 180° true north. 201° true north is slightly blocked by one tree.

Thanks!
post #10353 of 10357 Old 10-22-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
From this and other recent comments. "I have the hardest time keeping these channels, especially 7 after the recent wind and rains. I am thinking I need a new outdoor antenna but am so confused as to what I should get".

I have a directional antenna on the roof (Juanita - perhaps 100' above Lake Washington) , helped by Dan Kurts, pointing towards Queen Anne and Capital Hill. It's about 7 miles to the station antennas, with trees on my property, the neighbor, and a spur on a hill. I'm also receiving from ION - much farther and at right angles - rarely problems from that station but I don't use it much.

I might be able to take out a few branches on my trees, and (less likely) the neighbor's trees. The trees on the spur are not something I'm likely to be able to do much about.

I wonder if it would work to angle the antenna up by a few degrees. I'd need some different hardware to do that - and a stretch of good weather to try. Like now, but I don't have time.

I've seen some discussion about antennas on trees. That might work, if more height would help. A lot of effort to try, although I'd love to have tree climbing gear to remove branches and ivy for looks anyway.

Most of the antennas in the neighborhood (few and some appear to be totally disfunctional) are directional. One of the houses I walk past has an antenna like the DB8 from Antennas Direct - described as long-range bowtie. I wonder if a less directional antenna would be better. I don't know which way this is oriented, but I'll check. I just noticed that the DB8E has two panels that can be oriented differently.

Would it be better to have an antenna designed for shorter range, particularly if the antenna is directional? TV Fool says an internal antenna is OK, but it doesn't know about the trees.

Any comments appreciated.
Mike

Last edited by KirklandMike; 10-22-2016 at 11:57 AM. Reason: update
post #10354 of 10357 Unread 11-20-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but just recently I'm seeing two channel 13-1 options, one listed as KCPQ-DT as before, and another now shown as just KCPQ. I'm getting slightly better signal strength with KCPQ, so I can now watch Seahawks games in 720p. I used to have to watch them on 22-2 in horrible 480i.

Anyone know anything about this? Is it maybe a signal booster antenna closer to Seattle they're running? It's the only thing I can guess with same channel getting more signal strength. Whatever it is, I hope it stays.

I read Fox abandoned their purchase of KBCB, so apparently it has nothing to do with anything in Bellingham.

Last edited by Hi Def Fan; 11-20-2016 at 11:46 PM.
post #10355 of 10357 Unread 11-21-2016, 12:35 PM

The mention of signal strength in @ Hi Def Fan 's message prompts me to ask if anyone has any recommendations for signal strength meters - such as the
Winegard RFL-342 SensarPro White TV Signal Strength Meter ?

I know it's not HD TV, rather HD Radio, but is anyone else experiencing only 1 channel from King FM for the last few days? The others seem to have stopped, both at home and in the car.

Last edited by KirklandMike; 11-21-2016 at 12:37 PM. Reason: typo
post #10356 of 10357 Unread 11-23-2016, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafixguy View Post
Hello,

Looking to cut the cord finally and trying to figure out which long range antenna to go with.

Here's my report from TVFool.com:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e2cbb21353f1fb

I am only interested in the major broadcast channels south of me, both UHF and VHF. They at 180° true north and 201° true north. Distance is 60 miles to both UHF and VHF receivers. Which antenna would serve me best for picking up these Seattle market channels?

I am able to mount the antenna off of my detached garage, which allows me to go up 30' - 50'. It also gives me an unimpeded sight line at 180° true north. 201° true north is slightly blocked by one tree.

Thanks!
Update - I have installed a channel master CM-2020 with a CM-7778 pre-amp. Antenna is about 35' above ground and pointed at 182 degrees true north. I pick up 10 channels - 7, 12, 13, 19, 24, 33 and 56 (incl. sub-channels). Signal strength for each channel ranges from 40-70%. No other items are installed.

I would really like to also pick up channels 4, 5, and 11. Would switching to the CM-7777 pre-amp provide enough boost to make this happen or would I need to switch to a different antenna?
post #10357 of 10357 Unread Today, 12:53 PM

Despite moving closer to the towers in Seattle, I'm having a ton of trouble getting a good signal at my new place. Does anyone know of any professional antenna installers in the area that they'd recommend? I'm at the point where I'm going to have to (likely) do a roof mount and I'm not particularly comfortable getting up 3 stories high to mount an antenna.

XboxLive GT: Kidar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception