Wilmington, NC - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2218 Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good Morning Wilmington! Hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving.

I live off Sidbury Road, north of Wilmington. We just bought a HD set and I installed a OTA antenna (DB4 on a 30' mast).

I currently have the antenna pointed West (~270 degrees). We have lots of pine trees in our line of sight but we still get great reception. According to AntennaWeb we are 25 miles from most of the antenna's.

WWAY (3.1-3) 93%
WECT (6.1-2) 80%
WPXU (35.1-4) 73% (This is the independent out of Jacksonville)
WUNJ (39.1-5) 94%

We can't pick up FOX yet (WSFX) but hopefully that will change soon as we watch a lot of FOX shows.

We have Charter cable up here as well and I went the OTA route due to their lack of HD programing.

NC88KEYZ,

Where did you hear the rumor about Charter leaving? I currently work from home and depend on broadband internet. If one provider leaves are there rules/laws in place so that people have continuous service?

Bryant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2218 Old 11-27-2005, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Bryant,

Charter would not leave cold turkey....It would switch hands to say TWC or COX, Comcast. Someone that can run a real cable company in South Wilmington area. I work with the public and talk to a lot of techs from TWC and employees alike. Charter has a very small stake in this area and its due for some changes. I probally still wouldnt change over though, as I am very happy with satellite services provided by Directv and things will only get better.

post #273 of 2218 Old 12-03-2005, 07:38 AM

Everyone should be aware that Time Warner is currently saying that "they expect to have some HD DVR/Cable Boxes by Christmas". If you are in the same shape as I am and bought an HDTV the day after Thanksgiving (BIG SALE!), then you may have quite a while to wait for an HD DVR. The "by Christmas" thing was told to me by someone at the Cable Store in Westfield Independence Mall yesterday (Dec. 2). On Nov. 29 a TWC representative at their main office to me (incorrectly, I think) that such DVR's would be available by Dec. 5. It appears that the left hand does not know what the right is doing at TWC.

You should also know that the HD version of the TWC cable TV Guide is only available on the HD DVR. Due to some software issue, that Guide looks terrible when viewed with their HD Cable Box.
post #274 of 2218 Old 12-06-2005, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If Wayne Estabrooks is still reading, I get your PBS 39 digitals out of Delco very strong, but I cannot get WECT. (I am in Jacksonville) So your signal is much better, even at this lower power. WECT aims its signal too much to the west of Wilmington. They should have left it non-directional, like yours is. LOL

I cannot get WUNM dt at all without a fight by the way....... But since Delco works so well, I really don't need it.
post #275 of 2218 Old 01-04-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamchemist View Post

Hi nc88keyz,

So, does everyone South of Monkey Junction get Charter cable instead of Time Warner? If so, how is HD on Charter? Like I said in an earlier post, it seems the TWC is only beginning to get its act together for HD.

Since you are in the area, you will know what I am talking about - I took the plung yesterday at the big day-after-Thanksgiving sale that Best Buy had and bought a 46" Toshiba DLP HDTV. Now I just have to figure out how to fit in onto our TV table.

Ron

No I am south of monkey junction off river road and Have Time Warner, However my father is on the other side of Monkey Junction and gets charter.
post #276 of 2218 Old 01-04-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspENC View Post

If Wayne Estabrooks is still reading, I get your PBS 39 digitals out of Delco very strong, but I cannot get WECT. (I am in Jacksonville) So your signal is much better, even at this lower power. WECT aims its signal too much to the west of Wilmington. They should have left it non-directional, like yours is. LOL

I cannot get WUNM dt at all without a fight by the way....... But since Delco works so well, I really don't need it.

jspENC,

Yes I still tune in to AVS Forum ocassionally. I don't know why you can't get WECT as they are at 565 Kw but their signal is directional away from Wilmington. Their signal is about .2 to .4 relative field in the direction of Wilmington but should be higher or near maximum toward Jacksonville.
WUNJ-DT operates an omnidirectional anrtenna (Same power in all directions) except when we are on our emergency antenna. We are at 287 kilowatts in all directions and will be at 700 kw omnidirectional from WUNJ hopefully by June 30 2006. WUNM, our Jacksonville station is only at 65 kilowatts on physical channel 18 and will be until after the shutdown of analog and we will move to channel 19. It is adjacent channel to our high power NTSC analog and that may cause problems with some receivers. Thanks for your comments. I am glad you are able to receive Delco so well. After the transition when analog is shut down we plan to broadcast digital on physical channel 19 and hope to raise the power from the Jacksonville station at that time.

Wayne Estabrooks
Chief Engineer - Transmission
UNC-TV
post #277 of 2218 Old 01-22-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Wayne, I am just now reading this, but wanted to say that I am not the only one who gets PBS on 39. Over at the Circuit City here in town they also use 39. For some reason it is very easy to pick up.
I do get WECT in the evenings and early morning, but it is very weak, and goes out once in a while. Afternoons it never comes in.
post #278 of 2218 Old 01-22-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Click on this link, it has the polar plot and coverage map. This is different than the FCC map and polar plot.
http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...ibit_id=120713

I guess this is why I dont get ECT
post #279 of 2218 Old 02-27-2006, 07:09 PM

Does anybody know if WECT-DT has plans in the future to raise their broadcasting power? I'm over in Laurinburg and can get a hint of the signal, but not enough to do anything with.

I've currently got a DB8 antenna with a preamp mounted on the roof of my house (approximately 30 ft in the air) and all I see is 10-20% signal
post #280 of 2218 Old 03-01-2006, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambandit View Post

Does anybody know if WECT-DT has plans in the future to raise their broadcasting power? I'm over in Laurinburg and can get a hint of the signal, but not enough to do anything with.

I've currently got a DB8 antenna with a preamp mounted on the roof of my house (approximately 30 ft in the air) and all I see is 10-20% signal

Not that I am aware of, but anything is possible, since they own the big 3 in Wilmington now... The problem is not your antennas, because I do not get the signal
very often either, and I am only 54 miles away.
post #281 of 2218 Old 03-02-2006, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhambandit View Post

bhambandit,

I don't think WECT has any plan in the near future to increase power. They do not have any FCC applications on file. WECT is at 575 kW ERP on physical channel 44 directional away from Wilmington.
I am curious to know if you are able to receive UNC-TV's WUNJ-DT from the same tower? WUNJ-DT is at 287 kilowatts omnidirectional on physical channel 29. WUNJ has a construction permit to go to 700 kW at WUNJ-DT Wilmington and hopes to be at that power level before the end of June 06.

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #282 of 2218 Old 03-02-2006, 09:07 PM

Wayne:

I'm not even getting a blip on WUNJ. And actually tonight I'm not getting anything on WECT either. I'm going to try to raise my antenna some more this weekend and see what happens. I think I'm going to have to accept that I'm in a dead zone for any NBC stations. All of the contour maps on the FCC site are showing me between 10 and 20 miles out of the broadcast zones for any stations I want to pick up.
post #283 of 2218 Old 03-07-2006, 06:51 PM

To my friends and DT viewers,
I wanted to let OTA viewers know that UNC-TV has not been broadcasting OTA HD since 10:20 PM on Friday March 3, due to some serious technical problems. We had a failure of our large UPS and tripped a 1600 amp 3 phase 480V breaker at our headquarters network operations center and we were off the air statewide digital and analog for awhile Friday night. We hope to return our 8pm to 11pm OTA HD schedule as soon as we can get equipment up and running. We had numerous equipment and computer failures, servers, automation etc. related to the power outage. We regret this inconvenience to our viewers.

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #284 of 2218 Old 05-28-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot get the WWAY digitals. For me they have been out for the last 2 days. Can anyone receive them?
post #285 of 2218 Old 05-28-2006, 04:38 PM

I was about to say the same thing, I was wondering or HOPING that they had turned them off to put up the WSFX transmitter. Maybe just optimistic.
post #286 of 2218 Old 05-28-2006, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I cannot get the WWAY digitals. For me they have been out for the last 2 days. Can anyone receive them?

My guess is the storm earlier this week knocked them off air.
post #287 of 2218 Old 05-28-2006, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso321 View Post

I was about to say the same thing, I was wondering or HOPING that they had turned them off to put up the WSFX transmitter. Maybe just optimistic.

I don't think they will have to turn off WWAY dt to turn up WSFX dt. The WSFX antenna is quite a bit lower down on the tower, and much weaker. I'm hoping they mounted the antenna for WSFX on the north side of the tower so I will have a better chance for a signal up here in Onslow county!

By the way, keep trying 30 because sooner or later they will have to start burning in
the tubes, and maybe we will get a glimmer of a signal when this happens... LOL

Since this humidity has come up, I am getting WECT dt a lot more often by the way
post #288 of 2218 Old 05-29-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

By the way, keep trying 30 because sooner or later they will have to start burning in
the tubes, and maybe we will get a glimmer of a signal when this happens.

I try 30 atleast once everyday.
post #289 of 2218 Old 05-29-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

WWAY still down. They either had some major malfunction, or everyone is off for the holiday!
post #290 of 2218 Old 05-30-2006, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Sometime between 7:30am and 1:30pm WWAY-DT came back on air today.
post #291 of 2218 Old 06-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Wayne! Daryl! Long time!

Howdy... I haven't been following the local HD forums much ever since I folded and got TimeWarner basic "lifeline" cable--just so I could get Fox in HD for "24". The other HD on Fox has been a plus also... Along with that I get all the other locals in HD through my MDP-130 QAM computer card (and I still have the -120 card in my other computer for OTA). Too bad WILM is only in stereo...

Fox OTA would be nice eventually too...

Take care guys...

Marc
post #292 of 2218 Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 AM

Daryl, Marc, & Wilmington OTA DT viewers;

Please be advised that UNC-TV's Wilmington Station, WUNJ-DT went to full power of 700 kilowatts last evening at 6:05 PM

This should help those with marginal signal out in the fringes like Myrtle Beach.

I would appreciate any feedback from our viewers.

For TWC cable viewers, we are hoping to have a 24 hr HD and multicast SD feeds up on cable for all of our digital services in Wilmington in the not too distant future.

Wayne Estabrooks
UNC-TV
post #293 of 2218 Old 06-09-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Wayne,

Thx for the info. After a week with my antenna disconnected from the OTA Digital input (testing my tv's built-in TVGOS with OTA analog input to see if it even works cause it won't get crap over Cable analog input). Turns out with OTA analog ch.31 WUNU out of Lumberton is my host channel for TVGOS. I thing TWC is stripping the TVGOS VBI data from WUNU on TWC ch.12 which sux. I just hooked it back up to the OTA Digital input late this morning. I normaly receive both Raleigh stations and WWAY-DT but at the moment I'm getting neither but I should by this evening so should get WUNJ-DT then. I've gotten WUNJ-DT 39.1-5 ocasionally before.

Marcs,

Someone at Wilmmington forum HERE said they spoke with WSFX's engineer and he said:
Quote:

that they are building the transmitter (what ever that means) and FOX should be on the air in about 30 days. The signal will be arriving to all of us from the WWAY tower in Winnabow

post #294 of 2218 Old 06-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, activity in the ILMHD forum! I haven't been there in ages, too many spammers registering, I'll have to pay them a visit later today...

You know, speaking of WWAY being off-air a while back, I was thinking one advantage of cable is being able to still get the HD signal since it shouldn't rely on whether the xmitter is working or not--but I didn't have WWAY on cable either. And I assumed TimeWarner would be getting the network HD feed directly rather than relying on their own OTA reception of WWAY--but either that's not correct, or WWAY had a very serious equipment problem.

Ok, who's going to hold their breath first waiting for Fox HD to be live???

Wayne, I'll check out my reception OTA for WUNJ, although it's never really been a problem for me with the little Radio Shack amped antenna.

Good news too about expanded HD times! Do you know how much bandwidth cable gives to the HD channel? More, less, or same as OTA? There's still quite a bit of variance in picture quality that must be related to the program/content itself, assuming the bandwidth remains relatively the same over time.

e.g. Austin City Limits almost always has artifacts, whereas Soundstage is almost always pristine, same for Rudy Maxa, that show is spectacular. The one on the Greek Islands was just amazing picture quality. Some of the shows on N.C. are fairly decent, with moderate artifacts...
post #295 of 2218 Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcS View Post

You know, speaking of WWAY being off-air a while back, I was thinking one advantage of cable is being able to still get the HD signal since it shouldn't rely on whether the xmitter is working or not--but I didn't have WWAY on cable either. And I assumed TimeWarner would be getting the network HD feed directly rather than relying on their own OTA reception of WWAY--but either that's not correct, or WWAY had a very serious equipment problem.

That varies with stations. TWC gets some feeds directly over fiber, some they get using antennas.

As for WUNJ-DT. I'm getting no signal at all while WWAY-DT is locking in at a steady 57%. I guess I'm correct that WUNJ-DT is physical ch.29.1-5 (39.1-5 virtual)? Is the transmitter directional like WECT-DT's which I have trouble getting most of the time. (I'm far away also).

EDIT: I just got a weak bleep of 14% signal from physical ch.29 but onnly for a couple seconds. And WECT-DT physical ch.44 hit 18% for a second or two.
post #296 of 2218 Old 06-10-2006, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the Wilmington forum has been hacked by some ignorant a$$wipe.
post #297 of 2218 Old 06-14-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Wayne, I just realized that WUNJ was up in strength. I now get it with an SNR rate of 25. The strongest possible with the box I use. I also get WWAY, WITn, WNCT, WCTI, and WPXU at that strength. WUNM comes in around a 20.

WECT is in and out. Mostly out. I am lucky to get an SNR of 15.

Daryl, maybe you should turn your antenna some, or raise it a bit. You should get WUNJ stronger than WECT. I use a Channel Master 4221 bow tie model tied into a cheap RS
VU90xr I think it is.
post #298 of 2218 Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I cannot log into the ILM site. The hacker has fould it all up........
post #299 of 2218 Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

I can get into the ILMHD site, no problem--or at least I can read it. Don't know if I want to log in though, because if it was hijacked, it might have become some sort of a phishing site now...?
post #300 of 2218 Old 06-15-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Daryl, maybe you should turn your antenna some, or raise it a bit. You should get WUNJ stronger than WECT. I use a Channel Master 4221 bow tie model tied into a cheap RS
VU90xr I think it is.

I'm sure I could but it's not necessary. I get WUNU-DT 31.1 thru 31.5 out of Lumberton. Plus I have my antenna set to get both Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville the best I can which also pulls in Florence/Myrtle Beach solidly. So I never turn my antenna accept after a couple months to resync the rotors direction. I can get WWAY-DT 3.1 almost 24/7 and I can get both WECT-DT & WUNJ-DT about 40-50% of the time. Sometimes the weather knocks out everything except WPDE-DT 16.1 & WWMB-DT 20.1 for a day or two.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page